Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Local TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33689787)

Itshim 19-09-2012 15:12

Local TV

It has been announced that the contract for local TV has been awarded to Made TV ltd. In their case for both Bristol & Cardiff .

What a the chances that they will be available on Virgin. Or will freeview be the way to see them ?:dozey:

Media Boy UK 19-09-2012 16:09

Re: Local TV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35475898)
It has been announced that the contract for local TV has been awarded to Made TV ltd. In their case for both Bristol & Cardiff .

What a the chances that they will be available on Virgin. Or will freeview be the way to see them ?:dozey:

Here is the latest I have:

Only 'Lincolnshire Living' as been confirmed as launching on Virgin TV = If they do launch on Virgin Media they will launch in the 6-- channel numbers after News Channels.

The following Local TV areas will launch by:

=== March 2013 ===
-Made in Bristol (Bristol, Mendip, Kings Weston relay, Ilchester Crescent relay)
-Made in Cardiff (Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend)

=== September 2013 ===
-Lincolnshire Living [Grimsby (Parts of Kingston upon Hull)] (Is Broadcasting as Seven on Virgin Channel 879 right now).
-Latest TV [Brighton and Hove]

=== October 2013 ===
-Mustard (Norwich)

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

Keep up to date on my blog @ http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/p...ed-190912.html

Itshim 19-09-2012 16:36

Thank you - Made in Cardiff TV gets less interesting if it is covering such a wide area.
The spin I saw ( no I do not recall were ) seemed to implie it was Cardiff only.

nodrogd 22-09-2012 16:46

From OFCOM's Statement on licencing local television:

1.5 The L-DTPS licence is only for a service carried on this local multiplex, i.e. on digital terrestrial television (DTT). L-DTPS licensees may wish to distribute their services on satellite and/or on cable and/or online, subject to commercial negotiations. A separate Television Licensable Content Service (TLCS) licence would be required for any such simulcasts.

So, in other words, carriage on cable is subject to commercial agreement AND the TV company going to the additional expense of obtaining an additional licence for cable distribution.

Source document

Itshim 24-09-2012 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35476935)
From OFCOM's Statement on licencing local television:

1.5 The L-DTPS licence is only for a service carried on this local multiplex, i.e. on digital terrestrial television (DTT). L-DTPS licensees may wish to distribute their services on satellite and/or on cable and/or online, subject to commercial negotiations. A separate Television Licensable Content Service (TLCS) licence would be required for any such simulcasts.

So, in other words, carriage on cable is subject to commercial agreement AND the TV company going to the additional expense of obtaining an additional licence for cable distribution.

Source document

So in Virgins case the answer I suspect is NO:)

Media Boy UK 03-10-2012 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35475924)
Ofcom awards more local TV licences

The new licences are for digital terrestrial TV (DTT) channels in Bristol, Cardiff and Norwich

=== March 2013 ===
-Made in Bristol (Bristol, Mendip, Kings Weston relay, Ilchester Crescent relay)
-Made in Cardiff (Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend)

=== October 2013 ===
-Mustard (Norwich)

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

New one been added today.

=== April 2014 ===
-Notts TV (Nottingham)

Media Boy UK 10-10-2012 12:39

-Sheffield Live (SLTV) to launch in 2013.
-NvTV to launch in Belfast also in 2013.

More on my blog later today.

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

eep up to date on my blog @ http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/p...ed-190912.html[/QUOTE]

Media Boy UK 10-10-2012 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35483393)

-Sheffield Live (SLTV) to launch in 2013.
-NvTV to launch in Belfast also in 2013.

More on my blog later today.

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

eep up to date on my blog @ http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/p...ed-190912.html

=== September 2013 ===
-NvTv (Belfast)

=== October 2013 ===
-SLTV/Sheffield Live (Sheffield)

For full info to go the 'Coming to an area near you!!!' page on my blog

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Media Boy UK 27-10-2012 10:29

=== January 2014 ===
-Thats Solent (Southampton)

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

Media Boy UK 07-11-2012 12:37

More names of local TV Channels confirmed by Ofcom.

-City TV Broadcasting will launch in Birmingham by June 2013.
-Thats Oxford hope to launch in Oxford sometime in 2014.

cupcakes aka dd 09-11-2012 10:23

City TV will be on the air via freeview next year. The BBC is contributing £25-40 million towards capital costs of building the TV infrastructure and up to £5 million a year over three years to acquire local content.

