Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Jaymoss 12-09-2021 00:17

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Kate 6 / 10 bloodiest most violent film I have seen in a good while

alanbjames 12-09-2021 00:42

I watched Murder on the Orient Express with Kenneth Branagh as Hercules Poirot and I didn't think things could get worse second time around but I was wrong.

This film is awful, it shows Poirot as some sort of Hench man where he never was at all.

Damien 03-10-2021 15:58

Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.

Jaymoss 03-10-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36095689)
Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.

Is it common knowledge she is 007? I had thought she was gonna be but not read it anywhere so you may have posted a spoiler hahaha

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

A quick google says it was haha

Damien 03-10-2021 16:09

Yeah it was already out there.

Chris 03-10-2021 16:45

I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.

Stephen 03-10-2021 16:49

No Time to Die 8/10

A great Bond film and a fitting end to Craig's time as Bond.

Hugh 03-10-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36095698)
I think it’s widely known that she has the 007 designation since he’s retired. It was out there when the film was in production, it’s just that that was quite a long time ago now. They’ve opted not to be explicit about it in the trailers but I don’t think they were hoping everyone would have forgotten.

Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?

General Maximus 03-10-2021 19:09

No Time to Die: 10/10

What a fantastic film and I would say it is analogous with Infinity War and Endgame rounding off the MCU. It isn't just a good action film with multiple locations and beautiful vistas, it is a continuation and conclusion of the stories which have been building from the previous films. While I was watching the film I wanted to give it 8/10, then 9/10 but it just kept getting better and better and I ended up needing to give it 10/10. I thought what they did with the new 007 was genius with regards to acknowledging and appeasing the PC crowd and if you were paying attention there were some fantastic nods to the franchise, both current and old, as well as honouring the character himself. This is a well crafted and perfect ending for Daniel Craig's tenure as James Bond and it literally couldn't have been any better imho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36095706)
Is she his replacement (after he retires), or is she just another "Double O“ agent, like Sean Bean was in Goldeneye?

that would be a spoiler and the answer is crystal clear in the film

Damien 03-10-2021 19:28

Spoiler: 
The only thing holding me back from giving it a better score is the main bad guy's motivation wasn't properly explained

General Maximus 03-10-2021 20:10

Spoiler: 
I know what you mean and my realism factor was itching. It is one thing to have a vendetta and desire to right where you have been wronged in life and it is another to have amassed an apocalyptic empire and fund it, especially without organisations like Spectre noticing. The reason why it didn't bother me though is because this film isn't about the new big bad guy and his sinister plot to wreak havoc. This film is all about James Bond the the new bad guy is just a vehicle to drive the story from A to B and I thought a lot of love and care went into it.

I have never been a fan of James Bond and always considered the films to be just good action films. The fact that I have given it 10/10 should say something and tbh I think it stands in a league of its own in relation to the rest of the franchise.

Btw, it goes without saying that this is a cinema worthy film. If you haven't seen the previous Daniel Craig films recently or you can't remember exactly what happened and all the characters involved in them then you need spend 10 minutes of your time catching up and watching the two vids below. I am glad I did.

Damien 03-10-2021 20:21

Spoiler: 
I thought the very final scene was perfect as a love letter to Bond as well. The 'let me tell you a story about a man called Bond, James Bond' and the cut to the girl smiling just before All The Time in the World plays.

General Maximus 03-10-2021 20:32

Yup, it is the little things like that in films and tv series which do it for me.

Jaymoss 05-10-2021 14:19

Just been enjoying TimeLine from 2003. I had seen it before but forgot its name. Richard Donner directed it.
Starring
Paul Walker
Gerald Butler
Billy Connerly
Anna Friel
David Thewlis

8/10 seen it before but forgot it then got the chance to grab it again. Think I will keep it

General Maximus 18-10-2021 22:24

Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes :) I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.

Chris 18-10-2021 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36097927)
Dune (2021): 10/10

I don't know where to start with this one but I think in this case less is more as far as my writing goes :) I knew absolutely nothing about the story and this film did a perfect job of setting everything up and explaining everything. The best way I can describe it is like the Lord of the Rings trilogy where a lot a happens in the first film but there is clearly more story to tell. I only wish they had made all the films at the same time because I would gladly have sat there and watched them back to back; i was hooked.

