Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709783)

OLD BOY 18-02-2021 14:44

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesometeeth (Post 36070655)
seems ive loaded up the daily mail by mistake :D

you guys are funny, the flip side of the silly coin

You may laugh it off, but wait until these bans extend into areas you think are important or special.

This is how it starts. It needs to be nipped in the bud right now.

Hom3r 18-02-2021 14:57

When I worked in my own office I would listen to radio 4 extra, this would often do play and shows pre 90's, It would often have a warning that the program contains language of the day that some might find offensive.

OFCOM never bothered them.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

What does "WOKE" mean?

Hugh 18-02-2021 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36071135)
When I worked in my own office I would listen to radio 4 extra, this would often do play and shows pre 90's, It would often have a warning that the program contains language of the day that some might find offensive.

OFCOM never bothered them.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

What does "WOKE" mean?

Quote:

Like “politically correct” before it, the word “woke” has come to connote the opposite of what it means. Technically, going by the Merriam-Webster dictionary’s definition, woke means “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)”, but today we are more likely to see it being used as a stick with which to beat people who aspire to such values, often wielded by those who don’t recognise how un-woke they are, or are proud of the fact.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...d-by-the-right

Paul 18-02-2021 18:43

LOL, so not a biased definition at all then.

Hugh 18-02-2021 18:56

Not sure if the Merriam-Webster dictionary has ever been accused of being biased...

How about the Sun, then? :D

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/107602...ng-definition/
Quote:

THE term "woke" has been thrown around as a way to describe someone as aware, but it is also sometimes used as an insult.
Quote:

Woke has more recently been used as a term to criticise identity politics or to reference millennial "snowflake" attitudes.

tweetiepooh 18-02-2021 19:16

Amazing how sleepy the woke crowd get to their "abuses" of speech to those who disagree with them.

OLD BOY 18-02-2021 20:32

The ‘woke’ people are those who exercise their right to be offended on behalf of others, even when those others are not offended.

Mr K 18-02-2021 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071204)
The ‘woke’ people are those who exercise their right to be offended on behalf of others, even when those others are not offended.

I think there's cases where there is genuine offence, times do change.. E.g the classic Dam Busters film. One of the pilots has a black dog named with the N word. Its been changed. I don't see a problem with that, doesn't detract from the film and better than not showing it all. It should be the exception rather than the rule to change things though.

Warnings like TP give about programmes/films reflecting language of the time, seem fair enough to me. Unless there is a genuine major issue of offence like the above example.

As for 'woke'- like 'gammon' its a term designed to provoke a response. Its become a bit boring....

Paul 19-02-2021 03:42

gammon ?

Well I know of gammon steak, I must be missing some other use.

Dude111 19-02-2021 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r
[/COLOR]What does "WOKE" mean?

I believe it means ppl like ME who are awake and aware of whats really going on......

Mr K 19-02-2021 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36071223)
gammon ?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gammon

Stuart 19-02-2021 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesometeeth (Post 36070655)
seems ive loaded up the daily mail by mistake :D

you guys are funny, the flip side of the silly coin

It's a real problem. While it is undoubtedly good that we are fighting prejudice , by focusing on minor things like old TV shows, we are actually giving the extreme right wing a way in to take control. All they have to do is say they are fighting the "woke" culture which is focused on banning all those old films and TV shows we love. They don't just campaign on fighting bans of old TV shows and films, they fight against things like gender neutral toilets, and trans rights, together with the right to pick one's own pronouns, leading to a situation when instead of two, facebook offers 58 genders (https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...facebook-users ), as well as offering a "custom" option.

By pushing minor complaints like old TV shows that, TBH, people had probably forgotten until someone find some old tapes in an archive somewhere and put them on Cable TV, the Left are giving the right a weapon to use against them.

RichardCoulter 19-02-2021 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36071265)
It's a real problem. While it is undoubtedly good that we are fighting prejudice , by focusing on minor things like old TV shows, we are actually giving the extreme right wing a way in to take control. All they have to do is say they are fighting the "woke" culture which is focused on banning all those old films and TV shows we love. They don't just campaign on fighting bans of old TV shows and films, they fight against things like gender neutral toilets, and trans rights, together with the right to pick one's own pronouns, leading to a situation when instead of two, facebook offers 58 genders (https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...facebook-users ), as well as offering a "custom" option.

By pushing minor complaints like old TV shows that, TBH, people had probably forgotten until someone find some old tapes in an archive somewhere and put them on Cable TV, the Left are giving the right a weapon to use against them.

Exactly, it's counterproductive. I know of people who have been vehemently anti racist all their life who these people are now calling racist for the most spurious of reasons.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36071223)
gammon ?

I believe it's meant as an insult to white/pink middle aged & often overweight.men.

Curiously, the woke believers don't class this as being racist. It appears to be fine for (usually white) woke people to insult & criticise white people, but this must never be done to non white people because 'that's racist'.

I was actually told by one that it's racist for a white person to ever criticise a person of colour!!

Hugh 20-02-2021 13:37

Of course you were, Richard...

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36071378)
Of course you were, Richard...

Yes I was, don't make me out to be a liar just because it doesn't suit your woke agenda.