Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

Chris 03-03-2021 10:03

The future of television

Right, enough. Thanks to the BBC3 announcement we now have 3 different threads all discussing the same issue. I have closed all of them.

*All* pointless arguments about whether the future of TV is in linear broadcasting, video on-demand, a mixture of both, or something as-yet uninvented, should now take place here.

The Today programme covered this this morning, from 8.20am if anyone fancies going on BBC Sounds (that’s about 2h 20m in). The essential point is that the EPG and the broadcast schedule work as a focal point, even amongst older teens and young adults for whom linear tv is supposedly of less interest. BBC Three suffered an 80% loss of engagement by going on-demand only. The broadcast schedule simply works better at reaching the target audience. That’s why they’re bringing it back.

johnasimmons 03-03-2021 10:52

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072805)
Right, enough. Thanks to the BBC3 announcement we now have 3 different threads all discussing the same issue. I have closed all of them.

*All* pointless arguments about whether the future of TV is in linear broadcasting, video on-demand, a mixture of both, or something as-yet uninvented, should now take place here.

The Today programme covered this this morning, from 8.20am if anyone fancies going on BBC Sounds (that’s about 2h 20m in). The essential point is that the EPG and the broadcast schedule work as a focal point, even amongst older teens and young adults for whom linear tv is supposedly of less interest. BBC Three suffered an 80% loss of engagement by going on-demand only. The broadcast schedule simply works better at reaching the target audience. That’s why they’re bringing it back.

Well done Chris - this argument has just became personal attacks by two or three individuals on each other here :clap:

Hugh 03-03-2021 11:11

There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072672)
No it's your interpretation of what you think the Government will do in six years time. There's no manifesto commitment, no proposed legislation. Nothing but your hopes and dreams.

The 2025 broadband commitment is getting watered down so much the networks, particularly in rural areas, will not be up to it.

Then you're goosed until 2037. Better get shifting those goalposts again OB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072674)
No, 2027 is what he said. The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.

As you always express a contrary view, I guess I must be on the right lines. You have nothing to back up your view, as usual.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

You need to read the article. He’s been mooting at doing this for sometime! It is only the broadband rollout that seems to be holding him back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072795)
I see no contradiction, jfman. The BBC document I was referring to talked about the BBC planning for internet only broadcasting by the mid-2030s. Hugh’s post seems to confirm that position.

Unless the government changes it’s position on this, I fully expect the 2027 review of the licence fee to require a move to a subscription model within the ensuing period.

Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?

jfman 03-03-2021 11:22

Be easier to nail down jelly I suspect, but certainly a good move by the mods to keep what is fundamentally the same discussion to a single thread.

Raider999 03-03-2021 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072820)
Be easier to nail down jelly I suspect, but certainly a good move by the mods to keep what is fundamentally the same discussion to a single thread.

Might be better still if the mods closed down any thread where these type of arguments occur as soon as they appear.

Or more radically suspend the accounts of 1 or 2 posters?

jfman 03-03-2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072825)
Might be better still if the mods closed down any thread where these type of arguments occur as soon as they appear.

Or more radically suspend the accounts of 1 or 2 posters?

I think it would be a shame if it were to come to that. The pay-TV market has never had such a rich and diverse range of options for consumers across all broadcast platforms and a range of devices.

I have no strong feelings in favour (or against) any techbological method of delivery or any company in the marketplace. As I frequently point out I have Virgin and three different streaming services.

Some however seem to take their personal preferences in absolute terms, and push that to portray others as outdated.

Hugh 03-03-2021 12:46

OK, let's start off as we mean to go on.

Can we keep the discussions on the arguments/positions put forward, and not on the people posting them. If there is a discrepancy/inaccuracy in the positions, feel free to point it out, but don't let frustrations/emotion make the postings personal attacks or derogatory.

OLD BOY 03-03-2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072818)
There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?

Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.

Chris 03-03-2021 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072850)
3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.

As previously requested: Link, or it didn't happen.

Hugh 03-03-2021 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072850)
Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

You posted
Quote:

The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review.
The next licence review is in 2027 - does it not logically follow that you’re stating that the BBC is planning not to use the existing transmitter system after 2027?

Can you provide a link to where the BBC stated they will not be utilising the existing transmitter network after the next licence review in 2027, please?

In fact, you stated on 04/08/2019 09:45

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=995

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36004881)
[/B]

I agree that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is inadequate but I don't see that as supporting your argument. The whole country should have fast broadband speeds in a few years. As I've said previously, the BBC is planning for a non-linear scheduled TV environment after the next licence fee review.

But I expect you know better than them. They really should have consulted you in the first place. :rolleyes:

The next licence review is in 2027.

OLD BOY 03-03-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072871)
You posted The next licence review is in 2027 - does it not logically follow that you’re stating that the BBC is planning not to use the existing transmitter system after 2027?

Can you provide a link to where the BBC stated they will not be utilising the existing transmitter network after the next licence review in 2027, please?

In fact, you stated on 04/08/2019 09:45

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=995

The next licence review is in 2027.

Hugh, according to my calendar, 2035 falls after 2027.

Hugh 03-03-2021 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072881)
Hugh, according to my calendar, 2035 falls after 2027.

Not sure of your point?

You stated
Quote:

The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review.
If someone intends not to use something after a date (2027), surely that precludes using it from 2027 until 2035?

Dude111 03-03-2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris

Sadly Chris I think the future of TV is very bleak!!!

Not much worth watching anymore.......... Sad really mate......

bbxxl 03-03-2021 20:34

I think they should put programs on one after another and reduce it to, say, three channels.

They could have advertising on one of them, but no one would watch it, which would leave two for the rest of us.

Chris 03-03-2021 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36072892)
I think they should put programs on one after another and reduce it to, say, three channels.

They could have advertising on one of them, but no one would watch it, which would leave two for the rest of us.

So ... everyone back to 1981 then? :D

General Maximus 03-03-2021 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36072886)
Sadly Chris I think the future of TV is very bleak!!!

