Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709861)

buckeye 05-03-2021 22:25

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

I'm starting this thread as the old Netflix/Streaming Services section has been closed.

I'm hoping we can use it to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of current or future streaming services as well as offers they may have and news that may be announced about them without an infinite looping argument developing about just how these services may or may not influence the future of human culture!

I shall start it off with a couple of offers I've seen today......

Starzplay are currently offering a deal of 6 months at £1:99 a month and Eurosport are offering a 12 month sub for £19:99.

I'd also be interested in Disney+ subscribers views about their new expanded service?
It wasn't for me before but how much has the new Star content added to it?

vincerooney 05-03-2021 23:10

Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Whats on starzplay? Anything good? I can't keep up with the content on all the different streaming sites

Legendkiller2k 05-03-2021 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36073300)
Whats on starzplay? Anything good? I can't keep up with the content on all the different streaming sites

Quite a lot tbf The Spanish Princess, Pennyworth, Godfather of Harlem amongst loads of other stuff.

cupcakes aka dd 06-03-2021 12:24

Starzplay is like premium stuff. Pennyworth is great. A cross between James Bond, Peaky Blinders with loads of British Actors and Paloma Faith plays a great character.

1andrew1 06-03-2021 12:50

Deutsche Telekom in Germany had Disney+ at launch as an app in a similar way to Sky in the UK.

Sky in Germany will have the Disney+ app from this April. I think it's possible that VM in the UK could have the app too then, if the deals in Germany and the UK are similar.

Source: Buried within this news item
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...ship-with-rtl/

SonicMaster 06-03-2021 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36073340)
Deutsche Telekom in Germany had Disney+ at launch as an app in a similar way to Sky in the UK.

Sky in Germany will have the Disney+ app from this April. I think it's possible that VM in the UK could have the app too then, if the deals in Germany and the UK are similar.

Source: Buried within this news item
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...ship-with-rtl/

Fingers crossed!

denphone 08-03-2021 13:52

BritBox to launch on Amazon Prime Video channels.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...eid=3598503789

Quote:

BritBox UK is to join Amazon’s Prime Video Channels, as an add on subscription, starting in the spring.

The launch will make BritBox available on over 40 million devices, representing 90% of video-on-demand homes.

Mad Max 08-03-2021 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36073339)
Starzplay is like premium stuff. Pennyworth is great. A cross between James Bond, Peaky Blinders with loads of British Actors and Paloma Faith plays a great character.

That looks ok, but I don't see much else that appeals.

Mr K 08-03-2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36073529)

It's the one streaming service I might be interested in but only if its free.

I only take Prime when they offer it free for a month. Its a price I like. They repeatedly keep giving it out in the hope you'll forget to cancel. I never forget about money ;)

denphone 08-03-2021 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36073536)
It's the one streaming service I might be interested in but only if its free.

I only take Prime when they offer it free for a month. Its a price I like. They repeatedly keep giving it out in the hope you'll forget to cancel. I never forget about money ;)

You need to cut down on your exclusive foreign holidays. that way you might just be able to afford it.;)

Mr K 08-03-2021 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36073540)
You need to cut down on your exclusive foreign holidays. that way you might just be able to afford it.;)

Oh I can afford it Den , I'm just a tightwad :)

nialli 08-03-2021 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36073339)

I signed up to Starzplay and have to say Castle Rock season one was absolutely first rate. We're now binging our way through The Act, then we'll go back to CR for season two and dig into three seasons of Mr Mercedes. Being a Stephen King fan I might try the new adaptation of The Stand but the reviews aren't great.
I'm impressed. It's certainly got more I'm into than Prime at the moment and is a steal at £1.99 a month.
One word of warning: if you sign up through Virgin, just be aware that it takes them a few hours to add it to your account - it's not "on demand" like other stuff in the Virgin Store but once you're in it plays faultlessly and the PQ is full HD.

Tricky Trevor 08-03-2021 16:17

Quote:

It would be nice if they have an introductary off for two or three months.

RichardCoulter 08-03-2021 18:07

Quote:

Can VM Amazon subscribers subscribe to these add on channels? If so, this makes the lack of Britbox on VM a bit less problematic.

