Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM General News Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703061)

BenMcr 21-11-2016 14:06

Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

It's not an issue.

The older TiVo's built in connection doesn't go fast enough to need D3.1, and as already been discussed elsewhere the V6 doesn't have it's own modem, but connects to the Virgin Media Hub.

Kushan 21-11-2016 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35870891)
It's not an issue.

The older TiVo's built in connection doesn't go fast enough to need D3.1, and as already been discussed elsewhere the V6 doesn't have it's own modem, but connects to the Virgin Media Hub.

Is there anything in place to prevent the new TiVo's from taking bandwidth from your connection? Or is that tough tittie?

One of the big selling points of the Tivo was that dedicated modem not interfering with your broadband.

BenMcr 21-11-2016 15:23

No comment on that at the moment.

denphone 21-11-2016 15:42

For a little while longer.;)

Horizon 22-11-2016 20:04

Nice little interview Malone gave yesterday about how he sees the future of cable and mobile companies, which is basically what I've said here 18 months ago!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/john-...nsolidate.html

Skie 22-11-2016 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35870909)
One of the big selling points of the Tivo was that dedicated modem not interfering with your broadband.

It was a selling point but in practice the VOD experience on the Tivo has been pretty terrible.

Lately I've even been seeing a message claiming my internet isnt connected (complete with a picture of a dog pulling a cable from the tv) so there is obviously something a bit broke. VM must think so too if they are moving in a different direction with the V6

Kushan 22-11-2016 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35871174)
It was a selling point but in practice the VOD experience on the Tivo has been pretty terrible.

Lately I've even been seeing a message claiming my internet isnt connected (complete with a picture of a dog pulling a cable from the tv) so there is obviously something a bit broke. VM must think so too if they are moving in a different direction with the V6

It's not just the VoD experience, I hate the TiVo. It's so bloody slow at everything it does. I mean it's still better than the old V+ boxes, but it's absolutely frustrating to use. When you click a wrong menu item and have to wait literally 10 seconds for it to catch up, just so you can go back.....

And for what? The "Graphically rich" UI isn't even that usable. The V6 better be nippy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35871131)
Nice little interview Malone gave yesterday about how he sees the future of cable and mobile companies, which is basically what I've said here 18 months ago!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/john-...nsolidate.html

So basically expect LibGlob to merge with a mobile network at some point.

Well it won't be the current Virgin MVNO as BT just bought them. Rumours of Vodafone merging have been going on for years, but Telefonica (O2) needs money fast so there's plenty of possibilities really.

He's not wrong, it makes a lot of sense to combine the efforts. I believe Virgin actually supplies a lot of backhaul for the various mobile networks, so it's a no brainer.

1andrew1 22-11-2016 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35871176)

Well it won't be the current Virgin MVNO as BT just bought them. Rumours of Vodafone merging have been going on for years, but Telefonica (O2) needs money fast so there's plenty of possibilities really.

He's not wrong, it makes a lot of sense to combine the efforts. I believe Virgin actually supplies a lot of backhaul for the various mobile networks, so it's a no brainer.

I guess in Europe the main providers of pay-TV and broadband comes down to:
- a satellite TV company eg Sky, Canal Plus
- a cable company often part of LGI
- the incumbent fixed line operator sometimes part-owned by Deutsche Telekom

How do these map to the various networks owned by Vodafone, 3-Hutchison, Telefonica-O2 plus a host of smaller companies like Telia, Tele2 and America Movil? No one knows at this stage but everyone speculates. :)

Horizon 22-11-2016 23:25

Quote:

(snip)

Don't forget "his" American companies too, which is mainly what he was referring to.

Kushan 23-11-2016 09:31

Yup, no doubt it'll be a series of mergers rather than one big one. It's only a matter of time before more EU networks start merging with each other, too.

MrIca 24-11-2016 09:19

Quote:

It's not just the VoD experience, I hate the TiVo. It's so bloody slow at everything it does. I mean it's still better than the old V+ boxes, but it's absolutely frustrating to use. When you click a wrong menu item and have to wait literally 10 seconds for it to catch up, just so you can go back.....

And for what? The "Graphically rich" UI isn't even that usable. The V6 better be nippy.

When did BT but Virgin Mobile? That's news to me.

I'm not sure Virgin supply backhaul for "various" mobile networks. I don't think EE or Three ever used them and EE certainly wouldn't now as they're part of BT Group.

They definitely provide backhaul for Vodafone though.

BenMcr 24-11-2016 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35871417)

BT bought EE which Virgin Mobile currently use to run their network.

Pierre 24-11-2016 11:29

Quote:

I'm not sure Virgin supply backhaul for "various" mobile networks. I don't think EE or Three ever used them and EE certainly wouldn't now as they're part of BT Group.

They provide for the fibre network for MBNL

and MBNL provides the backhaul

http://mbnl.co.uk/

Quote:

Actually no they don't

They did, a long time ago, and they still provide circuits here and there around the country. But Vodafone have their own massive Fibre Network courtesy of C&W.

Kushan 24-11-2016 19:02

Quote:

I feel like I've flipped your whole world upside down now :P

Media Boy UK 28-12-2016 14:23

Patrick Drahi’s Altice Sells SFR BeLux to Telenet, Owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

Patrick Drahi’s Netherlands-based Altice Group, parent of Altice USA and SFR, France’s No. 2 telecoms operator, has agreed to sell its businesses in Belgium and Luxembourg to the Telenet Group, owned by John Malone’s Liberty Global.

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/...et-1201947543/