Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Good Food closure confirmed. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708130)

cheekyangus 05-09-2019 13:08

Good Food closure confirmed.

Discovery has confirmed closure of Good Food and the transfer of shows to Food Network UK. https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/09/good...e-content.html

Roll on the speculation about the space use, assuming it's not abandoned to make cost savings.

denphone 05-09-2019 13:12

Re: Good Food closure confirmed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008924)
Discovery has confirmed closure of Good Food and the transfer of shows to Food Network UK. https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/09/good...e-content.html

Roll on the speculation about the space use, assuming it's not abandoned to make cost savings.

Whether it leads to less repeats l suspect is highly unlikely.

SonicMaster 05-09-2019 18:15

I wonder whether Discovery will have a mini rejig of their channels and reuse the former Good Food capacity and EPG slots.

Something like:

278 Good Food > Food Network
279 Good Food HD > Food Network HD (new)
280 Good Food +1 > Food Network +1 (new)

291 Food Network > Travel Channel
292 Travel Channel > Travel Channel +1 (new)

That way Virgin Media would lose 3 channels but gain 3 others.

cheekyangus 05-09-2019 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36008959)
I wonder whether Discovery will have a mini rejig of their channels and reuse the former Good Food capacity and EPG slots.

Something like:

I wondered that on the Coming Soon thread the other day, but your neat layout is much more pleasing on the eye SonicMaster. :)

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

They are just a likely to move Home as Travel Channel though, as Home as being rebranded/relaunched as HGTV at some point.

OLD BOY 05-09-2019 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008965)
I wondered that on the Coming Soon thread the other day, but your neat layout is much more pleasing on the eye SonicMaster. :)

They are just a likely to move Home as Travel Channel though, as Home as being rebranded/relaunched as HGTV at some point.

In HD, hopefully..

cheekyangus 05-09-2019 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36008967)
In HD, hopefully..

Or HG... :D

*Gets coat and runs*

tweetiepooh 06-09-2019 09:44

Shame, Good Food tended to have more UK food repeats than all the US stuff where they don't know what ingredients should be called, don't know about gas mark and think that half a cow is the right portion size for one person.

SonicMaster 07-09-2019 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008965)

Where would they move Home to though? It's already on 281 and 282 (+1).

cheekyangus 07-09-2019 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36009205)
Where would they move Home to though? It's already on 281 and 282 (+1).

Just to 278. Because they are probably wanting it to be as prominent as possible after going to the effort and expense of rebranding.

I doubt it's worth the effort for 3 places up.

I'd be tempted if I was them to demote all their +1s further down the Factual category and move all the main versions up within the category.

i.e. 252, 258, 260, 263 would all be freed up and moved down the EPG and 4 out of 5 out of Home, Food Network, Home&Health, Travel Channel and Discovery Shed would take their positions.

I suspect given Shed's position in Sky EPG and that it wasn't moved in latest Discovery number shuffle that the other 4 would be given priority.

With this suggested rearrangement Discovery would make 4 channels more prominent. +1s are useful but get much lower ratings than their main equivalents, better to benefit their wider portfolio than shore up a select few, especially as catch-up on-demand is taking some of the viewers away from the +1s

Media Boy UK 08-09-2019 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008924)

Why "cost savings" when Discovery got Good Food, Home, Really and a reported £173m from BBC Studios?

https://tbivision.com/2019/06/12/ukt...entertainment/

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36008959)

Something like:

Channels moving to new channel numbers will not happen until Discovery signs an new deal with Virgin Media.

We think Channels 278 to 282 are own by UKTV as part of the 2018 deal.

We think Discovery Shed, Quest Red and Travel Channel will all be axe soon by Discovery in the UK and Ireland.

cheekyangus 08-09-2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36009403)
Why "cost savings" when Discovery got Good Food, Home, Really and a reported £173m from BBC Studios?

https://tbivision.com/2019/06/12/ukt...entertainment/

Because it still costs money to run a channel. Money would be saved by having one less channel to run.

HD and +1 are versions of the same channel, I'm not counting them as separate when I say one less. Though obviously more money will saved by closing versions of the same channel too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36009403)

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Channels moving to new channel numbers will not happen until Discovery signs an new deal with Virgin Media.

We think Channels 278 to 282 are own by UKTV as part of the 2018 deal.

We think Discovery Shed, Quest Red and Travel Channel will all be axe soon by Discovery in the UK and Ireland.

I agree with Discovery Shed. It didn't move during the Discovery channel number shuffle-up that happened recently on Sky EPG and it's right at the bottom of the General Entertainment section next to the newly moved Good Food.

Travel Channel moved up though, so I suspect they will keep it, possibly give it a revamp...though hopefully not the same one the US version got, it's called TRVL now I believe.

Media Boy UK 08-09-2019 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009414)
Travel Channel moved up though, so I suspect they will keep it, possibly give it a revamp...though hopefully not the same one the US version got, it's called TRVL now I believe.

We only think that Travel Channel is possibly for the axe is due to all Alaska shows moving to DMAX and Salvage Dawgs has been moved to Quest.

cheekyangus 08-09-2019 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36009416)
We only think that Travel Channel is possibly for the axe is due to all Alaska shows moving to DMAX and Salvage Dawgs has been moved to Quest.

Maybe they are making Travel Channel about travel again? It's not really been showing proper travel programming for a year or two.

denphone 08-09-2019 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009419)
Maybe they are making Travel Channel about travel again? It's not really been showing proper travel programming for a year or two.

They seem to have all sorts on there.

Media Boy UK 08-09-2019 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009419)

All Alaska shows was only moved when DMAX did launch on Freeview.

The 1990's vision of Travel Channel was good they did Tellyshopping like Gems TV and SOLD Holidays.