Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

altis 04-06-2007 13:40

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Shakespeare in Love (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138097/

If you're going to make a film about Shakespeare then why not do it in the style of - well, Shakespeare? Something of a high-risk strategy, perhaps, but this film pulls it off magnificently. All the Shakespearean devices are there: a play within a play; confusion over identities; swapped gender; the flow split between characters; slapstick; a strong story. All this together with some modern day gags - "Follow that cab!".

Playwright Tom Stoppard shares the credit for the script which is excellent. Sometimes the language is difficult to follow but it's not half as bad as 'real' Shakespeare. If you'd quite like to understand more of the Bard but struggle with the language then this is an excellent way in. It neatly side-steps the problem of trying to re-write the plays in modern day language.

No wonder it received seven Oscars. Recommended.

budwieser 04-06-2007 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flange (Post 34285489)
Deja-Vu - 7/10 - I really liked this movie. If you like the possibility of time travel then go see it.

I`m sure i`ve seen that before. :D

greencreeper 04-06-2007 18:49

Wolf Creek. Was on TV a few nights back. The "head on a stick" scene had me reaching for cushion. 9/10

TheDaddy 05-06-2007 13:08

Letters From Iwo Jima, good effort 8/10 :tu:

TraxData 06-06-2007 00:13

Re: Rate the last movie you saw...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja (Post 216703)
I watched a movie last night called Spirited Away, its basically an Japanese animated cartoon (not sure if its classed as Anime), but it is very beautifully done, Disney should take a look put it that way. It also won the Oscar in 2002 for the best animated feature.

It have one of the weirdest storylines i have ever seen, about a family that come across this strange tunnel near their new home, walk through and end up in a bath house for the spirits (yeah - i told you) but i thouroughly enjoyed it.

I'd give it an 8/10 at least.

Check it out here... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245429/, gets 8.5 /10 out of 15,000 votes.

You do need to disengage any rational thought for it though.

That film was great, you should watch 'grave of the fireflies' if you get time, i warn you, its a depressing film though. and animes cant generally upset me.

Anyway, last film i watched was sunshine (sci-fi) thought it was so-so 5/10

Also watched De Ja Vu, extremely **** poor boring film 2/10

And watched pirates of the caribean 3 today which i quite enjoyed 7/10

Stephen 07-06-2007 23:46

Stranger than Fiction 9/10

Saw a trailer ages ago and forgot about it. A really great movie, well written and shot. Not the type of film you expect to see Will Ferrell in!! Worth a viewing.

joggerspark 14-06-2007 08:54

Saw Letters From Iwo Jima, brilliant 9/10 :tu:

Sirpingalot 20-06-2007 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencreeper (Post 34321161)
Wolf Creek. Was on TV a few nights back. The "head on a stick" scene had me reaching for cushion. 9/10

I also watched Wolf Creek a few nights back. It was pretty good, although I felt it took a long time for the main story to really emerge. 7/10 from me.

Saaf_laandon_mo 20-06-2007 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencreeper (Post 34321161)

I still squirm when I think about that scene. At first I thought he was just going to slice her achiles, but when he started twisting the knife in the base of her spine and everything was crunching away, it was horrible.

Good film too......

Pierre 20-06-2007 14:18

Fantastic 4 - Rise of the Silver Surfer 6/10

Obviously, the best thing about it is the Silver Surfer and whenever he's not in it, it just bumbles along.

Dr Doom is shoe horned into the plot. It's not bad but could have been so much better.

Druchii 21-06-2007 01:14

X-Men 3. I'd give it a 6/10 as a stand-alone film, i guess you need to watch the others to get the storyline fully?

AntiSilence 21-06-2007 01:20

Erm, a 10 year old one here, but I'd never seen it for some reason...

Starship Troopers - 8/10 :) Could easily tell from the style that it was done by the director of Robocop (also a cracking film :))

Sirpingalot 22-06-2007 12:25

Starship Troopers was a fantastic film. At least I think it was. Well, I enjoyed it when I watched it ages back, anyway.

TheBlueRaja 22-06-2007 14:04

Alpha Dog - 9/10

A true story too unfortunately - definitely not a feel good movie and one i don't think i'll ever forget.

Very depressing but compelling viewing.

Stranger than Fiction - 8/10

Another good movie by Will Ferrell, a black comedy / tragedy. Very sad but a good film.

Tip: Dont watch these two back to back, im almost suicidal...

Sirpingalot 22-06-2007 14:55

Fight Club. Just now, infact. One of my favourite movies of all time, with a shadow of a doubt.

A great plot, twists and turns meant that this movie secured a 10/10 from me.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja (Post 34333794)
Stranger than Fiction - 8/10...Very sad but a good film.

Did you watch it all the way through? It turns out well. I also approve of this film. 8/10 from me too.