Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Retention Dept gone? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707652)

RichardCoulter 15-05-2019 13:35

Re: Retention Dept gone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35994896)
There are new rules coming in that oblige TV and broadband providers to tell their customers about the 'best deals available'.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...st-deal-rules/

I wonder if this will put an end to haggling? After all, if I get a really good deal that beats what is being advertised as 'the best offer', doesn't the deal you've just done become that best offer?

Frankly, I would prefer such a system being in place which does not encourage haggling. At least you know where you are and you have a fairer system where everyone is treated the same.

This goes totally against your capitalist beliefs though.

jfman 15-05-2019 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35994942)
The problem with that is you get variable answers depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is. Some people just don't know how it works. I'd say users like us who use forums are in the minority of knowing how to play companies.

Any call centre environment will have its staff performing to targets with the aim of minimising discounting, again that’s just how the system works across Virgin, Sky, Vodafone, EE, o2 and anyone else who does it.

When I got rid of SkyQ in favour of Virgin I kept getting call backs that were progressively worse.

I’m not sure we are in a minority - the Martin Lewis website and HotUkDeals websites are both popular and have a ton of information. If someone can afford the product without needing to research or discount then great, but it’s a fundamental contradiction to capitalism to remove differentiated pricing. If we want regulated pricing because the market is so important then it should be in state ownership or have controls on profits.

Mythica 15-05-2019 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35994945)
Any call centre environment will have its staff performing to targets with the aim of minimising discounting, again that’s just how the system works across Virgin, Sky, Vodafone, EE, o2 and anyone else who does it.

When I got rid of SkyQ in favour of Virgin I kept getting call backs that were progressively worse.

I’m not sure we are in a minority - the Martin Lewis website and HotUkDeals websites are both popular and have a ton of information. If someone can afford the product without needing to research or discount then great, but it’s a fundamental contradiction to capitalism to remove differentiated pricing. If we want regulated pricing because the market is so important then it should be in state ownership or have controls on profits.

But you shouldn't get a cheaper price because you phoned at 8:16am and spoke to John when I might phone at 15:30 and speak to Julie

We are in the minority. Speak to the average person on the street and they wont have a clue. I've told countless people about hotukdeals.
It's my personal belief that we shouldn't be paying differently for the same service.

jfman 15-05-2019 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35994951)
But you shouldn't get a cheaper price because you phoned at 8:16am and spoke to John when I might phone at 15:30 and speak to Julie

We are in the minority. Speak to the average person on the street and they wont have a clue. I've told countless people about hotukdeals.
It's my personal belief that we shouldn't be paying differently for the same service.

I’m inclined to agree that at first it appears unfair, but why should you lose out if I, or anyone else, aren’t as assertive or persistent? If it’s not worth the price offered take your custom elsewhere.

Mythica 15-05-2019 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35994953)
I’m inclined to agree that at first it appears unfair, but why should you lose out if I, or anyone else, aren’t as assertive or persistent? If it’s not worth the price offered take your custom elsewhere.

The whole point is no one should lose out. It should be a standard price for everyone. Why should you have to be persistent to get the same price offered to someone else just because you spoke to someone else.

jfman 15-05-2019 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35994959)
The whole point is no one should lose out. It should be a standard price for everyone. Why should you have to be persistent to get the same price offered to someone else just because you spoke to someone else.

That’s the free market though. If you don’t provide me what I want, at a price I’m willing to pay, I’ll take my money elsewhere.

It makes sense to discount to maximise revenue across the potential customer base. If there were fewer customers then the fixed costs would be absorbed across a lower customer base and everyone loses out.

Raider999 15-05-2019 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35994959)

Totally agree.

New customers should actually pay more to cover the costs of advertising!

Existing customers should get the best deal, then there would be little point in advertising saving companies a fortune.

jfman 15-05-2019 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35994964)
Totally agree.

New customers should actually pay more to cover the costs of advertising!

Existing customers should get the best deal, then there would be little point in advertising saving companies a fortune.

