Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Sudden Wifi Calling problems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711493)

Corey N Georgie 24-11-2022 15:44

Sudden Wifi Calling problems

Its times like this I wish dad was still around so I could pick his brains.

I have a question for a friend regarding sudden issues plaguing his wifi calling. He has a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G and also a TP Link AX3000 router with a Virgin Media 500mb connection.

For over a year there's been no issues what so ever and suddenly now if he tries to use this feature at home when he's talking to people it sounds as if he's a robot and the signal crackles, yet if he comes to mine I have the TPLink AX6000 with a 1GB/S all is well.

I have made sure all the firmware on both phone and router is up to date and it all is so I'm at a loss.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try to improve the issue?
Thanks.

Jaymoss 24-11-2022 15:57

Re: Sudden Wifi Calling problems

Maybe set the wifi channels out the way of other routers in the area. Unless changed they tend to always broadcast on the same channels even when set to auto detect best frequency.

Are the 5G and 2.4G bands split? if not that might be an option too and see which works better

idi banashapan 24-11-2022 19:30

Have all involved devices been restarted? Router, access points, mobile. Whilst the mobile may working at a different location, restart it all the same.

Restart the router first, allow 5 minutes, then restart all connected devices involved.

Corey N Georgie 25-11-2022 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36140709)
Maybe set the wifi channels out the way of other routers in the area. Unless changed they tend to always broadcast on the same channels even when set to auto detect best frequency.

Are the 5G and 2.4G bands split? if not that might be an option too and see which works better

WIFI channel connects on best channel optional its set Auto at the moment I thought this was best and yes 2.4G are split.

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36140720)
Have all involved devices been restarted? Router, access points, mobile. Whilst the mobile may working at a different location, restart it all the same.

Restart the router first, allow 5 minutes, then restart all connected devices involved.

Mobile has been restarted at least 10 times to my knowledge and so has router, the router has also been set to auto restart every Sunday night.

Jaymoss 25-11-2022 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie (Post 36140744)
WIFI channel connects on best channel optional its set Auto at the moment I thought this was best and yes 2.4G are split

I personally have never found my router set to anything other than the standard channel everyone else is on

tweetiepooh 25-11-2022 09:07

And when you try to set the 5GHz to something quiet you get a warning that you are selecting a frequency that may be used by radar or similar and the router then just uses the default channel.

Jaymoss 25-11-2022 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36140753)
And when you try to set the 5GHz to something quiet you get a warning that you are selecting a frequency that may be used by radar or similar and the router then just uses the default channel.

I had to set 5G out of normal range for some smart kit a couple of years ago and that was fine. It is mostly 2.4g gets congested anyway and that would be fine for wifi calling

Hom3r 25-11-2022 15:50

try the app wifi analyzer, it tells you your channel and if any neighbours are using it.

Corey N Georgie 26-11-2022 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36140785)
try the app wifi analyzer, it tells you your channel and if any neighbours are using it.

Could u link me to this please as there seems to be so many to choose from.

SnoopZ 26-11-2022 08:48

I think they all basically provide the same information when you select to view in graph mode.

I just installed an Android one with 10million installs called WiFi Analyzer (open-source) which will do what you need.

Corey N Georgie 02-12-2022 15:36

I've tried switching to the least impacted channel which is 13 and its made no difference.