Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1000M : 1gig Rollout getting faster (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709413)

Hugh 23-02-2021 12:11

Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 36071653)
Ahh yes ISDN - It Still Does Nothing.

Strangely enough, it’s what the BBC use for a lot of it’s footie outside broadcasting voice links - they are in the process of replacing the existing 128Kb ISDN links from football stadiums with 5G links - the ISDN links have been in place since the early 80s. The BBC sweats its assets, and doesn’t replace stuff because something "shiny" comes on stream.

ash45 23-02-2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36071713)
Strangely enough, it’s what the BBC use for a lot of it’s footie outside broadcasting voice links - they are in the process of replacing the existing 128Kb ISDN links from football stadiums with 5G links - the ISDN links have been in place since the early 80s. The BBC sweats its assets, and doesn’t replace stuff because something "shiny" comes on stream.

that could be their new motto for the licence fee lol we aint replacing it just coz something shiny has come called streaming lol

Hugh 23-02-2021 16:59

apparently they have plans for something called "BBC iPlayer" coming out soon...

carbon60 23-02-2021 18:20

One of the advantages that ISDN still has is guaranteed bandwidth. You don't want to risk the radio commentary dropping at a crucial moment.

gimpymoo 01-03-2021 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo (Post 36071339)
Currently NOT a VM customer, Is it worth signing up to M500 now and "upgrading" to 1GB at what will surely be a rip off price as I would be "in contract" or wait... till maybe who knows when for the 1GB to be offered in my area (Nottingham) to new customers.

I guess nobody has a rollout plan so to speak to give some idea?

I just know their "existing customer" price will be eye watering.

VM have a monopoly on "fast" fibre, yes, I know they spent the money building the infrastructure and deserve the rewards from that but if they are not careful, the discussion of them allowing access to their network to other providers is going to become louder.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the replys guys.

VM were waiving the £35 activation so I bit the bullet on the "500/600" service for £46 a month.

18 Month contract though :(

Broken Hope 01-03-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo (Post 36071339)
Currently NOT a VM customer, Is it worth signing up to M500 now and "upgrading" to 1GB at what will surely be a rip off price as I would be "in contract" or wait... till maybe who knows when for the 1GB to be offered in my area (Nottingham) to new customers.

I guess nobody has a rollout plan so to speak to give some idea?

I just know their "existing customer" price will be eye watering.

VM have a monopoly on "fast" fibre, yes, I know they spent the money building the infrastructure and deserve the rewards from that but if they are not careful, the discussion of them allowing access to their network to other providers is going to become louder.

Thanks.

I know parts of NG8 are getting city fibre installed, so Virgin won't have the monopoly for long at least in parts of Nottingham.

Looks to be targeting the whole of Nottingham

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityf...ransformation/

£48 for a 900/900 connection seems good.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast

rtho782 01-03-2021 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Hope (Post 36072540)
I know parts of NG8 are getting city fibre installed, so Virgin won't have the monopoly for long at least in parts of Nottingham.

Other providers (e.g. Zen) are doing 900/900 (actually 1000/1000, but ofcom rules) for £40 on CityFibre.

VM want whole UK pricing, so as we've seen in areas with other FTTP providers up to now, they will happily sit buy with their massive prices and lose market share in those areas there is competition, rather than do regional pricing or local discounts or whatever.

For me, VM are a horrible company to deal with in terms of support or customer services, I stand more chance of getting a fault resolved posting about it on these forums and hoping someone that happens to work for VM picks it up in their spare time an deals with it, than I am to get any help from them through official channels. That combined with horrible pricing, with too many "new customer offers" that then expire, forcing you to go through constant negotiations, or termination and resubscription etc, mean that as soon as CF reach me I will be far far away from VM and can't quite conceive of a reason anyone would come to any other decision, other than inertia.

gimpymoo 01-03-2021 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtho782 (Post 36072543)
Other providers (e.g. Zen) are doing 900/900 (actually 1000/1000, but ofcom rules) for £40 on CityFibre.

VM want whole UK pricing, so as we've seen in areas with other FTTP providers up to now, they will happily sit buy with their massive prices and lose market share in those areas there is competition, rather than do regional pricing or local discounts or whatever.

