Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Pierre 18-04-2021 19:05

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077174)
They decided to place Far From Home at the end of Phase 3 because although it comes right after Endgame, it deals with Peter Parker’s grief over losing Tony Stark, who had become a mentor to him. So in a sense it’s carrying the implications of Endgame to their conclusion.

I’ve not actually got round to seeing it yet though ... annoyingly because of the rights mash up with Sony, Marvel-Disney can make the films but they can’t include them on Disney+.

Oh, I didn’t know that.

adzii_nufc 26-04-2021 22:00

Mortal Kombat (2021)

6/10

If you can look past the dull lead character there's a welcome return to the source material in there. Hard to ignore that it was written with sequels in mind but the OTT gore and video game like deaths are fun.

General Maximus 26-04-2021 22:14

Lol. I am half way through it as we speak and have just stopped because i am struggling to stay awake. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Cobbydaler 26-04-2021 22:15

Nomadland, 3/10 mind numbingly boring.

General Maximus 27-04-2021 08:45

Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress

Damien 27-04-2021 09:35

I am waiting for it to hit Disney+. It does seem like the kind of slow-burning film that I'll not enjoy too much but who knows, sometimes those films stick with you long afterwards.

Paul 27-04-2021 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36078076)
Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress

So definitely mind numingly boring then.

Jaymoss 27-04-2021 20:35

Palm Springs

Modern Groundhog day. Enjoyed it

General Maximus 27-04-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 36078049)
Mortal Kombat (2021)

6/10

I agree. I was going to give it 5/10 but it got the extra point for Hiroyuki Sanada being in it. He has a fantastic on screen presence, was fantastic in The Last Samurai and Lost and was awesome in this as well.

They had a good stab at the film but the thing which let it down was weak characters and story. If it has been a 3 hour film I think it would have been better. I can't believe how easily all the bad guys went down at the end. That never happens, it is always the good guys who get their asses handed to them.

General Maximus 11-05-2021 11:34

Coming 2 America: 5/10 (nostalgia factor: 10/10)

Excellent production quality, I loved all the singing, dancing and costumes. The problem is that it just wasn't funny and I don't know whether it is because it is a bad comedy or because I don't find comedies in general funny. The one thing which really does tickle me and makes me laugh is when they start talking about McDonalds and McDowells.
I loved how they got every single one of the old cast back, it adds to the realism factor by keeping the characters you know alive in the already familiar universe.

Hugh 11-05-2021 12:06

Baby Driver - forgotten what a fun film this was.

Damien 24-05-2021 10:24

Nomandland 7.5/10 - It is a slow film and I would NOT have had patience with it had I watched it at home. But I really liked it. It's a good looking film and I think after giving it that time you end up investing in her story and where it'll end up, it actually gives you a bit of tension towards the end wondering what she is doing. I found out a lot of the Nomads weren't actors but were playing versions of themselves so the Director deserves even more credit. The scene where she talks with Bob and he mentions the loss of his son is that guy's real story and apparently that scene was the first time he had talked publically about it.

General Maximus 24-05-2021 10:32

but should it be classed as documentary or a multi-Oscar winning Hollywood movie?

Jimmy-J 24-05-2021 12:43

Life - Not bad, the ending was somewhat predictable.

Damien 24-05-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36080547)
but should it be classed as documentary or a multi-Oscar winning Hollywood movie?

Well, it isn't a Documentary. Fern is fictional and the 'real life' people are sometimes playing slightly altered versions of themselves, i.e the women with brain cancer doesn't really have it.

I think it certainly deserved Best Actor, Best Cinematography and Best Director. Best film? Debatable. But it's not undeserving.

Also as I was saying the Bob guy is real and really does have a YouTube channel helping Nomads. Here is that channel with a video of him talking of the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YDYvl0fRxQ

General Maximus 24-05-2021 21:42

I'll let you have cinematography but I disagree with the rest.

Dude111 25-05-2021 12:04

I last saw the movie IT 2 (2019) -- I was at a friends house and I gave it a big fat 0 :D

I know I couldnt see it any better than I did but the movie sucked to be quite frank!!!

