Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710629)

Julian 01-12-2021 16:28

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36103713)
Macron shares some significant blame for that. I wonder if there is any finger pointing going on in the western EU.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

The BBC News website has this story:

Seems the class of customer is what is driving this wilful disregard for the law. In Waitrose today, everyone was wearing a mask.

Just out of interest were there staff on the door in Waitrose?

nffc 01-12-2021 16:34

Quote:

Seems the class of customer is what is driving this wilful disregard for the law. In Waitrose today, everyone was wearing a mask.

The thing is, since it's actually illegal to challenge someone why they aren't wearing one (because of the rules around mask exceptions) then one actually doesn't know, if someone isn't wearing a mask, whether they are actually exempt because of a medical reason or another reason (doesn't always have to be an illness), or if they are just identifying exempt to avoid wearing one, or if they're simply being a ********.

I wouldn't consider it any of my business to know either.

Sephiroth 01-12-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36103733)
Just out of interest were there staff on the door in Waitrose?

At Waitrose Wokingham, there was no door control.

A few months ago, though, when I'd mislaid my mask between house and Wokingham, the door guard had a stash in the trolley in front of him.

The good burgers of Wokingham are not just in the meat counter, perhaps.

pip08456 01-12-2021 16:55

Quote:

Macron shares some significant blame for that. I wonder if there is any finger pointing going on in the western EU.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

The BBC News website has this story:

Seems to me that particular class bore the brunt of lockdowns, mask mandates etc and didn't have jobs allowing them to WFH. A sizeable amount helped keep critical retail businesses and supply chains running for those Waitrose customers.
Perhaps they have had enough.

Pierre 01-12-2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nffc (Post 36103738)
The thing is, since it's actually illegal to challenge someone why they aren't wearing one (because of the rules around mask exceptions) then one actually doesn't know, if someone isn't wearing a mask, whether they are actually exempt because of a medical reason or another reason (doesn't always have to be an illness), or if they are just identifying exempt to avoid wearing one, or if they're simply being a ********.

I wouldn't consider it any of my business to know either.

That’s why it’s just laughable, stating a £200 fine for not wearing a mask, which is totally unenforceable.

Sephiroth 01-12-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36103747)
Seems to me that particular class bore the brunt of lockdowns, mask mandates etc and didn't have jobs allowing them to WFH. A sizeable amount helped keep critical retail businesses and supply chains running for those Waitrose customers.

C'mon, Pip - you're just sore that Waitrose in Barry closed recently. I wonder why!

nffc 01-12-2021 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103749)
That’s why it’s just laughable, stating a £200 fine for not wearing a mask, which is totally unenforceable.

The laughable thing is that it's very easy to avoid the situation.

Not suggesting that it is a good idea to do this, but, surely if one was inclined to try and circumvent the mask rules, then when challenged they simply need to say "I'm exempt from wearing a face covering" which means they can't be challenged further, denied entry or service, or fined for not wearing one.

Surely anyone who is wilfully inclined to transgress on this would know that anyway.

Regardless, as they have seen fit to make it law, and irrespective of whatever arguments one may have about the effectiveness or otherwise of masks, everyone who can wear one probably should until we know more about Omicron.

OLD BOY 01-12-2021 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103749)

Exactly. A master stroke by Boris, who doesn’t want these restrictions but has to put out an olive branch to the scientists who are trying to take control, aided and abetted by the Opposition.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36103747)

They most certainly have.

Jaymoss 01-12-2021 17:27

End of the day anyone who can wear a mask and chooses not to wear a mask is just pig headed and they deserve a slap just for being disruptive

papa smurf 01-12-2021 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36103756)
End of the day anyone who can wear a mask and chooses not to wear a mask is just pig headed and they deserve a slap just for being disruptive

And who will administer this slap

mrmistoffelees 01-12-2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36103754)
Exactly. A master stroke by Boris, who doesn’t want these restrictions but has to put out an olive branch to the scientists who are trying to take control, aided and abetted by the Opposition.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

They most certainly have.

These scientists who are are trying to take control, what's their agenda ? What will they do should they successfully take over the world?

Pierre 01-12-2021 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36103756)

At the end of my day anyone that can wear a mask and chooses not to is expressing their personal freedoms.

If it was really important that they did wear a mask, I’d probably take a different view but the government doesn’t think it really important so neither do I.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103760)
These scientists who are are trying to take control, what's their agenda ? What will they do should they successfully take over the world?

Who said anything about scientists wanting to take over the world? You been watching Moonraker again?

mrmistoffelees 01-12-2021 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103761)
At the end of my day anyone that can wear a mask and chooses not to is expressing their personal freedoms.

If it was really important that they did wear a mask, I’d probably take a different view but the government doesn’t think it really important so neither do I.

To be fair, the government thinks they're important enough to make them legally required in multiple environments.

Any person can indeed not wear a mask and choose to express their personal freedoms, the flip side is they could (and should) be fined if they're found to be breaking said laws.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Who said anything about scientists wanting to take over the world? You been watching Moonraker again?

OB posted about the scientists 'taking control' of what? who knows? but considering the vast majority of scientists globally are in agreement then you would have to assume said taking control is being done at a global level.....

1andrew1 01-12-2021 17:45

Quote:

Who said anything about scientists wanting to take over the world?

No one said the world, mrmistoffelees was getting it from here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36103754)

Pierre 01-12-2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103764)
To be fair, the government thinks they're important enough to make them legally required in multiple environments.

And given them a “not wear a mask” option, penalty free, if they so choose.

Quote:

Any person can indeed not wear a mask and choose to express their personal freedoms, the flip side is they could (and should) be fined if they're found to be breaking said laws.
They can’t. If approached by a policeman, you simply say I am exempt as it gives me anxiety - and that is it, conversation over the police cannot do anything.

Quote:

OB posted about the scientists 'taking control' of what? who knows? but considering the vast majority of scientists globally are in agreement then you would have to assume said taking control is being done at a global level.....
Scientists in agreement? You sure about that? Some are some aren’t.

But in regards to measures, it is the government where the buck stops.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36103766)
No one said the world, mrmistoffelees was getting it from here:

Mistoffelees did, but he was just ramping up what OB said, which I disagree with anyway