Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM General News Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703061)

1andrew1 18-03-2017 10:30

Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35890563)
Coming from someone in the industry... I dont see how this deal works. Its been talked up by media sources that don't understand how these companies operate. The VF spectrum is of little use at its current value to LG when other operators like O2 offer a much better return of investment for mobile spectrum. VF has a single asset that LG/VM could utilise while farming off the other elements of their fixed line networks, there is no strategic benefit to a merger/buyout from LG's perspective IMO.

The talks and rumours of talks have boosted share price, that may be as much action as you see from this deal.

I don't have a view if it will happen or not but surely the question is not just about the UK but about the world? Vodafone has a great cable TV network in Spain, for example, that could share technology and content purchasing with LGI's cable businesses in the UK and Europe.
Does Vodafone's pausing its UK TV business indicate anything on the merger front or not? I think someone here - maybe Stephen - had suggested that it was cancelled at the last minute after extensive testing.

weesteev 18-03-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890565)
I don't have a view if it will happen or not but surely the question is not just about the UK but about the world? Vodafone has a great cable TV network in Spain, for example, that could share technology and content purchasing with LGI's cable businesses in the UK and Europe.
Does Vodafone's pausing its UK TV business indicate anything on the merger front or not? I think someone here - maybe Stephen - had suggested that it was cancelled at the last minute after extensive testing.

Vodafone UK has nothing to do with any other Vodafone entity around the world. They all operate as different companies, the discussions in the media relate only to the UK Vodafone operation.

Travelstar 18-03-2017 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35890632)
Vodafone UK has nothing to do with any other Vodafone entity around the world. They all operate as different companies, the discussions in the media relate only to the UK Vodafone operation.

I'm sorry but that simply is not true. VF does actually roll out common overarching strategies and technologies across countries. If what you were suggesting was really happening, I doubt quite a number of my colleagues would be working over at VF now. :)

Pierre 18-03-2017 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35890632)

I don't think that's quite true, they do operate as separate companies but are also run as one.

Much in the same way LG is one company but VM, Telenet, ziggo are individual identities.

weesteev 18-03-2017 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35890634)
I'm sorry but that simply is not true. VF does actually roll out common overarching strategies and technologies across countries. If what you were suggesting was really happening, I doubt quite a number of my colleagues would be working over at VF now. :)

What has a common strategy got to do with what the proposed merger is being referred as? This is solely the UK operation and has no bearing upon the other operations around the world :p:

Travelstar 18-03-2017 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35890645)
What has a common strategy got to do with what the proposed merger is being referred as? This is solely the UK operation and has no bearing upon the other operations around the world :p:

Nothing, but you made a comment about the way that VF operate which is factually incorrect. VF is much more integrated than you think. The new bits are not yet, but the rest of the organisation does try to operate as a group to achieve synergies and savings.

1andrew1 18-03-2017 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35890645)

The original discussions were about a full-blown merger between the two companies globally. There is nothing in the public domain to indicate that this has changed, but I'm all ears to any insider titbits if you have any!

weesteev 19-03-2017 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890668)
The original discussions were about a full-blown merger between the two companies globally. There is nothing in the public domain to indicate that this has changed, but I'm all ears to any insider titbits if you have any!

Couldn't possibly comment ;)

Gavin-D 20-03-2017 15:43

Any price rises in the pipeline from VM? with both BT and Sky increasing prices in the coming weeks VM can't be far behind following on from Novembers rise?

Kushan 21-03-2017 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35890890)
Any price rises in the pipeline from VM?

Always.

denphone 29-03-2017 11:30

Virgin Media suspend four workers over delayed roll-out of £3bn ultra-fast broadband

: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...#ixzz4ci3a5iOC

heero_yuy 29-03-2017 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35892181)
Virgin Media suspend four workers over delayed roll-out of £3bn ultra-fast broadband

: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...#ixzz4ci3a5iOC

I hope this was management positions rather than engineers at the sharp end.

Kushan 29-03-2017 14:01

From other articles I've read, it's definitely management types who have apparently fudged some numbers.

denphone 29-03-2017 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35892202)
I hope this was management positions rather than engineers at the sharp end.

l suspect other companies are probably up to the same tricks heero.

blowmyfibre 29-03-2017 16:41

releasing homes that don't even have a node built or ducts in the ground hahaha top class.