For me, VM are a horrible company to deal with in terms of support or customer services, I stand more chance of getting a fault resolved posting about it on these forums and hoping someone that happens to work for VM picks it up in their spare time an deals with it, than I am to get any help from them through official channels. That combined with horrible pricing, with too many "new customer offers" that then expire, forcing you to go through constant negotiations, or termination and resubscription etc, mean that as soon as CF reach me I will be far far away from VM and can't quite conceive of a reason anyone would come to any other decision, other than inertia.

Fully agree with everything you say.

They need to embrace regional pricing.

I cancelled in Feb after they wanted to increase my £37 350Mb "introductory price" to £57. RIP OFF.

Resigned up when they removed the "activation fee" for a "limited time" and got what will be 600Mb for £46 a month which is fine for me.

I will be happy with that for the 18 months as although they are breaking ground near me, I am not in that area and although BT say FTTP is "coming"... nothing moving on that front anyway so 18 months will be about right I think.

The biggest gripe for me is upload speeds, for a "premium" product, their top tier upload speeds have always been garbage.

rtho782 01-03-2021 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpymoo (Post 36072546)
Fully agree with everything you say.

They need to embrace regional pricing.

I cancelled in Feb after they wanted to increase my £37 350Mb "introductory price" to £57. RIP OFF.

Resigned up when they removed the "activation fee" for a "limited time" and got what will be 600Mb for £46 a month which is fine for me.

I will be happy with that for the 18 months as although they are breaking ground near me, I am not in that area and although BT say FTTP is "coming"... nothing moving on that front anyway so 18 months will be about right I think.

The biggest gripe for me is upload speeds, for a "premium" product, their top tier upload speeds have always been garbage.

Yeah, the price increase this year was just an insult. I was paying £34/m for 350m and a 5GB sim, they wanted to increase by £3.50, so over 10%. In the disagreement over that, they terminated my sim 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to get the number back. I'm also still paying for a SIM I can't use. It is due to go to £55 in April.

Zen offer 1 gig both up and down on Cityfibre for £40 with a lifetime price promise, I'll never have to renegotiate again. Even if VM get Gig1 to me, it will be for over 50% more, with random price rises, and a paltry 55mbit upload.

deakin 02-03-2021 04:50

Just found out today that Hyperoptic has pre-installed the new estate where we are due to move into within the next few months.
So i checked out their website and found i can get 1Gb(900/900) with a unlimited calls to uk landlines for £20.00pm cheaper than i
currently pay from Virgin.But it gets better. Spoke to one of hyperoptic's reps. They waved the activation fee and offered us three
months of free service AND a no price increase guarantee for 12 months.

Sorry Virgin but it's time to part ways. :)

bbxxl 02-03-2021 07:05

It’s alright for people who live in the very limited areas where other companies offer high speed broadband, but for the vast majority of people, Virgin is the only option. Some people can’t even get Virgin.

gimpymoo 02-03-2021 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36072607)
It’s alright for people who live in the very limited areas where other companies offer high speed broadband, but for the vast majority of people, Virgin is the only option. Some people can’t even get Virgin.

That is the problem, they know they are the only player in town regarding "proper" internet in most cases and their prices now seem to be reflecting this.

Seems like Liberty Global are the ones to blame as prior to them coming in, I would suggest VM were far more competitive/aggressive with pricing.

rtho782 02-03-2021 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36072607)

Totally agree, it also causes a complete lack of customer service. They don't care as they think it's unlikely you'll leave with no alternatives.

Honestly for me the CS is worse than the price. If Cityfibre wasn't coming shortly I'd be considering switching to Starlink right now, they are £89 a month but should be 300m by the end of the year.

InsaneNutter 04-03-2021 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Hope (Post 36072540)

"with works projected to be largely completed by December 2025"

You might well be waiting another half decade based on how long the rollout is taking in other areas. Granted I can't wait for them to be live in my local area, just frustrating the street was dug up over a year ago and all we have to show for it is ducting tied to lamp posts and telegraph poles.

I shouldn't complain though, its certainly better than no progress at all! It will be good for Virgin to have some real competition.

Tricky Trevor 05-03-2021 10:56

I will look into that when I'm out of contract