Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Would you go and live on the moon? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711034)

Halcyon 13-05-2022 15:10

Would you go and live on the moon?

If you were given the opportunity to become a test group of people to start living life on the moon, would you go ahead and board the rocket?

I have always wondered why they havent built a massive glass tank and then started taking plants up there and creating a new eco system.

So, would you be willing to go?

Can you see yourself living on another planet some day?

joglynne 13-05-2022 15:31

Re: Would you go and live on the moon?

I would go, though It would probably just be my ashes at this stage. At least I could feel that I had been useful even if it was only to bulk up the growing medium that would be needed to a grow something useful. :)

Chris 13-05-2022 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36122257)
If you were given the opportunity to become a test group of people to start living life on the moon, would you go ahead and board the rocket?

As a young, fit and single man, I would have gone in a flash. These days I have responsibilities. I’d go as a tourist, once it’s reasonably safe, but my pioneering days are long past!

Quote:

I have always wondered why they havent built a massive glass tank and then started taking plants up there and creating a new eco system.
Because it’s very expensive and also difficult, as this recent experiment shows:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61434295

Quote:

Can you see yourself living on another planet some day?
No, because we won’t be living on other planets in my lifetime. That’s not to say there won’t be outposts on the moon and Mars within the next 20 years; I think there will be. But they will be living there only in the same sense anyone lives in Antarctica. Strictly for research and by appointment only. Properly living on other planets entails people being free to emigrate and set up a home and a livelihood there. Once pioneer emigration is the decision of private citizens rather than at the invitation of governments or mega-corporations, then people will begin to really ‘live’ on Mars. I think we’re many decades away from that.

Jaymoss 13-05-2022 17:31

It was all meant to happen by 1999

ianch99 13-05-2022 17:32

That's a long commute :)

OLD BOY 13-05-2022 17:55

My answer is a definite no. I might be prepared to visit (I definitely would have when younger) but to live? No, I'd be bored stiff after a few days.

Did you know they don't even have broadband up there? :D

We need to find a habitable planet to live on, but as time goes on, this appears to be less, rather than more likely. We haven't even found one yet and when we do, it'll probably take multiple lifetimes to get there.

Taf 13-05-2022 18:31

I was put off when they said it lacked atmosphere.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36122257)

I would love to go on and live on the moon. If you would like a flavour of what it is like then you should watch For All Mankind.

Mr K 13-05-2022 22:09

No, my allotment wouldn't work out very well on the Moon and Sainsburys don't deliver.

Benti 21-05-2022 11:45

No. Why dream about sth that is not comfortable for you if you have such amazing nature here?

OLD BOY 21-05-2022 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36122292)
I would love to go on and live on the moon. If you would like a flavour of what it is like then you should watch For All Mankind.

I think you would find the reality rather different! After about three days, I think you would be utterly bored.

jfman 21-05-2022 15:45

If you want to live in a barren wasteland just hang around the UK after another 50 years of trickle up economics has siphoned off our national assets into tax havens. It'll be like the moon but with rain and gravity.

ianch99 21-05-2022 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36123069)
If you want to live in a barren wasteland just hang around the UK after another 50 years of trickle up economics has siphoned off our national assets into tax havens. It'll be like the moon but with rain and gravity.

and flags .. and carriages running around with just a hat in it :)

Paul 21-05-2022 21:01

Live ? No.

Visit or Holiday ? Yes.

Hom3r 21-05-2022 21:02

I would like to open a pub on there, But, I don't think the atmosphere would be great. :D