Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Boris resigns as party leader (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710650)

1andrew1 12-04-2022 17:31

Re: All those No.10 lockdown parties

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36118886)
That guy himself resigned for breaking the laws he helped inform though. It seems the advisor who does it had to resign but the person with the actual power doesn't.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you think the rules were bollocks or needed. The point is, as you say, that they made it a legal requirement to follow them but disobeyed it themselves. There is also the lying to Parliament thing.

The lying to Parliament will doubtless prove the trickiest bit to swerve.

TheDaddy 12-04-2022 17:37

Quote:

That guy himself resigned for breaking the laws he helped inform though. It seems the advisor who does it had to resign but the person with the actual power doesn't.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you think the rules were bollocks or needed. The point is, as you say, that they made it a legal requirement to follow them but disobeyed it themselves. There is also the lying to Parliament thing.

Of course, rules don't apply to them like they do the little people and as much as some people might be bored of it I don't think it's going away

jonbxx 12-04-2022 17:39

The Secret Barrister on Twitter has bought a bit of clarity on what the fines mean;

Quote:

A Fixed Penalty Notice means that the police believe Johnson and Sunak to have broken the law.

It is not, of itself, a conclusive finding that they have.

If they are not guilty, they can refuse to pay, and contest the charges in the magistrates’ court.

Which might be fun.
Mind you, you can be pretty damn sure that the Police have got ironclad evidence to take the political risk of sending a penalty notice the the PM and Chancellor. Getting this wrong would be severely career limiting for some poor copper.

Chris 12-04-2022 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 36118885)
That's a charitable interpretation of what was going on in their minds.
I wouldn't care much about this but let's not forget that parents were literally stopped from being at the bedside of their dying child. That's why my blood boils over this.

I’m trying to be even handed …

Yes, I totally agree it’s awful. While our own family inconveniences were limited to missing a couple of notable birthdays and anniversaries, I can well understand the anger of those who missed things that can’t be replaced or mitigated for, like the death of a loved one.

That doesn’t mean the rules weren’t necessary,though I think there should have been a bit more room for compassion and a lot less room for those who thought they knew better, like BoJo et al.

Ramrod 12-04-2022 18:16

Quote:

fyi, whilst he did resign, it was apparently, symbolic. I read later that he was still at the sidelines and had his thoughts and advice listened to by the govt and sage.

Hugh 12-04-2022 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 36118897)
fyi, whilst he did resign, it was apparently, symbolic. I read later that he was still at the sidelines and had his thoughts and advice listened to by the govt and sage.

Johnson & Sunak should make the same symbolic gesture, then…

Sephiroth 12-04-2022 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36118872)
What will be in this story will be. I don’t see any need for him to resign or anything like that. Pay the fine and move on, I’m bored of it.

Dislike him as I do, I agree with Pierre.

He'll likely slip up again, but right now we, the UK, need stability at the top.

1andrew1 12-04-2022 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36118891)
The Secret Barrister on Twitter has bought a bit of clarity on what the fines mean;

Mind you, you can be pretty damn sure that the Police have got ironclad evidence to take the political risk of sending a penalty notice the the PM and Chancellor. Getting this wrong would be severely career limiting for some poor copper.

Could Johnson and Sunak just claim they decided to pay the fines so they could focus on the big issues facing the country whilst denying their guilt?

Sephiroth 12-04-2022 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36118901)
Could Johnson and Sunak just claim they decided to pay the fines so they could focus on the big issues facing the country whilst denying their guilt?

Right now, I give a lesser fig for Sunak than Boris.

1andrew1 12-04-2022 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36118900)

He'll likely slip up again, but right now we, the UK, need stability at the top.

We won't get stability at the top with Johnson in No. 10, for as you say, he'll slip up again. And will probably be emboldened if he gets away with just a fine or two.

ianch99 12-04-2022 18:56

This made me laugh, seen on Twitter:

Quote:

They will need a super diversion for this one.

I'm expecting Johnson to announce that Carrie is having triplets whilst he recovers from COVID in a Kyiv bomb shelter.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36118900)

But he is the definition of instability? You, being in a small minority of Tory supporters on this forum, have called him out as unfit for office.

He is a serial liar, with no moral compass. This country deserves better.

TheDaddy 12-04-2022 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36118905)
This country deserves better.

I don't think we do, we have allowed politics to sink into the gutter because "they're all at it" and this man is the result and the future will be even more extreme versions of this man because all but the extremists have given up

Maggy 12-04-2022 19:36

I expect there to be absolutely no come back at all. They will just continue onwards until the next election. If the electorate make their feelings known at the ballot box in sufficient numbers then maybe we will have a change of government.

papa smurf 12-04-2022 19:38

Boris says sorry but REFUSES to resign over partygate and he vows to get on with job

The fine has been paid time to get on with the day job.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ess-conference

Sephiroth 12-04-2022 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36118905)
This made me laugh, seen on Twitter:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

But he is the definition of instability? You, being in a small minority of Tory supporters on this forum, have called him out as unfit for office.

He is a serial liar, with no moral compass. This country deserves better.

As Starmer has said, Boris "has dishonoured his office".
But at a UK level. I don't want to see turmoil. Choosing a new leader takes a lot of time and will distract the Guvmin from important matters now at hand..