Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705938)

Major dude 16-01-2018 11:30

Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

Just upgraded to a V6 having negotiated a reduction from £67 to £30.25 @ month for my package. Had to give notice of cancellation to trigger the offer though.
The V6 setup screens are still reminiscent of my old Series one TiVos, without the original TiVo animated sequence. So much quicker though and the V6 just flies through each of the stages. Boots up much quicker too than the old Virginmedia TiVo box and my Humax foxsat.
Now have to decide whether multiroom is worth having or not for the extra £7.50@month(?) as we hardly ever use a second TV in the bedroom.
Well worth upgrading to V6 even though I do not have 4K yet.

OLD BOY 16-01-2018 12:39

Re: Just like the old Series 1 TiVo setup but so quick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major dude (Post 35932722)
Just upgraded to a V6 having negotiated a reduction from £67 to £30.25 @ month for my package. Had to give notice of cancellation to trigger the offer though.
The V6 setup screens are still reminiscent of my old Series one TiVos, without the original TiVo animated sequence. So much quicker though and the V6 just flies through each of the stages. Boots up much quicker too than the old Virginmedia TiVo box and my Humax foxsat.
Now have to decide whether multiroom is worth having or not for the extra £7.50@month(?) as we hardly ever use a second TV in the bedroom.
Well worth upgrading to V6 even though I do not have 4K yet.

Glad to see you are enjoying your V6, MD! I am so glad that I changed my Tivo for a V6 a year ago - well worth it.

Although you may wish to use an upstairs box only occasionally, don't forget that this can give you another 1TBs worth of recordings, which you can watch on either box. That's what I do, and I am extremely pleased with this set up.

Major dude 16-01-2018 14:05

Good point about the extra storage. How easy was it to set up? Did you use powerline or can you use a wireless link such as an Apple airport express?

devilincarnate 16-01-2018 14:07

Just use wifi to connect the boxes works well for me as I have one connected with a ethernet cable

Major dude 16-01-2018 14:18

So what is your old VM TiVo connected to so it can connect wirelessly?

devilincarnate 16-01-2018 14:28

Just got one V6 connected to the router and the other V6 connected wireless

Major dude 16-01-2018 14:38

I understand now. I would want to retain my VM TiVo and that would need a bridge to connect to the wireless network.

RobboEdin 16-01-2018 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major dude (Post 35932761)
I understand now. I would want to retain my VM TiVo and that would need a bridge to connect to the wireless network.

Use powerline adapters to Ethernet connect to TiVo.

The Yank 16-01-2018 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35932755)
Just use wifi to connect the boxes works well for me as I have one connected with a ethernet cable

Both of mine are WiFi only (no ethernet connection) they both work great with no intervention to increase signal at all.

Stuart 16-01-2018 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35932739)
Glad to see you are enjoying your V6, MD! I am so glad that I changed my Tivo for a V6 a year ago - well worth it.

Although you may wish to use an upstairs box only occasionally, don't forget that this can give you another 1TBs worth of recordings, which you can watch on either box. That's what I do, and I am extremely pleased with this set up.

I was thinking of adding a V6 to my old Tivo setup.

I was running out of space and fancied the idea of using the old Tivo as extra storage. I was planning to use the old box to stream stuff to the V6.

Didn't happen like that though. One day, all of a sudden, the old box rebooted and hang completing the startup. Phoned Customer Services. They said to wait an hour as the boxes can take a while to start. I waited an hour, and it was still hung. The next day, it was still hung, so I phoned VM. They sent an engineer round on Saturday, and installed both a new V6 and a Superhub 3. Sadly, he buggered up my network while installing it, but when he left, it only took me a couple of minutes to put it right. Love the V6. I can't really comment on the Shub, as I'm using it in Modem Mode and the old Shub 1 was fairly reliable in that mode.

OLD BOY 19-01-2018 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35932810)
I was thinking of adding a V6 to my old Tivo setup.

I was running out of space and fancied the idea of using the old Tivo as extra storage. I was planning to use the old box to stream stuff to the V6.

Didn't happen like that though. One day, all of a sudden, the old box rebooted and hang completing the startup. Phoned Customer Services. They said to wait an hour as the boxes can take a while to start. I waited an hour, and it was still hung. The next day, it was still hung, so I phoned VM. They sent an engineer round on Saturday, and installed both a new V6 and a Superhub 3. Sadly, he buggered up my network while installing it, but when he left, it only took me a couple of minutes to put it right. Love the V6. I can't really comment on the Shub, as I'm using it in Modem Mode and the old Shub 1 was fairly reliable in that mode.

Glad it all worked out, Stuart. My Shub 3 is working with no hitches (touch wood!).

denphone 19-01-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35932739)

Most Definitely OB.