Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709861)

RichardCoulter 16-06-2021 04:19

Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

BT are offering Now TV Entertainment for £5 a month for two years (they call it the Essential pack).

https://www.bt.com/packages/essentia...FUMfBgAd1AcE1Q

When I enquired about taking BT TV the other month they offered to buy me out of my Virgin Media contract & install a phone line for free! Not sure if this was just for me, but I doubt it, which might be useful for anyone that's interested but tied to a VM contract.

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

For those who like to have material served up to them, Netflix have just implemented a 'Play me something' button that you can select and it will play you various programmes to replicate the traditional linear channel experience:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083387)
BT are offering Now TV Entertainment for £5 a month for two years (they call it the Essential pack).

https://www.bt.com/packages/essentia...FUMfBgAd1AcE1Q

When I enquired about taking BT TV the other month they offered to buy me out of my Virgin Media contract & install a phone line for free! Not sure if this was just for me, but I doubt it, which might be useful for anyone that's interested but tied to a VM contract.

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

For those who like to have material served up to them, Netflix have just implemented a 'Play me something' button that you can select and it will play you various programmes to replicate the traditional linear channel experience:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you

Yes, I think this addresses the point that some people just want to turn on their TVs and don’t have the energy or desire to find out what’s on, being content to gawp at anything that lands on the screen.

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36083352)
But why would you have pay TV if in your opinion there is no pay channels worth paying for this is what really stumps me.

Get a streaming box to access all your apps and a Freeview/Freesat recorder and your sorted plus paying less.

There are still some programmes that cannot be accessed via streamers.

Yes, pay-tv channels are poor value for money. But they still have one or two programmes that are worth seeing.

To be honest, we are near the tipping point now in this house.

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36083382)
I've been getting that impression from content headlines I've seen.

I was really meaning I don't think VM would have it high on their list of priorities, they wouldn't go out if their way, though they'd probably add it if Acorn was up for a easy/straightforward deal.

I'd heard positive things about Shudder, though it's not really my genre.

I think that depends on their commitment to be a super-aggregator of content. It’s a bit of a half-hearted attempt at the moment!

All TV should be on there. It’s annoying to have to see this content through different sources.

Hugh 16-06-2021 08:58

It’s annoying when the people who actually spend tens of millions a year on Market Research views don’t along with yours…:D

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36083402)
It’s annoying when the people who actually spend tens of millions a year on Market Research views don’t along with yours…:D

My greatest detractors rubbish some of the links I post on the basis that they come from market researchers.

cheekyangus 16-06-2021 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36083402)

Though it always feels (certainly to me) like a significant proportion of Market Research for any sector is exaggeration to justify their existence.

And also the opposite end, them sugarcoating things they find out so not to offend their clients, meaning what they find is diluted.

I'm fairly sure many of had something they were fond of change for no obvious reason. Sometimes this is due to us having an inaccurate understanding of the general opinion or world situation, other times it can be the Market Research team misrepresenting or misunderstanding the results of their investigation.

My point, that Market Research is a good and bad thing.

muppetman11 16-06-2021 14:42

OB you've been saying your at tipping point for literally years , so you can't get a few shows so what there are only so many hours in the day to watch TV.

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36083459)
OB you've been saying your at tipping point for literally years , so you can't get a few shows so what there are only so many hours in the day to watch TV.

I don’t watch that much, actually, but I am choosy about what I watch.

Yes, I have been saying that, but Virgin is so far behind. Sky is better in terms of the streamers, but I don’t like the way their on demand service works.

I’m not jumping until conditions are right for me.

muppetman11 16-06-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083482)

Yes, I have been saying that, but Virgin is so far behind. Sky is better in terms of the streamers, but I don’t like the way their on demand service works.

You don't need Virgin or Sky to access the streamers your literally paying for a few shows in your case with Virgin and Sky.

Legendkiller2k 16-06-2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083482)

Regarding your post "wife doesn't like the cables" easy solution to that mini pc only need one hdmi cable and you will get all the online stuff you sub to on it, you can pick one up for around £150 nowadays.

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36083504)
Regarding your post "wife doesn't like the cables" easy solution to that mini pc only need one hdmi cable and you will get all the online stuff you sub to on it, you can pick one up for around £150 nowadays.

I had never considered a mini-pc for my TV! Thanks, I will look into that.

Legendkiller2k 16-06-2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083507)
I had never considered a mini-pc for my TV! Thanks, I will look into that.

A few use them at work there are sticks too for around £100.

buckeye 18-06-2021 18:37

Now are changing their streaming limit for non Boost customers, basically you will only be able to use one device at a time!
I don't know how long this change has been known about but I just logged into my account and received this message:-
"Our streaming limit is changing
As a member with Boost, you’re not affected by this change, but we just wanted to let you know that from 15 July members without Boost can only stream on one device at a time. With Boost, you can continue to stream on 3 devices."

This seems to be making Boost a mandatory extra, although it will pretty much destroy account sharing without Boost.

cheekyangus 18-06-2021 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36083824)
Now are changing their streaming limit for non Boost customers, basically you will only be able to use one device at a time!
I don't know how long this change has been known about but I just logged into my account and received this message:-
"Our streaming limit is changing
As a member with Boost, you’re not affected by this change, but we just wanted to let you know that from 15 July members without Boost can only stream on one device at a time. With Boost, you can continue to stream on 3 devices."

This seems to be making Boost a mandatory extra, although it will pretty much destroy account sharing without Boost.

That change just came in.

Several of the streamers have made changes recently to discourage account sharing.

Raider999 18-06-2021 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36083840)
That change just came in.

Several of the streamers have made changes recently to discourage account sharing.

Perfectly understandable - must be losing a lot of money with password sharing.

Possibly allowed it until now to suck people in who may now subscribe to retain the facility?

RichardCoulter 19-06-2021 19:13

Britbox:

First 30 days free, then 50% off the next three months with code SUMMER2021