Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Any V6 users also tried SkyQ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708168)

southlad 15-09-2019 14:46

Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

Just wondered if anyone had used both the V6 and SkyQ and could give me your opinion on advantages and disadvantages of both?

ozsat 15-09-2019 15:58

Re: Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

I have both.

SkyQ is best with late programme changes - although that too has been bad on BBC recently - BBC issue as they changed their update system.

V6 is best for series links as SkyQ seems often seems to forget them between series. V6 also does links across channels.

Interface are very different - but it is what you get used to as it is personal choice.

Netflix works well on V6 - but some films judder on SkyQ as it is unable to handle some frame rates.

There is still no HDR on SkyQ.

Additional boxes only need WiFi access on SkyQ - but then they just slave off the main box. So 6 recordings at once is maximum for house and all boxes share same recording folder.

Additional boxes on VM each need RF and network connections - but they can be set to either share their resources or keep them private.

FrogGuy 15-09-2019 17:01

I switched from the V6 to SkyQ and switched right back again! The SkyQ system is good but series linking can be poor, plus I think the navigation is better on Virgin.

One example is the backward catch up guide on the V6 is so good. Sky doesn't have this, but trying to find catch up shows is clunky.

muppetman11 15-09-2019 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogGuy (Post 36010116)
I switched from the V6 to SkyQ and switched right back again! The SkyQ system is good but series linking can be poor, plus I think the navigation is better on Virgin.

One example is the backward catch up guide on the V6 is so good. Sky doesn't have this, but trying to find catch up shows is clunky.

I've always found speaking the show name into the remote has got me there pretty easy.

ozsat 16-09-2019 05:48

V6 is ideal for the 7-day catch up - but not beyond that.

I wanted to watch last week's QI on SkyQ and said "QI". I got a long list of episodes from catch-up, BBC and UKTV - in addition to lots of QIXL episodes.

Sky Q speaking is ideal for finding the show - but not the last episode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36010187)
I've always found speaking the show name into the remote has got me there pretty easy.

muppetman11 16-09-2019 07:02

I've never had trouble using voice finding the last episode.

As an example I voice searched Sanditon (currently working on ITV)

It pulls up on this week and On Demand by selecting On Demand all 4 episodes are listed with air dates and yesterday's at the bottom it literally took seconds.

As I say it's probably habit with me but that's the way I've always found quickest , that's not knocking the merits of a backwards EPG though.

FrogGuy 16-09-2019 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36010187)

The voice search is good. However, let's take EastEnders as an example. I can use the V6 backwards guide to find last nights episode in about 5 seconds.

On Sky Q, I would say 'EastEnders' into the voice remote and then have to scroll through lots of Classic EastEnders episodes from Drama and the latest BBC1 episode was always at the bottom. Then, I have to download it.

That's just one example.

vincerooney 16-09-2019 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogGuy (Post 36010218)
The voice search is good. However, let's take EastEnders as an example. I can use the V6 backwards guide to find last nights episode in about 5 seconds.

On Sky Q, I would say 'EastEnders' into the voice remote and then have to scroll through lots of Classic EastEnders episodes from Drama and the latest BBC1 episode was always at the bottom. Then, I have to download it.

That's just one example.

The real question here is why would you want to scroll past the classic eastenders episodes! Far superior in every way.

muppetman11 16-09-2019 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogGuy (Post 36010218)

That's just one example.

I've just tried that example and with the touch remote swipe down and hold got to Fridays episode in seconds.

I guess its what you get familiar with , I suppose there is no right or wrong.

oliver1948uk 16-09-2019 14:18

If you follow EastEnders, why not set up a Series Link?

denphone 16-09-2019 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36010244)
If you follow EastEnders, why not set up a Series Link?

Exactly..

ozsat 16-09-2019 15:32

It is all personal choice - but for every niggle one has - an equally annoying one is on the other.

The big thing for me on the V6 is wishlists.

denphone 16-09-2019 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36010274)
It is all personal choice - but for every niggle one has - an equally annoying one is on the other.

Extremely useful for digging up those golden TV nuggets.

wildfruit 17-09-2019 21:04

I have had Q. Currently on V6.
Subjective of course but I prefer the interface colours on the V6 to the blue on Q.
The Q boxes get a lot warmer.
Sky movies & on demand in general is better laid out on Q.
V6 boxes seem to stay paired better than the Q and mini I had.
4 k on every v6 versus only on main box on Q.
Don’t watch much telly so that’s about all I can weigh in.

ozsat 17-09-2019 21:44

The V2 SkyQ boxes have the external power supply which reduced the heat of the main box. V1 is in the main set-top-box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfruit (Post 36010475)
I have had Q. Currently on V6.
Subjective of course but I prefer the interface colours on the V6 to the blue on Q.
The Q boxes get a lot warmer.
Sky movies & on demand in general is better laid out on Q.
V6 boxes seem to stay paired better than the Q and mini I had.
4 k on every v6 versus only on main box on Q.
Don’t watch much telly so that’s about all I can weigh in.