Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   General : TV Show Snippets & General Information (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13018)

punky 04-03-2009 13:26

Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Snippets

The new series of Reaper has now started for those with access to US TV episodes :)

cimt 04-03-2009 13:56

I'm so glad it's back, it feels like it had been off for ever! Same with Ashes to Ashes.

I liked the first episode.

dilli-theclaw 24-03-2009 20:37

Tripods film still in development good :)

Beanpole a girl? HHHmmm we shall see.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a15...ovie-news.html

Chris 24-03-2009 23:33

S/he would have to be, really ... The White Mountains is a bit of a boys' own adventure. The only significant female character only lasts a couple of chapters before coming to a sticky end. A modern family blockbuster would need there to be a strong leading young female alongside the boys. So it's either invent a fourth character to join them, or else change one of the three.

Anyway, look on the bright side, they might cast Clemence Poesy.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/9.jpg

:D

homealone 25-03-2009 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34761679)
S/he would have to be, really ... The White Mountains is a bit of a boys' own adventure. The only significant female character only lasts a couple of chapters before coming to a sticky end. A modern family blockbuster would need there to be a strong leading young female alongside the boys. So it's either invent a fourth character to join them, or else change one of the three.

much too skinny ;)

Chris 25-03-2009 08:56

As skinny as a beanpole? ;)

dilli-theclaw 25-03-2009 15:56

My dvd arrive today so - um speak to you all later lol :)

Hugh 27-03-2009 15:33

This is quite strange - rabbits vs camels in Iraqistaniland; Watership Down with heavy calibre weaponry.....

Linky

cimt 27-03-2009 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34763616)
This is quite strange - rabbits vs camels in Iraqistaniland; Watership Down with heavy calibre weaponry.....

Linky

Wow, well that should be fun to watch!

Stephen 28-03-2009 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverwar (Post 34763616)

Linky

That looks amazing!!:sniper:

dilli-theclaw 29-03-2009 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34761679)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/9.jpg

not my type at all ;)

Incidentally the 'love interest' was going to be rescued and returned home in the third series on tv, yet another divergance.

Chris 30-03-2009 11:51

Well, yes, they would have to really, seeing as in the TV version Eloise's life is 'merely suspended', whereas in the book she and the other specimens are dead and on display like a case of butterflies. Far more chilling and sci fi but prolly not what the BBC wanted for Saturday teatime...

dilli-theclaw 30-03-2009 11:59

Well, with luck, they won't mess up any film like they so oviously have the new Star Trek film. But I suspect that's a pretty faint hope.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34765339)
Well, yes, they would have to really, seeing as in the TV version Eloise's life is 'merely suspended', whereas in the book she and the other specimens are dead and on display like a case of butterflies. Far more chilling and sci fi but prolly not what the BBC wanted for Saturday teatime...

I'm not sure why they'd 'have to'. They didn't seem to have any problems with changing the books in other areas to. Adding Black Guards - expanding the whole chateux thing, shortening the time left before the ship arrived that kind of thing.

Still, I guess it was all designed to make it more 'interesting'.

At least they didn't make the prequel - now THAT would have been bad :)

Chris 30-03-2009 13:11

Heh ... The Day The Tripods Came, or When the Tripods Came, or something? Talk about cashing in. I read that while I was at school. You're right, it was a bit poor. It had more holes in it than a colander.

As to why the Beeb would 'have to' have Eloise being rescued at the end of any third series, I only meant they would have to in order to be internally consistent with their own version of the story, seeing as she was seen in The City of Gold and Will's Master explicitly stated that she wasn't dead.

I can see why the BBC changed things around. The City of Gold and Lead, as written, is pretty bleak and alien and would have cost a king's ransom to film. The series was expensive as it was - it would probably have become prohibitively so if they had had to construct alien backdrops for every single scene inside the city. As it was, they were able to get away with some location filming and easily-constructed sets that could have been alien, but then could have been anywhere else as well. It would also have been pretty difficult to keep up the pace and the tension if virtually the whole thing had been performed with the actors inside helmets, which would have been necessary if they had stuck closely to the book.

As for the Black Guards, well they conveniently keep up the pressure on the heroes without the need for too many costly FX shots of the Tripods.

Mind you, some of the changes were gratuitous nonsense. The Cognosc, for example, completely shatters the whole premise. Nice one, whoever dreamed that up. Not.

Paul 05-04-2009 23:04

Those who liked the series "Dead Like Me" may have missed the movie released in February (called Dead Like Me: Life After Death) - Like the Stargate movies, it seems it went straight to DVD.