Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

liamboyle06 23-08-2005 10:56

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

Deuce Bigalow, European Gigolo
Though it funny but not quite as hilarious as his first movie. still some really funny scenes, if you want a laugh

ellie 23-08-2005 22:19

The Fantastic Four ...Cool movie, liked it alot https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2005/10/16.gif

The Island ...Brilliant movie, Loved it https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2005/10/16.gif

pedantic 27-08-2005 23:48

Dead Man's Shoes 3/10 :td:

Creep 4/10 - watchable, but only just :rolleyes:

Regards.

Stuart 28-08-2005 00:12

In a bizarre way, I found Creep interesting, although that's mainly because I used to travel on the Jubilee line from Charing Cross each day, and they filmed a lot of the film on an around the Jubilee line platforms at Charing Cross (which are now closed to the public). So, it was interesing in an "I've been there sort of way". Also, Franke Portente looked nice, and was good (as she always is). Apart from that, the film was rubbish.

Just finished watching Superman. Still (IMO) the best superhero film. Especially when watched with the surround sound switched on.

kookook 30-08-2005 09:40

Raging Bull: Excellent movie, though somewhat overrated by many, I think. 4 out of 5, nevertheless.

Terminator 3: Meh. It certainly could have been worse. Some of the one-liners were terrible, but that My So Called Life chick did somewhat redeem the movie. The super terminator was pretty hot, too. 2.5 out of 5.

Solaris: ***? It was certainly an interesting character study...I guess. It's just that the damn film didn't make any sense. They said in the movie "There doesn't have to be a reason," and I guess that's right, but the payoff at the end fell short for me. Good, moody cinematography and a script that does make one think saves this movie from truly sucking, in my mind. 3 out of 5.

Halcyon 01-09-2005 12:04

"Unleashed"

I hadnt a clue what this was about when I was asked to go and see this movie, and when it started I thought "Oh dear this is going to be fighting sequences throughout the whole film".
BUT... This was not the case and there was actually a story behind itas it developed nicely. With Morgan Freeman playing an old blind man really well. The film has a few funny bits too and it turned in to a pleasent film to watch after all.

zing_deleted 01-09-2005 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
"Unleashed"

I hadnt a clue what this was about when I was asked to go and see this movie, and when it started I thought "Oh dear this is going to be fighting sequences throughout the whole film".
BUT... This was not the case and there was actually a story behind itas it developed nicely. With Morgan Freeman playing an old blind man really well. The film has a few funny bits too and it turned in to a pleasent film to watch after all.

had this on region 3 dvd for weeks now under the name of Danny the Dog ;)

Stuart 01-09-2005 13:16

Last new movie was "The Island". This is quite a good film. Although it has nothing to do with Jerry Bruckhiemer (apart from the fact that previously, Micheal Bay has worked with Bruckhiemer), it's very similar in style to those films. Not a very developed storyline, although the characters are not well developed (deliberately so in some places), they are well acted, and the story is enjoyable.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansson looks extremly sexy with her hair down & slightly ruffled.

If you go to see this film expecting to see a wonderful & intelligent story, you will be disappointed. If you go to see it expecting an OK story, good special FX and stunts to make your jaw drop, you might like it.

Last film I saw? Watched Superman II on DVD the other night. Still love that film.

Mal 01-09-2005 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C
Last new movie was "The Island". This is quite a good film. Although it has nothing to do with Jerry Bruckhiemer (apart from the fact that previously, Micheal Bay has worked with Bruckhiemer), it's very similar in style to those films. Not a very developed storyline, although the characters are not well developed (deliberately so in some places), they are well acted, and the story is enjoyable.

Oh, and Scarlett Johansson looks extremly sexy with her hair down & slightly ruffled.

If you go to see this film expecting to see a wonderful & intelligent story, you will be disappointed. If you go to see it expecting an OK story, good special FX and stunts to make your jaw drop, you might like it.

Considering that it was a Michael Bay film, it wasn't bad ;) Like you said, it's one of those films which you should not go into the film with your expectations high.

...and Scarlett Johansson did look good...

Last film I saw was Big Trouble in Little China. Plenty of cheesy lines :)

Quote:

[Jack starts up the Pork Chop Express]
Gracie: What was that?
Jack Burton: 6.9 on the Richter scale!