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073557)
Can VM Amazon subscribers subscribe to these add on channels? If so, this makes the lack of Britbox on VM a bit less problematic.

The article is incorrect, I believe. You cannot get Prime video channels on Sky or VM. The 'channels' section is excluded, which I think is a pity, because the exclusion of apps such as Britbox, Apple +, Disney +, etc would not be an issue for VM viewers if we had the full 'channels' version.

If you want the full version of Prime, you need to view it through the Fire stick, Roku or some other additional box or stick.

1701-e 08-03-2021 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36073548)
I signed up to Starzplay and have to say Castle Rock season one was absolutely first rate. We're now binging our way through The Act, then we'll go back to CR for season two and dig into three seasons of Mr Mercedes. .

Mr mercedes currently on the virgin uhd channel 999 for no extra charge. Cracking show.

RichardCoulter 08-03-2021 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073560)
The article is incorrect, I believe. You cannot get Prime video channels on Sky or VM. The 'channels' section is excluded, which I think is a pity, because the exclusion of apps such as Britbox, Apple +, Disney +, etc would not be an issue for VM viewers if we had the full 'channels' version.

If you want the full version of Prime, you need to view it through the Fire stick, Roku or some other additional box or stick.

But then you might unsubscribe to the VM channels, I guess that's what they're afraid of.

Are they completely missing or greyed out or something?

Legendkiller2k 08-03-2021 23:58

Quote:

I just checked SKY Q both channels i sub to are there under my channels Shudder and Starzplay, and i can watch them no problem.

ozsat 09-03-2021 05:16

1 Attachment(s)
I've checked on the 360 and the V6 and on the HOME page of the Amazon app is a section listing all 'Your Channels' which are my Amazon Prime Channel subscriptions. As with SkyQ they play fine!

The BTtv app for Amazon also plays them although that already has the BritBox app added.

I've attached an image from the 360 - but the V6 looks identicle.

It is always worth checking out the Prime Channels are there are often deals - like £1pm for 3 months.

Quote:

muppetman11 09-03-2021 11:55

Seems like Now TV are trying to force people into taking the Now TV Boost or face ads.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/now-tv...t-showing-ads/

1andrew1 09-03-2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36073624)
Seems like Now TV are trying to force people into taking the Now TV Boost or face ads.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/now-tv...t-showing-ads/

fair enough, they seem to be testing the market.

nialli 09-03-2021 14:00

Quote:

You sure about that? I subscribed to Starzplay's free 7 days and it played fine on the Prime App on my V6 earlier this month, no problem at all.

1701-e 09-03-2021 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36073639)
You sure about that? I subscribed to Starzplay's free 7 days and it played fine on the Prime App on my V6 earlier this month, no problem at all.

I did that too on my V6.

denphone 12-03-2021 11:07

Netflix looking at restricting password sharing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ssword-sharing

Raider999 12-03-2021 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36073944)
Netflix looking at restricting password sharing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ssword-sharing

Only fair enough - suggest it only works on 1 broadband connection, thus becoming a 1 household service rather than allowing friends to share.

Hugh 12-03-2021 13:33

What if you’re out and about, using a tablet or phone?

OLD BOY 12-03-2021 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36073639)

The ‘channels’ section on the Fire stick and Roku is missing from the V6 version of Prime.

However, for some reason, you seem to be able to enter ‘StarzPlay’ and sure enough, StarzPlay content comes up. It may be, of course, that Prime simply has joint rights to the programmes that appear, as is the case when you enter ‘Britbox’.

It might be good to check out StarzPlay via Virgin’s on demand system to see if it has more content than Prime does in respect of StarzPlay content.

muppetman11 12-03-2021 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36073967)
Only fair enough - suggest it only works on 1 broadband connection, thus becoming a 1 household service rather than allowing friends to share.

Err no thats not fair enough what if I'm at a friend's or staying in a home on holiday with Netflix , what about my mobile connection as well.

OLD BOY 12-03-2021 13:44

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36073970)
Err no thats not fair enough what if I'm at a friend's or staying in a home on holiday with Netflix , what about my mobile connection as well.