Amazing visuals, story, acting, action, special effects, score and everything else you can think of. This film sets the gold standard for story telling and you can't help but think "if they can do it in this film so well then why can't every film be like this". It deserves a boat load of Oscars and if it doesn't get them it will be a travesty.

The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

General Maximus 18-10-2021 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36097934)
if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

The guy is a visionary and his body of work speaks for itself. If I was a studio i would be wanting to form a special relationship with directors like him and letting him know he has a creative home and the financial backing to see his dreams realised.

Christopher Nolan is a good example and Warner Bros have screwed him over.

Damien 26-10-2021 17:15

Dune 9/10.

Also loved it. I wanted more when it ended.

The one disappointment is there seems there is so much more to tell and I wish WB had committed to a trilogy from the outset. I would have preferred more world-building and ending the film on the 'attack' scene. Even Part 2 will, IMO, undersell this because it doesn't feel like we're halfway through the story.

Villeneuve was right to make this part 1 without any promise of a sequel though. Should Part 2 not happen then at least this is the best expression of part 1 he could make rather than try to make one film out of this.

It probably will get a part 2 but the one risk is WB's decision to release on streaming mean the American Box Office is muted and although streaming figures should count towards it they may not be convinced on giving a streaming movie a big budget. If we're getting a Part 2 it needs a blockbuster budget, not a streaming one.

Hugh 26-10-2021 20:02

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36097934)
The 1984 version set a pretty high bar, which may have helped push this production along. That previous adaptation really only falls short in its editing of the original material IMO - it’s obvious a ton of story is missing from Paul Atredes’ time among the Fremen rebels. But then they only ever planned to do it in one film, while Villeneuve is aiming to do it in 2.

It’s a rare thing indeed by the way to have something on the scale of LotR in continuous production for that length of time (principal photography for the entire triology went non-stop, back to back, for well over a year, with pick-ups following on and off over the 3 years after that). New Line took a huge financial risk on it. Miramax had originally been funding the production but were only prepared to allow 2 films. They walked away because they couldn’t afford the risk inherent in doing what Jackson and Walsh wanted to do with it.

With Dune 2021, Villeneuve wanted to go big and wasn’t prepared to go low budget just to secure advance funding for the sequel. He has said he needed to make the first film good enough to make the case with Warner, which has bankrolled the project - it was a gamble that risks him being left with an incomplete work but if it’s as good as it looks it is a gamble that should pay off.

On that note...

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

Quote:

‘Dune: Part 2’ Officially Greenlit, Release Date Set for 2023

“Dune” is officially getting a sequel.

Legendary Entertainment announced the news in a tweet on Tuesday. Warner Bros. will distribute the film and help finance it, though Legendary is the primary money behind the movie and owns the rights to the book series. The film is expected to have an exclusive theatrical run, and Legendary will likely make that point iron-clad after “Dune” debuted simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max last week. The unorthodox distribution pattern was a pandemic-era concession by Warner Bros., but one that caused an uproar when it was unveiled in 2020. The “Dune” sequel will hit theaters on Oct. 20, 2023.
https://twitter.com/Legendary/status...516466691?s=20

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1635275153

ThunderPants73 27-10-2021 20:57

I'll believe it when I see it. Just hope if it does get made, it won't take as long as the Avatar sequels. Having said that, I've just finished watching it and it was very, very good. It was a bit jarring to see Stellan Skarsgård in such a role but hey ho.

Hugh 02-11-2021 22:54

Dune - 9/10

Just got back from the Vue IMAX - loved the film, thought it got the pace and mixture of action versus exposition.

The sound in the IMAX was amazing - so glad I didn’t wait to see it on TV; no way would the experience have been anywhere near as good.

General Maximus 05-11-2021 17:46

Eternals: 5/10

Very forgettable characters with a very insignificant storyline and very much a Marvel B movie. All the way through I was thinking "please tell me this is a standalone movie in the MCU" and then at the end it says "Eternals will be back" :doh: Without dissecting every aspect of the movie the best way to describe it is you come away feeling like you have watched a DC movie. It is so bad it has replaced Ragnarok as my least favourite Marvel film.