It is not all down hill but I agree that it is not what it once was. With all the streaming services out there now there is too much emphasis on quantity over quality and banging out as many new series and movies as possible. I have said it many a time before, I have got enough tv series to keep me going for a few decades without having anything new to watch. Since xmas I have rewatched Lost, ST Enterprise and I am currently on the second season of SG Universe. When I have finished it Jeremiah is next on my list. People always criticise repeats and want something new to watch but I would rather have one superb series like The Expanse than 20 mediocre ones which either get cancelled or you half watch while you are playing on your phone. TV is meant to be something you enjoy and not just something to pass the time.

Dude111 04-03-2021 05:32

Yea I hear ya General!!

bbxxl 04-03-2021 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072908)

Channel 4 was the start of the decline...

Carth 04-03-2021 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072908)

Yes please :tu:

My thumb has blisters from endlessly clicking through about 100 channels in search of something remotely interesting . . and if I do find something the adverts appear 20 seconds later :mad:

If we stopped making 90 channels of dross, the money saved could be used to produce better quality programs on what's left.

Another huge advantage would be the amount of no-name 'celebrities' who would suddenly find they have to get a bloody job instead of being paid to be on TV shows that are simply a filler between adverts.

*first post since returning from a self imposed exile for a month or so

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072883)
Not sure of your point?

You stated

If someone intends not to use something after a date (2027), surely that precludes using it from 2027 until 2035?

I did not say 'immediately afterwards', Hugh. The article I was referring to said the Beeb was planning to do this in the 2030s, after the next licence fee review.

Chris 04-03-2021 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072955)
I did not say 'immediately afterwards', Hugh. The article I was referring to said the Beeb was planning to do this in the 2030s, after the next licence fee review.

And yet still no link ...

RichardCoulter 04-03-2021 12:14

I think I know where the 2035 date has come from; i've been told that this is when the contract for Arqiva to supply transmission facilities for the BBC expires. I've read an article by the BBC that says that the BBC intend to move over to internet delivery long term. I'll see if I can find it, if not i'll ask a contact who will know. There are now more people with some sort of internet access capable of streaming live TV available to them than there is Freeview coverage. I doubt it's a coincidence either that the two largest ISP's (Sky & BT) are also broadcasters.

In practice, I think that one PSB DTT mux will remain for some time after the rest of the frequencies have been sold off to the mobile phone companies. I imagine that people who complain about this will be told that they still have more channels than the analogue system that DTT replaced at DSO.

The internet isn't perfect and they will need to be able to get messages out to the public in an emergency, don't know if this is still the case, but there was a provision in the law that allows the Government to make the BBC the mouthpiece of the Government in such an emergency.

I think that, long term, this will apply to satellite delivery too. Sky have just signed a new contract with SES for their satellite capacity for another five years. This is much shorter than their previous agreements.

Hugh 04-03-2021 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072955)

You are indulging in casuistry....

Someone states today "I won’t drink any alcohol after today".

Next day, someone spots them having a beer, and they say "I didn’t mean immediately after yesterday!".

Sure, Jan...

pip08456 04-03-2021 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072957)

There's this one.;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2014-0...r-the-internet

Chris 04-03-2021 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36072981)

A very interesting technical document, but with no proposed 'switch off' date for Freeview - whether 2027, 2035, or any other date Old Boy may or may not have floated at some point in this long and meandering discussion. ;)

As there is an ambition to eventually get high-speed data connections into every British home, IP delivery makes sense in the long run. There are various logistical challenges to overcome though, not least of which is ensuring the national grid has enough juice to power data networks that would be working exponentially harder than they do today.

And, lest we forget, if BBC One transmits its schedule over IP, with the News at 6, something with Nick Knowles at 8, drama at 9 and the news again at 10 ... that is still linear TV, regardless of what they're using to get the programme from their studio to your home.

Hugh 04-03-2021 15:26

Something from another thread last year, but relevant to this.

The future of DTT from The House of Lords Select Committee on Communications and Digital - 1st Report of Session 2019 - published 5th November 2019.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...muni/16/16.pdf

Pages 64-65
Quote:

250. Digital UK argued that DTT was necessary to safeguard the universal free availability of public service broadcasting. It noted that the future delivery of all TV through the internet was “conceivable” but it highlighted a number of challenges for this prospect. Broadband is still not universal: 13 per cent of adults do not have it. Broadband is associated with a monthly subscription contract which undermines the notion of ‘free TV’. It is also not as reliable or secure, and the internet TV industry is still developing.

251. Digital terrestrial television (DTT) will remain a major way for people to access linear television. The Government and Ofcom must ensure the continued provision of free spectrum for PSB output through DTT.
Their bold italics, not mine...

The relevance is that, at the moment, if you have a TV and an aerial (indoor or outdoor), you can watch Freeview TV at no extra expense, and with very little fuss (except for occasionally retuning the TV, and sometimes fiddling with the aerial if internal).

At the moment, 82% of the UK population have Broadband Access (not Internet Access, as people can have that through their smartphones) - under the IPTV delivery method (be it broadcast channels or SVOD, it's irrelevant), anyone without Broadband would be denied access to Freeview TV.

First issue, additional expense in purchasing Fixed Broadband so you can watch Freeview TV.

Next, if, like a lot of people, you have multiple TVs in your house, again, all you currently need is an aerial socket, or like me, the TVs in our bedroom and one of the other bedrooms just have a set-top aerial. If we had IP/Broadband delivered TV, people would need the wifi to be good enough, or network sockets, in those rooms.

Second issue, additional cost in setting up appropriate network/wifi connectivity to other TVs - especially in older houses with thick walls.

Then, what happens if the Broadband goes down? - no TV.
At the moment, if our Broadband goes down, we just go to the Digital channels, and carry on watching (if the programme is on Freeview, obviously). Or, over-utilisation or interference in your area could affect the quality of the programmes you are watching, due to the bandwidth being negatively affected/disrupted - remember the story late last year about a village having 18 months of slow speeds because of an old TV?

Third issue, if you lose your internet connection (or have it degraded), poor quality or no Freeview TV.

RichardCoulter 04-03-2021 16:23

This supports my view that one mux will remain for PSB channels for the foreseeable future; that doesn't neccesarily mean that Freeview will deliver anywhere near the number of channels it does today though.