General Maximus 26-05-2021 11:31

Wrath of Man: 5/10

It isn't bad but it also isn't great. It is your run of the mill Sunday afternoon action film and there literally isn't anything more to say about it.

Jaymoss 26-05-2021 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36080824)
Wrath of Man: 5/10

It isn't bad but it also isn't great. It is your run of the mill Sunday afternoon action film and there literally isn't anything more to say about it.

I would give it a 7. Thought Son of Clint played a good role and my word you can see his father in him. He needs to make a few westerns

Jaymoss 29-05-2021 19:14

Just watched Cruella and I loved it. 9/10 it was just a barrel of fun for me. Some critics hate some love it but it is a film I will watch again for sure

General Maximus 29-05-2021 19:40

Cruella: 6/10

Interesting origin story but wasn't needed, didn't wow me and didn't do anything to improve or further the universe imho. You don't feel like you have gained anything from watching it and you definitely won't be missing out if you don't watch it. Ironically the one above average thing which makes it worth watching is Emma Thompson's performance.

Jaymoss 29-05-2021 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36081277)
Cruella: 6/10

Interesting origin story but wasn't needed, didn't wow me and didn't do anything to improve or further the universe imho. You don't feel like you have gained anything from watching it and you definitely won't be missing out if you don't watch it. Ironically the one above average thing which makes it worth watching is Emma Thompson's performance.

Why do you put you instead of I? because I feel like I gained something and I would have missed out if I did not watch it

General Maximus 29-05-2021 20:28

because I have excellent taste and feel I can speak for the population a whole.

Jaymoss 29-05-2021 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36081281)
because I have excellent taste and feel I can speak for the population a whole.

Yeah I have noticed you do that a lot even though so many often point out to you that they disagree. ;) still it is no biggie :)

Hugh 29-05-2021 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081276)
Just watched Cruella and I loved it. 9/10 it was just a barrel of fun for me. Some critics hate some love it but it is a film I will watch again for sure

8/10.

Emma Stone acted her socks off in it, liked the story, loved the couple of scenes where they recreated scenes from the original cartoon film (for example, Jasper and Horace getting tangled up walking the Dalmatians, and Cruella driving the Coupe Deville for the first time), the soundtrack was terrific (and well matched to the scene each song was in), and the mid-credits scene made me smile.

Well worth watching.

Tinky 30-05-2021 19:02

I don't often stay up to watch films these nights but .....
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, had me from the start 9/10

General Maximus 30-05-2021 19:27

really good film and she thoroughly deserved the Oscar for it. When watching it I assumed it was like most Oscar movies and based on a true story but in this case it was completely fictional.

Tinky 30-05-2021 19:39

Not quite true but based on some similar happening I've read here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/15105473...bing-missouri/

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 00:41

One disturbing thought about Cruella

Spoiler: 
Genghis was pregnant at the end of the movie and then in the mid credit scene Pogo and Perdita were given to the Roger and Anita who later meet get married and the dogs have the original 101 Dalmatians so this leads us to believe they were inbred

Stephen 31-05-2021 01:02

That is usually the case with pedigree breeds.

General Maximus 07-06-2021 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36081291)
8/10.

Emma Stone acted her socks off in it, liked the story, loved the couple of scenes where they recreated scenes from the original cartoon film (for example, Jasper and Horace getting tangled up walking the Dalmatians, and Cruella driving the Coupe Deville for the first time), the soundtrack was terrific (and well matched to the scene each song was in), and the mid-credits scene made me smile.

Well worth watching.

A sequel is already in the works for it.

Jimmy-J 07-06-2021 21:41

French Exit - 6/10

Jimmy-J 09-06-2021 04:02

The Misfits 2021 - Utter Shite

General Maximus 15-06-2021 18:44

mrmistoffelees 19-06-2021 19:35

Had a movie day so two

The Departed 9/10
Heat 10/10

Jaymoss 20-06-2021 18:17

The Paleface from 1946 starring Bob Hope and Jane Russel still funny even now 10/10

Carth 20-06-2021 21:10

The Gentlemen, from 2019.
How the heck I missed that one I don't know, but so glad I eventually caught it.