Chris 05-11-2021 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100222)
Eternals: 5/10

Very forgettable characters with a very insignificant storyline and very much a Marvel B movie. All the way through I was thinking "please tell me this is a standalone movie in the MCU" and then at the end it says "Eternals will be back" :doh: Without dissecting every aspect of the movie the best way to describe it is you come away feeling like you have watched a DC movie. It is so bad it has replaced Ragnarok as my least favourite Marvel film.

If it’s on a par with Ragnarok I’m going to love it :D

Paul 06-11-2021 00:53

Dune - 5/10
Standing ovation ?? No chance. More like a slow handclap.
It was mostly just slow & confusing, and those constant visions started to get irritating.
Sure, it was spectacular in places, and a few bits of excitement crept in, but really, not much. :sleep:

I got the feeling this was another film where you needed to know the story beforehand to have any chance of understanding half of it.
It was 2.5 hours long, and yet it felt like very little really happened, in fact just as it seemed progress was going to be made, it stopped. :doh:

I hope Eternals is better next week (GM dislikes it, so its looking good ;))

General Maximus 06-11-2021 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36100245)
If it’s on a par with Ragnarok I’m going to love it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36100259)
I hope Eternals is better next week (GM dislikes it, so its looking good ;))

you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p: Food for thought for you when watching it; think about Shang Chi and his movement and how he handled the rings and then watch Angelina Jolie.

Stephen 06-11-2021 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100272)
you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p: Food for thought for you when watching it; think about Shang Chi and his movement and how he handled the rings and then watch Angelina Jolie.

I quite enjoyed it. Not brilliant by any means.

Also Ragnarok was by far one of the best.

Stephen 08-11-2021 12:47

Got invited to a press screening of Ghostbusters Afterlife this morning.

It was amazing. 9/10

General Maximus 08-11-2021 13:47

Sweet. I have got my ticket booked for 2 weeks today.

Stephen 08-11-2021 13:54

I've already bought tickets for the 18th and 19th to see it again.

I'm going on the 18th to Braehead with a load of other Ghostbusters from Glasgow in full costume for the opening day. We were asked by the ccinema. So that will be great.

General Maximus 08-11-2021 14:08

Fantastic, I love that kind of stuff. I remember when Star Wars Ep 7 came out and everyone dressed up. I had a photo on my phone of two people who dressed up as Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt but I can't flipping find it. They looked awesome.

Jaymoss 09-11-2021 18:18

No Time to Die absolutely brilliant loved the little links to OHMSS too 10/10

Paul 09-11-2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100272)
you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p:

Well Im booked for Thursday evening, so we'll see. :)

General Maximus 14-11-2021 18:52

Red Notice: 4/10

I was really looking forward to this but unfortunately it under delivers. It is an action comedy which leans more heavily towards the comedy. It feels as if the entire script was designed so that a joke or barb could be incorporated into every sentence and it feels forced throughout the entire film. There was however one scene at the end of the film with Ed Sheeran in which had me in stitches. I like The Rock, I love Ryan Reynolds however the only thing which kept me going and made the film worth while was Gal Gadot. If she wasn't in it I would have turned it off very early on.

Stephen 14-11-2021 20:09

I loved Red Notice. As it was Ryan Reynolds I was expecting a large number of gags and riffs. He has become Deadpool in real life.

Chris 14-11-2021 23:18

Eternals: 7/10.

Definitely a gentler pace than most MCU films, mostly due to the flashbacks. But those are so well done it’s fine by me. It was all worth it to hear the Epic of Gilgamesh spoken in Akkadian. :D

Spoiler: 
I love the way it starts to tie together things we’ve seen in earlier films; the idea that you can put a celestial to sleep is a nice callback to Guardians vol.2. That Ego himself is clearly so feeble compared even to the infant Tiamut suggests there’s more to his origins than we know so far.

I appreciated the fact that (unlike Shang Chi) it didn’t connect itself to the Avengers, even in the Coda. It was nice to feel we were exploring a completely new part of the MCU.

I think they could have afforded to pick up the pace a little. Much as I enjoyed it, the flashback material was not all essential. But that doesn’t make it a bad film, or even a ‘meh’ film. It has the same characteristic lightness of touch and humour that always sets the MCU apart from DC.