Fair point.

ozsat 12-03-2021 15:48

2 Attachment(s)
Two pictures attached - one from the Amazon Firestick and one from the Amazon Prime app on the V6. The one recommending Doom Patrol is the V6.

Both look the same list to me!?

I checked the 360 too and it looks the same as the V6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36073969)
The ‘channels’ section on the Fire stick and Roku is missing from the V6 version of Prime.

However, for some reason, you seem to be able to enter ‘StarzPlay’ and sure enough, StarzPlay content comes up. It may be, of course, that Prime simply has joint rights to the programmes that appear, as is the case when you enter ‘Britbox’.

It might be good to check out StarzPlay via Virgin’s on demand system to see if it has more content than Prime does in respect of StarzPlay content.

spiderplant 12-03-2021 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36073970)

I read that they'll send a code to your phone to allow you access.

OLD BOY 12-03-2021 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36074000)
Two pictures attached - one from the Amazon Firestick and one from the Amazon Prime app on the V6. The one recommending Doom Patrol is the V6.

Both look the same list to me!?

I checked the 360 too and it looks the same as the V6.

It looks like you are in the ‘home’ section. From memory, when you first get into Prime on one of the sticks, running along the top of the screen are a number of options, the first two of which are ‘Search’ and ‘Home’. One or two options before the end of the line is a section called ‘Channels’ and there is a huge choice of channels in there. This does not appear in the V6 or Sky versions of Prime.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36074031)

I’m not sure what is achieved by that. If you’ve given your friend access, you would simply tell your friend what the code was, or confirm it on your phone.

How does that prevent you from sharing the streamer with a friend?

muppetman11 12-03-2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36074031)

I know I read that I was replying to another poster who suggested locking it to your home broadband IP.

1andrew1 12-03-2021 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074032)
I’m not sure what is achieved by that. If you’ve given your friend access, you would simply tell your friend what the code was, or confirm it on your phone.

It's another barrier. Your friend may not bother, forget or take their time in sending you the code. In such circumstances, you might be tempted to sign up for a free trial to Netflix and then they've potentially got another subscription.

ozsat 12-03-2021 17:13

Are you talking about LIVE channels which are different to 'Amazon Prime Channels' ?

Stuff like Pluto add-ins which are dragged in from the apps ?

Quote:

It looks like you are in the ‘home’ section. From memory, when you first get into Prime on one of the sticks, running along the top of the screen are a number of options, the first two of which are ‘Search’ and ‘Home’. One or two options before the end of the line is a section called ‘Channels’ and there is a huge choice of channels in there. This does not appear in the V6 or Sky versions of Prime.

Legendkiller2k 12-03-2021 17:29

Quote:

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Would certainly help towards stopping hacked accounts though.

SonicMaster 13-03-2021 09:16

Quote:

All 'Prime Video Channels' such as STARZPLAY, Shudder, and Hayu are available on Virgin Media and Sky Q via the Prime Video app, like on all other devices.

There is no 'full version of Prime' that we are missing out on.

OLD BOY 13-03-2021 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36074101)
All 'Prime Video Channels' such as STARZPLAY, Shudder, and Hayu are available on Virgin Media and Sky Q via the Prime Video app, like on all other devices.

There is no 'full version of Prime' that we are missing out on.

We are talking about two different things. You can’t get Disney+, Discovery+, Apple+ and many other channels on the VM or Sky version of Prime. There is a huge range of channels available in Prime on the Amazon Fire and Roku sticks and boxes.

Hugh 13-03-2021 18:41

By "channels", do you mean "apps"?

OLD BOY 13-03-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36074152)
By "channels", do you mean "apps"?

They are apps, but Prime refers to them as ‘channels’. This is probably where the confusion lies.

SonicMaster 13-03-2021 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074150)
We are talking about two different things. You can’t get Disney+, Discovery+, Apple+ and many other channels on the VM or Sky version of Prime. There is a huge range of channels available in Prime on the Amazon Fire and Roku sticks and boxes.

Yes, you are confusing apps on the Firestick and Roku devices with the 'Prime Video Channels' available in the Prime Video app.

BritBox is being added to 'Prime Video Channels' so will be available on Sky Q and Virgin Media boxes just like all the other channels.