Jameseh 09-11-2012 14:48

How on earth can the BBC afford that?

toady 09-11-2012 18:00

They can't its been forced on them. Someone feels that local TV will be the solution to everything, whereas in reality it will be a complete waste of money and will fail just like all previous attempts at local TV have

beeman 10-11-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35494784)
How on earth can the BBC afford that?

I would guess it is the money the BBC has had to spend annually on the digital switch over for the past 10 odd years. which now switchover is complete is spare.

Media Boy UK 23-11-2012 12:32

Guardian.co.uk is reporting:

Quote:

''Ofcom has delayed a decision on awarding all the remaining local TV licences and now expects to wrap up the process by the end of February, meaning a likely three-month delay for an announcement on the lucrative London franchise. This delay means the local TV licence for the London area, which caters for 4.3 million homes, is expected to be awarded by the end of February. The five London bidders had been told informally by Ofcom to expect a decision in November.

Ofcom said the delay had nothing to do with problems over the Nottingham and Sheffield licences which emerged last week.

This means the Newcastle bid is likely to be decided by the end of December, with Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester by the end of January. The Leeds, Liverpool, London and Preston bids are now scheduled to be awarded by the end of February.''
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...cence-decision

Media Boy UK 06-12-2012 12:52

=== March 2013 ===
-Made in Tyne and Wear (Newcastle)

©copyright 2012 Ofcom.

Media Boy UK 11-01-2013 09:31

=== 2013 ===
-GTV (Glasgow)
-ETV (Edinburgh)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.

Media Boy UK 04-02-2013 12:40

=== By October 2013 ===
-LONDON LIVE (London)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.

Media Boy UK 08-02-2013 11:53

=== By October 2013 ===
-YourTV Manchester (Manchester)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.

Media Boy UK 15-02-2013 12:01

The following Local TV areas will launch:

=== 2013 ===
-Made in Leeds (Leeds)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.

Rillington 16-02-2013 18:42

It seems as though thus far this will be the only local TV channel which will appear on Virgin Media (I'm not including the Grimsby local channel which has been on VM for many years).

spiderplant 16-02-2013 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 35537460)
It seems as though thus far this will be the only local TV channel which will appear on Virgin Media (I'm not including the Grimsby local channel which has been on VM for many years).

This suggests otherwise
http://recombu.com/digital/news/ofco...ed_M10460.html

Rillington 17-02-2013 14:46

Reading the article (dated May 2012) it suggests that VM takes a different view as "Associate Counsel for Virgin Media Ronee Isaacson’s letter states:

“Virgin Media is strongly of the view that by far the best way of delivering local content is through an ‘App’. Virgin Media believes that this method of delivery is the appropriate way for a new innovative service such as this to be delivered. This is primarily because it enables the content provider to deliver richer more interactive experiences which are more engaging and in tune with where the market is developing...

"In the event that Local programming and content is delivered as an application Virgin Media would support reserving one slot on the first page of the applications area of the TiVo user interface alongside (for example) BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc an alternative to a linear EPG position.”

Although I do accept that later in the article VM does say that it is "in favour of adding a local news channel to its EPG" possibly within the news section of the EPG, on the grounds that not everyone has Tivo.

Media Boy UK 17-02-2013 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 35537733)
Reading the article (dated May 2012) it suggests that VM takes a different view as "Associate Counsel for Virgin Media Ronee Isaacson’s letter states:

“Virgin Media is strongly of the view that by far the best way of delivering local content is through an ‘App’. Virgin Media believes that this method of delivery is the appropriate way for a new innovative service such as this to be delivered. This is primarily because it enables the content provider to deliver richer more interactive experiences which are more engaging and in tune with where the market is developing...

"In the event that Local programming and content is delivered as an application Virgin Media would support reserving one slot on the first page of the applications area of the TiVo user interface alongside (for example) BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc an alternative to a linear EPG position.”

Although I do accept that later in the article VM does say that it is "in favour of adding a local news channel to its EPG" possibly within the news section of the EPG, on the grounds that not everyone has Tivo.

I think 'Made in Leeds' is the 1st broadcaster to confirmed that it will be on Virgin Media.

I hope GTV my local area Channel will be on Virgin Media but you ever know what STV will do. Sky viewers still cant view STV +1 or STV HD yet.

Media Boy UK 21-02-2013 12:45

The following Local TV areas will launch:

=== September 2013 ===
-Bay TV Liverpool (Liverpool)

©copyright 2013 Ofcom.

