Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709704)

perky890@gmail.c 17-01-2021 19:32

Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

Hi guys.

Stumbled upon this forum via google and thought it would be a great place to ask a couple of questions regarding upgrading my router.

My ISP is virgin media and im running the Hub 3.0 on a 200mbs connection.

I have the following wifi devices on my network: my phone, partners phone, house alarm, x2 TVs, x3 amazon echos, x2 fire sticks, x2 laptops and the central heating.

I have noticed a greater average wifi speed since upgrading to 200mbs from 100mbs (assuming its because there is greater bandwidth to share amongst everything connected to the network) however its not as fast as i was hoping.

When connected to the router via ethernet i do get 200mbs however via wifi ive measured 90mbs max with an average of around 60mbs.
In the room the furthest from the router (circa 10m line of sight through a floor and 2 brick walls) it is only around 20mbs on a good day. All on 2.4ghz.

Im looking for better wifi speeds if possible all around the house without moving the router. I do have a TP link poweline range extender on the landing however i only get around 40mbs from that.

Im considering putting my hub in modem mode and getting an Asus RT-AC86U router.

If i do this is it realistic to expect faster wifi speeds all around and a better range thus giving me faster speeds in the room furthest away?

Many thanks.

alanbjames 18-01-2021 22:16

Re: Asus RT-AC86U vs VM Hub 3.0 worth it?

U will definitely get better range and i would also say faster speeds.

I had that router and was using it for 2 years until it packed in on me and it was brilliant.

The router i can definitely recommend.

Chris 18-01-2021 22:21

Except that it’s liable to pack up after 2 years? :erm: I’d hope for considerably more life than 2 years from any piece of electronics.

Corey N Georgie 19-01-2021 19:14

Maybe mine was a one off? Asus wouldn't have such a good name if everyone had this issue.

Jaymoss 20-01-2021 15:46

For the cost you can afford a Mesh system which imo is a far better option

weesteev 26-01-2021 10:33

Hi Perky

The Asus AC86U is a better WiFi router than the Hub 3 but its likely you will still see issues over range. The router may perform better at closer range with a better throughput but i wouldn't be surprised to see only marginal differences between the 2 devices. It will definitely be better than a range extender (they cause more problems than they solve!) but don't expect your world to change by adding a better router.

I have a Nighthawk AX12 (WiFi 6) and the throughput is only slightly better with similar range to a Hub3 (although it has WiFi 6 which is a bonus).

SnoopZ 26-01-2021 12:21

OP

You may want to change your username so it's not your email!

mrmistoffelees 26-01-2021 18:23

First of all, I’d be ruling if there’s any other networks on the 2.4Ghz band (neighbours etc) n conflicting channels, if there is then change the channel