Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : A glitch with Thumbs Up? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707567)

cheekyangus 04-04-2019 19:16

A glitch with Thumbs Up?

It's taken me a while to notice, but there's something not working the same with the Thumbs Up functionality.

When you set something to record it normally automatically adds a Thumbs Up to it right then, whether it's TV series or film. Now I've found that various films haven't been doing it. And I can see no pattern.

I've recorded films of all sorts from likes of Channel 4 HD, Channel 5 HD, Horror Channel over recent weeks (maybe even months, I do stack them up) and many of them aren't getting an automatic Thumbs Up.

Why am I bothered? Basically because I use it to tell if I've seen a film before. I watch quite a lot of films and, while I can remember a fair number, my memory obviously ain't perfect.

I can't say it's HD films it's doing it with as it's happening on likes of Horror Channel which isn't HD. And it isn't all films...as, for example Movies24 and Movies24+ isn't doing it (though I'm not watching those ones myself, I'm just saying that based on navigating My Shows).

Like I said, no obvious pattern.

Anyone else have this?

spiderplant 04-04-2019 19:48

Re: A glitch with Thumbs Up?

You are setting all recordings from the guide, not from an ipad or similar? I believe the automatic thumb only happens for 'local' recordings.

Another possibility is it doesn't bother adding a thumb where it would have no effect. IIRC, single thumb-ups on non-series recordings are ignored by the Suggestions logic.

Obviously you are using the thumb for a purpose it wsn't intended for. There is a very easy workaround, though. :tu:

denphone 04-04-2019 19:48

Nothing wrong on our box with this.

cheekyangus 05-04-2019 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35990002)
You are setting all recordings from the guide, not from an ipad or similar? I believe the automatic thumb only happens for 'local' recordings.

Never use the mobile/tablet app for that. Done with the remote directly to the box.

Quote:

Another possibility is it doesn't bother adding a thumb where it would have no effect. IIRC, single thumb-ups on non-series recordings are ignored by the Suggestions logic.

I have Suggestions switched off. Unclear whether this would still affect that, but given the banner tiles still suggest shows with it switched off, I guess it is never properly "off".

Quote:

Obviously you are using the thumb for a purpose it wsn't intended for. There is a very easy workaround, though. :tu:

I realise this. But I thought I ask to see if it was a widespread glitch, or a new implementation of the feature in an update.
:)

spiderplant 05-04-2019 12:31

I've just tested it on a few movies and it's always setting the thumbs up for me, even with Suggestions turned off.

I guess you've been doing this for some time. Maybe you've hit a limit on the total number of programmes that can be thumbed?

denphone 05-04-2019 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35990114)
I've just tested it on a few movies and it's always setting the thumbs up for me, even with Suggestions turned off.

I guess you've been doing this for some time. Maybe you've hit a limit on the total number of programmes that can be thumbed?

That sound a bit silly especially when Virgin in a lot of their advertising and leaflets of the last couple of years are telling their customers of this nifty little thing they can do on their remote.

cheekyangus 05-04-2019 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35990114)

That thought did occur to me. However I (literally) just set X-Men Apocalypse to record and it worked. Then I saw that I hadn't set it to HD channel version, so I cancelled it. Then I went and redid it, and again it worked.

So I haven't a scooby. :D

It may just be a weird random thing. Or they fixed it since I last recorded something where it didn't happen (though that's unlikely).

RichardCoulter 05-04-2019 13:12

I wonder if this is in connection with the move to MPEG4 for some channels, in the same way that favourite channels have had to be input again for those channels that have completed the switch??

spiderplant 05-04-2019 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35990119)
That sound a bit silly especially when Virgin in a lot of their advertising and leaflets of the last couple of years are telling their customers of this nifty little thing they can do on their remote.

It's not silly. Let's imagine there's a limit of 1000 thumb ratings (I have no idea what the limit actually is). That's more than enough for the software to know what you like and don't like. Adding a 1001st thumb isn't going to materially affect the Suggestions that you get.