Rillington 08-07-2013 11:57

Have any other local TV licensees announced if they are going to be available on Virgin Media?

Media Boy UK 08-07-2013 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 35593226)
Have any other local TV licensees announced if they are going to be available on Virgin Media?

The local London channel hope to launch on Virgin Media but is not happy with Virgin given them Channel 159.

Media Boy UK 01-08-2013 14:05

Local TV outside England not going to be on Freeview Channel 45 - but lower.

The Freeview web site has confirmed that Film4 +1 will launch on Freeview Channel 45 on August 27th.

But that was set to be use for Local TV Channels in Scotland and Wales.

No word yet on the new channel number for Local TV in Scotland and Wales yet but we at Media Boy HQ thinks Local TV outside England and Ireland will launch on Freeview Channel 34 or 41.

Media Boy UK 02-10-2013 00:26

Ofcom reveal more broadcasters hoping to run local TV Channels.

Ofcom has reveal information on who may run local TV Channels in the following areas:

Bangor:
-Bay TV Gwynedd

Cambridge:
-Cambridge Presents

Middlesbrough:
-Made in Teesside
-TeesVision

Mold:
-Bay TV Clwyd
-Serch TV Mold

Scarborough:
-Yorkshire Coast TV

Swansea:
-Bay TV Swansea
-Love Swansea

York:
-The York Channel

The winners will be reveal at an later date.

Media Boy UK 03-04-2014 19:45

Local TV update:

Broadcasting right now:
-Estuary TV (Grimsby)*
-Mustard TV (Norwich)
-London Live (London)*

*Broadcasting on Virgin Media.

Still to launch on Virgin Media:
-Spring 2014 - Made in Leeds (Leeds)
-Spring 2014 - Made in Bristol (Bristol)
-2 June 2014 - STV Glasgow (Glasgow)

Still to launch (No news on if channel will be shown on Virgin Media):
-NVTV (Belfast)
-Made in Tyne & Wear (Newcastle)
-Latest TV (Brighton)
-Made in Cardiff (Cardiff)
-Notts TV (Nottingham)
-City TV (Birmingham)
-That’s Solent (Southampton)
-Your TV Manchester (Manchester)
-Your TV Blackpool & Preston (Preston)
-Bay TV (Liverpool)
-Cambridge Presents (Cambridge)
-STV Edinburgh (Edinburgh)
-That’s Oxford (Oxford)
-SLTV/Sheffield Live (Sheffield)
-Yorkshire Coast TV (Scarborough)
-The York Channel (York)
-Made In Teeside (Middlesborough)
-Bay TV Clwyd (Mold)
-Bay TV Swansea
-That’s Basingstoke (Basingstoke)
-That’s Surrey (Guildford)
-Bedfordshire Television (Luton)
-That’s Reading (Reading)
-That’s Salisbury (Salisbury)

clayts 03-04-2014 23:12

Notts TV will go live 27 May 2014, and will be Freeview channel 8 only to start off with - no indications as to availability on VM at this point in time

http://www.nottstv.com/news?id=37

Media Boy UK 07-04-2014 11:18

Update on Notts TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknewark (Post 35686218)
Just received a tweet from Notts Tv, saying they are in final negotiations with Virgin Media to carry New local tv channel.

rhyds 07-04-2014 12:17

I doubt Bay TV Clwyd will be shown as the closest VM gets to there is Ellesmere Port.

steveh 24-04-2014 13:03

London Live is turning out to be a bit of a disaster. The breakfast show is averaging 2,400 viewers, the early evening show 4,000. Many shows are zero rated. This for a channel with a claimed 9 million reach and massive coverage in the Evening Standard.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilmidg...y-of-9million/

OLD BOY 24-04-2014 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35692050)
London Live is turning out to be a bit of a disaster. The breakfast show is averaging 2,400 viewers, the early evening show 4,000. Many shows are zero rated. This for a channel with a claimed 9 million reach and massive coverage in the Evening Standard.

Well the key lies with the quality of the programming. Rubbish programming = rubbish viewing figures.

muppetman11 24-04-2014 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35692050)

As predicted a total waste of money.

toady 24-04-2014 21:43

If London Live can't pull in the viewers with a reach of 9 million, then I can't see the other local TV stations performing any better.

Total waste of money that could have been better spent of BBC programming

andy_m 24-04-2014 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35692084)
As predicted a total waste of money.

