Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

Paul 15-02-2024 04:08

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36170145)
Transmitter faults were a thing back in the good old days :shrug:

I cant recall ever not being able to watch TV due to a transmitter fault.

There have, however, been times over the years when my Sky has failed (lost signal) due to really heavy rain [only for a few minutes].

Media Boy UK 15-02-2024 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36170166)

There have, however, been times over the years when my Sky has failed (lost signal) due to really heavy rain [only for a few minutes].

Sky Sports has a very bad fault on Tuesday night with a EFL game - even Virgin has poor Picture.

It was that bad Sky has to move game to a other channel.

Horizon 15-02-2024 08:43

Quote:

I guess it depends on where you are in the country, but was quite common for me. And yes, as for the dish and rain... that was a primary reason I got cable tv in 1991 and had it continually until last year.

pip08456 15-02-2024 10:08

Quote:

I have vague memories of the odd transmitter fault. I wonder if it was during the time of transfer from VHF to UHF? I'm too old to remember back that far!:D

I also remember the potters wheel waiting for "Watch with Mother" to start!!!!!

BTW. She never did, always too busy.

OLD BOY 01-04-2024 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36169864)

What's the difference?

You yourself a mere 15 months ago were waxing lyrical about their position in the future over tired, boring, linear channels.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=660

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36142972)
I simply believe that as on demand viewing becomes prevalent, the broadcasters will choose not to take that route.

You missed the punchline, jfman.

OLD BOY 10-05-2024 20:03

The future beckons…

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/sky-sports...-satellite-tv/

Mr K 10-05-2024 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36174833)

They'll have to stop claiming sport is 'live' then. Streamed coverage can be minutes behind the live game. . Try syncing radio coverage of a game with a video stream. You have to pause the radio for ages for the video stream to catch up. They are going backwards really ;)

Of course the best experience is being there. The speed of light is the only delay :)

RichardCoulter 10-05-2024 20:21

Quote:

Sky+ HD subscribers are being offered a free upgrade to Sky Q (a saving of £99). I can't understand why they aren't offering Sky Stream or Sky Glass as the BBC has estimated that Sky will leave satellite in 5 to 10 years time.

jfman 10-05-2024 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36174834)
They'll have to stop claiming sport is 'live' then. Streamed coverage can be minutes behind the live game. . Try syncing radio coverage of a game with a video stream. You have to pause the radio for ages for the video stream to catch up. They are going backwards really ;)

Of course the best experience is being there. The speed of light is the only delay :)

Imagine the loss in value to betting companies from being unable to bet on events as they happen!

Hugh 10-05-2024 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36174837)
Imagine the loss in value to betting companies from being unable to bet on events as they happen!

BuT iT’s ThE FEWCHER!!!

Chris 10-05-2024 21:03

Quote:

The cheapest social broadband tariffs in the UK at present are £12 a month, for which you get 20Mbps broadband - not nearly enough to stream reliably to even one TV in a house full of bandwidth hungry kids.

There will be no streaming-only future, with or without streamed linear broadcasts, as long as people are expected to pay to receive what they currently can get for free.

Paul 11-05-2024 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36174835)
I can't understand why they aren't offering Sky Stream or Sky Glass as the BBC has estimated that Sky will leave satellite in 5 to 10 years time.

Because a lot less people would take it up.
Streaming is not an option for many (still), and for others, the lack of recording ability is a show stopper (its why we refused to move to stream).

OLD BOY 12-05-2024 12:10

Quote:

I know that’s frustrating when watching a live event, but the latency issues are being taken seriously. Hopefully, this will be resolved over the next few years.

Of course, Chris is right about the limitations of people who have slow broadband speeds.

jfman 12-05-2024 12:47

Or of course - those that don't want/need broadband at all.

Jeremy Corbin might have advocated for broadband communism with free broadband for all but I doubt this Government, or the next, or the one after that, or the one after that will.

ozsat 12-05-2024 13:29

The other day I found my Fotmob pinged as the goal was scored on the live ITV1 match.

I found that the ITV1 broadcast was about 20 seconds behind Radio 5 commentary of the same game - on DTT, D-Sat and cable.

Checking other games since I found there is a big delay on ITV1.

Most people would never know about delays in such things.

Quote: