Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Welsh language (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705254)

pip08456 12-08-2017 21:33

Re: The Welsh language

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912154)
They're self sufficient in water for a start ;)

They also sell water to England.

Kursk 12-08-2017 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35912146)
I’ve overheard some English people complain about our bilingual road signs too. All done just to annoy them obviously...

They're so ungrateful. Without bilingual signs they may still find Caerdydd, but perhaps not Casnewydd, Abertawe and Dinbych-y-Pysgod :) Hwyl.

Caff 13-08-2017 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35912183)
They're so ungrateful. Without bilingual signs they may still find Caerdydd, but perhaps not Casnewydd, Abertawe and Dinbych-y-Pysgod :) Hwyl.

Hey!
There is NOTHING wrong with 10B and that's it!:D

OLD BOY 13-08-2017 01:05

See? Different languages bring out the worst in people!

Maggy 13-08-2017 08:52

I always feel welcome in Wales..and it's absolutely beautiful country and the inhabitants are beautiful too.

denphone 13-08-2017 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35912200)
I always feel welcome in Wales..and it's absolutely beautiful country and the inhabitants are beautiful too.

+1

RichardCoulter 13-08-2017 13:20

Re: "The Welsh language

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911948)
It's all just a load of tosh, in my view. Language divides us, leads to misunderstandings and isolates those who speak these minority languages (unless they are bi-lingual).

In a perfect world, we would all speak one language. I'm sure we would all get on better if we did and it would cease to be a trade barrier. I'm sure there must be many a small business who would trade abroad if only they could communicate with people in those countries.

As for all these saints days, they are only useful as excuses to have a Bank Holiday for most people. Sorry, generalising again!

Totally agree with this, whilst a Welsh colleague disagreed with me when I expressed this view some time ago.

I think it should be recorded for historical reasons though; also any parents not ensuring that their children speak English too are doing them a disservice.

Whenever I've been to Wales the people have been fine, but on any caravan or chalet sites they always seem to have their radios on really loud!

It's either BBC Radio Wales or a service in Welsh.

Taf 13-08-2017 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35912256)
Whenever I've been to Wales the people have been fine, but on any caravan or chalet sites they always seem to have their radios on really loud!

They act like vegans a lot of the time "Listen to me I speak/understand Welsh!"

When it was just the annual Welsh language singing and poetry festival with the occasional druid thrown in, it was OK. You could ignore it if you wanted to.

But now they are trying to make it mandatory for all living in Wales.

And that causes resentment amongst many schoolkids and adults.

There has been a large influx of Welsh speakers from the low-industry north to the south. And they get jobs invented just for Welsh speakers. Jobs where all you have to be good at it speaking Welsh. And with them they brought their flavour of Welsh which has many differences with the local one.

Mick 13-08-2017 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912214)
+1

Used to go to Rhyl and Towyn a lot as a kid.

denphone 13-08-2017 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912270)
Used to go to Rhyl and Towyn a lot as a kid.

Many wonderful memories one suspects.:)

pip08456 13-08-2017 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35912269)
They act like vegans a lot of the time "Listen to me I speak/understand Welsh!"

When it was just the annual Welsh language singing and poetry festival with the occasional druid thrown in, it was OK. You could ignore it if you wanted to.

But now they are trying to make it mandatory for all living in Wales.

And that causes resentment amongst many schoolkids and adults.

There has been a large influx of Welsh speakers from the low-industry north to the south. And they get jobs invented just for Welsh speakers. Jobs where all you have to be good at it speaking Welsh. And with them they brought their flavour of Welsh which has many differences with the local one.

Fully explains north Wales

Russ 13-08-2017 18:54

Quote:

Well who’da thunk it....:rolleyes:

Seriously, no English or non-Welsh person can expect to be taken seriously when making any comment that implies the Welsh language has little/no value and should not furthered or spoken as much in Wales.

Would you go in to someone’s house and tell them to not speak their own language? I doubt any of you would be as rude.

Apparently it seems like the vast majority of English people (or apparently someone they know) have walked in to a pub in Wales where English is being spoken but as soon as the punters or staff twig where they’re from, conversation immediately turns to Welsh - amazingly nobody seems able to name this inhospitable pub - if that indeed does happen then those changing from English to Welsh are displaying massive ignorance, arrogance and deserve any drop in trade their behaviour creates.

OLD BOY 13-08-2017 20:00

Quote:

Totally agree with this, whilst a Welsh colleague disagreed with me when I expressed this view some time ago.

I think it should be recorded for historical reasons though; also any parents not ensuring that their children speak English too are doing them a disservice.

Yes, I really have no problems with people speaking Welsh, but I do think children should also be educated in a common language so they don't feel isolated in later life.

Russ 13-08-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35912328)
Yes, I really have no problems with people speaking Welsh, but I do think children should also be educated in a common language so they don't feel isolated in later life.

Isolated?

OLD BOY 13-08-2017 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35912351)
Isolated?

From the rest of the world, Russ.