I think it's a little early to make that assessment. I know it's a different situation, but critics of Sky Atlantic often point to supposedly poor viewing figures - and in fairness you'd be amongst the first to point out the bigger picture.

The bigger picture with local tv is that there is a genuine desire for local news content on tv which is perhaps currently only served by local radio and print media, despite tv being the biggest household medium, but there is currently little chance of a commercial station being successful enough to last the distance, so now they're being subsidised. I don't think anyone can be surprised if they don't get it immediately right, but so what if the figures aren't great? That's kind of the point.

muppetman11 24-04-2014 23:09

I suppose if on eight occasions, Wake Up London has broadcast for a full hour to no measurable audience then the only way is up.:D

Media Boy UK 25-04-2014 00:46

STV confirmed STV Edinburgh will begin broadcasting in December.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/busine...rvice.24039255

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:42 ----------

Return of the Mack coming to STV Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ayO...ature=youtu.be

Mad Max 25-04-2014 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35692253)

Jesus flipping H......:banghead::nutter:

andy_m 25-04-2014 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35692244)
I suppose if on eight occasions, Wake Up London has broadcast for a full hour to no measurable audience then the only way is up.:D

That's the spirit!

vincerooney 25-04-2014 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by toady (Post 35692220)
If London Live can't pull in the viewers with a reach of 9 million, then I can't see the other local TV stations performing any better.

Total waste of money that could have been better spent of BBC programming

aye yes it could have but the knives are out for the bbc so we'll be left with cheap looking irrelevant local tv...

cj136uk 25-04-2014 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35692253)

with a vast archive Scottish Television has, and they want to show Take the High Road...

notice STV claim "The new stations are predicted to reach around two million people across the central belt of the country." reach does mean viewers. this is the reach of the transmitters, cable and satellite.

Most STV opt=programmes on Channel 3 don't reach these figures, so expect the audience for Glasgow and Edinburgh to be even less the London Live

OLD BOY 25-04-2014 12:38

I'm beginning to think that the smaller local TV stations will be pretty dire. They won't even be able to afford the test card and so they will probably just have some pimply prat reading boring local rubbish about the local ramblers' and WI activities over and over in an even more boring monotone voice....

Enough already, I'm bored just writing about it.

I think I'll stick with the regional news bulletins on the main channels! Clearly the people running these businesses have no idea at all if London Live are anything to go by.

Why could the Government not have made it a condition that the BBC will provide these channels with footage on local stories (they have to produce it anyway for their own shows), and the local channels can infill from there. They could have local personalities pontificating on the local issues of the day, local MPs on issues important to residents, stories on what local councils are doing with coverage (the highlights) of council meetings, with other programmes that all the local channels show filling in the gaps and drawing in the interest to make the channels profitable. It would still be boring, but maybe less mindnumbingly so.

They could have music video shows sponsored by the likes of HMV for example (they are still trading, aren't they?) film reviews/excerpts sponsored by cinemas, and so on. With a bit of imagination and not too much of a financial outlay, I would have thought it would be possible to have these TV stations attracting an audience.

But then again, maybe not :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

toady 25-04-2014 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35692334)

They could have music video shows sponsored by the likes of HMV for example (they are still trading, aren't they?) film reviews/excerpts sponsored by cinemas, and so on. With a bit of imagination and not too much of a financial outlay, I would have thought it would be possible to have these TV stations attracting an audience.

But then again, maybe not :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

With viewing figures so low no advertiser would waste their money, they would get a better return fly posting

andy_m 25-04-2014 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35692334)
I think I'll stick with the regional news bulletins on the main channels! Clearly the people running these businesses have no idea at all if London Live are anything to go by.

There is an argument that the way in which national tv is split regionally means that very often the local bulletins are irrelevant to a lot of the area in which they are broadcast. Local TV is supposed to go some way to addressing that. Your point about businesses is interesting, because the whole point of Local TV is that it is accepted that there isn't really any profitable way to provide these services, but there is evidence that they are required. More to the point, TV, the most widely used media medium(!), lags behind older technology in radio and print as far as provision of local output is concerned. That is a bit silly when you think about it.

muppetman11 25-04-2014 17:42

Couldn't they have tested the water online first ?

andy_m 25-04-2014 20:08

I'm not sure how that works. If the problem identified is that the biggest and most widely used medium in most people's homes doesn't cater for a specific need, how could you road test a solution anywhere else than said medium?

cj136uk 25-04-2014 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35692403)
Couldn't they have tested the water online first ?