Atomic22 01-09-2005 20:58

just managed to watch road trip for the first time........
cheesy but funny

Hom3r 01-09-2005 21:04

late last week we had a cinema that was 45 years old original 1 screen, converted to 3 (Saturday morning films for 50p when a nipper) closed. My sister who works next door said builder are already ripping the insides out.
local paper covered it
http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/ne...0of%20film.lpf

Jules 01-09-2005 21:59

Always sad when that happens :(

Stuart 01-09-2005 22:03

True... The cinema where I saw Star Wars (the Lewisham Odeon) is now part of the Lewisham High stree bypass. Similarly, there was an absolutey lovely cinema in Greenwich that is now a block of luxury apartments. Still, the other Greenwich cinema (the one nearest where I work) is re-opening as an all-digital cinema soon.

Tezcatlipoca 01-09-2005 22:38

Fantastic Four -

7/10 (including a bonus point for having Jessica Alba in a rather lovely costume).

Not bad, but not on a par with the X-Men & Spider-Man movies.

Took too long to get going, not enough happened until the end. Still, at least all the set up is out of the way now for when they inevitably do a sequel.

Stealth -

5/10.

Average, but enjoyable, action nonsense from the director of xXx

Graham 02-09-2005 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D
Average, but enjoyable, action nonsense

Talking of which, I watched The Core the other day.

This is a classic Disaster Movie, "classic" in the sense that not many minutes into the film I'd identified all the archetypal characters and predicted the nature of their demise (with pretty good accuracy!)

There's one good SF in-joke where the guy who built the craft they're going to use to get to the core refers to the material it's constructed from as "unobtainium"!

Pretty effects, cliched plot and dialogue. Whiles away an hour or two - 4/10.

Phone Booth, on the other hand, was a lot more interesting, it had some predictable bits in, but also some nice ideas and is definitely well executed.

What's best about it is that IIRC it runs only to about one hour and twenty minutes which is well timed, because any longer and it would lose its impact.

Definitely worth a watch - 7.5/10

SMHarman 02-09-2005 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.ewles
late last week we had a cinema that was 45 years old original 1 screen, converted to 3 (Saturday morning films for 50p when a nipper) closed. My sister who works next door said builder are already ripping the insides out.
local paper covered it
http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/ne...0of%20film.lpf

Seen many a movie there, also at the Waltham Cross one (now a Bingo hall)

GreenBars 02-09-2005 20:47

I saw my first film (Star Wars) at the Harlow Odeon in '77. Haven't made that much use of it in recent years - probably only three times in the last six years. Guess I'm as responsible as anybody for its demise - it's too easy to go to a multiplex.

Ramrod 02-09-2005 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb
had this on region 3 dvd for weeks now under the name of Danny the Dog ;)

Gonna watch it this w/e :)

Watched Star Wars III (my 4yo calls it Star Whores :rofl: ) last night......not bad 5-6/10

pedantic 02-09-2005 21:44

For anyone who rents dvd's online, I just seen this on my online rental website http://videoisland.com/corporate/new...html?item=1241 looks like I won't have a full service for a couple of weeks, but glad nobody was hurt.

Regards.

kronas 02-09-2005 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Gonna watch it this w/e :)

Watched Star Wars III (my 4yo calls it Star Whores :rofl: ) last night......not bad 5-6/10

what have you been teaching them ;) :nono:

i watched 'the perfect match' recently, something diffarent to what i normally watch but it was a fine movie, its basically about a mother (heather locklear) who dates guys but never finds a reliable one so they keep moving houses state to state, so one of her children (hilary duff) gets the help of a new female freinds father and starts talking to her father who gives her advice on what makes the perfect man.... i wont spoil the rest :p:

Mr_love_monkey 02-09-2005 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman
Seen many a movie there, also at the Waltham Cross one (now a Bingo hall)

It was a sad day when they knocked down the odeon at Gants Hill too...

Mal 02-09-2005 23:13

The Odeon near St Peter's Square in Manchester closed down earlier this year as well. A bad year for the traditional cinema. :(

sir_drinks_alot 03-09-2005 15:59

The cinema near me closed down a few years ago now so unless the other half
drives me i have to take the train. just to be able to see a movie Which is a real
Pain in the ass.

