Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

CycoSymz 10-12-2007 14:30

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Satan's Little Helper - 5/10 - Good idea for the plot but needed lots more blood and guts.

Aragorn 10-12-2007 14:35

Beowulf - 9/10 - If, like me, you enjoy a couple of hours of 'suspend reality and enjoy the ride' this is great fun. Pretty gory in places and def not one for the kids but very enjoyable.

Maggy 16-12-2007 17:18

Just been watching My Neighbour Totero on Film 4.Magical...Why is Japanese animation so much better than any Disney rubbish these days?

Definitely 10/10

SOSAGES 20-12-2007 23:09

ok.
the professionals (1966) -
big stars - big guns - a touch of the dirty dozen and a twist at the end - But still NOTHING on any of the dollars trilogy or anything with Clint in it really. 6/10

Death at a funeral (limited screens) -
Had the pilot from firefly in it (dosnt he show up in lots of films?) oh and that midget (i think he was a midget) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795368/ who is also in EVERYTHING. Anyway seemed to be a harmless low budget frank oz flick i didnt laugh much but it was ok. 6/10

Benders big score (animated)
Superb fun lots of in jokes and laughs :) bring it back!

Stardust:
Apart from seeing dexter fletcher it was a complete load of rubbish the dude didnt ask him self once what was going on!
4/10 maybe good for kids i dunno

mrmistoffelees 21-12-2007 10:00

Balls of Fury 0/10 not even going to waste my time with comment

SOSAGES 22-12-2007 10:09

school for scroudrels -
billy bob thornton + Jon heder it was average. A nice idea but i didnt laugh. A small cameo from Ben Stiller as well...anyway Avoid :) 5/10

Mr Woodcock -
Billy bob thornton + Stiffler! - Again not much fun even if it did have Randy from My name is earl in it. Avoid :) 5/10

American Pie beta House -
well having watch the naked mile i had to watch Beta house and while looking at naked girls was great fun the comedy was lacking and i LOVE teen frat house comedy stuff but this was useless give me Animal house any day ! TOGA TOGA TOGA! 3/10

Holloween (2007 version)
Mr zombie did the remake here and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Im not a huge fan of horror movies as to be honest i spend most of the time avoiding the screen :) It didnt really explain why he was a nutter but u learn he was a nutter from a very very early age. 7/10

Eastern Promises.
Ok it wasnt until the end of the film and i looked on IMDB that i learnt it was our man Strider from LOTR being the clever russian dude. The best bit of the film is the naked fight towards the end - Bit of a naff ending i hope they do a sequal. 8/10

Rush Hour 3:
He is to old :( and i love him and it just isnt funny now. 4/10

Shoot Em Up:
Now this looked crap so i avoided it until the other day. Clive owen who i have a lot of time for lately was pretty good - a no nonesence dude with a gun and a baby to look after. A good bad guy to chace Clive about and loads and loads of silly stunts with guns :) Harmless film but by no means a classic. 6/10

The Kingdom:
Her from alias - Him from Ray/Collateral. About a FBI team in the middle east investigating a bombing. Seemed to be a good idea but the actual solving of the case didnt seem to take long and the film was to short for me. We directed and with nice camera work. It was just the plot that let it down it didnt really excite me. 6/10

The heartbreak Kid (2007 version)
well its ben stiller (and his dad) doing what ben stiller does in every other film he has ever been in. A nice twist at the end and some of the scenes with his mental wife did make me laugh but disapointing really especially the whole love side of the story. 6/10

WAR -
Jet lie and mr Crank him self. Well my god that was a silly film and by the end i wasnt sure what the hell was going on. Some ok fight scenes i do enjoy Jason Statham films simply because i know what i will get. By no means a classic or probably worth watching but if you do watch it tell me what happened at the end i didnt pay much attention as it was getting silly. Oh a great bit when he attaches the bomb to the dog :)
5/10

alferret 22-12-2007 20:58

I am Legend.

Spoiler: 
Will Smith is back in this remake of The Omega Man.
Flashbacks help tell the story and keep it going when it starts to go a little flat.
Loosely based on the book of the same name Smith plays the part of Robert Neville, someone who he thinks is the last man alive after a cure for cancer turns into a pandemic killing all humanity and along the way creating a class of sub-humans who are at a disadvantage when going out in the sunlight (Vampire'ish) where they react with UV light.
His fight to survive by hunting wild game, his dog Sam helps keep him sane, although the interaction between Smith and the manequin goes a tad to far in the wrong direction IMO.
The effects are some of the best I have seen in a film of this genre` the overall structure flows quite well althought I would have liked the film to have been a little longer with more being shown about how Neville has survived for the 3 years since the pandemic started and maybe a spin-off tv series showing how the other survivors got together.

Overall a pretty good film, if you get to see it on the big screen do, its worth the £5 or so. If you can grab it elsewhere the small screen wont really do it justice

8.5/10 :tu:

SOSAGES 22-12-2007 21:35

I am Legend:
i wonder what arnie would of done in it... Anyway it was ok i knew as soon as i saw a cute animal in it that my wife would cover her head with a blanket every time the animal looked likely to be in trouble.
An ok remake kinda different films - It ignore the book a lot but thats ok. I think it was to short for a film about everyone on earth either dying or being eaten by nasties.
Will Smith was very good and the sound track was awesome :) A bit of me kept wishing that they would follow the books plot just a little as i got a faint glimpse of it early on but ho hum.
7/10 - Nice will smith - to short not enough closure.

greencreeper 22-12-2007 23:47

Just watching the Bourne trilogy - nice boxed set, in a metal case. Dinted though - Royal Mail for you :rolleyes: Watched the first two so far. Very low-key is the violence - it's more of a thriller than anything. Quite scary though - makes you wonder if any of it is real. I would imagine most of it is - which begs the question, "How did 9/11 happen then?" Anyway - so far 9/10

Oh and Matt Damon with no shirt on :drool:

Maggy 23-12-2007 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencreeper (Post 34457367)
Just watching the Bourne trilogy - nice boxed set, in a metal case. Dinted though - Royal Mail for you :rolleyes: Watched the first two so far. Very low-key is the violence - it's more of a thriller than anything. Quite scary though - makes you wonder if any of it is real. I would imagine most of it is - which begs the question, "How did 9/11 happen then?" Anyway - so far 9/10

Oh and Matt Damon with no shirt on :drool:

Low key violence?Well in as much as he's trying NOT to get caught I guess so but really I see nothing low key about the violence or the car chases.Brilliant series though and each one is as good as the others.Not often one can say that about a series of films especially in this genre.:D

greencreeper 23-12-2007 00:13

If it was, say, Tarantino, you'd have lots of blood all over the place - possibly assorted body parts - and lingering shots thereof. Slow-mo too. Hence "low key".

Maggy 23-12-2007 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencreeper (Post 34457385)
If it was, say, Tarantino, you'd have lots of blood all over the place - possibly assorted body parts - and lingering shots thereof. Slow-mo too. Hence "low key".

He's a man in a hurry so no time to linger.Besides which these people aren't killing 'cos they like it, they are killing because it is expedient therefore they will do it as quickly and as cleanly as possible and then leave as quietly as possible which moves us onto the next scene tout suite.The violence is still rather nasty and some of the fights are quite long and sustained.It seems more realistic to me.Tarantino films seem so fake.

Did you know that it is a fallacy that being shot flings you backwards away from the shooter...it never happens that way.

greencreeper 23-12-2007 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognitas (Post 34457397)
He's a man in a hurry so no time to linger.Besides which these people aren't killing 'cos they like it, they are killing because it is expedient therefore they will do it as quickly and as cleanly as possible and then leave as quietly as possible which moves us onto the next scene tout suite.The violence is still rather nasty and some of the fights are quite long and sustained.It seems more realistic to me.Tarantino films seem so fake.

Exactly, Coggy - contract killing is clinical, so it would never have worked to make it gory and flashy. I agree there were one or two nasty scenes though not as bad as they could have been. Each killer also appears to have a preferred method, which would make sense, and not always one that doesn't leave a mess. But sometimes a mess is needed if certain people are to be convinced it was someone (or some group) else responsible, and not the Americans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognitas (Post 34457397)
Did you know that it is a fallacy that being shot flings you backwards away from the shooter...it never happens that way.

I did, yeah - it varies greatly. Some do fall backwards, but others fall forward.

SOSAGES 23-12-2007 21:48

i find the boune trilogy makes an excellent attempt at giving me some of that 70's-80's espionage thriller feel back to my tv screen. I keep expecting Gene Hackman to turn up

Maggy 23-12-2007 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencreeper (Post 34457399)

I did, yeah - it varies greatly. Some do fall backwards, but others fall forward.

Mostly they just fall straight down.:erm: