Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Local TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33689787)

Doug P 24-06-2014 15:59

Re: Local TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35709406)
None of those TV companies exist anymore.
They were also regional, not local

Hence my using the word "used" :p:

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35709416)
I know! I'm being sarcastic back

I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35709413)
He was joking, CJ.

:-)

cj136uk 24-06-2014 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35709458)
Hence my using the word "used" :p:

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------
not being sarcastic now. ITV was never local tv, it was REGIONAL television based on areas of many towns and cities.

:-)

steveh 25-07-2014 15:18

So London Live is predictably trying to get out of its local commitments:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...ocal-tv-london

It's not London and it's not Live...

andy_m 25-07-2014 17:18

I have to say I think it's a shame, and I agree with the article - they've certainly tried to make it work. It's actually not a bad channel, certainly compared to some of those with national licences, and I'm not convinced by the public apathy argument. What I would say is that, for a multitude of reasons, London does not, to me, have the community feel that other parts of the country appear to enjoy. Rather, it is a mix of communities living side by side, and that mix is deepening. I'm not sure how you cater for that.

I have a feeling that the experiment will be more successful elsewhere, but it also feels like something that probably came 20 or 30 years too late. Competing with multi-channel tv packages and an increasing shift towards time-shift viewing and streaming services was always going to be difficult.

Media Boy UK 25-08-2014 12:14

Belfast Local TV Channel NvTV has confirmed that they will relaunch on Freeview on September 29th.

Also viewers in Brighton & Hove can now turn into tests for Latest TV (Launching on Thursday). Latest TV will also launch on Virgin Channel 159 in the Brighton & Hove area.

vincerooney 25-08-2014 15:30

local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.

spankysmagicpian 25-08-2014 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35724083)
local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.

Because, as it's been probably been mentioned, the US local TV are affiliated to the big networks like your example Fox 59. They are basically the same as the old ITV regions (but smaller) showing the popular programmes in peak time but having opt outs for local programming such as news.

Actually - it would be more akin to say in Liverpool having 5 stations called LBBC (local TV showing BBC shows) LITV (local TV showing ITV shows) etc etc

Tricky Trevor 29-08-2014 05:20

Notts TV are doing very well

http://www.nottstv.com/news?id=54

Media Boy UK 29-08-2014 10:13

Seven Local TV Channels test starts.

Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can now view test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Cardiff, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent.

Q: WHERE DO I FIND MY LOCAL TV TESTS?
A) Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can find test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent on Freeview Channel 8.

Freeview viewers in Cardiff area can find test cards for Made in Cardiff on Freeview Channel 23.

Media Boy UK 24-10-2014 10:16

STV: STV bids for local TV licences in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

STV today (24th October 2014) confirmed it has submitted applications to Ofcom to deliver local TV in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

The applications have been submitted in partnership with Robert Gordon University and North East Scotland College in Aberdeen, the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) in Ayr, and Abertay University and Dundee and Angus College in Dundee.

http://www.stvplc.tv/blog/2014/10/st...ayr-and-dundee

Itshim 24-10-2014 16:32

Having tried "Made in Cardiff " I guess it just as well only people in Cardiff see it. To my mind it is rubbish. I was really looking forward to it as well, Hy Ho

braysoj1 24-10-2014 19:38

will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own

Mad Max 24-10-2014 20:18

Can't get my head around this, how much TV do people actually watch? Going by some of the posts in here it must be near 24/7.......:)

spiderplant 24-10-2014 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 35737325)
will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own

As things stand you won't get either. According to this a Keighley channel would be technically possible, but at the moment nobody is planning to run one.

You might be able to get Made In Leeds on Freeview.

Media Boy UK 31-10-2014 13:15

Ofcom reveal new list for local TV.

Ofcom has today reveal the list of local TV Broacasters hoping to run the local TV Channel in the following areas:

Aberdeen: Around Aberdeen (Run by STV)
Ayr: Ayrshire Today (Run by STV)
Carlisle: That’s Carlisle
Dundee: View from the Bridges (Run by STV)
Inverness: ICTV
Stoke on Trent: Bay TV Stoke

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

More info at: http://www.a516digital.com/2014/10/n...v-licence.html