Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : SH3 conundrum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706922)

JPAC 09-10-2018 21:06

SH3 conundrum

Updated the VM connect app and it would only really work properly with a SH3. The app says I am entitled to a free SH3 and I would like to be part of the general VM WiFi availability, however this forum has given it a bad name. Comments appreciated.

SnoopZ 09-10-2018 23:31

Re: SH3 conundrum

No issues for me in gaming or with WiFi and depending on your future internet speed you have to have a Hub3.

I would get the Hub3 see how you get on with it in router mode then you can put it in modem mode and buy your own router if it isn't good enough for you.

Sephiroth 10-10-2018 07:12

The Hub 3 is now fine. It only took 2 years to get to this stage!

JPAC 10-10-2018 08:15

2 Attachment(s)
OK good to know. Had to uninstall VM Connect app, keeps stopping - crashing. Can only link to SH3. Gone back to the previous version, thanks both.

SirThomas 10-10-2018 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35965911)

Surely the issue will always remain if the chip was overloaded? (The multiple-hundred-page VM thread is a bit long to catch up on!) :D

Those gorgeous 300ms spikes to the local LAN were fun. Can't imagine they were fixable?

Tom

Gobble 10-10-2018 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirThomas (Post 35965929)
Surely the issue will always remain if the chip was overloaded? (The multiple-hundred-page VM thread is a bit long to catch up on!) :D

Those gorgeous 300ms spikes to the local LAN were fun. Can't imagine they were fixable?

Tom

Yep, they were fixed.

Sephiroth 10-10-2018 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35965940)
Yep, they were fixed.

... much to my surprise as per Tom's remark.

Gobble 10-10-2018 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35965966)
... much to my surprise as per Tom's remark.

I'll be honest, I didn't think it was ever going to happen and given the amount of time and messing about moving things between CPU and PP (and everything in-between), I don't think they thought they would fix it either!

SirThomas 10-10-2018 13:43

Apparently they're sending me out (another) Hub3 for upgraded BB - I'll plug mine in and see what differences there are. Can't hurt.

Do we know if Hubs update without an active service plan?

Tom

BenMcr 10-10-2018 13:59

You shouldn't be sent a new Hub 3 if you have one that works - there is only one model.

JPAC 10-10-2018 14:25

Just to add when I tried to order a Hub 3 at no extra cost, the links don't work via the app. Calling 150, they said there was a £25 delivery and activation fee, hence I won't be getting a Hub 3.

SirThomas 10-10-2018 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35966006)
You shouldn't be sent a new Hub 3 if you have one that works - there is only one model.

Oh absolutely - I had a Hub3 previously sent to me, but put my trusty 2ac back into action!

Just curious if they auto-update without activation, as it'd be good to see if the improvements are indeed helpful (GUI, LAN latency etc..)

Tom

SirThomas 11-10-2018 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35965911)

Completely agree! Installed and tested mine out today...
A bit for you, should it help JPAC;

*Local LAN latency IS NOW FIXED, so that's a biggie.
*The GUI is perfectly usable and a world apart from the old release. That was like moving through treacle.
*Passwords still in plain text and require daft characters.
*2.4>5GHz passover is still flawed, but tbh that's no huge problem anyways.
*Port forwarding used to be a pain and not work - Yet to test this and I'll edit when I do.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my new one is of a differing hardware release, as the build quality and is totally different.

>In short and for normal usage purposes I would go for it.
It now passes my seal of approval. It certainly didn't before.

Only thing I'd love, is the ability to use custom DNS - But completely understandable why it isn't.

Tom

JPAC 11-10-2018 23:49

Thanks for the info SirThomas. Interesting comment over on the VM forum; "with self install vm often send reconditioned routers, whereas the engineers are more likely to have a new device. So in my opinion much better spending 40 on a new device which works than 25 on a second hand self install which may or may not work."

Maybe it's a case of 'if it's not broken don't fix it.'

alanbjames 12-10-2018 00:09

Ben actually there r 2 models, Black and White lol.

I know they are identical internally but externally they are not.