Obviously the full range of apps on Firestick and Roku devices isn't available on Sky Q and Virgin Media boxes as they have their own range of apps, managed by the respective platforms.

jfman 13-03-2021 22:18

More confusion.

jobbie8 14-03-2021 12:55

The Starzplay offer at £1.99 is offered on, The Starzplay standalone app, Prime as a 'channel', and VirginMedia.
If I subscribed via VM would I also have access to the other 'versions' ?

Legendkiller2k 14-03-2021 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074150)

What are you on about? You can't get them channels on prime anyway.

OLD BOY 14-03-2021 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36074230)
What are you on about? You can't get them channels on prime anyway.

You are looking at this too literally. As I have explained, there is an additional choice on the top row of the screen on an Amazon Fire stick and on Roku. The descriptor they use is ‘channels’, and yes, they are apps. Included in the choice are the channels (or apps) that I mentioned earlier.

That descriptor does not appear on the Sky and Virgin versions of the Prime app.

Take a look at both and you will see what I mean.

Legendkiller2k 14-03-2021 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074231)
You are looking at this too literally. As I have explained, there is an additional choice on the top row of the screen on an Amazon Fire stick and on Roku. The descriptor they use is ‘channels’, and yes, they are apps. Included in the choice are the channels (or apps) that I mentioned earlier.

That descriptor does not appear on the Sky and Virgin versions of the Prime app.

Take a look at both and you will see what I mean.

No i'm reading what you posted it looked like you was saying "Disney+, Discovery+ etc" were available via Amazon prime on ROKU and Firetv.
That's how it looked to me anyway.

ozsat 15-03-2021 05:29

No - via VM would only work via VM.

'Prime' would work on VM but only via the 'Prime' app.

Standalone app can be used on a Amazon devices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36074228)
The Starzplay offer at £1.99 is offered on, The Starzplay standalone app, Prime as a 'channel', and VirginMedia.
If I subscribed via VM would I also have access to the other 'versions' ?

OLD BOY 15-03-2021 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36074248)
No i'm reading what you posted it looked like you was saying "Disney+, Discovery+ etc" were available via Amazon prime on ROKU and Firetv.
That's how it looked to me anyway.

Yes, they are, under the 'channels' heading when you go into Amazon.

Legendkiller2k 15-03-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074270)
Yes, they are, under the 'channels' heading when you go into Amazon.

They are not on Amazon prime at all, they are on Amazon fire devices yes.
The Discovery channel on prime video is exactly that it is not Discovery+

Do you mean the channels icon on the fire tv devices themselves? If so you should be clearer as it looked like you was saying they were on prime which they are not.

OLD BOY 15-03-2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36074297)
They are not on Amazon prime at all, they are on Amazon fire devices yes.
The Discovery channel on prime video is exactly that it is not Discovery+

Do you mean the channels icon on the fire tv devices themselves? If so you should be clearer as it looked like you was saying they were on prime which they are not.

When you get into the Amazon Fire Stick, you come up with exactly the same screen as you do when you access Prime through VM and Sky. The one difference is that you have a ‘channels’ option along the list of features at the top of the screen (the same line as the ‘Home’ and ‘Search’ headings).

As far as I can see, it’s all part of Amazon Prime, but if ‘Prime’ actually indicates something else, that’s news to me. It all comes under my Prime subscription.

I am assuming you don’t have Roku or a Fire stick.

[EDIT]

I should add that if you select the ‘Prime’ streamer on Roku, it is the Amazon screen with the channels option that comes up, so I am sure I am correct to say that the ‘Channels’ option is on Prime. Just not on Prime viewed through Sky or Virgin Media.

I am really not hung up about what you call it, but it is clear that the Amazon screen that appears on Sky and VM does not include the ‘channels’ heading, which is a pity.

Phunkenstein 15-03-2021 13:47

https://advanced-television.com/2021...-tv-adds-fite/

Legendkiller2k 15-03-2021 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36074312)
When you get into the Amazon Fire Stick, you come up with exactly the same screen as you do when you access Prime through VM and Sky. The one difference is that you have a ‘channels’ option along the list of features at the top of the screen (the same line as the ‘Home’ and ‘Search’ headings).