Ramrod 03-09-2005 23:29

Just watched Jet Li in 'Unleashed' (aka 'Danny the Dog')........excellent! 10/10 :tu:
Thanks Zingle! :D

pedantic 04-09-2005 00:59

House Of Nine 5/10 Dennis Hopper must have been struggling for other parts to have been involved in this low budget flick :rolleyes:

The Ring Two 6.5/10 Not as good as the first but still a good watch :)

Blessed 6.5/10 Good film (especially with heather graham in it ;) ) spoiled a bit though by a weak ending. :confused:

Regards.

SMHarman 05-09-2005 03:00

Hitch - pretty amusing 7/10

dilli-theclaw 07-09-2005 10:24

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.....

MMMMmmm - I did enjoy it, I'd probably have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen the TV series (Although I know I shouldn't really compare the two)

7/10

makikomi 12-09-2005 00:16

Just seen The Longest Yard tonight.

This is a re-make of the Burt Reynolds film about an ex-professional American Football player who gets put in prison. He is recruited by the warden to form a team from the inmates to give the guards' semi-professional game a pre-season practice game.

Burt Reynolds does appear in this film, but his former starring role is now played by Adam Sandler. Sandler plays his role well (if unspectacularly) and is assisted by a decent cast which includes Chris Rock. The story line is pretty much exactly what the original 1970s film had, with a few changes here and there.

As in the original film, you have to look at the other players to spot a few well known names. Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg (WWE wrestlers) and ex-NFL stars Brian Bosworth and Bill Romanowski feature too. Nelly (the rapper) does a decent (if undemanding) turn as the star Running Back, and Bob Sapp (PRIDE fighting star) appears too and is hilarious.

Is the film worth seeing? Yeah, I'd say so. I've seen the original film, and this one is on a par with it - each has their strong points and their weaknesses. The humour is far from politcally correct, but did provide quite a few laugh-out loud moments. It definitely helps if you know something about (and like) American Football. I would say it's more of a lad's film, and would make a good film to watch as part of a night out, or maybe to have on DVD to watch with a pizza and a few beers. I'd like to have it in my DVD collection.

I'd give it 7.5 out of 10.

http://www.longestyard.com/longestyard.php

me283 12-09-2005 07:49

Seen a few at the cinema recently:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith -lots of nice special effects, not much of a storyline, loads of gunflashes and improbable fight scenes. That said, it was a nice easy watch, made all the more easy by the presence of Angelina Jolie looking... well, looking as amazing as only she can. Oh, and Brad Pitt is annoyingly handsome (is he my long lost twin??!!). 7/10.

Then, The Wedding Crashers - absolutely hilarious! Recommended if you just want laughs galore. Some really funny lines, and the two lead actors just feed off and bounce off each other so well. 9/10

Finally, The Cave - absolute dross. A pretty limited idea of a story line, coupled with really badly stereotyped characters, special effects that mean you can't quite understand what's being said or what's going on, poor acting, and a really predictable ending. Complete waste of time in going to see it IMO. 2/10.

Now, I hope to dig out my old DVD of 9 1/2 Weeks fairly soon... can I rate a film 25/10?!

Stuart 12-09-2005 09:07

War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise version): 6/10. This film, while not great, was quite enjoyable and did at least seem to stick to the basic outline of the story. Nicely done SFX (as you would expect from Spielberg), and it was quite watchable, if a little sentimental at times (another thing I tend to expect from Spielberg).

The film was certainly a lot better than I expected.

orangebird 12-09-2005 09:47

Anyone seen The Business yet? Am off to see it tomorrow.

ellie 12-09-2005 22:55

Bad Boys II https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2005/10/26.gif ..Luv it, so funny https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2005/09/15.gif https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2005/10/16.gif

orangebird 15-09-2005 16:13

The Business - a surprisingly enjoyable film - 7/10 :tu:

AndrewJ 15-09-2005 16:19

A Set of unfortunate circumstances ( on ntl frontrow ) 10/10 brillant comedy value, with a deep story line, really enjoyed it.

pedantic 16-09-2005 18:11

Boogeyman 5/10

Slow moving horror flick, which only springs to life in the final 15-20 minutes. Worth a watch, but not much to spook you, unless nothing seems to spook me anymore. :D Even watched this on my own :Yikes:

Regards.

