Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

Damien 25-06-2016 16:57

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35845583)
Correct. Makes more sense in French, where their province is Bretagne and we are Grand Bretagne.

I was in Bretagne last weekend and there were so many English people! Not really relevant I guess but it's this region of France that must just have lots of expats for some reason, not sure why because the weather is no better. :confused:

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Good post on the challenges of another IndyRef in Scotland: https://next.ft.com/content/4610a46e...6-a4a71e8140b0

Incidentally Scottish Labour haven't ruled out supporting it and the Scottish LibDems, such as they are, will meet this week to decide their stance.

Chris 25-06-2016 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35845585)
There's a plan, the remain side should've pushed to hear what it was, things could've been different if they'd concentrated on what the opposition were saying and expected the future to hold rather than painting scary pictures of wwiii

What Remainers should have done over the last six months is give us some of the euro-co-operation, we're-in-this-together, our-identity-is-European-and-proud they've been carpet bombing Facebook with over the last 24 hours. Who knows, they might just have impressed on some people how much this all mattered to them. But all we got was the official line, the threats of the budget from hell and all the rest of it.

heero_yuy 25-06-2016 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35845588)
What Remainers should have done over the last six months is give us some of the euro-co-operation, we're-in-this-together, our-identity-is-European-and-proud they've been carpet bombing Facebook with over the last 24 hours. Who knows, they might just have impressed on some people how much this all mattered to them. But all we got was the official line, the threats of the budget from hell and all the rest of it.

Indeed I can't recall any positive message on remaining in the EU. All we got was project fear and increasingly stupid, ridiculous, and finally fantasy statements about the supposed dire consequences of leaving. No wonder the electorate rejected them.

techguyone 25-06-2016 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845586)
I was in Bretagne last weekend and there were so many English people! Not really relevant I guess but it's this region of France that must just have lots of expats for some reason, not sure why because the weather is no better. :confused:

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Good post on the challenges of another IndyRef in Scotland: https://next.ft.com/content/4610a46e...6-a4a71e8140b0

Incidentally Scottish Labour haven't ruled out supporting it and the Scottish LibDems, such as they are, will meet this week to decide their stance.

Your link is behind a payroll.

martyh 25-06-2016 17:09

Quote:

I do expect a budget though ,there will have to be a lot of our finances re-targeted to allow for extra civil servants to accomplish the job ahead ,and i'll bet that because we've been in the EU so long there won't be many experienced negotiators around

ntluser 25-06-2016 17:13

Quote:

George Osborne's biggest mistake was not to quote figures in support of his argument.

He could have quoted the gross payment we make to the EU along with the rebate and grants received covering a period, say, of the last five years.

These would be concrete provable facts. He didn't.

He said there would be a £30 billion hole in our public finances if we left but did not explain how he arrived at the figures.

He has completely destroyed his credibility.

RichardCoulter 25-06-2016 17:18

Im surprised that the EU haven't rolled over yet, they're more arrogant than I thought they were.

Still, there's time yet for a settlement.

Pierre 25-06-2016 17:19

Apart from if the economy tanks big time..............

What real material differences will impact old Jo public?

I can't think of any.

martyh 25-06-2016 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35845595)
Im surprised that the EU haven't rolled over yet, they're more arrogant than I thought they were.

What settlement ? and roll over ? if you think the EU will all of a sudden capitulate and give UK special status in the community then you are sadly very mistaken .

Damien 25-06-2016 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35845591)
I do expect a budget though ,there will have to be a lot of our finances re-targeted to allow for extra civil servants to accomplish the job ahead ,and i'll bet that because we've been in the EU so long there won't be many experienced negotiators around

Also Wales and Cornwall so far have come out and called for the government to match their EU funding so that'll have to be done.

Pierre 25-06-2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845598)
Also Wales and Cornwall so far have come out and called for the government to match their EU funding so that'll have to be done.

No it won't.

martyh 25-06-2016 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845598)

In the short term maybe but Wales voted by a large majority to leave knowing full well that it would be an end to EU subsidies .

Any idea how long we will continue paying into the EU or receiving money.Does that stop immediately or in 2 yrs ?

Pierre 25-06-2016 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35845600)
In the short term maybe but Wales voted by a large majority to leave knowing full well that it would be an end to EU subsidies .

Any idea how long we will continue paying into the EU or receiving money.Does that stop immediately or in 2 yrs ?

I would expect that until we cease to be member we pay in and also receive the benefits of membership.

heero_yuy 25-06-2016 17:36

It'll take a bit of time before the Germans can take up the slack and pay what we were. I wonder how Merkle will sell that along with the millions of immigrants that also will be costing?

Ignitionnet 25-06-2016 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35845595)

Not sure how many times it has to be repeated that they can't and won't roll over, as if they do the EU is toast. Any agreement must leave them able to point to advantages for other nations of remaining.

The only option other than that is reform of the entire EU and there isn't time for that even if there were the appetite.