As far as I can see, it’s all part of Amazon Prime, but if ‘Prime’ actually indicates something else, that’s news to me. It all comes under my Prime subscription.

I am assuming you don’t have Roku or a Fire stick.

I haveboth a roku express and a firetv 4k box, basically it comes up on what is the firetv home screen which shows prime, so where it says channels is in fact firetvs app store, i can see where the confusion would lie.
You cannot subscribe to these as part of prime, however on some apps you can now subscribe using Amazon pay, this is how i got around HULU not allowing uk cards i set up usa amazon account linked my debit card to it then used Amazon pay to pay for HULU, then reverted my Amazon account back to UK.
I have both UK and USA apps on my firetv.
My main device is my Nvidia Shield also on there a lot of apps are now allowing you to pay via google pay.

muppetman11 16-03-2021 10:22

Disney forecast to steal Netflix’s crown as world’s biggest streaming firm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...streaming-firm

denphone 16-03-2021 12:48

NOW TV rebrands to NOW.

Quote:

Alongside the visual upgrade, NOW also moves to a new tone of voice. Audiences are invited to join our community with a NOW Membership (formerly Passes) - including Entertainment, Cinema, Sports, Kids and hayu, starting at £3.99 a month, contract-free. Every NOW Membership can be enhanced with Boost from £3 a month - enabling streaming across 3 devices at the same time as well as full 1080p HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/nowtv-rebrand

Legendkiller2k 16-03-2021 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36074450)

They might have a bit of issue with people thinking they are Now mobile. https://www.nowmobile.co.uk/

jobbie8 16-03-2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36074268)
No - via VM would only work via VM.

'Prime' would work on VM but only via the 'Prime' app.

Standalone app can be used on a Amazon devices.

Thank you. I went through Amazon app so I can watch on all of my devices.

Mr K 16-03-2021 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36074450)

Wonder how much some advertising agency was paid for that !

Think Virgin should rebrand as 'V'. Please send me my £5 million consultancy fees ASAP ;)

Legendkiller2k 23-03-2021 13:23

We've been given a ETA on HBOMAX arrival in the UK, we're going to be waiting awhile as 2025 is their target date.

Phunkenstein 23-03-2021 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36075118)
We've been given a ETA on HBOMAX arrival in the UK, we're going to be waiting awhile as 2025 is their target date.

I don’t think it was ever a secret given it was a multi-year renewal and a lot of the HBO catalogue content on Sky doesn’t expire until the end of 2025 but I think the FT article does finally provide some clarity as internet chatter seemed to think it was still coming here by end of 2021.

Legendkiller2k 23-03-2021 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36075119)
I don’t think it was ever a secret given it was a multi-year renewal and a lot of the HBO catalogue content on Sky doesn’t expire until the end of 2025 but I think the FT article does finally provide some clarity as internet chatter seemed to think it was still coming here by end of 2021.

We got the memo today in the office so it looks like it's a go go go for 2025 ish dependant on if SKY choose to do a new deal or not.
Anoither one we're waiting for info on is Paramount+ they want to launch in UK so just a case of waiting now for that document to drop.

Phunkenstein 23-03-2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36075120)
We got the memo today in the office so it looks like it's a go go go for 2025 ish dependant on if SKY choose to do a new deal or not.
Anoither one we're waiting for info on is Paramount+ they want to launch in UK so just a case of waiting now for that document to drop.

Ah right, I was referring to this article that came out today where they spoke to Jason Kilar...

https://www.ft.com/content/753098d2-...f-6e413800f74e

1701-e 04-04-2021 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36074485)
Thank you. I went through Amazon app so I can watch on all of my devices.

Watched Leeds game on Prime Via V6. Got a goal alert before it was on screen. Checked at halftime And Firestick was 85 seconds ahead of Prime video on V6 and the TV Prime app. Do they prioritise their own product?

ozsat 04-04-2021 08:15

With most streaming services it is hit and miss on the delay you get. You could get a few seconds or even up to a couple of minutes.

There was questions raised in the BT forums as to why their live stream can be minutes behind the set-top-box channel.

