Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Nuclear Fusion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710021)

Cobbydaler 12-05-2021 21:16

Nuclear Fusion

Quote:

Dr Greg Brittles' eyes gleam with excitement when he explains the project he is working on.

"It's every engineer's dream really, to have a project that's technically challenging, which requires you to develop new technology and solutions to hard problems, but that are also simultaneously important for the world to have."

Since finishing his research at Oxford University five years ago, he has been working for Tokamak Energy, a UK start-up that has plans to build a fusion reactor.
Link

joglynne 13-05-2021 11:40

Re: Nuclear Fusion

Very interesting link Cobby. I wonder, if sometime far in the future, they will be able to produce a scaled down version that can be used to power transport.

After all the original idea of using batteries to generate enough power for a car had people saying that you would need a trailer the same size as the car in order to cope with the shear weight and size of the batteries needed and look at us now.

The one thing I know is that it will be my Grandson who will be the one in my family to witness the great strides that Nuclear Fusion could provide to help the world in the future.

I just hope that those that have the funds to finance the work now will not restrict the benefits in any self centred quest for an extortionate financial gain if their investment bears fruit in the future.

Jaymoss 13-05-2021 12:02

then one goes out of control and boom there goes the Earth lol

All the particle accelerators of which there are thousands apparently have the chance all be it tiny of creating a quantum black hole which could swallow the Earth but they still do it

We need to mine more dilithium crystals and develop impulse engines and we will be ok ( well until a Kelpien goes mental ) hehehehehehe

joglynne 13-05-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36079346)
then one goes out of control and boom there goes the Earth lol

All the particle accelerators of which there are thousands apparently have the chance all be it tiny of creating a quantum black hole which could swallow the Earth but they still do it

We need to mine more dilithium crystals and develop impulse engines and we will be ok ( well until a Kelpien goes mental ) hehehehehehe

I guess I have assumed the roll of the forum Ostrich, burying my head in a none existent Nuclear Bunker, and didn't like to question whether there would be a potential threat to world safety if the Nuclear Fusion could be weaponised let alone us risk your scenario Jay.

(sorry for 'longest sentence of the day' competition entry)

Jaymoss 13-05-2021 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36079348)
I guess I have assumed the roll of the forum Ostrich, burying my head in a none existent Nuclear Bunker, and didn't like to question whether there would be a potential threat to world safety if the Nuclear Fusion could be weaponised let alone us risk your scenario Jay.

It is all remarkably unlikely

Chris 13-05-2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36079348)

Fusion is already weaponised in modern nuclear weapons. These use a small nuclear fission explosion to create the pressure (via x-rays) necessary to fuse hydrogen. The first hydrogen bombs (a.k.a. 'H-bomb') were detonated by the US in the very early 1950s. The Hiroshima bomb was a fission weapon and yielded about 16 kilotons. The biggest fusion weapon ever demonstrated was the USSR's Tsar Bomba in the early 1960s, which yielded 50 megatons.

Carth 13-05-2021 13:49

We're sorted then, all the modern households of the future will require are matchbox size 'fusion bombs' . . available from your local hardware store at competitive prices.

Single use only, full money back guarantee (T&C's apply), seller not liable for damage incurred to property or life when using this device. :D

Hom3r 14-05-2021 10:22

IIRC isn't Fusion the one that is less radioactive?

heero_yuy 14-05-2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36079416)
IIRC isn't Fusion the one that is less radioactive?

The by product is mainly Helium. IIRC There are no significant radioactive isotopes produced unlike fission.

Chris 14-05-2021 11:43

Yup, I believe the radiation left behind by an H-bomb comes from the fission explosion used to trigger the fusion one.

Paul 17-06-2021 18:46

Demonstration Fusion Plant to be built in UK ;

Quote:

A company backed by Amazon's Jeff Bezos is set to build a large-scale nuclear fusion demonstration plant in Oxfordshire.

Canada's General Fusion is one of the leading private firms aiming to turn the promise of fusion into a commercially viable energy source.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57512229