Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : 360 downgrade (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711670)

david_w2k 31-01-2023 14:21

360 downgrade

So in a moment of madness I believed the 360 was an upgrade to my V6. Not looking to start yet another debate on this but I miss the series link functionality.

I am assuming this is a no but has anyone successfully managed to get Virgin to ‘downgrade’ back to the TiVo software? I cannot see any technical reason why it cannot be done - worst case ship a v6 with TiVo software and remove the 360 option on my account? I’d happily pay to be honest, despite the fact there is no official virgin comms saying there are huge differences.

Funny thing is when I asked this on chat earlier the support person told me there must be a fault as 360 is an upgrade in every way!!

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Update - have escalated in support and they are looking into it - we’ll see!

Cheile48 31-01-2023 15:54

Re: 360 downgrade

The series link situation with 360 is what is putting me off "upgrading" and the more I read I am sure I will definitely stick with my two trusty V6s until there is no option but to move to 360. Perhaps the series link carry on will be sorted ou by then?

fox35 31-01-2023 16:26

I successfully managed to revert my 2 360s back to V6s. It can be done. Just depends on who you get when you call up customer services. I just persisted after initially been told it can't be done, and it's a one way track etc. I explained I was missing functionality and that I couldn't get used to the UI. So, they relented and sent me 2 V6 boxes by courier and I returned the 360s. I was lucky to get through to a UK CS advisor who was very helpful.

david_w2k 31-01-2023 17:08

Appreciate the insight! After a few calls/chats they have ordered 2x replacement V6 boxes but apparently an engineer needs to swap them so need to wait a couple of weeks. Relieved but not getting my hopes up until it is reverted… I did check several times that they won’t just auto ‘upgrade’ again

Did you have any issues?

1701-e 31-01-2023 17:23

What's the problem with series links? The user interface takes a while to get used to but I like it now.

david_w2k 31-01-2023 17:29

For me personally the only way I got any value from the 100s of channels was being able to set up series links for any show even if it’s not on TV now. The TiVo software then records episodes across any channel at any time. The 360 one is more basic which I am sure for many people is absolutely fine

1701-e 31-01-2023 18:07

I use wishlists for shows not currently broadcast. But each to their own.

david_w2k 31-01-2023 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36144841)

Will give that a go! Happy to be convinced

nomadking 31-01-2023 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36144841)

With using series links you don't have to keep an eye on things. If a new series comes along or is repeated. it;s automatically added.

1701-e 31-01-2023 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36144843)
With using series links you don't have to keep an eye on things. If a new series comes along or is repeated. it;s automatically added.

The difference being that you can't see a list of series links. I'm getting used to it. The interface is modern and the box runs faster than TiVo.

Frazz 02-02-2023 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_w2k (Post 36144816)
So in a moment of madness I believed the 360 was an upgrade to my V6. Not looking to start yet another debate on this but I miss the series link functionality.

I am assuming this is a no but has anyone successfully managed to get Virgin to ‘downgrade’ back to the TiVo software? I cannot see any technical reason why it cannot be done - worst case ship a v6 with TiVo software and remove the 360 option on my account? I’d happily pay to be honest, despite the fact there is no official virgin comms saying there are huge differences.

Funny thing is when I asked this on chat earlier the support person told me there must be a fault as 360 is an upgrade in every way!!

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Update - have escalated in support and they are looking into it - we’ll see!

Yeah I reverted back to TiVo. 6 on the 2 TiVos we have, 360cannot be classed as an upgrade.

If you have any issues go on to ceoemail.com and get the email address of the virgin CEO. One of his team will call you back and you'll be able to switch back.

david_w2k 02-02-2023 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazz (Post 36145083)
Yeah I reverted back to TiVo. 6 on the 2 TiVos we have, 360cannot be classed as an upgrade.

If you have any issues go on to ceoemail.com and get the email address of the virgin CEO. One of his team will call you back and you'll be able to switch back.

Thank you. Yeah I got through to the next level of support and they just said yes that’s fine we’ll need to replace both boxes. Seems it depends who you get through to. If I have any issues I’ll take your advice! Am imagining the engineer may turn up with 360 boxes but I checked several times and they said it will be TiVo V6s :-)

Edit - having had a few days using 360 now I can see why some people will like it. Some aspects are slick (like continuing watching on other box). For me though the ability to set series links across channels and when not current scheduled was a huge benefit of TiVo I took for granted.

fox35 02-02-2023 22:19

So up until the end of last year VM were adamant that reverting to the TiVo V6 boxes after "upgrading" to the 360 Horizon will never happen under any circumstances, but now I've noticed more and more allowed to so, myself included.
So why the sudden, albeit much appreciated, change of policy?
Have they finally realised that the TiVo V6 software with its much enhanced functionality is superior to their own 360? Hopefully, any near future forced migration to the 360 have now been scrapped for another year or 2 at least.

RichardCoulter 03-02-2023 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36145085)
So up until the end of last year VM were adamant that reverting to the TiVo V6 boxes after "upgrading" to the 360 Horizon will never happen under any circumstances, but now I've noticed more and more allowed to so, myself included.
So why the sudden, albeit much appreciated, change of policy?
Have they finally realised that the TiVo V6 software with its much enhanced functionality is superior to their own 360? Hopefully, any near future forced migration to the 360 have now been scrapped for another year or 2 at least.

Let's hope that this is the case. Would be even better if they added the few good things (like voice control) trom the 360 to the V6!

Mr K 03-02-2023 07:42

Be nice if they let those.that still had the old tivo boxes to upgrade to a V6. Last time I tried this they said I could only have 360, an offer I refused.