In fact, the number of channels will reduce either this year or next year when Com7 is closed.

Hugh 04-03-2021 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072995)
A very interesting technical document, but with no proposed 'switch off' date for Freeview - whether 2027, 2035, or any other date Old Boy may or may not have floated at some point in this long and meandering discussion. ;)

As there is an ambition to eventually get high-speed data connections into every British home, IP delivery makes sense in the long run. There are various logistical challenges to overcome though, not least of which is ensuring the national grid has enough juice to power data networks that would be working exponentially harder than they do today.

And, lest we forget, if BBC One transmits its schedule over IP, with the News at 6, something with Nick Knowles at 8, drama at 9 and the news again at 10 ... that is still linear TV, regardless of what they're using to get the programme from their studio to your home.

Are you sure? I thought the definition was...

Quote:

Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615

Chris 04-03-2021 17:17

Nope. Those particular goalposts were shifted so far even the pie shop was offside.

RichardCoulter 04-03-2021 17:47

I don't understand the last two posts, aren't they the same thing ie linear TV is linear TV whether broadcast over the internet or the airwaves?

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072957)

As I explained, I provided this at the time but I am not trawling through any more posts attempting to find it. It could be lurking in one of a number of threads and it would take hours to go through them all.

I expect you or others would find a reason to rubbish it anyway so I wouldn't cry about it.

Hugh 04-03-2021 18:27

The CF equivalent of

"of course I have a girlfriend!

Why haven’t you met her?

Oh, she lives in Canada..
."

Anyway, back in the U.K., in 2035, what will people do for TV if they don’t have Broadband or their Broadband goes down?

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072978)
You are indulging in casuistry....

Someone states today "I won’t drink any alcohol after today".

Next day, someone spots them having a beer, and they say "I didn’t mean immediately after yesterday!".

Sure, Jan...

No, I'm telling you how I interpret the use of the word. I accept the way you took it, but that is not how I meant it.

If I give up drinking in 2011 and my wife leaves me in 2016, someone might ask if she left because of my drinking. If I then say she left me after I had stopped drinking, that would be correct, despite the time gap.

I really don't know why you persist in trying to trip people up by reference to specific words they use. You know what they mean, so why not concentrate on the issues being debated? Accept that sometimes you read things the wrong way, or perhaps not as the author intended.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072995)

Yes, it's still linear, but you would access it differently. That is my point.

Focussing on the 'l' word in this way is completely missing the crux of this matter.

Live (linear) programmes will be streamed. I presume you are not arguing about that.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072997)
Something from another thread last year, but relevant to this.

The future of DTT from The House of Lords Select Committee on Communications and Digital - 1st Report of Session 2019 - published 5th November 2019.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...muni/16/16.pdf

Pages 64-65

Their bold italics, not mine...

The relevance is that, at the moment, if you have a TV and an aerial (indoor or outdoor), you can watch Freeview TV at no extra expense, and with very little fuss (except for occasionally retuning the TV, and sometimes fiddling with the aerial if internal).

At the moment, 82% of the UK population have Broadband Access (not Internet Access, as people can have that through their smartphones) - under the IPTV delivery method (be it broadcast channels or SVOD, it's irrelevant), anyone without Broadband would be denied access to Freeview TV.

First issue, additional expense in purchasing Fixed Broadband so you can watch Freeview TV.

Next, if, like a lot of people, you have multiple TVs in your house, again, all you currently need is an aerial socket, or like me, the TVs in our bedroom and one of the other bedrooms just have a set-top aerial. If we had IP/Broadband delivered TV, people would need the wifi to be good enough, or network sockets, in those rooms.

Second issue, additional cost in setting up appropriate network/wifi connectivity to other TVs - especially in older houses with thick walls.

Then, what happens if the Broadband goes down? - no TV.
At the moment, if our Broadband goes down, we just go to the Digital channels, and carry on watching (if the programme is on Freeview, obviously). Or, over-utilisation or interference in your area could affect the quality of the programmes you are watching, due to the bandwidth being negatively affected/disrupted - remember the story late last year about a village having 18 months of slow speeds because of an old TV?

Third issue, if you lose your internet connection (or have it degraded), poor quality or no Freeview TV.

Fair enough, although the Culture Secretary is 'mooting' his idea of abolishing the licence fee in favour of a subscription, despite what that report says.

Note also that Freeview is changing to allow more on demand services.

Good point about internet going down.

Chris 04-03-2021 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073035)
Yes, it's still linear, but you would access it differently. That is my point.

It only became your point after you comprehensively lost your original argument, which was that there is no future for linear tv channels. Remember how you used to go on and on about how much you loved setting up your to-watch lists and how brain-dead you thought people were who still preferred to switch on to an evening of curated programming from one of the established broadcasters? I know you do.

RichardCoulter 04-03-2021 18:49

Freeview has also decided to allow the streaming of channels where they are not available to some people via DTT e.g. Freeview Lite areas.

I think they are doing this to stay relevant as the number of channels broadcast in the traditional way will decrease as time progresses. For most of the channels currently available, it will be a case of streaming them over the internet or losing them.

Now that Freeview & Freesat are to merge operations, maybe we will see a combined Freeat/Freeview solution with the ability to stream channels- all on one EPG.

This could also be a cost effective way to get the BBC1 & Channel 4 regional variants rolled out in HD.

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073041)
It only became your point after you comprehensively lost your original argument, which was that there is no future for linear tv channels. Remember how you used to go on and on about how much you loved setting up your to-watch lists and how brain-dead you thought people were who still preferred to switch on to an evening of curated programming from one of the established broadcasters? I know you do.

We've done to death the 'linear' argument, Chris. You know very well that I was using the word in the commonly used context, not in the strictly technical sense.

Once it became clear that some of you were interpreting linear in that way, and not to mean scheduled channels, I clarified that live programming would be streamed.

Do you seriously believe that I ever intended anyone to think we wouldn't be able to watch live sport, etc anymore? Don't be daft!

spiderplant 04-03-2021 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073035)
If I give up drinking in 2011 and my wife leaves me in 2016

Hold on - you are talking about 2011 in the future tense? You use a different calendar to the rest of us! Suddenly it all makes sense :)

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 19:48

There’s a joke in there spider which is eluding me...!