Hugh 15-11-2021 09:02

Red Notice - 6/10.

Good fun, obviously set up for a series, good lightweight Saturday night film.

Damien 15-11-2021 09:43

Last Night in Soho - 8/10.

Good film. Made all the more fun in that I watched it in Soho so you're watching streets that you took on the way to the cinema. Edgar Wright doesn't make bad films.

Pierre 15-11-2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101205)
I loved Red Notice. As it was Ryan Reynolds I was expecting a large number of gags and riffs. He has become Deadpool in real life.

He’s always been like that. Blade 3 he is practically Deadpool.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Also watched Shang Chi, very enjoyable but Ben Kingsley! What part of Liverpool was he supposed to be from? Small heath!

I don’t remember him being so bad in Iron Man 3.

I think I’ll probably wait for Eternals to land on D+ but I’ll be going to the pictures to watch Ghostbusters.

Stephen 19-11-2021 19:49

Ghostbusters Afterlife - 8/10

Fantastic film in its own right. But excellent as a Ghostbusters sequel and way to continue the franchise. The new main vast are all Fantastic, especially Mckenna Grace. Already seen it twice.

SnoopZ 19-11-2021 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101916)
Ghostbusters Afterlife - 8/10

Fantastic film in its own right. But excellent as a Ghostbusters sequel and way to continue the franchise. The new main vast are all Fantastic, especially Mckenna Grace. Already seen it twice.

If the last Ghostbusters I saw was Ghostbusters II should I watch Ghostbusters 2016 first or can I skip it?

Stephen 19-11-2021 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36101921)
If the last Ghostbusters I saw was Ghostbusters II should I watch Ghostbusters 2016 first or can I skip it?

Skip it, for 1 it's not very good at all and 2 it's nothing to do with this GB universe. This is a true sequel and also passing of the torch from the 80s busters. Just rematch GB1 if you haven't seen it recently.

Also stay till the end of the credits.

General Maximus 19-11-2021 22:12

Ghostbusters 2016 was abysmal and is a perfect example of why films shouldn't be made for the sake of PC

General Maximus 05-12-2021 23:08

The Matrix (1999): 10/10

Odeon have brought it back just before the new one gets released. It was amazing seeing it on the big screen again. I can remember seeing it all those years ago and being blown away by the concept. There was silence as everyone exited the cinema and all you could hear people saying to the people they were with was "do you think we could be in the matrix and we don't know it".........

Stephen 06-12-2021 01:25

Yeah it's on at Cuenworld too. I might give it another blast in the cinema.

General Maximus 15-12-2021 23:41

Spider-man: No Way Home: 10/10

Well well well, what an amazing surprise. My expectations were high for this film but they were blown out of the water. The trailers made the film look good but they barely scratched the surface and didn't give anything away at all.
I will go so far as to say that all the anger and frustration we expressed when Marvel and Sony had their falling out over $$$ was worth it because they have paid it all back with interest. The storytelling in this film is just absolute genius. You may have been wondering since Endgame if the MCU was going to slowly fade away with the established big characters like Iron Man, Thor and Captain America having left and this being Spider-man's last film but once again they have raised it to a whole new level and when you compare it to Eternals which is the most recent release you just can't believe they are part of the same franchise. This film is a testament to what you can achieve when you collaborate, work together and want to make magic.

I can't really say anything without giving things away but there is a lovely surprise quite early on in the film and later on there are two moments when everyone in my screen spontaneously erupted with cheer and applause. It felt like I was in an American cinema.

The post credit scenes are always fun to watch but out of all the ones we have had I would say the two at the end of this film are the most exciting and on par with Infinity War. They are an absolute must see.

In summary, the extremely high standards you expect from Marvel, fantastic comedy, action, visual effects, story telling on a whole new level, several jaw dropping moments and you honestly come away from the film say "I want more now now now". This is what we have been missing and looking forward to for the last 2 years.

Jaymoss 15-12-2021 23:47

Thor has not left

General Maximus 16-12-2021 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36105876)
Thor has not left

He has mostly. It is my understanding that he is only in the next film so he can hand over the reins to the next Thor (female).

Jaymoss 16-12-2021 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36105889)
He has mostly. It is my understanding that he is only in the next film so he can hand over the reins to the next Thor (female).