No! Blame the govt pushing ahead

muppetman11 25-04-2014 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35692440)
I'm not sure how that works. If the problem identified is that the biggest and most widely used medium in most people's homes doesn't cater for a specific need, how could you road test a solution anywhere else than said medium?

Aye true clearly it'll never work.:D

alwaysabear 25-04-2014 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35692461)
Aye true clearly it'll never work.:D

I have to agree seems a waste of money to me.:(

andy_m 26-04-2014 19:02

I'm not convinced it's necessarily been the best start, but actually some of the programming on London Live is quite innovative and, above all, relevant. Of course, depending on your location, I guess ymmv, but I'm not entirely sure I understand the opposition?

OLD BOY 26-04-2014 19:37

Well, given that London is where the House of Commons is, I would have thought that the politicians would be lining up to discuss their pet subjects on such a channel. I can see how this could be successful, but I'm not sure the right people are putting enough energy into making the schedules interesting.

spiderplant 26-04-2014 20:04

Estuary TV seems to do fine with a much smaller potential audience. Maybe London is too large and diverse to get that local feel? Or maybe there is enough London-specific media already?

Media Boy UK 19-06-2014 20:01

MB Blog: Three more local TV Channels confirmed.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...-local-tv.html

Doug P 24-06-2014 13:01

I used to really like local tv... Thames LWT Anglia ATV/Central Granada TSW HTV Southern TVS Meridian.... :-)

cj136uk 24-06-2014 13:38

None of those TV companies exist anymore.
They were also regional, not local

OLD BOY 24-06-2014 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35709406)

He was joking, CJ.

cj136uk 24-06-2014 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35709413)
He was joking, CJ.

I know! I'm being sarcastic back

Doug P 24-06-2014 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35709406)

Hence my using the word "used" :p:

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj136uk (Post 35709416)
I know! I'm being sarcastic back

I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35709413)
He was joking, CJ.

:-)

cj136uk 24-06-2014 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35709458)
Hence my using the word "used" :p:

Regional news was more accurate and more "local" than these new so called local companies anyway....

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I wasn't being sarcastic. They were decent firms who made good honest shows and ITV is a sad shell for not having them anymore imo

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------
not being sarcastic now. ITV was never local tv, it was REGIONAL television based on areas of many towns and cities.

:-)

steveh 25-07-2014 15:18

So London Live is predictably trying to get out of its local commitments:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...ocal-tv-london

It's not London and it's not Live...

andy_m 25-07-2014 17:18

I have to say I think it's a shame, and I agree with the article - they've certainly tried to make it work. It's actually not a bad channel, certainly compared to some of those with national licences, and I'm not convinced by the public apathy argument. What I would say is that, for a multitude of reasons, London does not, to me, have the community feel that other parts of the country appear to enjoy. Rather, it is a mix of communities living side by side, and that mix is deepening. I'm not sure how you cater for that.

I have a feeling that the experiment will be more successful elsewhere, but it also feels like something that probably came 20 or 30 years too late. Competing with multi-channel tv packages and an increasing shift towards time-shift viewing and streaming services was always going to be difficult.

Media Boy UK 25-08-2014 12:14

Belfast Local TV Channel NvTV has confirmed that they will relaunch on Freeview on September 29th.

Also viewers in Brighton & Hove can now turn into tests for Latest TV (Launching on Thursday). Latest TV will also launch on Virgin Channel 159 in the Brighton & Hove area.

vincerooney 25-08-2014 15:30

local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.

spankysmagicpian 25-08-2014 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35724083)
local tv has massively nose dived. i wonder how america can succeed so well and the uk fails? population is the only reason? doesnt america have like 100 different versions of channels?

i remember being hungover once watching fox 59 a local news channel based in the deep south...i watched it for 3 hours in bed having no idea what was going on but it seemed a big professional channel.

Because, as it's been probably been mentioned, the US local TV are affiliated to the big networks like your example Fox 59. They are basically the same as the old ITV regions (but smaller) showing the popular programmes in peak time but having opt outs for local programming such as news.

Actually - it would be more akin to say in Liverpool having 5 stations called LBBC (local TV showing BBC shows) LITV (local TV showing ITV shows) etc etc

Tricky Trevor 29-08-2014 05:20

Notts TV are doing very well

http://www.nottstv.com/news?id=54

Media Boy UK 29-08-2014 10:13

Seven Local TV Channels test starts.

Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can now view test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Cardiff, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent.

