Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   help with netbook connection (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33659710)

dansnan 29-12-2009 10:57

help with netbook connection

Hi, this is my first posting on here and I really need some advise. I have a dell mini netbook ( or I will have later, DHL tracking said its "out for delivery" :) I have bought it only as a "backup" in case my pc ever breaks down. Last time I waited 6 weeks for Comet to repair it and bring it back! and I HATE being without my pc! :dozey:. So am I right in thinking that all I need to do when I want to use the netbook is just plug the ethernet cable from the back of the pc into the netbook and I am connected to the internet?Or is there more to it than that. I don't need to go wireless as I said before the netbook is only for a back up.Please advise, thanks.

zing_deleted 29-12-2009 11:05

Re: help with netbook connection

do you have a router? if so the answer is yes just plug the ethernet in

In the unlikely event you do not you will need to power cycle the modem

dansnan 29-12-2009 11:15

Hi zing, is a router the same as a modem? ( I'm a bit thick when it comes to all the technical stuff) I have a cable modem Virgin sent me when it took over fron ntl who I was with at the time. Will it work with that? And how would I power up modem if I needed to.

zing_deleted 29-12-2009 11:19

no a router is not the same as a modem. do you just have one box with the cable going to this and another to the pc with nothing in between? if so then its just a modem and you will need to reboot it when you change machines connected.

If you have another box inbetween then you have a router as well

dansnan 29-12-2009 11:27

No, nothing in between so I must just have a modem ( I'll kill that flamin' lad at Comet who told me a modem and router were the same thing!) So, will I still be able to connect the netbook to the internet? Could you tell me step by step what I need to do please? Sorry for being a pain but the more info I google the more confused I get! :confused:

Raistlin 29-12-2009 11:30

When you want to connect your netbook instead of your PC:

1. Switch off the PC
2. Unplug the modem from the mains
3. Switch off the netbook
4. Unplug the ethernet from the back of the PC and plug into netbook
5. Plug modem back into mains
6. Wait a couple of minutes
7. Switch netbook on

All should now be well.

Wayfair 29-12-2009 11:30

You will be able to connect to the internet just by, powering down the modem, taking the ethernet out of the pc and plugging it into the netbook, powering the modem back up, turning the netbook on..

Job Done.

Just reverse the sequence when you want the pc back on line.

Edit:::: What Rob said...

dansnan 29-12-2009 11:46

Wow, thanks for your help. So it really is as easy at that! Do I just need to do that same thing each time I want to use the netbook? which hopefully it won't be often as it is just a back up. I will let you know how I get on when it arrives :D thank you all once again.

Raistlin 29-12-2009 11:55

Yep.

dansnan 29-12-2009 18:26

Hi again, I've just popped in to let you know that because of your help in explaining things so clearly my netbook is now up and running brilliantly!!:)It really was so easy. The only problem I had was the @ key....I just couldn't figure it out the the netbook keyboard, the keys are set out a bit differently to my "normal" keyboard. So I connected my "normal" keyboard and problem sorted ....great, and when I connected back to my PC everything was just as I left it ! :D so I am very happy. Thanks once again.

Raistlin 29-12-2009 18:30

I'm guessing that you have the wrong keyboard setup in Windows if you're having issues with the @ symbol - it wouldn't by any chance happen to be on the 2 (Shift + 2) where the " normally is would it?

If it is you need to go to into the control panel and tweak all your regional settings so that they're set to UK instead of (what I think you probably have at the moment) US. You'll find particularly that there is one there for the 'Input' device/settings, if you change this it should resolve your keyboard issue.

Glad you're sorted (more or less) anyway :tu: :)

Hom3r 29-12-2009 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansnan (Post 34935000)
No, nothing in between so I must just have a modem ( I'll kill that flamin' lad at Comet who told me a modem and router were the same thing!) So, will I still be able to connect the netbook to the internet? Could you tell me step by step what I need to do please? Sorry for being a pain but the more info I google the more confused I get! :confused:

You can get an ADSL Modem which has a built in router.

The connections look like a phone socket, but they are bigger.

webcrawler2050 29-12-2009 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansnan (Post 34935304)
Hi again, I've just popped in to let you know that because of your help in explaining things so clearly my netbook is now up and running brilliantly!!:)It really was so easy. The only problem I had was the @ key....I just couldn't figure it out the the netbook keyboard, the keys are set out a bit differently to my "normal" keyboard. So I connected my "normal" keyboard and problem sorted ....great, and when I connected back to my PC everything was just as I left it ! :D so I am very happy. Thanks once again.

Lesson learn't stear clear of PC World / Comet / Dixsons

dansnan 29-12-2009 18:52

Hi Rob, I already tried that, going to the control panel and changed from US to UK, but it doesn't really bother me that much because as the netbook is only going to be used in an emergency ie pc conking out :D and I prefer to use my normal keyboard and mouse with it anyway. I will set the netbook up again when I have more time and do I bit of tweaking to get it as I want it.

Raistlin 29-12-2009 18:53

Fair enough :tu: :)