Chris 04-03-2021 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073049)
We've done to death the 'linear' argument, Chris. You know very well that I was using the word in the commonly used context, not in the strictly technical sense.

Once it became clear that some of you were interpreting linear in that way, and not to mean scheduled channels, I clarified that live programming would be streamed.

Do you seriously believe that I ever intended anyone to think we wouldn't be able to watch live sport, etc anymore? Don't be daft!

There go the goalposts, cheerfully cantering down the tunnel and out of the stadium ...

Hugh 04-03-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073049)

Pretty sure no one who disagreed with your proposition defined linear to mean anything other than "a schedule of programmes" - if they did, they were in a very small minority...

However, in Nov 2019, Chris said

Quote:

Pretty much as some of us have been saying all along ... any TV that is broadcast to a schedule is linear, regardless of whether it’s made available by terrestrial, satellite, cable or over IP.
you said
Quote:

But the scheduled TV channels as we know them now almost certainly will not exist with IPTV
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...r#post36018715

jfman 04-03-2021 20:09

So OB which is it by 2035?

The traditional broadcast systems - terrestrial and satellite (I’ll leave cable to the side to avoid confusion), scheduled channels or all of the above?

Hugh 04-03-2021 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073058)
There go the goalposts, cheerfully cantering down the tunnel and out of the stadium ...

Less of a canter, more like the goalposts ran out of the stadium, hit the railway track, careens wildly down the embankment, smashes through a circus, bulldozes a mink farm, and plows into the river, where it bursts into flame, then rolls over and explodes, raining down smoking clown shrapnel and flaming weasels over a terrified countryside.

(h/t Stonekettle)

OLD BOY 04-03-2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073060)
Pretty sure no one who disagreed with your proposition defined linear to mean anything other than "a schedule of programmes" - if they did, they were in a very small minority...

However, in Nov 2019, Chris said

you said

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...r#post36018715

There’s no contradiction. The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started (as it does now on Amazon).

The use of the word ‘linear’ was meant to refer to our traditional TV channels. It was widely described in this way on the internet at that time. Unfortunately, I didn’t bargain for all the nit-picking that would result from this on the forum. Silly me.

Anyway, let’s move on. All of that was five years ago. Time to get over it. It’s much more interesting to talk about various scenarios that may transpire in the coming years.

Except for those who cannot bear the thought that all those channel numbers might actually disappear over the next decade or so and don’t want to even try to imagine that.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073063)
So OB which is it by 2035?

The traditional broadcast systems - terrestrial and satellite (I’ll leave cable to the side to avoid confusion), scheduled channels or all of the above?

Baiting again, jfman?

jfman 04-03-2021 20:57

No baiting OB. After years of contradictory statements it'd be nice to get the new thread off on the right footing by clearly defining what we mean. To avoid years of confusion.

And on a point of order linear television doesn't require channel numbers in the interface. Just pre-empting the next goal post shift.

The Sky Go apps (e.g. on PlayStation) and BT Sport apps can be used to watch linear, scheduled television without numbers.

Chris 04-03-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073071)
There’s no contradiction. The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started (as it does now on Amazon).

The use of the word ‘linear’ was meant to refer to our traditional TV channels. It was widely described in this way on the internet at that time. Unfortunately, I didn’t bargain for all the nit-picking that would result from this on the forum. Silly me.

Anyway, let’s move on. All of that was five years ago. Time to get over it. It’s much more interesting to talk about various scenarios that may transpire in the coming years.

Except for those who cannot bear the thought that all those channel numbers might actually disappear over the next decade or so and don’t want to even try to imagine that.

Baiting again, jfman?

It’s not a matter of getting over anything, old bean. This is a discussion forum. Discussion relies on propositions, evidence and argument. If your propositions keep changing - which they do - then your evidence is irrelevant and your arguments are meaningless. That’s why the discussion keeps orbiting your shifting definitions of terms. Until we all know what we’re talking about there’s no point trying to proceed.

Hugh 04-03-2021 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073071)

Baiting again, jfman?

But that isn’t what we are saying - we are saying there will still be (delivered by IPTV, DTT, or whatever) a regular schedule of programmes, running throughout the morning, day, and evening, running on after each other, just like now - there may not be as many channels as now, but there will a reasonable number.

That is completely different from "The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started".

I think they will co-exist, not be mutually exclusive...

jfman 04-03-2021 21:55

This is exactly why I'm trying to pin down the definition of linear which OB refuses to deliver.

We've not even touched on the Pluto TV contradiction yet.

vincerooney 05-03-2021 01:29

I said at the time closing BBC3 was a ridiculously stupid decision.

BBC1- General entertainment BBC2- High brow shows BBC3- Teen/twenty year old shows BBC4- High brow shows a little more high brow

When trying to save money how on earth did the BBC executives think "oh....lets save BBC4 which pretty much gives the same type of show as BBC2 rather than focus on the younger generation who we need to keep the license fee going"

I say that as someone who supports the BBC too. It was beyond thick. Whoever made that decision would appear to have graduated from thickerson university with a degree in thickery.

Should have closed BBC4 and merged it with BBC2. Kept BBC3 open. If you'd wanted the young audience you could have just had some classic bbc kids shows between 10am-6pm and got the millenials to watch the shows they watched as kids. Look how well that show from CBBC about the girl who was in the childrens home.

jfman 05-03-2021 07:18

The thing is it didn't really save as much as portrayed as they still had to develop BBC 3 type content for broadcast on BBC 3 and in small portions at random hours on BBC One.

All that changed, unsurprisingly, is that nobody watched it due to a lack of prominence.

Going from 7 (Freeview), 106 (cable and Freesat), 115 (Sky) to hidden away at the back of an app is in no way, shape or form comparable.

Mr K 05-03-2021 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36072938)
Channel 4 was the start of the decline...

No, Sky and satellite/cable tv was start of the decline. We wanted quantity over quality and we got it.

jfman 05-03-2021 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36073103)
No, Sky and satellite/cable tv was start of the decline. We wanted quantity over quality and we got it.

I don't think the original analogue Sky/cable services were awful in terms of balance.

Then digital came along and suddenly you had capacity for hundreds of channels. Which has always been my point around linear channels - they are extremely cheap to operate if you own the content anyway.

Carth 05-03-2021 09:49

With 7 (seven) minutes of adverts every 15 minutes, I think it's more about revenue than content :p:

Paul 05-03-2021 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073086)
This is exactly why I'm trying to pin down the definition of linear which OB refuses to deliver.

Google is your friend ;

Quote:

Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program at the time it's broadcast and on its original channel. It also can be recorded via DVR and watched later.
:D

buckeye 05-03-2021 17:25

This isn't about the future of television but as the Netflix/Streaming Services thread is now closed with people redirected to this thread I guess this is the place to post streaming service news.......

Starzplay are currently offering a deal of 6 months at £1:99 a month and Eurosport are offering a 12 month sub for £19:99.

If its inappropriate to share this news here please can a mod tell me where I should share it now the natural home for such news has closed its doors?

Chris 05-03-2021 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36073234)
This isn't about the future of television but as the Netflix/Streaming Services thread is now closed with people redirected to this thread I guess this is the place to post streaming service news.......

Starzplay are currently offering a deal of 6 months at £1:99 a month and Eurosport are offering a 12 month sub for £19:99.

If its inappropriate to share this news here please can a mod tell me where I should share it now the natural home for such news has closed its doors?

Please feel free to start a new thread for this - if you give it a title reflecting the fact that it’s for news and announcements that would be great. The old thread was just too cluttered with ... well. You see it here now.

jfman 05-03-2021 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073202)
Google is your friend ;

:D

I'm 100% on board with that definition.

Hugh 05-03-2021 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073248)
I'm 100% on board with that definition.

I think most people are, and quite a lot of us have posted something similar... :)

jfman 05-03-2021 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073252)
I think most people are, and quite a lot of us have posted something similar... :)

I think there are two separate, legitimate discussions to be had. However they are entirely separate, as scheduled linear over IP is still linear. :)

Richard has raised the most pertinent point about DTT - it'd likely to be scaled back, maintaining a baseline, rather than one big switch off.

OLD BOY 06-03-2021 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073260)
I think there are two separate, legitimate discussions to be had. However they are entirely separate, as scheduled linear over IP is still linear. :)

Richard has raised the most pertinent point about DTT - it'd likely to be scaled back, maintaining a baseline, rather than one big switch off.

But as Hugh’s definition clarifies, it’s not recordable over IP.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073082)
But that isn’t what we are saying - we are saying there will still be (delivered by IPTV, DTT, or whatever) a regular schedule of programmes, running throughout the morning, day, and evening, running on after each other, just like now - there may not be as many channels as now, but there will a reasonable number.

That is completely different from "The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started".

I think they will co-exist, not be mutually exclusive...

I think what will happen is that programmes will appear on designated days, just like on other streamers. Only the live stuff will commence at a particular time later in the day.

You’ve only got to look at Amazon to see how this is likely to work.

Yes, it’s just a different method of delivery, but I have never claimed otherwise. But the way we access the content will feel very different from now.

Hugh 06-03-2021 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073381)

I think what will happen is that programmes will appear on designated days, just like on other streamers. Only the live stuff will commence at a particular time later in the day.

Yes, it’s just a different method of delivery, but I have never claimed otherwise. But the way we access the content will feel very different from now.

Eh?

You can already record IPTV...

https://www.simplehelp.net/2019/12/1...n-iptv-stream/

ON your second point, you’re still saying there won’t be a daily schedule of timed programmes running one after another (like we have now), just scheduled live "stuff"?

I beg to disagree.

pip08456 06-03-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073384)
Eh?

ON your second point, you’re still saying there won’t be a daily schedule of timed programmes running one after another (like we have now), just scheduled live "stuff"?

I beg to disagree.

Yes Hugh you can record an IPTV stream manually and not just through VLAN. Now be a good little boy and go research how to set up IPTV linear stream program in advance.

Chris 06-03-2021 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073381)

So in other words you still think that linear TV will end, with the extremely limited exception of stuff that can’t physically be supplied any other way because it’s live. You think no broadcaster would actually choose to make any content available according to a strict linear schedule.

Or am I misunderstanding you again? Perhaps put it this way: do you or do you not think that Eastenders and Coronation Street will continue to be made available at a set time each weekday evening?

jfman 06-03-2021 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36073388)
Yes Hugh you can record an IPTV stream manually and not just through VLAN. Now be a good little boy and go research how to set up IPTV linear stream program in advance.

I'm sure whoever provides the set top boxes of the future will help out here.

pip08456 06-03-2021 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073394)
I'm sure whoever provides the set top boxes of the future will help out here.

I have no doubt but you cannot at present which I think OB was alluding to.

Hugh 06-03-2021 22:52

Quote:

Eh?

I beg to disagree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36073388)

Someone pee on your chips, or are you always so sour?

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36073397)

But we’re talking about 14 years in the future, when he believes everything will be delivered over IP...

jfman 06-03-2021 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36073397)

Well that's the challenge with OBs predictions - it's hard to pin down exactly what he means because he refuses to answer straightforward questions that would assist others in understanding his intent.

The likelihood is cloud recording, to the extent recording exists at all, would replace local recording on a STB over time. In which case all you are really doing is streaming 'on demand'. Of course that doesn't mean that linear television won't exist at all.

OLD BOY 07-03-2021 18:43

Quote:

Eh?

I beg to disagree.

Oh, yeah, I can well imagine the multitudes doing that!

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073391)
So in other words you still think that linear TV will end, with the extremely limited exception of stuff that can’t physically be supplied any other way because it’s live. You think no broadcaster would actually choose to make any content available according to a strict linear schedule.

Or am I misunderstanding you again? Perhaps put it this way: do you or do you not think that Eastenders and Coronation Street will continue to be made available at a set time each weekday evening?

Obviously, that could happen, but I think it is far more likely that these programmes will be loaded at the same time each morning. Why would they load the day’s programmes to an on demand system in dribs and drabs? Only the live streams are likely to be available from a later time in the day or evening, I would have thought.

jfman 07-03-2021 19:08

So there are live streams of scheduled content? :confused:

OLD BOY 07-03-2021 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073400)
Well that's the challenge with OBs predictions - it's hard to pin down exactly what he means because he refuses to answer straightforward questions that would assist others in understanding his intent.

The likelihood is cloud recording, to the extent recording exists at all, would replace local recording on a STB over time. In which case all you are really doing is streaming 'on demand'. Of course that doesn't mean that linear television won't exist at all.

You must be seriously over-thinking this, jfman.

Scheduled channels gone. Content by on demand and streaming. What is confusing about that?

Clearly, you disagree with my view of the future, which is fine. Knock yourself out.

Hugh 07-03-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073440)
Oh, yeah, I can well imagine the multitudes doing that!

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Obviously, that could happen, but I think it is far more likely that these programmes will be loaded at the same time each morning. Why would they load the day’s programmes to an on demand system in dribs and drabs? Only the live streams are likely to be available from a later time in the day or evening, I would have thought.

I thought you were the one who thought solutions could be found for everything?

btw, I was only showing that IPTV could be recorded, not recommending it... ;)

As was said earlier, by 2035, I would imagine most recordings are kept in the "cloud", however they are delivered/retained.

(Be a beggar when t’internet goes down - no TV, no recordings to watch)

jfman 07-03-2021 19:56

I do disagree, yes absolutely. However your contradictions made it difficult to work out exactly what points I’m supposed to challenge. I can’t, genuinely, work out if someone watching a scheduled television channel over an app is watching what you consider to be linear. Or if such channels will exist in your 2037 vision a la Pluto TV.

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073446)
I thought you were the one who thought solutions could be found for everything?

btw, I was only showing that IPTV could be recorded, not recommending it... ;)

As was said earlier, by 2035, I would imagine most recordings are kept in the "cloud", however they are delivered/retained.

(Be a beggar when t’internet goes down - no TV, no recordings to watch)

Agreed, although I think these would be bookmarks rather than recordings, wouldn't they?

I also agree that with no internet, there would be no TV. That would certainly be a bummer.

1andrew1 08-03-2021 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073471)
Agreed, although I think these would be bookmarks rather than recordings, wouldn't they?

I also agree that with no internet, there would be no TV. That would certainly be a bummer.

BT's broadband options now include the option for the router to switch to the EE 4G mobile network if broadband goes down. With 5G rolling out, I could see this helping to work around such TV downtimes in the short term, though not perfect.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/bt-hybrid-connect

jfman 08-03-2021 09:37

It's the percentage of people who don't want/need internet that would suddenly be paying £30+ for full fibre just to get a minimum TV service that's the issue.

Chris 08-03-2021 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073481)
It's the percentage of people who don't want/need internet that would suddenly be paying £30+ for full fibre just to get a minimum TV service that's the issue.

Yup. As long as public service broadcasting is a principle upheld in UK legislation, there will have to be a way of delivering it that’s free to receive.

Far too many people have so far failed to grasp the implications of public service broadcasting, especially on the Tory right where there’s a tendency to make simplistic and wholly false connections between the TV license and Netflix-style subscriptions. The only way the BBC is going to go behind a paywall is if it is relieved of its PSB obligations. And if the BBC is no longer a public service broadcaster, why should ITV, Channel 4 and Five want to continue to be saddled with those obligations?

A public service broadcaster has to be free-to-view, otherwise it’s not providing a public service. It really is that simple.

If the future is in IP delivery then we either abandon public service broadcasting or we put a service obligation on telecoms companies to provide IP-based TV streams for free. That’s a lot to ask.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073493)
Yup. As long as public service broadcasting is a principle upheld in UK legislation, there will have to be a way of delivering it that’s free to receive.

Far too many people have so far failed to grasp the implications of public service broadcasting, especially on the Tory right where there’s a tendency to make simplistic and wholly false connections between the TV license and Netflix-style subscriptions. The only way the BBC is going to go behind a paywall is if it is relieved of its PSB obligations. And if the BBC is no longer a public service broadcaster, why should ITV, Channel 4 and Five want to continue to be saddled with those obligations?

A public service broadcaster has to be free-to-view, otherwise it’s not providing a public service. It really is that simple.

If the future is in IP delivery then we either abandon public service broadcasting or we put a service obligation on telecoms companies to provide IP-based TV streams for free. That’s a lot to ask.

But the BBC falls under the umbrella of a public service broadcaster and it is not free to watch BBC channels

Chris 08-03-2021 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36073497)
But the BBC falls under the umbrella of a public service broadcaster and it is not free to watch BBC channels

This is where the fine distinction between a subscription and a licence comes in.

You need a licence to operate equipment that receives TV broadcasts. That definition has been fudged slightly so that for IP delivery, you only need the licence to use iPlayer to view programmes as broadcast. You don't need the licence for other IP players and you don't need it to view BBC content stored in the iPlayer for catch up viewing.

Further, unlike a subscription, paying the licence fee does not create a contractual obligation between you and the BBC. If you pay Sky for service and they don't provide it, you have redress under the Sale of Goods Act. If you buy a TV licence and then find, for whatever reason, you can't receive BBC transmissions, then you have no redress at all.

The fact that the BBC is the organisation that collects and spends the licence fee is what leads to the false comparisons with TV companies that operate via subscription. But to make that comparison is to fail to understand the legal distinctions that have been made. These may seem esoteric but they're actually very important for understanding where we are, and the very real legislative issues that will need to be overcome if in future we're going to opt for something else.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 11:05

You originally and me in response said "Free" having to pay for a licence removes the free part. That is all I meant. The rest of your explanation I knew. Personally I would be happy for the BBC to start advertising and save the £15 a month I have to pay to watch Eastenders for a bottle of Gin

Stuart 08-03-2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36073507)
You originally and me in response said "Free" having to pay for a licence removes the free part. That is all I meant. The rest of your explanation I knew. Personally I would be happy for the BBC to start advertising and save the £15 a month I have to pay to watch Eastenders for a bottle of Gin

I think it's slightly inaccurate to say the BBC is free. It isn't. Nothing is. I think it's more accurate to say that, like the NHS and most of the Road network, the BBC is free at the point of use.