Q: WHERE DO I FIND MY LOCAL TV TESTS?
A) Freeview viewers in Belfast, Bristol, Leeds, Tyne & Wear, Liverpool and Southampton areas can find test cards for NvTv, Made in Bristol, Made in Leeds, Bay TV Liverpool, Made in Tyne and Wear and That's Solent on Freeview Channel 8.

Freeview viewers in Cardiff area can find test cards for Made in Cardiff on Freeview Channel 23.

Media Boy UK 24-10-2014 10:16

STV: STV bids for local TV licences in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

STV today (24th October 2014) confirmed it has submitted applications to Ofcom to deliver local TV in Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

The applications have been submitted in partnership with Robert Gordon University and North East Scotland College in Aberdeen, the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) in Ayr, and Abertay University and Dundee and Angus College in Dundee.

http://www.stvplc.tv/blog/2014/10/st...ayr-and-dundee

Itshim 24-10-2014 16:32

Having tried "Made in Cardiff " I guess it just as well only people in Cardiff see it. To my mind it is rubbish. I was really looking forward to it as well, Hy Ho

braysoj1 24-10-2014 19:38

will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own

Mad Max 24-10-2014 20:18

Can't get my head around this, how much TV do people actually watch? Going by some of the posts in here it must be near 24/7.......:)

spiderplant 24-10-2014 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 35737325)
will i get made in leeds in keighley or is keighley getting it own

As things stand you won't get either. According to this a Keighley channel would be technically possible, but at the moment nobody is planning to run one.

You might be able to get Made In Leeds on Freeview.

Media Boy UK 31-10-2014 13:15

Ofcom reveal new list for local TV.

Ofcom has today reveal the list of local TV Broacasters hoping to run the local TV Channel in the following areas:

Aberdeen: Around Aberdeen (Run by STV)
Ayr: Ayrshire Today (Run by STV)
Carlisle: That’s Carlisle
Dundee: View from the Bridges (Run by STV)
Inverness: ICTV
Stoke on Trent: Bay TV Stoke

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

More info at: http://www.a516digital.com/2014/10/n...v-licence.html

vincerooney 01-11-2014 10:25

"Thats Carlisle" blooming heck they're putting a lot of thought into these names...

Media Boy UK 19-02-2015 14:47

Local TV: New look for local TV in Edinburgh and Glasgow from March 2nd.

STV Glasgow and STV Edinburgh will be on air from the earlier time of 7am from Monday March 2. They will feature hourly week day news bulletins from midday, as well as 30-minute news programmes at 6pm, 8pm and 10pm bringing viewers across central Scotland all the latest updates.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/3109...mission-hours/

Media Boy UK 19-03-2015 12:53

STV Local coming to Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/...gn=scotlocaltv

Taf 14-10-2015 13:19

Quote:

Local TV channel Made in Cardiff has cut the number of original programmes it had planned to broadcast in future.

It was awarded a licence to broadcast based on a commitment to provide 37 hours a week of local programming, increasing to 44 hours in its second year, and 51 hours in year three.

Regulators have approved a request to maintain the current minimum of 37 hours a week in future years.

The channel will celebrate its first year of broadcasting on 15 October.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-34525176

Not as lucrative a deal as they thought I suspect. The local programming I have seen has been beyond dire....

Matth 18-10-2015 23:51

Don't think I've ever looked at my local TV - preferred the BonanzaBonanza when they were testing the freeview mux.

A whole mux for what?
Subsidised committee designed local TV with vanishingly small viewing figures

Mad Max 18-10-2015 23:58

There's more than enough crap on the telly without giving us anymore ffs!

OLD BOY 19-10-2015 14:17

I think local TV could work quite well if it was run by people with a bit of imagination.

The local channel that used to broadcast here about 15 or so years ago was run by amateurs and was excruciatingly boring.

If the new services are like that, they will never make any money. Unless they can get their broadcasts to be as interesting and professional as the BBC and ITV regional programmes, only the few diehards are going to tune in.

muppetman11 19-10-2015 14:31

It's totally pointless and a waste of money end of....

OLD BOY 19-10-2015 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35804049)
It's totally pointless and a waste of money end of....

What I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be.

As things stand, however, you are perfectly correct!

Mad Max 19-10-2015 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35804051)
What I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be.

As things stand, however, you are perfectly correct!