They explained it all and basically the streams have to be staggered - but you may find you reduce the delay by stopping and restarted. But you could also extend the delay by doing this.

Jaymoss 04-04-2021 09:57

I often view my freesat off my Mut@nt HD1 over my network using M3U and VLC player and there is a delay on that over my own network. Imagine on the much larger scale the source needs transcoding so it is compatible with all devices then streaming on the fly, it will never be instant

Legendkiller2k 07-04-2021 14:20

Sony have launched their own premium streaming service called "Bravia core" only available on some Sony tv models for now. https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sony-l...-service-core/

Hugh 07-04-2021 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36076377)
Sony have launched their own premium streaming service called "Bravia core" only available on some Sony tv models for now. https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sony-l...-service-core/

That’s a shame (my Bravia is about 5 years old).

Legendkiller2k 07-04-2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36076381)
That’s a shame (my Bravia is about 5 years old).

Hopefully it'll come to more models in time too.

Legendkiller2k 17-04-2021 00:10

We had a nice document today in work a un-named company is looking at working with the big streamers to get a all in one subscription up and running aka one payment for Netflix, Disney+, Britbox, Acorntv. Amazon was not on that list.
More info when i get it.

Mad Max 17-04-2021 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36077095)
We had a nice document today in work a un-named company is looking at working with the big streamers to get a all in one subscription up and running aka one payment for Netflix, Disney+, Britbox, Acorntv. Amazon was not on that list.
More info when i get it.

Interesting, thx for posting mate.:)

GrimUpNorth 17-04-2021 18:54

Quote:

More info when i get it.

Something to do with the latest news from Plex? Have used it for years so hope they don't kill off the core functionality.

Legendkiller2k 17-04-2021 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36077139)
Something to do with the latest news from Plex? Have used it for years so hope they don't kill off the core functionality.

Nothing to do with PLEX, PLEX has it's own thing going on we don't deal with them.
Like you i've been a long time user of PLEX and hope they do keep it's core functionality.

OLD BOY 17-04-2021 21:08

Quote:

More info when i get it.

That would be good if all the streamers were properly integrated.

muppetman11 19-04-2021 16:14

Rumor: Apple TV app coming to Sky Q in the UK

https://www.imore.com/rumor-apple-tv...oming-sky-q-uk

OLD BOY 19-04-2021 16:53

Looks like Sky is pulling ahead of Virgin Media with their offering of streaming services. Why must they always drag their feet?

Ah, well, I expect we will get there eventually...

muppetman11 19-04-2021 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36077297)
Looks like Sky is pulling ahead of Virgin Media with their offering of streaming services. Why must they always drag their feet?

Ah, well, I expect we will get there eventually...

It's only a rumour so no guarantee anything will materialise.

Jaymoss 19-04-2021 17:01

Quote:

More info when i get it.

a fair priced AIO would be good. With all the content spread over so many services it is no wonder people access what they want from other sources.

I too use Plex and rarely even Kodi still

Phunkenstein 20-04-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36077291)
Rumor: Apple TV app coming to Sky Q in the UK

https://www.imore.com/rumor-apple-tv...oming-sky-q-uk

The story has been picked up by Broadcast which may suggest there is probably a bit more to it than mere rumour.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/sky/a...158986.article

Legendkiller2k 21-04-2021 11:22

Quote:

More info when i get it.

Well the cat is out of the bag now that company is ... Virgin Media.

heavyside 21-04-2021 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36077487)

Hats off to Virgin Media if it can make that happen.

johnasimmons 21-04-2021 14:30

Woo!!!! :)

1andrew1 21-04-2021 14:43

Quote:

Link here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html

Joedm45 21-04-2021 15:14

My NOW £1 per month Entertainment deal is due to expire next month, already received an automated e-mail discounting to £4.99 per month for 6 months.

No more gravy train I'm afraid, now that the country is starting to open up

1andrew1 21-04-2021 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36077516)
My NOW £1 per month Entertainment deal is due to expire next month, already received an automated e-mail discounting to £4.99 per month for 6 months.

No more gravy train I'm afraid, now that the country is starting to open up

That's still great value compared to the RRP though.