Personally, I think the BBC is generally good. I think they've become a little too frightened of offending the government, which is bad as I think we need a public broadcaster that is free and willing to openly hold those who govern to account, and the BBC is repeatedly failing at that task. Apart from that, they are good, and I am happy to pay my licence fee.

tweetiepooh 08-03-2021 12:21

My TV has a receiver in it wired to an ariel on the roof. If VM service is down I can still use that to watch something, especially live sport like 6 Nations, and from the comfort of my front room.
I've holidayed in places with a set and ariel and that's all.
Radios especially in cars will still want to receive programmes including BBC and in many cases you can't replace with some IP/5G internet thingy. Classic cars for example.

Wonder how many young adults with young kids would support PBS broadcasting via an ariel if stuck at home with the internet down. Suddenly having CBeeBees easily available for "free" would seem a small price to pay license fee for.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36073512)
I think it's slightly inaccurate to say the BBC is free. It isn't. Nothing is. I think it's more accurate to say that, like the NHS and most of the Road network, the BBC is free at the point of use.

Personally, I think the BBC is generally good. I think they've become a little too frightened of offending the government, which is bad as I think we need a public broadcaster that is free and willing to openly hold those who govern to account, and the BBC is repeatedly failing at that task. Apart from that, they are good, and I am happy to pay my licence fee.

I never said the BBC is free Chris did I said it wasn't free

Chris 08-03-2021 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36073516)
I never said the BBC is free Chris did I said it wasn't free

And it is, in the sense I clarified when you asked. ;)

The disconnection between payment for, and access to, the BBC's services is evident in its website, its radio output and even its TV service as long as you only access that content after broadcast.

The TV licence is not a BBC subscription, it is a licence to operate a TV receiver. I appreciate the difference is subtle, but in the context of this discussion it's relevant.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073518)
And it is, in the sense I clarified when you asked. ;)

The disconnection between payment for, and access to, the BBC's services is evident in its website, its radio output and even its TV service as long as you only access that content after broadcast.

The TV licence is not a BBC subscription, it is a licence to operate a TV receiver. I appreciate the difference is subtle, but in the context of this discussion it's relevant.

saying in the sense means there is another sense where it is not so its semantics . The BBC is funded by the TV licence so anyone who pays the TV licence is paying to watch those who do not are not paying. I pay so it is not free

Mr K 08-03-2021 14:56

This wouldn't have turned in to the billionth licence fee thread on CF would it? ;)

Amazes how so many moan about £13 a month for mostly new content, and pay VM/Sky £100 a month for mostly repeats. True its a universal charge which is why its so low. We need a public service broadcaster that isn't relevant on advertising, or we wouldn't get risk taking or programmes commercial channels wouldn't make.

denphone 08-03-2021 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36073542)
This wouldn't have turned in to the billionth licence fee thread on CF would it? ;)

Amazes how so many moan about £13 a month for mostly new content, and pay VM/Sky £100 a month for mostly repeats. True its a universal charge which is why its so low. We need a public service broadcaster that isn't relevant on advertising, or we wouldn't get risk taking or programmes commercial channels wouldn't make.

Pretty much spot on Mr K.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36073542)

I am on Freesat and download a lot of the TV I watch off usenet

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073493)

Public service broadcasting itself is under review. By the way, once broadband is fully rolled out, there is no reason the Beeb could not go IPTV, even if public service broadcasting obligations are retained.

As things stand now, you need a TV, plus an aerial or a TV subscription (via Sky, BT, VM, Talk Talk, etc), and of course you need electricity. It’s certainly not free. Why is the internet any different? It is pretty well a necessity in the modern world.

This article is quite interesting in terms of current audience preferences.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20210307...adcast-tv.html

[EXTRACT]

Currently, half of UK TV audiences said they turned to streaming channels ahead of broadcast. When delving into the different consumption patterns between CTV and broadcast channels, the study found that three-fifths (62%) of viewers watch broadcast TV out of habit, whereas three-fifths (62%) of respondents choose CTV as their default service because it boasted their favourite shows and half (51%) enjoy the greater variety of content. When looking at streaming behaviour by age, the preference was even more pronounced. Nearly seven in ten (70%) Millennials and GenZers were found to go directly to streaming channels first over broadcast.

Hugh 08-03-2021 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36073559)
I am on Freesat and download a lot of the TV I watch off usenet

Somebody, somewhere, has to pay for those programmes you download to be made, and Freesat is provided as a PSB by the BBC and ITV...

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073570)
Public service broadcasting itself is under review. By the way, once broadband is fully rolled out, there is no reason the Beeb could not go IPTV, even if public service broadcasting obligations are retained.

As things stand now, you need a TV, plus an aerial or a TV subscription (via Sky, BT, VM, Talk Talk, etc), and of course you need electricity. It’s certainly not free. Why is the internet any different? It is pretty well a necessity in the modern world.

This article is quite interesting in terms of current audience preferences.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20210307...adcast-tv.html

People who want to sell advertising on streaming TV produce poll that shows it’s worth advertising on streaming TV...

But 18 million homes at the moment have the choice not to have any subscription - you want to take that choice away from them...

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 20:02

We have to pay the licence fee. I would like the choice, but there is no other option if I want to watch TV.

Chris 08-03-2021 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073574)
We have to pay the licence fee. I would like the choice, but there is no other option if I want to watch TV.

This is because Parliament has determined that a well-funded national broadcaster is the best means of ensuring a guaranteed depth and breadth of quality programming.

It’s easy to assume that American style TV would be great for the UK given the quality of much the stuff that is imported here, however we only see a small fraction of what actually fills airtime in the USA and trust me, an average evening on an average channel on American TV is horrific. It’s dross, mostly cheap talking head news magazines and fairly constant commercial breaks.

jfman 08-03-2021 20:22

Public service broadcasting may well be "under review".

That doesn't mean it will cease to exist. The discussion centres around how and where it's provisioned. Nobody is proposing to remove it from the millions of homes that can't get (or don't want) an expensive fibre broadband package.

Jaymoss 08-03-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073571)
Somebody, somewhere, has to pay for those programmes you download to be made, and Freesat is provided as a PSB by the BBC and ITV...