The thing is OB how much TV do people want to watch? You'd need to be glued to your set 24/7 to watch all the stuff that's out there, and it's been said numerous times on here, I think most people would rather have less mind numbing drivel channels, in fact imo just less channels, and more quality than all the rubbish we currently have.

OLD BOY 29-11-2017 19:50

I see that the 'Made in' local TV channels will be filling the substantial gaps in their local output with CBS Reality content, thereby boosting the reach of the channel.

Local TV would get a far bigger audience if it took programming from CBS Action to replace the local content. :D

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/11/m...-with-cbs.html

jj20x 29-11-2017 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35926872)
I see that the 'Made in' local TV channels will be filling the substantial gaps in their local output with CBS Reality content, thereby boosting the reach of the channel.

Local TV would get a far bigger audience if it took programming from CBS Action to replace the local content. :D

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/11/m...-with-cbs.html

They announced this "exciting new content" a while ago, without being specific. Now I can see why they held back the details. :D

OLD BOY 29-12-2017 15:40

I am not optimistic about the future of local channels in this country. I am really surprised at the lack of creativity and imagination that has brought us to this pretty pass.

It is beginning to look as though the only hope we have (for anyone who cares) is that areas will amalgamate in order to create economies of scale. We may even end up with a single channel for England and Wales, according to this article!

What a wasted opportunity.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/12/w...-local-tv.html

Raider999 29-12-2017 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35930309)
I am not optimistic about the future of local channels in this country. I am really surprised at the lack of creativity and imagination that has brought us to this pretty pass.

It is beginning to look as though the only hope we have (for anyone who cares) is that areas will amalgamate in order to create economies of scale. We may even end up with a single channel for England and Wales, according to this article!

What a wasted opportunity.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/12/w...-local-tv.html

We already have local news bulletins on BBC, content isn't great, not sure what else worth watching would be shown on local tv.

OLD BOY 29-12-2017 17:11

An example of a schedule with a considerable amount of local programming could look like this:

6am
Regional magazine programme (updated from previous evening)

7am
Traffic and Travel

7.10am
Coming Up (highlighting programmes coming later today)

7.15am Money talks
Financial and consumer tips and shopping bargains

7.45pm
Local news summary

7.55am
Traffic and Travel

8am
National News from the BBC

8.30am
Keeping fit (sponsored programme)

9am
Top 10 music videos (sponsored programme)

10am Agenda
Politicians debate the national issues of the day (from London Live)

12 noon
Regional magazine programme (yesterdays news and updates)

1pm
TV Heaven (local people talking about last nights telly)

1.30pm
Politics Today
A look at local issues being debated by councils and the House of Commons

2pm
Gadgets and Where To Find Them (repeat of last evenings programme)

3pm
Travel update

3.10pm
Life and Surviving (health, lifestyle and local NHS services)

4pm
Afternoon debate
Featuring questions and answers on national and local issues

5pm
Regional magazine programme (content provided by the BBC and local channel resources)

6pm
Viewpoint (prominent local campaigners and politicians are interviewed for their views on local issues)

6.30pm
Local consultations (a briefing on a selected consultation being carried out by local councils, with residents giving their views).

7pm
Out and About (visits to local towns, villages and attractions and talking to residents, business owners, etc)

7.30pm
Sodbury Borough Council Meeting (live coverage)

9.30pm
Regional news magazine (updated from 5pm)

10.30pm

11pm
Book of the day (sponsored programme)

11.30pm
Regional news magazine (as 9.30pm)

That's just off the top of my head, and local channels could use a lot of retired people to lend their expertise for nominal fees. As for content, part of the licence fee is supposed to fund that, and this arrangement needs to be extended. The remaining funding would come from sponsorshipped programming and advertisements.

There are also plenty of people in my neck of the woods who wouldn't mind sounding off on local TV!

Mad Max 29-12-2017 17:32

OB, are you bored mate?

Raider999 29-12-2017 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35930317)
An example of a schedule with a considerable amount of local programming could look like this:

6am
Regional magazine programme (updated from previous evening)

7am
Traffic and Travel

7.10am
Coming Up (highlighting programmes coming later today)

7.15am Money talks
Financial and consumer tips and shopping bargains

7.45pm
Local news summary

7.55am
Traffic and Travel

8am
National News from the BBC

8.30am
Keeping fit (sponsored programme)

9am

10am Agenda
Politicians debate the national issues of the day (from London Live)

12 noon
Regional magazine programme (yesterdays news and updates)

1pm
TV Heaven (local people talking about last nights telly)

1.30pm
Politics Today
A look at local issues being debated by councils and the House of Commons

2pm
Gadgets and Where To Find Them (repeat of last evenings programme)

3pm
Travel update

3.10pm
Life and Surviving (health, lifestyle and local NHS services)

4pm
Afternoon debate
Featuring questions and answers on national and local issues

5pm
Regional magazine programme (content provided by the BBC and local channel resources)

6pm
Viewpoint (prominent local campaigners and politicians are interviewed for their views on local issues)

6.30pm
Local consultations (a briefing on a selected consultation being carried out by local councils, with residents giving their views).