Phunkenstein 21-04-2021 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077510)

The article takes you through to here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/ba-p/4696127

This very clearly states the trial is for broadband only subs.

Which makes me think this is not for a bundled subscription product but perhaps a trial for the new Liberty Global mini-box which would make sense given it appears designed primarily for streaming services and not specifically standard tv - a bit like the Comcast Flex Box.

https://www.libertyglobal.com/about/...s/mini-tv-box/

Itshim 21-04-2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36077541)
The article takes you through to here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/ba-p/4696127

Which makes me think this is not for a bundled subscription product but perhaps a trial for the new Liberty Global mini-box which would make sense given it appears designed primarily for streaming services and not specifically standard tv - a bit like the Comcast Flex Box.

Like the look of the mini box . What's wrong with me :D

Mad Max 21-04-2021 19:46

Quote:

It's a wee bit disappointing imo, I'd like to have seen the NOW TV app amongst that lot.

jfman 21-04-2021 20:19

Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing has signed with DAZN.

Jaymoss 21-04-2021 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36077541)

as I just gone onto 200 meg on its own I can apply for that and I have

heavyside 25-04-2021 10:17

A little more at the end of this link about Virgin Media's new upcoming streaming service. It doesn't add much except the bit about 2Gb broadband.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...eaming-service

Aguero9320 26-04-2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36077569)
Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing has signed with DAZN.

Source?

Jaymoss 26-04-2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36078028)
Source?

if you just google it you will find loads

Mad Max 27-04-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36078028)
Source?

There you go.

https://britishboxingnews.co.uk/blog...ract-with-dazn

Legendkiller2k 29-04-2021 13:10

BT close to selling their broadcasting division to Verizon, others are still in the running.

Tricky Trevor 29-04-2021 14:47

More information here https://news.sky.com/story/bt-confir...iness-12290056

Raider999 29-04-2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36078297)
BT close to selling their broadcasting division to Verizon, others are still in the running.

Where does that come from?

Huge article in Telegraph Financial pages today saying they are looking to attract a partner for BT sports - but looking to retain at least 50%.

Phunkenstein 29-04-2021 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36078297)

Verizon? They haven't been mooted in any of the reporting so far and recent reports about Verizon say that they are currently weighing up selling their existing media assets - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...yahoo-aol-unit

Legendkiller2k 12-05-2021 22:59

Comcast are considering selling Flex devices to compete with ROKU. Although it'll be USA based for now it is possible they have their eye on the UK market too.

1andrew1 16-05-2021 21:23

Big development.
Quote:

AT&T nears deal to create $150bn streaming giant with Discovery

Structure of agreement is unclear but AT&T expected to control most of combined entity

AT&T is nearing a deal to combine its content unit WarnerMedia with rival Discovery to create a media giant with an enterprise value of $150bn, just a few years after acquiring the owner of CNN, HBO and Warner Bros, said people briefed about the matter.

The board of directors of AT&T were meeting on Sunday to approve the deal, said two people with direct knowledge of the matter. The agreed deal is expected to be announced in the coming days, those people said.

The combination would merge one of Hollywood’s most valuable catalogues — spanning the Warner Bros film and television studios, the HBO network and a portfolio of cable channels including CNN — with Discovery, which has had success with a new streaming service aimed at unscripted cooking and home renovation shows.
https://www.ft.com/content/5aeba5f9-...7-e0431aad798b

OLD BOY 17-05-2021 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36079696)

It appears that outside the US, the expanded Discovery+ streamer will include the HBO Max stream. However, as Sky has the HBO rights at present for its own TV channels in the UK, I can’t see us getting the full version of the AT&T add-on for some time.

1andrew1 17-05-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36079759)
It appears that outside the US, the expanded Discovery+ streamer will include the HBO Max stream. However, as Sky has the HBO rights at present for its own TV channels in the UK, I can’t see us getting the full version of the AT&T add-on for some time.

2025 is when we could see HBO Max launched in the UK which is also when the next auction for Premier League rights will take effect. ;) .
For now, it's just Discovery+ offering in the UK though there may be some WarnerMedia content outside the Sky deal like that shown on TCM that could join it. Time will tell.