If that actually held true don’t you think these profit chasing companies would do that?

OLD BOY 15-05-2019 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35994943)
This goes totally against your capitalist beliefs though.

Capitalism is best where there is light regulation to ensure fairness.

I don't think encouraging bullying behaviour by those who think they can just break through all the rules to get what they want while the more polite of us get a worse deal because they weren't prepared to be pushy and rude.

I used to think that you were all for fairness and equality, Richard.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35994953)

Assertive/persistent or discourteous/rude and pushy?

These are not traits I want to see encouraged in British society. I agree with Mythica. It is not right that some should be paying less for getting the same service.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35994963)
That’s the free market though. If you don’t provide me what I want, at a price I’m willing to pay, I’ll take my money elsewhere.

It makes sense to discount to maximise revenue across the potential customer base. If there were fewer customers then the fixed costs would be absorbed across a lower customer base and everyone loses out.

Your first paragraph I agree with. But to get more customers and retain custom, the same rules should apply to everybody.

It is your right to go steaming off to another company, but you wouldn't do that if they applied the same rules of fairness to everyone, unless they were actually a better proposition for everyone with the same needs who could also get that service for the same price as you.

jfman 15-05-2019 20:21

The range of choices available varies from postcode to postcode though, so if Virgin have data that indicates I’m less likely to leave (for example due to inferior broadband alternatives) why should they pull out all the stops as with someone that has a genuine ultra fast alternative?

The same rules cannot apply to everyone, or very quickly it becomes a check box. Would you like a discount of 20%? Call this number.

There’s no such thing as rude and pushy if someone insists they are going to take their custom elsewhere that’s a fundamental right under capitalism. Driving a hard bargain is business for companies, why not consumers?

Capitalism is awful where there’s little/no regulation, however I’m perplexed at why you’d want to regulate straightforward consumer transactions such as these. Might as well go the whole hog.

OLD BOY 15-05-2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35995010)
The range of choices available varies from postcode to postcode though, so if Virgin have data that indicates I’m less likely to leave (for example due to inferior broadband alternatives) why should they pull out all the stops as with someone that has a genuine ultra fast alternative?

The same rules cannot apply to everyone, or very quickly it becomes a check box. Would you like a discount of 20%? Call this number.

There’s no such thing as rude and pushy if someone insists they are going to take their custom elsewhere that’s a fundamental right under capitalism. Driving a hard bargain is business for companies, why not consumers?

Capitalism is awful where there’s little/no regulation, however I’m perplexed at why you’d want to regulate straightforward consumer transactions such as these. Might as well go the whole hog.

The offer is the offer. Do you get to haggle on your council tax payments? Of course not. It isn't necessary. The cost is the cost. If it reduces, it reduces for everybody.

jfman 15-05-2019 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35995020)
The offer is the offer. Do you get to haggle on your council tax payments? Of course not. It isn't necessary. The cost is the cost. If it reduces, it reduces for everybody.

My council is the sole supplier of its services - there isn’t a private sector alternative. That’s literally a state provided service.

Should we tell supermarkets to regulate their prices and end special offers? After all why should I pay a price today if I didn’t know an item would be on offer tomorrow? Or it was on offer last week?

muppetman11 15-05-2019 20:51

I always ring at contract end when price goes to full.

I would never pay full and will happily switch supplier if retentions can't do anything for me.

Angua 16-05-2019 07:03

Boils down to companies being greedy, using lazy and vulnerable customers who do not haggle, to offer enticements to new customers.

Unfortunately, it is the vulnerable who are financially exploited in the process.

OLD BOY 16-05-2019 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35995021)
My council is the sole supplier of its services - there isn’t a private sector alternative. That’s literally a state provided service.

Should we tell supermarkets to regulate their prices and end special offers? After all why should I pay a price today if I didn’t know an item would be on offer tomorrow? Or it was on offer last week?

Your analogy does not justify your argument. If there are special offers on at the supermarket, the nature of those offers is displayed and apply to everyone at that time. That does not involve haggling and is fairly applied.