Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Resume playing problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707145)

cheekyangus 09-12-2018 14:11

Resume playing problem

In recent weeks the resume playing function on the V6 has been increasingly unreliable. I'm wondering if the last update messed it up.

Basically pressing stop and going back to watch it later the recording starts at the beginning. You can tell there is a problem before as the menu says play instead of resume.

And it's happening an extremely noticeable percentage of the time.

cheekyangus 09-12-2018 19:47

Re: Resume playing problem

Anyone else finding this?

Hugh 09-12-2018 19:50

Not noticed here (NW Leeds)

Taf 09-12-2018 20:35

I have returned to watch the end of shows several days later and not had any problems (Cardiff).

cheekyangus 09-12-2018 20:43

I'm wondering if length of recording is a factor. This increase seems to happen mainly in film-length things. Though given any recordings under an hour tend to be watched in one sitting it doesn't give much opportunity to occur.

Raider999 09-12-2018 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35974431)
I'm wondering if length of recording is a factor. This increase seems to happen mainly in film-length things. Though given any recordings under an hour tend to be watched in one sitting it doesn't give much opportunity to occur.

Watched a number of recordings of 2-3 hours length, mostly not in one go - no problems with resume for me

Mr K 09-12-2018 21:34

Switch it off and on again. Never fails.

cheekyangus 10-12-2018 10:33

It is rather weird I'll admit. I can't purposely replicate it. It isn't happening when I have the remote but I was in the room, it isn't just a story. They are experienced in using Tivo/V6 and they aren't doing anything unusual, just pressing stop and expecting a different result.

And another indication that it isn't going to work is that it often (but I can't for definite say every time) doesn't go back to the programme info screen but instead brings up the Keep or Delete menu even though the recording is only quarter or halfway through, and then you say Keep then sometimes it goes back to the programme menu but says play instead of resume, and the other times it goes straight back to live TV.

And I have rebooted but it doesn't fix it.

spiderplant 10-12-2018 10:42

The "Keep or Delete" menu should only appear if you stop the playback in the last 5 minutes of the recording, and in this case the bookmark resets so that you don't get the Resume option. So it seems it thinks you are in the last 5 minutes. It's not a fault I've heard of before.

cheekyangus 10-12-2018 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35974498)
The "Keep or Delete" menu should only appear if you stop the playback in the last 5 minutes of the recording, and in this case the bookmark resets so that you don't get the Resume option. So it seems it thinks you are in the last 5 minutes. It's not a fault I've heard of before.

That's what I normally expect.

I'm curious, if you fast forward to the end the first time you play it to check the ending is there, then rewind to the beginning and start watching, in that scenario what is the expected outcome?

Given we've been doing this for years it should still resume properly, but maybe something has changed in the software.

spiderplant 10-12-2018 12:24

Ooh, I don't know. Obscure use case :)

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

I've just tested it but I can't find any problems. It gives the resume option provided I didn't stop in the last 5 minutes, regardless of what I did before.

cheekyangus 10-12-2018 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35974513)
Ooh, I don't know. Obscure use case :)

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

I've just tested it but I can't find any problems. It gives the resume option provided I didn't stop in the last 5 minutes, regardless of what I did before.

You know what will happen now? It'll stop doing it! :p:

The only other thing I can thing of is they are pressing two buttons on the remote at once and not realising it. I've asked them immediately after I've watched them do it from across the room and the way they describe what they just did is the proper way, so the only possibility is surely they don't know they are hitting another button simultaneously.

oliver1948uk 10-12-2018 14:21

Or are they going straight from the recording to live TV without stopping the recording first?

spiderplant 10-12-2018 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35974576)
Or are they going straight from the recording to live TV without stopping the recording first?

That still saves the position for me