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

People who want to sell advertising on streaming TV produce poll that shows it’s worth advertising on streaming TV...

But 18 million homes at the moment have the choice not to have any subscription - you want to take that choice away from them...

Loads of people on the forum watch TV on the US Timeline so have to "Pirate" it in some way or another. If I had not seen it posted about then I would not have said anything

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073575)
This is because Parliament has determined that a well-funded national broadcaster is the best means of ensuring a guaranteed depth and breadth of quality programming.

It’s easy to assume that American style TV would be great for the UK given the quality of much the stuff that is imported here, however we only see a small fraction of what actually fills airtime in the USA and trust me, an average evening on an average channel on American TV is horrific. It’s dross, mostly cheap talking head news magazines and fairly constant commercial breaks.

Quite, but whatever, the Culture Secretary wants to convert the TV licence into a BBC subscription model, which surely is why we are having this debate.

I’m sure that the last thing we want is to follow the path of American TV, but we have better options than that.

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073576)
Public service broadcasting may well be "under review".

That doesn't mean it will cease to exist. The discussion centres around how and where it's provisioned. Nobody is proposing to remove it from the millions of homes that can't get (or don't want) an expensive fibre broadband package.

I don’t think PSB will be abolished, but I think it will be redefined and funded differently.

RichardCoulter 08-03-2021 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073502)
This is where the fine distinction between a subscription and a licence comes in.

You need a licence to operate equipment that receives TV broadcasts. That definition has been fudged slightly so that for IP delivery, you only need the licence to use iPlayer to view programmes as broadcast. You don't need the licence for other IP players and you don't need it to view BBC content stored in the iPlayer for catch up viewing.

Further, unlike a subscription, paying the licence fee does not create a contractual obligation between you and the BBC. If you pay Sky for service and they don't provide it, you have redress under the Sale of Goods Act. If you buy a TV licence and then find, for whatever reason, you can't receive BBC transmissions, then you have no redress at all.

The fact that the BBC is the organisation that collects and spends the licence fee is what leads to the false comparisons with TV companies that operate via subscription. But to make that comparison is to fail to understand the legal distinctions that have been made. These may seem esoteric but they're actually very important for understanding where we are, and the very real legislative issues that will need to be overcome if in future we're going to opt for something else.

You do now, they changed this on 1/9/16.

Chris 08-03-2021 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073582)
Quite, but whatever, the Culture Secretary wants to convert the TV licence into a BBC subscription model, which surely is why we are having this debate.

I’m sure that the last thing we want is to follow the path of American TV, but we have better options than that.

He does. He is not the first Tory to want this. He will not be the last. However, unless and until defunding the BBC appears in the party’s election manifesto, it is just the musing of a right-wing MP. His position as Culture Secretary gives him a platform to promote his view but no more influence in making it happen than anyone else.

Quote:

I don’t think PSB will be abolished, but I think it will be redefined and funded differently.
I imagine this sounded really quite insightful inside your head. In practice it’s just the usual hot air.

Bearing in mind that there are six PSBs in the UK (BBC, ITV, STV, Channel 4, S4C, Five) and four of them are funded entirely by commercial operations, what is this ‘differently’ of which you speak? Public Service Broadcasting requires mass penetration in order to work commercially. S4C has proven that trying to do PSB on commercial terms exclusively for a niche audience doesn’t work - it has long required State support and has now almost fully transitioned from a mix of commercial revenue and direct State aid, to 100% license fee funding (as per Tory policy incidentally - the process will be complete in 2022).

What do you think PSB is and how might it be ‘redefined’? If you think it won’t be funded by commercial breaks in free-to-air programming, how will it be funded? And, if it is Tory policy to stop direct financial support for S4C and fund it out of the licence fee instead, what does that actually say about Tory policy towards the future of the TV licence?

Hugh 08-03-2021 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36073578)
Loads of people on the forum watch TV on the US Timeline so have to "Pirate" it in some way or another. If I had not seen it posted about then I would not have said anything

It wasn’t a criticism of you (or anyone else) - I was just pointing out that someone, somewhere was paying for it, it’s not "free", and the Freesat isn’t "free" either.

jfman 22-03-2021 20:51

Saw it reported in a tweet this morning that 9.6 million people watched Line of Duty last night (BBC One, 9pm to 10pm).

Is this likely to be the total for the scheduled broadcast or will it count iPlayer views up to a cutoff?

jfman 25-03-2021 10:02

TV licence here to 2038 in the absence of any other good ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-bbc-2038-mps

Mr K 25-03-2021 10:17

The licence fee isn't going anywhere till at least 2038. Our broadband isn't up to everyone streaming.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...e-say/#comment
Quote:

Britain is stuck with the licence fee until 2038 because the Government's failure to roll out super-fast broadband has left no viable alternative, MPs have concluded.

The Government's pledge to deliver full-fibre broadband to every home by 2025 was downgraded to a target of just 85 per cent in November.

A subscription-based, universal alternative to the licence fee would require all households to be online before the next BBC Charter is negotiated for 2028-38. That now appears all but impossible, according to a report by the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee.

"It's clear that the BBC TV licence fee has a limited shelf life in a digital media landscape. However, the Government has missed the boat to reform it," said Julian Knight, the committee's chairman.

"Instead of coming up with a workable alternative, it has sealed its own fate through a failure to develop a broadband infrastructure that would allow serious consideration of other means to fund the BBC."

A recent report by Parliament's spending watchdog concluded that the 85 per cent target was unlikely to be met within five years.

The DCMS committee's report into the future of public service broadcasting said that "whilst the majority of people in the UK theoretically have access to a broadband connection which would enable them to access online TV services, there are still a significant number of households which do not".

It said there were "significant variations" in broadband coverage between rural and urban areas, and this was "not a problem that will be solved any time soon". According to Ofcom, around 190,000 homes do not have access to a "decent" broadband service.

Additionally, the committee heard from Virgin that a wholly internet-based television service would considerably increase the pressure on broadband networks and require significant investment into network capacity.

denphone 25-03-2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36075244)
TV licence here to 2038 in the absence of any other good ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-bbc-2038-mps

No surprise with that decision.