A whopping 9.5/10 from me, great acting all round :tu:

Jimmy-J 25-06-2021 04:51

The Goldfinch - 6/10

Jaymoss 25-06-2021 10:29

Shoplifters of the World 3:10 awesome soundtrack meh movie

General Maximus 27-06-2021 20:09

Fast and Furious 9: 4/10

It started out average and went downhill from the start. I watched the previous 8 films over the last week to me energised for this film. I thoroughly enjoyed each one and in comparison Fast 9 is lacking on many fronts. It is hard t put your finger on it but it feels like that special bond between the characters is missing in this film; you just don't feel it. That would be enough to give it a 6/10 but the thing which makes it worse without giving any spoilers away is that certain things happen which are just so ridiculously stupid, OTT and unbelievable that it ruins the film. They didn't need to do it and could have easily have come up with a more substantial and grounded (pun intended) story.

Stephen 27-06-2021 20:55

Since F8 the stunts and car chases have gotten so ridiculous that it makes you wonder what they can possibly do in the next one.

General Maximus 27-06-2021 21:04

I thought the same thing going into and i would have happily have seen them take a step backwards and do a car, train and lorry mash up. When you see this you are going to want to close your eyes and burry your head in your hands. It has gone from an action film to comedy.

cimt 28-06-2021 02:45

The movies started going OTT in about F4 or 5, which ever one was in Brazil. If you didn't expect them to go even further then you have totally misunderstood what this franchise has become, and why you watch it. Hell, this movie even took the mick with how it had characters discuss how they were invincible with all the jobs they had done and never get seriously injured.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and looked forward to seeing what crazy thing happened next.

Chris 28-06-2021 09:15

Iron Man 2 … for the third time in about 6 months. :D. I decided to go through MCU in timeline order on Disney+, then one of my daughters did and now the other one is doing it. Naturally I have to watch along with them.

As always, it’s an MCU film, so it’s very good, and more importantly now I’ve watched it many many times I can say I’m still enjoying it, which is always a good sign. 8/10.

Pierre 28-06-2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36084620)
Iron Man 2 … for the third time in about 6 months. :D. I decided to go through MCU in timeline order on Disney+, then one of my daughters did and now the other one is doing it. Naturally I have to watch along with them.

As always, it’s an MCU film, so it’s very good, and more importantly now I’ve watched it many many times I can say I’m still enjoying it, which is always a good sign. 8/10.

The suits in the older Iron Man films are better, they’re more mechanical. The nano-bot suits in later films detract away from the fact the suit is a metal mechanical suit - in my opinion.

Chris 28-06-2021 23:11

There’s no doubt that the later MCU films lose what thin veneer of plausibility the early ones might have had in the way their technology was portrayed. By the time you get to Infinity War/Endgame it’s outright science fiction. But for my money they’re probably truer to the spirit of the comic books for all that. Iron Man might just about have been set in our world. By the time you get to Black Panther, you know this is all somewhere else. From a production perspective though it’s also simpler. Iron Man 2 makes great comedy out of Tony trying to get Pepper to throw him the suit-case while he’s being attacked on the race track in Monaco in IM2, but when Ebony Maw appears in New York at the start of Infinty War there’s really no need, from a production point of view, to spend a lot of time focusing on how Tony gets into the suit. Rather the action demands we just get straight past that and onto the fighting. So the nanotech suit helps drive the story in that sense.

General Maximus 02-07-2021 08:46

I loved that moment and I can even remember commenting on it in this thread all those years ago :). It was so cool. I remember sitting in the cinema, you knew all hell was breaking loose and he walked down the street, tugged the cords on his hoodie and you saw the nano suit start to form. I had the biggest smile on my face and said "**** yeah". Time to kick ass..........

Paul 04-07-2021 22:17

The Tomorrow War - 7/10

Actually turned out to be much better than I was expecting. :)

General Maximus 05-07-2021 12:27

I'll agree with that. The time travelling bit was killing me to start off with but then they explained it so it's all good. I would describe the film as a cross between Starship Troopers and Edge of Tomorrow and on par quality wise with Geostorm/Greenland.

