Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is 6mm MDF board suitable to put under sofa cushions (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706381)

SnoopZ 15-05-2018 17:56

Is 6mm MDF board suitable to put under sofa cushions

Anyone into carpentry here?

I have 2 really sagging sofas and don't wish to spend the money to buy new ones.

My plan is to cut some 6mm MDF board to size and put it under the cushions, i have tried it with a piece of plywood i had lying around, even though it works it isn't strong enough so had cracked with just a little bit of flexing.

Would 6mm MDF board be suitable for the job in hand, would it flex without cracking or is there a cheap better alternative?

I couldn't find a suitable subforum for what i was asking, can we have a subforum for random posts like this?

pip08456 15-05-2018 18:06

Re: is 6mm MDF board suitable to put under sofa cushions

Depends on the weight being applied. MDF is stronger than plywood but they both have their limitations. More weight = thicker board.

SnoopZ 15-05-2018 18:35

Yes that is why i was asking if someone knew here, i mean i would say normal adult weight is the intended use in this house, maybe i should go up to 9mm thick to be safe though.

Hom3r 15-05-2018 18:46

You can buy slats that are designed to do this.

I personally wouldn't use MDF, go for something like plywood.

SnoopZ 15-05-2018 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35946889)
You can buy slats that are designed to do this.

I personally wouldn't use MDF, go for something like plywood.

Plywood is what i have already tried and it isnt strong enough unfortunately, it didn't take much flexing for it to crack and MDF is meant to be stronger i think.

I have seen sofa savers on ebay made from strips of MDF but because of the way my sofa is sagging under the cushions i think it is better i get a piece that fits more snugly.

Hom3r 15-05-2018 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35946890)
Plywood is what i have already tried and it isnt strong enough unfortunately, it didn't take much flexing for it to crack and MDF is meant to be stronger i think.

I have seen sofa savers on ebay made from strips of MDF but because of the way my sofa is sagging under the cushions i think it is better i get a piece that fits more snugly.

Surely DFS have a sale on :D

Taf 15-05-2018 20:17

Cutting or abrading MDF is risky due to the fumes. In this case thickness would be dictated by the weight to be applied, and I reckon 6mm wouldn't hold up a toddler for long. 20mm would be a minimum for an armchair, but a double or triple sofa width would see it sag and you'd all end up in the middle. I rewebbed a sofa once, and it performed perfectly to the day it was binned many years later. All you need are scissors and a good heavy duty stapler.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Sizes-J...YVDVbMzxTmmkpg

SnoopZ 15-05-2018 22:20

20mm would hold anything in an arm chair.

On my 2 seater sofas it will have support along the 1m front edge and the depth is about 50cm which will have support a little at the back, thinking I will look at 9mm of something stronger than plywood now.

Thanks for all the input.

5TRAF 12-02-2020 10:59

I'd say it's suitable, but in the long run I'd recommend getting some new foam sofa cushions. They'll be less likely to sag.

pip08456 12-02-2020 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5TRAF (Post 36024693)
I'd say it's suitable, but in the long run I'd recommend getting some new foam sofa cushions. They'll be less likely to sag.

It's not the cushions that are sagging.

SnoopZ 12-02-2020 11:23

Ended up getting new sofas.