Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The 2010 General Election Thread: Week 1 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33662998)

Chris 06-04-2010 17:40

The 2010 General Election Thread: Week 1

Welcome to the official Cable Forum General Election Thread. This is the place to discuss any and all political stories during this week of the campaign. There is an opinion poll - please use it to indicate your voting intentions. There will be many more parties standing for election than we have room for, so please make use of the 'other' or 'none of the above' options if you need to.

This thread will remain open for one week. After that it will be replaced with a new thread with a new poll. This will allow us to see how voting intentions change and crystallize as polling day approaches. The final thread in this series will open on the day of the election with an exit poll so we can see which party wins the seat for Cable Forum Central.

Please do not start any other political threads during the election campaign. They will be closed.

Let battle commence. :D

Mick 06-04-2010 17:45

Re: The 2010 General Election Thread: Week 1

And so it begins.... :D

Damien 06-04-2010 17:49

I am voting Lib Dem.

Labour have been in power far, far too long. Some of their bills, mostly the ones affecting piracy and freedom have scared me to death. The DNA Database, The Internet/Email History database are awful, awful things and on this alone they need to go. Their other mistakes, Recession, Iraq don't exactly help their case.

The Tories have opposed little of Labour's biggest mistakes. They failed to see the recession at all, same as Labour, and now expect us to believe they would have been different. They also supported the Iraq war. Basically their actions in oppersition are at odds with the government they claim they would be.

Lib Dems opposed the Iraq War and Cable warned of the recession while everyone ignored him.

alferret 06-04-2010 17:53

Conservative :tu:

Derek 06-04-2010 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34995758)
I am voting Lib Dem.

I suppose someone has to. :D

Some of the Lib Dem ideas seem OK but I can't shake the thought that if they did one the first cabinet meeting would go along the lines of.

"I can't believe they actually voted for us, none of these plans will actually work"

Maggy 06-04-2010 18:01

I'm afraid I'm in the 'I have absolutely no idea who to vote for' category..and there's no poll option for that...;)

Damien 06-04-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34995766)
I suppose someone has to. :D

Some of the Lib Dem ideas seem OK but I can't shake the thought that if they did one the first cabinet meeting would go along the lines of.

"I can't believe they actually voted for us, none of these plans will actually work"

I think this is a false logic though. Government is about decisions and judgment, they will have civil servants well versed in the administration of government. How many of the Tory front bench have experience of cabinet work and those that have some experience (i.e Junior minsters) will have been out of that role for 13 or so years now.

As a party I think the Liberal Democrats have shown the best judgment in Parliament and so I shall be voting for them :)

Sirius 06-04-2010 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34995769)
I think this is a false logic though. Government is about decisions and judgment, they will have civil servants well versed in the administration of government. How many of the Tory front bench have experience of cabinet work and those that have some experience (i.e Junior minsters) will have been out of that role for 13 or so years now.

As a party I think the Liberal Democrats have shown the best judgment in Parliament and so I shall be voting for them :)

I can never vote Lib Dems as i cannot trust them to stand up for this country in time of need, They are the sort of party that will roll over and sell us out so they don't have to get in a argument. One of there policies is to take us straight into the Euro is it not ??

BTW

Conservative all the way for me :tu:

Jon T 06-04-2010 18:27

After working for a Lib Dem led Council I don't think i'd want them running the country.

Mick 06-04-2010 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34995768)
I'm afraid I'm in the 'I have absolutely no idea who to vote for' category..and there's no poll option for that...;)

Look again. ;)

Sirius 06-04-2010 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon T (Post 34995777)
After working for a Lib Dem led Council I don't think i'd want them running the country.

Dont worry there is more chance of seeing the devil ice skating in hell than of the Lib Dem's winning the election :D

Hiroki 06-04-2010 18:35

Labour

Would have been Conservative but Cameron is a slimy ****

dilli-theclaw 06-04-2010 18:39

See that's the thing - I've not yet been convinced that ANY of them are actually worth voting for.

Jon T 06-04-2010 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas T (Post 34995786)
See that's the thing - I've not yet been convinced that ANY of them are actually worth voting for.

Now that's a motion I could vote for:D

Gary L 06-04-2010 18:48

Just remember. there is absolutely no way that Nick Griffin will move into number 10 anytime this year ;) :)