Graham 16-09-2005 19:04

Dungeons and Dragons.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear...!

"I'm the handsome All-American Boy who is brave, noble, wise and is obviously going to save the day".

"I'm the loud irritating clumsy black guy who is obviously the comic relief and am probably going to die before the end of the film."

"I'm the plain girl who wears glasses who is actually going to turn out to be rather good looking after all and I hate the hero, so obviously I'm going to fall in love with him."

"I'm the well-known British actor, so obviously I'm the villain and I'm not going to take this film seriously, so I'm going to camp things up"

"I'm the Princess who believes in Truth, Justice, Freedom and Mom's Apple Pie, and am going to win and bring everyone into a new era of democracy."

Etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

(Oh and "I'm the Director of this film, I have no shame!")

3/10 and only because the effects were pretty good.

Thunderbirds.

I could probably transplant several of the cliches from above straight into this review...!!

Alternatively: How the Americans manage to take something well loved from Britain and turn it into a piece of tedious and mindless crap!

About the only good bit in the film was a neat little nod towards the original series.

Remember when they'd show a puppet trying to manipulate an object etc and they'd switch to a close up of a real pair of hands? Well in this one, they show the real actors in Thunderbird One, then cut to a close up of a puppet hand *with strings* pushing the throttles! :D

2/10

dilli-theclaw 16-09-2005 19:41

Species - 7/10
Species II - 7/10
Species III - 4/10
Zardoz - 5/10 (odd but good)
Outland - 6/10
Screamers - 6/10

Oh - and reign of fire - I nearly forgot I watched this last week - fortunately - 1/10...

Tezcatlipoca 16-09-2005 20:29

Shrek 2 -

Excellent. 9/10

Master & Commander -

Some good bits, some really boring bits

6/10.

The Interpreter -

Hadn't heard anything about this before I saw it, but it turned out to be quite good.

Well acted & well paced thriller. 7/10

sir_drinks_alot 17-09-2005 00:47

Wolf Creek gold star :tu:

this is some Scary **** it will destroy your nervous system it's that good. :tu:
Slow to start but ones it gets going oh boy the terror never lets up. :cool:

pedantic 19-09-2005 11:10

Phantoms 7/10 - Ben Affleck and Peter O'Toole star in this better than I thought it would be horror. Better than some of the recent films I've watched and deffo worth a watch. Good Film :tu:

The Final Cut 7/10 - Robin Williams stars in this sci-fi/fantasy thriller. Good plot, and makes you really think about what future technology could hold in store for everyone. Would you really want people to replay your life ? Not sure I would like my family seeing every detail of what I got up to during my lifetime :eeek: Good Film :tu:

Regards.

humphreys barmy 19-09-2005 19:18

What's anyones thoughts on Green Street ? Personally thought it was great.

sir_drinks_alot 19-09-2005 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by humphreys barmy
What's anyones thoughts on Green Street ? Personally thought it was great.

this is one of the best movies i've seen an age :tu: :tu:

cnewton2k 19-09-2005 23:20

The Exorcism of Emily RoseFab film very moving and very strange, tis a must see, makes u think long and hard on what is real

timewarrior2001 19-09-2005 23:21

Cinema recently:

Bewitched - 0/10
Herbie Fully loaded - 0/10

DVD:
Ring 2 - 1/10 about as scary as jackanory
Lost boys - 9/10

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 00:12

I love blood and gore movies ones where there's a very high body count. :tu:
People pleading for there life ! :cool: just as the victim thinks thay are safe
BOOOOO the killer get than cuting tham down in the bloodiest way possible

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Martin 20-09-2005 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot
I love blood and gore movies ones where there's a very high body count. :tu:
People pleading for there life ! :cool: just as the victim thinks thay are safe
BOOOOO the killer get than cuting tham down in the bloodiest way possible

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Hmmm I'm starting to see a pattern....

Quote:

5% man. 95% Psycho :mad:
Very worrying!!! :p:

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin
Hmmm I'm starting to see a pattern....

Very worrying!!! :p:

Some say am ted bundy in his pre serial killer days :cool:

Moving on :shocked: anyone seen The Descent it's one deep movie. ;)

Martin 20-09-2005 00:32

Quote:

Some say I'm ted bundy in his pre serial killer days :cool:

Hmmmmmm Sooooo glad we live hundreds of miles apart! :D:D

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 00:34

Quote:

Hmmmmmm Sooooo glad we live hundreds of miles apart! :D:D

Ah but you never know when i may pop up martin. :Yikes: my wife never Dose. :D

atlantis 20-09-2005 00:37

Quote:

Ah but you never know when i may pop up martin. :Yikes: my wife never Dose. :D

shouldn't that be in a thread of its own:erm:

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 00:41

I don't care what anyone say Alien vs predator was a Damn fine movie.

atlantis 20-09-2005 00:42

Quote:

I don't care what anyone say Alien vs predator was a Damn fine movie.

Do you know if there are plans for a 2nd one?

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlantis

Cool just as long as there's no human Characters to get in the way of the Alien Vs predator stuff. :cool:

atlantis 20-09-2005 00:47

Yeah, I was going by the last scene, looks like they left the door open for a sequel (at least I hope they will be one).

Martin 20-09-2005 00:50

Quote:

I so hope there isn't another!!!

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:02

I Wanted to make a movie based on the simon and garfunkel song so long frank lioyed wright. but no one is willing to Put up the cash needed to make the thing at the moment I will make this film even if it’s the last thing I do on gods
green earth.

atlantis 20-09-2005 01:04

Quote:

I Wanted to make a movie based on the simon and garfunkel song so long frank lioyed wright. but no one is willing to Put up the cash needed to make the thing at the moment I will make this film even if itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s the last thing I do on gods
green earth.

Great song:tu:

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:06

Quote:

Great song:tu:

It Would make an even better movie am working on a treatment for the movie
Right now. :)

Martin 20-09-2005 01:08

Quote:

I Wanted to make a movie based on the simon and garfunkel song so long frank lioyed wright. but no one is willing to Put up the cash needed to make the thing at the moment I will make this film even if itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s the last thing I do on gods
green earth.

ROFL Hmmmm got connections in the industry then?

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:12

Quote:

ROFL Hmmmm got connections in the industry then?

Nop but i will try anything to get the cash to get this thing made what did you
Think i was up to when i Disappeared for month on end. :cool:

atlantis 20-09-2005 01:15

Have you tried the arts council in your town?
Or take a look at this link:

http://www.fundingfilm.com/page/page/870227.htm

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:16

Quote:

Have you tried the arts council in your town?
Or take a look at this link:

http://www.fundingfilm.com/page/page/870227.htm

Right on brother :tu: i will give it a go !

atlantis 20-09-2005 01:17

Good luck

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:22

Quote:

Good luck

Martin 20-09-2005 01:32

Quote:

Right on brother :tu: i will give it a go !

Hmmm I look forward to seeing you epic on FilmFour!

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 01:39

Quote:

Hmmm I look forward to seeing you epic on FilmFour!

Cool :tu: so do i martin it's going to be the best film noir movie of the last 27 Years. :)

Russ 20-09-2005 16:44

One Hour Photo - scared the whatsit out of me. It's not a scary film, but to watch Robin Williams play such a sinister character will leave you shaking for weeks :eek:

etccarmageddon 20-09-2005 17:13

Robin is doing some of his best work at the moment - Insomnia and the recent Final Cut.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364343/

sir_drinks_alot 20-09-2005 17:53

downfall one of the best foreign language movies i have seen in a long time. 10/10 :)

Mal 23-09-2005 16:56

I have just spent 2 hours watching the worst film of 2005, Revolver :mad:

It was abysmal. It is one of those films which is pretentious and tries to be clever, but fails miserably. Avoid it.

On the plus side, I had the biggest screen at the cinema all to myself. :)

EDIT: I forgot to rate it: 0/10.

sir_drinks_alot 23-09-2005 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal
I have just spent 2 hours watching the worst film of 2005, Revolver :mad:

It was abysmal. It is one of those films which is pretentious and tries to be clever, but fails miserably. Avoid it.

On the plus side, I had the biggest screen at the cinema all to myself. :)

EDIT: I forgot to rate it: 0/10.

I will give it a miss than sounds like the Money is better spent on a beer or 2 :cool:

Russ 23-09-2005 19:12

Alien Abduction - The MacPherson Tapes.

A Blair Witch style film about an American family at Thanksgiving who get attacked by aliens. Yes it's fake but it is VERY realistic, frighteningly realistic. Even at the end when the credits come up and you see the actors' names, you'll still be wondering if it's genuine.

It comes on Sky Movies occasionally so keep an eye out for it but be warned - don't watch it on your own!

me283 26-09-2005 16:03

"Broken Flowers" with Bill Murray. Not quite sure what to say really. He doesn't really act too much in it, and just delivers every line as if he's bored - kind of like Tom Hanks on Mogadon. It gives the impression that there is a message there, but I'm damned if I understood it. It ended with a whimper, and you could have missed the ending altogether; but then it was hard to tell where the story (if there was one) actually started, and what the plotline was.

I wouldn't recommend it.

gazzae 26-09-2005 16:25

Went to see Pride and Prejudice at the weekend. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The missus wasn't that impressed by Mr D'Arcy. Keira Knightley was looking gorgeous as usual.

dilli-theclaw 30-09-2005 16:34

1 Attachment(s)
Asteroid - 5/10 - OK as far as it went, but not brilliant. I was somewhat dissapointed at the ending tho.

Dawn of the Dead (remake?) - 5/10 - Better than I expected.

The Time Machine (The old one that is :)) - 8/10 - I love the oldie sci fi films :).... And it has a time travelling cigar (Attached :))

The Shawshank Redemption - 9/10 - Not bad - not bad at all...

marky 30-09-2005 16:39

Nonsense that is nothing but a parlour trick ;) great movie

NEONKNIGHT 30-09-2005 16:41

SCHOOL OF ROCK - seen it recently on Sky and DVD. :tu:

Class (!) movie, well funny, recommend it ! :cool:

me283 30-09-2005 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT
SCHOOL OF ROCK - seen it recently on Sky and DVD. :tu:

Class (!) movie, well funny, recommend it ! :cool:

Also saw it on DVD, and it wasn't too bad. Jack Black is a really funny guy.

pedantic 04-10-2005 15:46

The Woodsman 7/10

Very dark theme about a sex offender released back into society, trying to cope with the demons inside him. Kevin Bacon plays a great role which couldn't have been easy considering the theme of the film. :tu:

Wake Of Death 6.5/10

Yet another van damme fighting film, not bad though considering they're all pretty much the same. :tu:

Ray 7.5/10

Jamie Foxx with a great portrayal of Ray Charles. A little disappointing there was not much towards the end of his life, considering the film is just short of 2 1/2 hours. But then, the most interesting parts of his life were in the 50's and 60's. What a dark horse he was though :shocked:

Regards.

Ramrod 04-10-2005 15:49

Banlieue 13
Very enjoyable! :D

zing_deleted 04-10-2005 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Banlieue 13
Very enjoyable! :D

That looks like a good action movie only I cant handle reading subs :(

sir_drinks_alot 04-10-2005 21:36

Goal!

Middle of the road sports movie that football fans will love 10/10 :)

Mal 07-10-2005 20:38

Serenity

Enjoyed this spinoff from Firefly.

9/10 :)

Tezcatlipoca 09-10-2005 23:45

Gremlins -

Absolute classic. 9/10

Gladiator (Special Extended Edition DVD) -

The new version of Ridley Scott's epic is even better than the theatrical version. Great stuff! 9/10

marky 09-10-2005 23:47

Gremlins, have you been watching my kids raiding my pc gear :Yikes:

me283 10-10-2005 00:00

Had a chance to catch up on watching some DVDs this week. Watched a couple of Japanese ones forst. One was not memorable but the other was a classic called Yojimbo. It's black and white and was apparently the inspiration for "A Fistful Of Dollars". Not bad, but poor picture quality.

Next, "Mulholland Drive", a very intriguing David Lynch film. Very good if you like that sort of thing, very David Lynch. I'm still thinking about it now.

Finally, the legendary "Withnail And I" starring Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann. Just an absolute classic and I cannot rate it highly enough.

Tezcatlipoca 10-10-2005 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
Had a chance to catch up on watching some DVDs this week. Watched a couple of Japanese ones forst. One was not memorable but the other was a classic called Yojimbo. It's black and white and was apparently the inspiration for "A Fistful Of Dollars". Not bad, but poor picture quality.

