Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Frank 20-08-2004 06:05

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/88/17/28m.jpg

Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388367/

Quote:

Based on the true story, Stan "Tookie" Williams was founder of the notorious Crips street gang. Awaiting execution on death row, Tookie is now determined to stop the violence he helped create. When he begins a crusade to steer children away from gangs by writing a series of powerful anti-gang books, he earns worldwide critical acclaim, as well as four Nobel Peace Prize nominations.
Not what I expected, but then I read the wrong summary on IMDB before watching it! :dunce:

Nevertheless, it made my uncle sit up straight in the chair the whole way through, which is rather rare, and my Aunt kept her eyes open the whole way through too, which is even more rare. A very interesting movie -- based on a true story, I might add, and also a film which prompted me to go and Google for Stan "Tookie" Williams afterwards.

You'd have to be in the right mood to watch this -- if you want action and explosions -- then this isn't the film for you. This is a strong drama, and as such is quite captivating. An evening well spent.

etccarmageddon 20-08-2004 08:33

the problem with Alien Vs Predator is the budget was only $70million.

half the budget of a typical summer blockbuster (eg. X2)

SOSAGES 20-08-2004 08:46

x2 wasnt all that either and had an even lamer ending that only fans of the series would have a clue what it means -
a v p was let down not by its budget but by a naff director and no big names - also i think it missed its premier date as it was still being put together in the edit studio... if $70 million gets u a few rubber aliens 3 predator suits and some space ships nocked up in 3dstudio then its a sad state of affairs :)

ZrByte 20-08-2004 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES
snip...
also the predators them selves are meant to be young and in training to be a proper predator yet they kinda look slow and overweight and not at all like the ninjas of the first 2 films, yeah they are young but they have had 100 years to prepare for rite of passage and they turn up looking like a couple of fat bums who cant be arsed :)

Dont forget there are different sizes of predators and they have different strengths & abilities based on thier Size. Don't know what the actual names for them are but the game AvP II refers to them as light, Medium, Heavy & Assualt. Judging by how cumbersome they seem in the film I'd say they are a mix between Heavy & Assualt predators.
Overall I quite enjoyed the film, most of it made sense and it was a good excuse for a bit of mindless violence in the Alien & Predator Universe. It may well have revived the franchise aswel and I think that a sequal to this movie aswel as Alien 5 & Predator 3 will also be given the green light based on the success this has had so far.
Now there is one problem I had with the film and also there is another point of yours I want to answer but I dont want to spoil the film so highlight to read....
Why did the Queen Alien attack the Predator at the end? if he was carrying her young she wouldnt have attacked unless he attacked her first, wich he hadnt, and even then she would have been reluctant (We have seen this behaviour in Alien 3.).
As for your thing about the Aliens Growing to quick, I think its suggested that the predators have done something to the queen, I think the sparks of electricity are meant to suggest that they have speeded up her egg laying cycle, its also pretty plausable that they speeded up the alien Growth and developement aswel to speed up the hunt.

Overall I'd give it about 8/10, it was good but was let down by its short running time a lack of dialogue (Well interesting dialogue anyway) and a few bad mistakes. The way how the aliens are portrayed in this is much better than ever before, they look & act like they are supposed to, like Animals rather than like a guy in a rubber suit.

Mr_love_monkey 20-08-2004 10:41

I've not seen it, but someone out there didn't think much of catwoman

etccarmageddon 20-08-2004 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte
Now there is one problem I had with the film and also there is another point of yours I want to answer but I dont want to spoil the film so highlight to read....

thanks for hiding the spoilers and can everyone follow this example please! and perhaps also put in caps SPOILERS AHEAD.

cheers

etccarmageddon 20-08-2004 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES
x2 wasnt all that either and had an even lamer ending that only fans of the series would have a clue what it means -
a v p was let down not by its budget but by a naff director and no big names - also i think it missed its premier date as it was still being put together in the edit studio... if $70 million gets u a few rubber aliens 3 predator suits and some space ships nocked up in 3dstudio then its a sad state of affairs :)

I think part of the problem with these films is the studio dumbs them down to get a 12a rating - see terminator 3, van helsing etc for examples of how violence is being removed from films so they can have a larger audience.

I note that (for example) Taking Lives was at the flicks as a 12a but now comes out as a Directors Cut with extra Jolie breast shots for the DVD release and the marketing people even released photos to the papers this week to hype this up - claiming that Angie had 'allowed' the director to put these scenes back into the film when really this is about putting a 'lite' version out at the flicks and the real version on DVD.

Same thing happened with 'the girl next door'.

SOSAGES 20-08-2004 13:41

they dumb them down to make more money i assume as u can get a bigger audience for a lower rating but its just silly - i grew up with the alien/predator films and i enjoyed the comics and the back story .... it seems lately i am often let down by action films.

*MAYBE SOME SPOILERS BUT I DID TRY NOT TO GIVE MUCH AWAY* :)

@zrbyte your obviously a sci fi fan (as ur b5 avatar shows) you say the predators are "between Heavy & Assualt predators" do u think they did well against the aliens? u saw the sfx cip showing 1000's of aliens v 3 predators they did ok ;) the first 2 in this film just sucked - about the end with the queen - I to agree with what u said why she did that is a mystery but at the time its not known for 100% if the predator has it by us but im sure the queen knew - wasnt it alien 4 where the alien wouldnt attack riply cos she was part alien ? and in alien 3 it didnt attack cos she had one inside her maybe they just cocked up i dunno :)

about the eggs - in aliens we see the queen laying eggs they seemed to be going pretty quick to me i thought the electric shock was just to revive here from her frozen state.

Quote:

Bloody-Disgusting has a report from a recent screening of Alien vs. Predator which included a Q&A with the film's writer and producer Paul W.S. Anderson. Here's an interesting bit...

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

Ramrod 22-08-2004 09:57

Just saw Intolerable Cruelty (Catherine Zeta-Jones & George Clooney)
Excellent film, highly recommend it :tu: :)

Mr_love_monkey 22-08-2004 14:13

You are joking aren't you???

I hated that film, I thought the title referred to what the audience had to go through...

Bex 22-08-2004 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Just saw Intolerable Cruelty (Catherine Zeta-Jones & George Clooney)
Excellent film, highly recommend it :tu: :)

wouldn't say it's the best movie i've seen but wouldn't say it's the worst either.
one of the worst would have to be "down with love" now that is a pile of cac

just watched "pay it forward" i love that film, the basic premise of doing good deeds for others it a nice one

Electrolyte01 22-08-2004 16:06

Alien - 8/10
Aliens - 9/10

Need I say more? :D

Ramrod 22-08-2004 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
You are joking aren't you???

I hated that film, I thought the title referred to what the audience had to go through...

Huh? Why? What didn't you like about it? :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex
wouldn't say it's the best movie i've seen but wouldn't say it's the worst either.
one of the worst would have to be "down with love" now that is a pile of cac

Oh, of course it's not the best, but it wiled away a hour or two quite pleasantly......and it was very funny :D

Bex 22-08-2004 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Oh, of course it's not the best, but it wiled away a hour or two quite pleasantly......and it was very funny :D

can think of far better things to wile away an hour or two :naughty:

Ramrod 22-08-2004 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex
can think of far better things to wile away an hour or two :naughty:

Not had any recently? oops: :D :Sprint: