Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

alferret 20-07-2010 11:09

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Alone in the dark II, pretty pants really 3/10

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35058993)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Hmm. 8.5/10. I'd forgotten how much I actually enjoy this one.

Great battle scenes, great lightsabre duels, Yoda kicking ass, rise of Palpatine & Vader, fall of the Republic...The best of the prequels IMO.

And, of course, it gave us...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2010/07/21.jpg

Didn't manage to watch Ep. IV as well in the end, so my aim for Tuesday is to watch the entire Original Star Wars Trilogy all in one day [Hah, isn't my use of my annual leave productive :D]

Have you read or listened to any books from the SW extended universe? There are some cracking books that should be made into films.

The latest books are the "Fate of the Jedi" series but I suppose book talk is for another thread :)

Tezcatlipoca 21-07-2010 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35059178)
Have you read or listened to any books from the SW extended universe? There are some cracking books that should be made into films.

The latest books are the "Fate of the Jedi" series but I suppose book talk is for another thread :)

Yup, I used to have a whole load of the SW Expanded Universe novels, starting with Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" / "Empire Trilogy" (which kickstarted the SW novel/EU resurgence).

Despite all the ones which came afterwards, I still think Zahn's were by far the best (although Kevin J Anderson's "Jedi Academy Trilogy" was very good). The X-Wing series of novels was very good too, and there were some other good ones, but there were also a lot of stinkers (such as, IIRC & IMO, "The Crystal Star" & "Children of the Jedi").

I got bored with the EU at some point during the "New Jedi Order" (the books with the "Yuuzhan Vong") & just stopped reading them...

__________________________________________________ ______________

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

The original classic. 10/10.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

One of those rare sequels that’s at least on a par with the original. 10/10

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Weakest of the three, but still great. Battle of Endor & Luke vs. Vader = Epic. 9/10

Those scores are all ignoring the “Special Edition” aspect of the Originals, although that’s obviously what I watched, given that you can’t actually get a decent quality version of the Originals on DVD.

I love the improved SFX of the SEs, especially the way the battles have more ships, and the Alderaan & Death Star explosions no longer look crap (Praxis Effect FTW), but…

ANH

Han & Greedo: WRONG! OK, better on the DVD release than the original version of the SE, but still WRONG.

Jabba: WRONG! It just looks really bloody stupid due to Han walking on Jabba’s tail. Wouldn’t be too bad, if it wasn’t for that.

ROTJ

Additional muppet song and dance at Jabba’s Palace: WRONG! Looks and feels stupid and out of place. Utterly unnecessary.

Galactic celebrations at the end: WRONG! WTF? So as soon as the Emperor is killed and the Death Star II is destroyed there is instant celebration across the galaxy, complete with fireworks? Get stuffed.

Anakin’s Force Ghost being that of Young Anakin (Hayden Christensen) rather than that of Old Anakin (Sebastian Shaw): WRONG! Alec Guinness’ Obi-Wan Force Ghost wasn’t replaced with Ewan McGregor, so why was Shaw replaced with Christensen? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was he Young Anakin when he died? No! Was he Young Anakin when he redeemed himself and turned away from the Dark Side? No!

Oh, George, why did you mess with them?… :(

__________________________________________________ ______________

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Awesome. 9/10

MadGamer 22-07-2010 17:31

Toy Story 3 10/10 IMO, was sad in parts of the movie, but gave it that score as im also a big fan

Kymmy 22-07-2010 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35060368)
Oh, George, why did you mess with them?… :(

As long as he left in the Stormtrooper smacking his head in Ep4 and Han groping a feel of Leia in EP6 then I'm happy :D

Just spent last weekend watching the LOTR extended edition trilogy and then went onto the Bourne trilogy

10/10 all 6 films :D

Peter_ 22-07-2010 17:53

Inception 10/10 stunning.

MadGamer 22-07-2010 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35060835)
Inception 10/10 stunning.

Im taking my dad to see that hopefully next week :)

Tezcatlipoca 22-07-2010 19:57

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

9.5/10

Awesome. Battle of the Hornburg = EPIC.

dilli-theclaw 22-07-2010 20:07

While I do rate the LOTR films very highly, I am disappointed at how much had to be left out of the books. Still I can see why it had to be done.

I look forward to the Hobbit film :)

Ravenheart 23-07-2010 07:50

Inception 9.99(recurring)/10 Great film, and unusually one where you'll need your brain engaged.:D

Tezcatlipoca 23-07-2010 23:29

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

10/10

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadow shall spring,
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

speedfreak 23-07-2010 23:35

big shark thing and the rather large octopus, 8/10 for sheer comedy value (dont pay for this film,ever)

Tezcatlipoca 23-07-2010 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak (Post 35061563)
big shark thing and the rather large octopus, 8/10 for sheer comedy value (dont pay for this film,ever)

LOL. I want to see that other one, with the other 80s pop-star Tiffany...Mega Piranha?

speedfreak 23-07-2010 23:59

I actually quite enjoyed it but when I was much younger I use to love old godzilla movies etc so it was a bit a of a case of blast from the past for me :) I'll have a look for mega piranha!

dilli-theclaw 24-07-2010 17:33

Ahhh Megashark vs giant octopus - I thought it was great :)

peanut 24-07-2010 20:09

At long last managed to see District 9. I thought it was excellent, much better than I thought it would be.

A Good 9 from me. Hopefully there'll be a District 10 in a couple of years.