So he has not left then. Chris Pratt has even said it is not definate that he is not in Guardians 3 yet too

General Maximus 16-12-2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36105901)
Chris Pratt has even said it is not definate that he is not in Guardians 3 yet too

of course he is going to be. It isn't Guardians of the Galaxy without Chris Pratt.

Jaymoss 16-12-2021 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36105991)
of course he is going to be. It isn't Guardians of the Galaxy without Chris Pratt.

he was referring to Thor

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/249...ris-pratt-said

Paul 16-12-2021 20:56

JFYI, that article is almost two years old now.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a8...-release-date/

Gamora will be in it, Thor probably wont.
James Gunn is back in charge, and filming has started.

Jaymoss 16-12-2021 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36106035)
JFYI, that article is almost two years old now.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a8...-release-date/

Gamora will be in it, Thor probably wont.
James Gunn is back in charge, and filming has started.

All I said was Thor has not left. I never expected the Spanish Inquisition. I will go and get the comfy chair

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

This article is newer. It is unknown whether Thor is in G3 or not but he is in the next Thor movie so he is yet to have left making what I said correct
https://screenrant.com/guardians-gal...-story-reason/

Chris 19-12-2021 21:06

Spidey … easily the best spider man film of the lot. The only reason I’m giving it 9/10 rather than 10 is that the end was just a bit too sad for me. I needed some crumb of hope at the end that things could be … fixed. Nonetheless, superb, and coda 2 once again proves the studio’s willingness to tie its films and its Disney+ output together. Exciting times ahead.

General Maximus 19-12-2021 21:30

I felt the same but this film was obviously setting up the next Dr Strange so I am hoping that he manages to fix everything and it all goes back to happily ever after like just before Mysterio announced his identity to the world.

Dude111 20-12-2021 08:48

I last watched Die Hard 3 (1995) recorderd from analogue cable (PPV) on VHS :)

7/10

Paul 21-12-2021 17:07

Spider-man: No Way Home: 8/10

Generally a good solid entertaining Marvel film.
It's the best film I've seen at the cinema for this year.
A little slow in places, and a little too weepy a couple of times.
Nice to see the various cameos, inc in the post credits (I wont mention them just yet).

Pierre 22-12-2021 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36106685)
Spider-man: No Way Home: 8/10

Generally a good solid entertaining Marvel film.
It's the best film I've seen at the cinema for this year.
A little slow in places, and a little too weepy a couple of times.
Nice to see the various cameos, inc in the post credits (I wont mention them just yet).

Yes, just watched it this morning. I agree the pacing is a little patchy, but when it's going there are some shout out cheer moments.

I also echo Chris on the Disney+ side of things, you need (well probably not need, but it will help) to be up to speed across the various Marvel TV series too.

Jaymoss 22-12-2021 16:12

The Matrix Resurrections. I so wanted to love this movie and I guess I kinda did a little bit. I guess the first Matrix is still unbeatable. Will give it a 7/10

Paul 22-12-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36106767)
I also echo Chris on the Disney+ side of things, you need (well probably not need, but it will help) to be up to speed across the various Marvel TV series too.

It also helps to have seen all the previous Spiderman films (From 2002 onwards)

Pierre 22-12-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36106798)
It also helps to have seen all the previous Spiderman films (From 2002 onwards)

Oh definitely. That’s the source of the Cheer moments!

Paul 23-12-2021 00:58

The Matrix Resurrections : 5/10

Well I guess if you liked all three of the originals, you will probably like this.
It was ok, slow to get started, but plenty of action once it did, and lots of references to the previous films.
Overall, it was entertaining enough, but nothing special.

Pierre 23-12-2021 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36106882)
The Matrix Resurrections : 5/10

Well I guess if you liked all three of the originals, you will probably like this.
It was ok, slow to get started, but plenty of action once it did, and lots of references to the previous films.
Overall, it was entertaining enough, but nothing special.

I haven’t seen it yet but I’m intrigued on how they actually continue the story. I’ll think I’ll wait for home release though.

SnoopZ 23-12-2021 23:00

Red Notice.

General Maximus 25-12-2021 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36106946)
Red Notice.