"Yojimbo" is excellent :tu:

Directed by Akira Kurosawa.

He also made, amongst others, the awesome "The Seven Samurai" (which was the basis for "The Magnificent Seven").

me283 10-10-2005 00:14

Quote:

He also made, amongst others, the awesome "The Seven Samurai" (which was the basis for "The Magnificent Seven").

Yes, I saw that in the screen notes. Very influential guy. Also the lead actor was superb - Toshiro Mifune - was superb. Apparently he was the leading light of Japanese actors for many years.

chris_mc_1266 10-10-2005 00:32

Without A Paddle (15) On Ntl On Demand £3.50 5/10

The Free Preview Made It Look Brill But Boooo Could Have Been A Lot Better sorry Guys

Also

Shirley Valantine (12) On Ntl On Demand £1.50 8/10

This movie is for everyone absolutley Fab and hey look at the price. Can anyone complain?.

abailey152 10-10-2005 01:08

"Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" on DVD - 7/10 but I did like the books!
"The Island" - 8/10
"Stealth" - 3/10 Like Top Gun but with worse acting!
"Mr & Mrs Smith" - 8/10 Quite good, better than I had hoped.

Gareth 10-10-2005 02:19

The new Wallace & Gromit movie - it's a laugh-a-minute :tu: Highly recommended. The kids will love it, but there's some nicely hidden adult jokes there too.

...and it's a Brit film, so go see it even if it's just to support the UK film industry :)

Aragorn 10-10-2005 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth
The new Wallace & Gromit movie - it's a laugh-a-minute :tu: Highly recommended. The kids will love it, but there's some nicely hidden adult jokes there too.

...and it's a Brit film, so go see it even if it's just to support the UK film industry :)

What Gareth said - just see it! 'May contain nuts' will never be the same again!!

handyman 10-10-2005 11:33

Back to the future (1985)

Fantastic film, enjoyed it for the umpteenth time just as much as the first time I saw it. 10/10

akane1984 10-10-2005 11:34

Nightwatch. . this is part of a trilogy and i can't wait for the next 2 parts. nice to see some international films gettin into a america dominated market. very good film and for what it cost £4.5m . . . it has just as good SFX as matrix or lord of rings. good vs evil films always kick ass :angel:

i give it 9/10

Maggy 10-10-2005 12:52

Serenity.It was all I expected and more..They also weren't afraid to kill off major characters which is exceptionally brave of them if there are to be any follow ups.

9/10

pedantic 10-10-2005 12:56

Finding Neverland 6/10

Johnny Depp and kate winslett star in this story about what inspired J M Barrie to pen the Peter Pan story. Very slow, watchable, but not great viewing.

Hitch 6.5/10

Will Smith plays the part of a "love doctor" not one of will smith's best efforts, but not a bad watch.

Hide And Seek 7/10

Robert De niro takes his daughter to a new home, to try and get her over the loss of her mother. Good performances, especially by Dakota Fanning, who plays the little girl (emily). I'm not a huge fan of child actors, but she puts in a good performance in this thriller.

Regards.

orangebird 10-10-2005 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth

Am off to see that on Sunday - will it keep a 14 year old, 12 year old and 6 year old amused for the full length of the film?

Gareth 10-10-2005 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
Am off to see that on Sunday - will it keep a 14 year old, 12 year old and 6 year old amused for the full length of the film?

Yes, I would think so. The 6 year-old and the 12 year-old will definitely love it, and I should think that the 14 year-old will get the more adult jokes (although they're not crude). I didn't once look at my watch during the film, and didn't think there were any sequences that were just 'fillers' to pad it out a bit.

There was also a Madagascar short film shown before it, which the eldest child might find less funny, but I'm sure the other 2 will enjoy it.

Oh, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the film too, OB :)

Tezcatlipoca 11-10-2005 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
Quote:

Yes, I saw that in the screen notes. Very influential guy. Also the lead actor was superb - Toshiro Mifune - was superb. Apparently he was the leading light of Japanese actors for many years.

Another Kurosawa classic, also starring Toshiro Mifune -

"The Hidden Fortress" - was one of George Lucas' inspirations for Star Wars.

orangebird 11-10-2005 08:51

The Last Samurai - surprisingly good. 7/10