Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709861)

OLD BOY 01-01-2022 20:29

Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36107698)
As you said you do not watch sport

You’ve hit the nail on the head, Raider. It is the sports viewer who has been adversely affected by the move to streaming. There’s a lot more yet to be done to make this the feasible alternative that they want it to be.

Legendkiller2k 01-01-2022 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36107705)
You’ve hit the nail on the head, Raider. It is the sports viewer who has been adversely affected by the move to streaming. There’s a lot more yet to be done to make this the feasible alternative that they want it to be.

Hmm well last night iplayer was over a minute behind terrestial on the New years fireworks, i tested by watching it on both.
Streaming will get there in time but atm it isn't there.

Paul 01-01-2022 22:28

BBC One itself (on my Sky Box) was a good 4 or 5 seconds slow.

Chris 01-01-2022 23:20

The digital delay on my Freesat box was 7 seconds last night (measured against my iPad at the stroke of midnight). Still considerably better than the 90 seconds or thereabouts that we were experiencing on the iPlayer earlier in the evening. Actually although we started watching BBC1 on the iPlayer because the STB was powered down, we switched over precisely because I knew that the BBC’s countdown to the bells would be pointless if viewed via streaming.

jfman 01-01-2022 23:34

Quote:

The streamer I assume, and not the end user?

cheekyangus 01-01-2022 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36107711)
Hmm well last night iplayer was over a minute behind terrestial on the New years fireworks, i tested by watching it on both.
Streaming will get there in time but atm it isn't there.

Digital Terrestrial Standard Definition is often behind VM HD here. Whatever is is being done to encode/decode to provide VM is very fast these days. It used to be that VM HD was significantly behind DTT SD here.

Legendkiller2k 02-01-2022 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36107720)
Digital Terrestrial Standard Definition is often behind VM HD here. Whatever is is being done to encode/decode to provide VM is very fast these days. It used to be that VM HD was significantly behind DTT SD here.

VM are strange here they're in the houses either side of this block of flats but not in the block lol, they got permission and everything too but for some reason decided not to bother.
The block itself is low rise too with just 5 flats in.

Raider999 02-01-2022 14:22

Quote:

OB - do I sense a shift on the end date for linear TV:)

1andrew1 02-01-2022 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36107754)

Still on target for 2045. :D

OLD BOY 02-01-2022 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36107754)

No, I’ve been clear throughout that I am talking about the future, not the present. I have no reason to doubt that latency issues will be resolved, but there’s plenty of water to flow under the bridge first.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36107760)
Still on target for 2045. :D

:nono:

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36107718)
The streamer I assume, and not the end user?

Correct.

jfman 03-01-2022 13:41

The UK has hit peak Netflix.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...scriber-growth

Quote:

In Netflix’s earlier years, when new subscribers came with little effort, a single subscriber cost about $40 to $50 in the US and probably a little lower in the UK. It is estimated to have now potentially tripled in mature markets reaching saturation.

OLD BOY 03-01-2022 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36107866)

Well, it was always going to happen, there are only so many households to be accessed.

Netflix is a real success story and it seems to have captured the imagination of the British people.

There are, of course, still those who refuse to pay for their TV, as well as those who do not have broadband and those who think it is just to difficult to go about it. Progression into these homes is bound to go much more slowly.

As far as the older age groups are concerned, those who were in their 50s in 2010 are now in their 60s. Soon, even the elderly will be confident enough to use Netflix.

Carth 03-01-2022 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36107878)
Soon, even the elderly will be confident enough to use Netflix.

Online Bingo is booming mate, why would they bother with TV? :D

Itshim 03-01-2022 17:30

Quote:

Well, it was always going to happen, there are only so many households to be accessed.

Netflix is a real success story and it seems to have captured the imagination of the British people.

There are, of course, still those who refuse to pay for their TV, as well as those who do not have broadband and those who think it is just to difficult to go about it. Progression into these homes is bound to go much more slowly.

As far as the older age groups are concerned, those who were in their 50s in 2010 are now in their 60s. Soon, even the elderly will be confident enough to use Netflix.

Thanks for that , love Netflix and in my 70's but what you say is true the one supplier l am confident with:D

jfman 03-01-2022 18:27

Quote:

Interesting choice of language OB.

As you well know, not purchasing a product or service is a legitimate consumer choice. I’ve been telling you for some years OB that these streaming services have an upper limit of subscribers - the idea that somehow the gap is simply the elderly have a confidence issue is laughable.

Captured the imagination of the British people :D. It’s only television, OB.