The thread title is "'rate' the last movie you saw" ;)

SnoopZ 25-12-2021 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36107024)
The thread title is "'rate' the last movie you saw" ;)

Red Notice 7/10 I enjoyed it for what it was.

Jimmy-J 25-12-2021 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36107027)
Red Notice 7/10 I enjoyed it for what it was.

Me too, it was a good laugh.

General Maximus 27-12-2021 09:10

Matrix Resurrections: 7/10

Really enjoyed it and I love how they changed it enough to make it different and stand out from the previous films e.g. flipping bullet time around and different styles of fighting. I thought the story was very clever and the self referencing at the beginning of the film hilarious; they clearly knew what everyone was thinking.
The reason why I have only given it 7/10 is that I didn't feel the tension and intensity that I felt in the first films where they were fighting for the survival of the human race.

Damien 30-12-2021 19:24

Spiderman - 8/10

Really liked it. This is my favourite franchise of the MCU. It's the most fun and usually the least worried about everything being connected although this time it's clearly setting up the multiverse thing.

I knew that it would incorporate some of the old Spiderman films so I was worried it would be too much. I am not someone who especially looks for nods to previous films or worries about the lore of these things, I want a good film. I think worrying too much about serving the existing fan base holds franchises back (JJ Abrams Star Wars for example). Thankfully I think they pulled it off and the film stands on its own merits with the nods to previous films just adding to it.

Spoiler: 

I found the Aunt May death being this universe's Uncle Ben quite a powerful moment. It happening much later in the Spiderman story means we have time to know the character making the death more important.

Especially interesting that they inverted Spiderman's role in the death as well. Rather than resulting from him neglecting his 'responsibility', she dies because he took it on. It's sort of a shame they didn't really explore it being a catalyst for him to reject that responsibility now, being talked around by the other Spider-Men, but it's a nice flip.

bigsinky 31-12-2021 04:23

Matrix revolutions . Meh…….3/10

adzii_nufc 31-12-2021 20:25

Spiderman 8/10 - Definitely a movie event created to further parts of the MCU, possibly expand the SonyVerse and does little for the MCU version of the titular character, but a very enjoyable event. Spiderman's equivalent to Captain America: Civil War.

The Matrix Resurrections 4/10 - I wouldn't even know where to start on the endless list of problems this movie has. A very generous 4 for nostalgia and a promising start and decent middle act.

Pierre 03-01-2022 22:05

I would recommend lots of stuff on Amazon. Just watched “The Prodigy” and over recent months Encounter, Boss Level, Infinity all really good.

I think we should open a new section for streaming movies?

Hugh 03-01-2022 22:57

Spider-Man:No Way Home - 8/10.

Loved the way they pulled all the different storylines from the different films together, with a good balance of action, humour, and emotion.

Paul 03-01-2022 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36107926)

Section ?
Dont really know what you mean, but this isnt the right place for such a suggestion, it should go in the website forum.

General Maximus 04-01-2022 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36107926)

and how would that work? You are already in the film & cinema "section" of the forum so you can by all means starts a new thread which people can continuously add to just as they do this thread but to create a completely new sub-section of Entertainment purely for streaming movies wouldn't work and tbh I think would go largely unused.

Pierre 04-01-2022 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36107943)
and how would that work? You are already in the film & cinema "section" of the forum so you can by all means starts a new thread which people can continuously add to just as they do this thread but to create a completely new sub-section of Entertainment purely for streaming movies wouldn't work and tbh I think would go largely unused.

No, on reflection it was not a good idea.

General Maximus 09-01-2022 19:05

The 355: 1/10

The only reason why I am taking the time to even acknowledge it is to warn people not to waste their time. It was that bad that people were laughing at it in the cinema (and it isn't a comedy). This is the kind of film that we will be reading about in the news in a few months time because it cost $75m to make and only made £15m at the cinema.

Paul 09-01-2022 22:43

I saw the previews when I went to see Spiderman, and decided not to bother.

Pierre 11-01-2022 10:56

Watched Ghostbusters last night, it was enjoyable enough. I was just playing spot the reference throughout.......and there were alot.

Rillington 14-01-2022 15:20

Downton Abbey - 5 out of 5. I hope the next film is equally as good.

