Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

Chris 03-03-2021 11:03

The future of television

Right, enough. Thanks to the BBC3 announcement we now have 3 different threads all discussing the same issue. I have closed all of them.

*All* pointless arguments about whether the future of TV is in linear broadcasting, video on-demand, a mixture of both, or something as-yet uninvented, should now take place here.

The Today programme covered this this morning, from 8.20am if anyone fancies going on BBC Sounds (that’s about 2h 20m in). The essential point is that the EPG and the broadcast schedule work as a focal point, even amongst older teens and young adults for whom linear tv is supposedly of less interest. BBC Three suffered an 80% loss of engagement by going on-demand only. The broadcast schedule simply works better at reaching the target audience. That’s why they’re bringing it back.

johnasimmons 03-03-2021 11:52

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36072805)
Right, enough. Thanks to the BBC3 announcement we now have 3 different threads all discussing the same issue. I have closed all of them.

*All* pointless arguments about whether the future of TV is in linear broadcasting, video on-demand, a mixture of both, or something as-yet uninvented, should now take place here.

The Today programme covered this this morning, from 8.20am if anyone fancies going on BBC Sounds (that’s about 2h 20m in). The essential point is that the EPG and the broadcast schedule work as a focal point, even amongst older teens and young adults for whom linear tv is supposedly of less interest. BBC Three suffered an 80% loss of engagement by going on-demand only. The broadcast schedule simply works better at reaching the target audience. That’s why they’re bringing it back.

Well done Chris - this argument has just became personal attacks by two or three individuals on each other here :clap:

Hugh 03-03-2021 12:11

There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072672)
No it's your interpretation of what you think the Government will do in six years time. There's no manifesto commitment, no proposed legislation. Nothing but your hopes and dreams.

The 2025 broadband commitment is getting watered down so much the networks, particularly in rural areas, will not be up to it.

Then you're goosed until 2037. Better get shifting those goalposts again OB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072674)
No, 2027 is what he said. The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.

As you always express a contrary view, I guess I must be on the right lines. You have nothing to back up your view, as usual.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

You need to read the article. He’s been mooting at doing this for sometime! It is only the broadband rollout that seems to be holding him back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072795)
I see no contradiction, jfman. The BBC document I was referring to talked about the BBC planning for internet only broadcasting by the mid-2030s. Hugh’s post seems to confirm that position.

Unless the government changes it’s position on this, I fully expect the 2027 review of the licence fee to require a move to a subscription model within the ensuing period.

Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?

jfman 03-03-2021 12:22

Be easier to nail down jelly I suspect, but certainly a good move by the mods to keep what is fundamentally the same discussion to a single thread.

Raider999 03-03-2021 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072820)
Be easier to nail down jelly I suspect, but certainly a good move by the mods to keep what is fundamentally the same discussion to a single thread.

Might be better still if the mods closed down any thread where these type of arguments occur as soon as they appear.

Or more radically suspend the accounts of 1 or 2 posters?

jfman 03-03-2021 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072825)
Might be better still if the mods closed down any thread where these type of arguments occur as soon as they appear.

Or more radically suspend the accounts of 1 or 2 posters?

I think it would be a shame if it were to come to that. The pay-TV market has never had such a rich and diverse range of options for consumers across all broadcast platforms and a range of devices.

I have no strong feelings in favour (or against) any techbological method of delivery or any company in the marketplace. As I frequently point out I have Virgin and three different streaming services.

Some however seem to take their personal preferences in absolute terms, and push that to portray others as outdated.

Hugh 03-03-2021 13:46

OK, let's start off as we mean to go on.

Can we keep the discussions on the arguments/positions put forward, and not on the people posting them. If there is a discrepancy/inaccuracy in the positions, feel free to point it out, but don't let frustrations/emotion make the postings personal attacks or derogatory.

OLD BOY 03-03-2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072818)
There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?

Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.

Chris 03-03-2021 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072850)
3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.

As previously requested: Link, or it didn't happen.

Hugh 03-03-2021 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072850)
Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

You posted
Quote:

The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review.
The next licence review is in 2027 - does it not logically follow that you’re stating that the BBC is planning not to use the existing transmitter system after 2027?

Can you provide a link to where the BBC stated they will not be utilising the existing transmitter network after the next licence review in 2027, please?

In fact, you stated on 04/08/2019 09:45

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=995

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36004881)
[/B]

I agree that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is inadequate but I don't see that as supporting your argument. The whole country should have fast broadband speeds in a few years. As I've said previously, the BBC is planning for a non-linear scheduled TV environment after the next licence fee review.

But I expect you know better than them. They really should have consulted you in the first place. :rolleyes:

The next licence review is in 2027.

OLD BOY 03-03-2021 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36072871)
You posted The next licence review is in 2027 - does it not logically follow that you’re stating that the BBC is planning not to use the existing transmitter system after 2027?

Can you provide a link to where the BBC stated they will not be utilising the existing transmitter network after the next licence review in 2027, please?

In fact, you stated on 04/08/2019 09:45

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=995

The next licence review is in 2027.

Hugh, according to my calendar, 2035 falls after 2027.

Hugh 03-03-2021 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072881)
Hugh, according to my calendar, 2035 falls after 2027.

Not sure of your point?

You stated
Quote:

The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review.
If someone intends not to use something after a date (2027), surely that precludes using it from 2027 until 2035?

Dude111 03-03-2021 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris

Sadly Chris I think the future of TV is very bleak!!!

Not much worth watching anymore.......... Sad really mate......

bbxxl 03-03-2021 21:34

I think they should put programs on one after another and reduce it to, say, three channels.

They could have advertising on one of them, but no one would watch it, which would leave two for the rest of us.

Chris 03-03-2021 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36072892)
I think they should put programs on one after another and reduce it to, say, three channels.

They could have advertising on one of them, but no one would watch it, which would leave two for the rest of us.

So ... everyone back to 1981 then? :D