Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

speedfreak 12-04-2010 18:06

re: Rate the last movie you saw

The Imaginarium of Dr Panassus 3/10 what a strange film, only watched it because it was a HD offering on VM's on demand. Another £5 wasted :( Think I best read reviews before I buy an on demand film in future

Peter_ 12-04-2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak (Post 34999977)
The Imaginarium of Dr Panassus 3/10 what a strange film, only watched it because it was a HD offering on VM's on demand. Another £5 wasted :( Think I best read reviews before I buy an on demand film in future

I saw that as an Orange Wednesday and it still was not worth it.:erm:

I would have walked out but wanted to see if it got any better.:erm:

Flyboy 14-04-2010 11:59

Harry Brown. Quite dark and excellent cinematography, dragged on for a bit, but basically an anglicised re-make of the Death Wish series. 4/10

Will21st 14-04-2010 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 35001020)
Harry Brown. Quite dark and excellent cinematography, dragged on for a bit, but basically an anglicised re-make of the Death Wish series. 4/10

I thought it was well below par as well,especially Emily Mortimer as the female copper was awful. I find the Death Wish films way more entertaining!

BTW

Death Wish 3 (ITV) : 10/10 :D
Bronson at his best,killing the **** left,right, and center! :p:

Stuart 19-04-2010 01:29

The Ghost.

A story written by Robert Harris (he of Fatherland fame), and adapted by Robert Harris and Roman Polanski.

The premise is that Ewan McGregor is a Ghost writer for autobiographies. He is hired by the ex prime minister (Pierce Brosnan, looking strikingly like Tony Blair) and his wife (Olivia Williams, looking strikingly like Cherie Blair) to ghost write his memoirs, after the previous Ghost writer is killed.

Ewan (who's character is not named in the film) must find out what actually happened.

Excellent film, excellently acted. Even the stark lighting and sets add to the atmosphere. No gimmicks (such as funky music, or special effects), but none are needed. The film keeps you on the edge of your seat for the whole 2 hours 8 minutes it's on.

9/10

Tezcatlipoca 02-05-2010 02:15

Iron Man 2

I don't think it's quite as good as the first one, but it's STILL AWESOME.

8.5/10

Loved it. And totally fail to understand how some people have been comparing it to Spidey 3 / X3...

admars 02-05-2010 10:05

Iron Man 8/10 hadn't seen it since we saw it at the cinema, and really enjoyed it again. Will probably see Iron Man 2 tomorrow or next weekend.

Russ 08-05-2010 23:43

Got to disagree with Stuart about The Ghost Writer, I thought it was pretty good but the acting was awful, everyone was hamming it up (especially Pierce Brosnan and the activist outside the house) and McGregor's cockney accent was terrible. 8/10 though.

Peter_ 09-05-2010 07:43

Shutter Island, 2/10 rather amazing bad especially considering that Martin Scorsese directed it and a stellar cast, you would be better employed watching an old Hitchcock movie to see how this type of movie should really be done something like Rear Window.

admars 09-05-2010 10:37

Iron Man 2 7.5/10

Iron Man 2 was not as good as Iron Man, probably because it lost pace in the middle, and I found Hammer too annoying, but still enjoyable and glad we saw it.

Hugh 09-05-2010 11:59

Avatar BD - 9/10 (for the quality), 6/10 for the story.

I didn't realised how much I had missed when I saw it in the cinema in 3D, as I was so blown away by the 3D.

speedfreak 09-05-2010 12:29

Aliens in the attic 9/10 good to watch with kids, though I probably enjoyed it more :D

admars 09-05-2010 17:44

Local Picture House cinema had a Miyazaki double bill this afternoon, so saw

Ponyo - 9/10 loved it really funny, and really nice :)

Spirited Away - 5/10 I'd seen it on DVD before a long time ago, but still found it a bit long and dull. IMHO very overrated, much prefer Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro.

iFrankie 11-05-2010 17:23

Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

First of all Jackie Earle Haley did a poor job playing Freddy Krueger, the movie itself was ok.

Same typical thing tbh, College teens having issues.

6/10

I enjoyed it, but i've seen something like this a thousand times before.

Stephen 12-05-2010 15:25

Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

9/10

Totally enjoyed this reimagining of the Elm Street story. I thought Jackie Earle Haley did a great job as Krueger and came across as totally creepy and pretty frightening.

They gave Freddy a deeper back story and actually tied his original downfall to the kids he was going after which I thought was much better and IMO made him more menacing.

Recently watched the Original film after not seeing it for a while and while there were some changes many of the original elements were still present in the new verson.