General Maximus 14-01-2022 23:13

Scream (2022): 8/10

Very clever story and a well deserving sequel. They do a clever recap at the beginning to refresh you of previous events and part way through they take the mickey out of themselves. The story is a continuation of the previous films with a modem twist. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and constantly wondering who is the killer(s) and if you enjoyed the original trilogy you'll enjoy this.

Let me know what you think when you see it because if I had £1 million I would have bet Sam (actress) was Morena Baccarin's daughter and Tara (actress) was Taylor Russell's younger sister and neither are true :p:

Stephen 14-01-2022 23:25

You mention the trilogy, does it ignore Scream 4?

General Maximus 14-01-2022 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36109642)
You mention the trilogy, does it ignore Scream 4?

I think so but i havent seen it. They reference heavily the original trilogy and i only noticed one reference to Scream 4 where they basically say it is shit and should never have been made. That being said when i was looking up the actors on imdb the sheriff in this was apparently the deputy in Scream 4.

You don't need to worry if you havent seen Scream 4, this is solely about Scream 1.

Stephen 15-01-2022 00:06

I've seen them all lol. Have them all on DVD still.

cimt 15-01-2022 02:10

There are references to Scream 4, it is still classed as canon. I remember 4 actually being a good movie.

General Maximus 15-01-2022 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36109645)
I've seen them all lol. Have them all on DVD still.

I have got a lovely foldout trilogy boxset from 2001 ish still in mint condition :)

Paul 17-01-2022 03:52

The Kings Man: 8.5/10
Been waiting for what seems like ages for this - and finally got to see it tonight.
Well worth the wait. Excellent story, funny in places, gory in others, and at least one unexpected twist. Overall, I loved it.

ElliotM 20-01-2022 10:53

The Gucci House, Jared is the best, he is god

SnoopZ 29-01-2022 20:44

Don't look up 4/10.

SnoopZ 30-01-2022 00:01

Ghostbusters Afterlife 10/10, loved it.

General Maximus 31-01-2022 11:42

me too, shame it didn't do so well at the box office

General Maximus 03-02-2022 18:31

Moonfall: 0/10

The worst film I have ever seen, avoid it like the plague. I can't believe so many big names are associated with it like Halle Berry, it is embarrassing.

Stephen 03-02-2022 18:52

It's the director who is famous for his world ending disaster movies, so will have generated lots of interest and actors willing to star. I love a disaster movie

General Maximus 03-02-2022 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36112264)
I love a disaster movie

me too which is why i had high hopes for this. It has been a long time since we have a good disaster movie (2012 (the film, not the year)). Unfortunately this is more a comedy than anything else because every aspect of it is so atrociously bad that it is laughable.

Paul 07-02-2022 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36112263)
Moonfall: 0/10

The worst film I have ever seen, avoid it like the plague. I can't believe so many big names are associated with it like Halle Berry, it is embarrassing.

What a surprise :rolleyes: Why do you even bother to watch anything :confused:

Unlike you, most people watch films for action and entertainment, and this provides both. I enjoyed it (6/10). :D

General Maximus 08-02-2022 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36112749)
I enjoyed it (6/10). :D

Of course you did

Jaymoss 11-02-2022 20:57

Marry Me. I love a nice film and this is a nice film 7/10

Jaymoss 21-02-2022 00:01

Licorice Pizza 7/10 decent enough film imo. Bit dubious about a certain plot line but still enjoyed it

Alana Haim played the lead well and her sisters and parents were in it too. She did not sing though

---------- Post added 21-02-2022 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 20-02-2022 at 22:35 ----------

Kimi. Another 7/10 decent enough movie. Nice and short to fit in before bed

You do need to bear in mind I am easy to please with movies though

General Maximus 21-02-2022 17:30

Uncharted: 2/10

A poor man's National Treasure. Weak story with forced humour, non of which is funny. The only thing which it has got going for it is star power.

Stephen 21-02-2022 17:46

Holland is great but not who I'd have cast in that part. From playing the games I'd say he should be at least 10 years older than Holland. Sully should be in late 50s too.

General Maximus 21-02-2022 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114077)
From playing the games I'd say he should be at least 10 years older than Holland. Sully should be in late 50s too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36114075)
The only thing which it has got going for it is star power.