7pm
Out and About (visits to local towns, villages and attractions and talking to residents, business owners, etc)

7.30pm
Sodbury Borough Council Meeting (live coverage)

9.30pm
Regional news magazine (updated from 5pm)

10.30pm

11pm
Book of the day (sponsored programme)

11.30pm
Regional news magazine (as 9.30pm)

That's just off the top of my head, and local channels could use a lot of retired people to lend their expertise for nominal fees. As for content, part of the licence fee is supposed to fund that, and this arrangement needs to be extended. The remaining funding would come from sponsorshipped programming and advertisements.

There are also plenty of people in my neck of the woods who wouldn't mind sounding off on local TV!

Your example schedule just about sums up why people are not watching local to channels

Highlight of the day - 2 hours coverage of a borough council meeting (at peak viewing hours) - I would rather stick pins in my eyes! Muses the be riveting viewing.

Your last comment rings true, always people willing to spund off just to be on tv even if only a few hundred people will watch it.

OLD BOY 29-12-2017 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35930318)
OB, are you bored mate?

I thought the forums were a bit quiet today! :D

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35930319)
Your example schedule just about sums up why people are not watching local to channels

Highlight of the day - 2 hours coverage of a borough council meeting (at peak viewing hours) - I would rather stick pins in my eyes! Muses the be riveting viewing.

Your last comment rings true, always people willing to spund off just to be on tv even if only a few hundred people will watch it.

I do know where you are coming from, but some of these meetings are of huge interest to people. Just try telling residents that a local school is going to close or a bus service withdrawn. People do feel very strongly about these things.

Many people have never been to a council meeting or are even aware of the subjects discussed. When it appears in the local paper, though, the rants start!

Raider999 29-12-2017 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35930321)
I thought the forums were a bit quiet today! :D

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

I do know where you are coming from, but some of these meetings are of huge interest to people. Just try telling residents that a local school is going to close or a bus service withdrawn. People do feel very strongly about these things.

Many people have never been to a council meeting or are even aware of the subjects discussed. When it appears in the local paper, though, the rants start!

The few that are interested could go to the meeting - don't need it on tv!

Also what is the difference between local fitness and something off one of the myriads of cr*p channels that are already broadcast.:confused:

Sorry, you will never sell me on the need for local tv:td::td::td:

OLD BOY 30-12-2017 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35930335)
The few that are interested could go to the meeting - don't need it on tv!

Also what is the difference between local fitness and something off one of the myriads of cr*p channels that are already broadcast.:confused:

Sorry, you will never sell me on the need for local tv:td::td::td:

It will certainly only grab a minority audience, I reckon.

I suppose the alternative is to have common entertainment programmes networked over all the local channels, with slots for local news and magazine programmes. However, this is not what the Government envisaged!

Raider999 30-12-2017 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35930358)
It will certainly only grab a minority audience, I reckon.

I suppose the alternative is to have common entertainment programmes networked over all the local channels, with slots for local news and magazine programmes. However, this is not what the Government envisaged!

Very much a minority I would have thought.

No, the alternative is For the BBC to stop wasting money on utter crap, after all it is always bleating that it hasn't enough money.

Maggy 30-12-2017 10:50

I did miss the local TV news programmes over the last 10 days. We were reduced to 10 minutes in the evening on ITV and BBC everyday..

Raider999 30-12-2017 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35930375)
I did miss the local TV news programmes over the last 10 days. We were reduced to 10 minutes in the evening on ITV and BBC everyday..

More than adequate I would have thought

Ken W 30-12-2017 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35930375)

I enjoy the local TV news.

Rillington 13-09-2021 18:33

I know I'm reviving an old topic but given that locality is very much part of cable television, it surprises me that the local channels are generally not available on Virgin Media. Manchester now has two local services - That's TV and also a second local channel called Manchester TV. Surely the local channels should be available on Virgin Media?