Halcyon 05-07-2021 13:41

A blast back to the early 90's but absolutely loved the concept of the choices we make and the impact it has on our lives in "Sliding Doors".

Damien 06-07-2021 19:40

Rewatched the Grand Budapest Hotel: 9/10. Love this film. It's just as fun and enjoyable as I remember every time I watch it.

General Maximus 07-07-2021 11:03

Infinite: 6/10

A good generic scifi action film along the lines of Altered Carbon. Worth a watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I would have been happy seeing it at the cinema

General Maximus 08-07-2021 00:19

Black Widow: 7/10

For some reason I thought this was about her adventures before she joined The Avengers (i.e. a sort of prequel movie) but it isn't. It fits perfects in the MCU and within the timeline. A good quality action movie and where it lacked in scifi glitz and glamour due to the lack of the other adventures it made up for in novel action scenes and different gizzits. It did try in places but it wasn't as humourous as Marvel films normally are.

Still, a welcome addition to the MCU, it has been a long time coming and added some detail and backstory for a main character and you can never have too much of Scarlett Johansson.

There is one post credits scene and it is right at the end of the movie so you'll need to be patient. It is worth waiting for though as it sets something up for the future and if you don't watch this scene you might be scratching your head when it happens and wondering why.

Jaymoss 08-07-2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085536)
Infinite: 6/10

A good generic scifi action film along the lines of Altered Carbon. Worth a watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I would have been happy seeing it at the cinema

watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it 8/10 for me

SnoopZ 08-07-2021 12:43

So are we saying 'Tomorrow War' and 'Infinite' are a good watch?

Jaymoss 08-07-2021 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36085658)

I am saying this but accept others views may differ hehehe

SnoopZ 08-07-2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36085660)
I am saying this but accept others views may differ hehehe

I'll fire Tomorrow War up later and see how it goes, or watch Loki or Justified.

heero_yuy 08-07-2021 17:43

At the weekend on TV (Download 1080p) Apollo 13.

Rated 7.6 at IMDB

I'd say 8/10. Well executed docu-drama without too much schmaltz. Factually correct and very enjoyable.

SnoopZ 09-07-2021 00:00

Just watched The Tomorrow War and I also really enjoyed it, so a solid 8/10 from me.

Jaymoss 09-07-2021 15:48

Black Widow and it is so good 9 / 10 this is what a Janet Bond 008 movie should look like

SnoopZ 10-07-2021 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36085751)
Black Widow and it is so good 9 / 10 this is what a Janet Bond 008 movie should look like

Just finished watching this and I would score similar, post credits need to be watched though.

Chris 10-07-2021 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36085805)
Just finished watching this and I would score similar, post credits need to be watched though.

The coda proves Marvel is quite serious about its Disney+ TV shows properly influencing MCU continuity.

Damien 11-07-2021 18:07

Watched it today. 8/10. Very fun. Especially liked the credits sequence to a cover of Smells like Teen Spirit.

I always find it interesting on these smaller stakes solo films how they work around the fact the hero needs to complete the task themselves rather than call in Thor, Captain America and so on to just end it easily and quickly.

General Maximus 11-07-2021 18:22

Good point. It is the first solo movie we have had in a long time where characters from the other movies haven't crossed over. I would like to think it is due to Scarlett Johansson's pull with the audience but I think Marvel are trying to start phase 4 with a clean slate and give themselves some room to introduce new characters (e.g. her sister) who can grow and feature in future movies.

Jaymoss 11-07-2021 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36085921)
Watched it today. 8/10. Very fun. Especially liked the credits sequence to a cover of Smells like Teen Spirit.

I always find it interesting on these smaller stakes solo films how they work around the fact the hero needs to complete the task themselves rather than call in Thor, Captain America and so on to just end it easily and quickly.

Spoiler: 
She could not as you well know due to the fact this is set right after Civil War and half of them hate the other half and her side are all running away due the Sokovia accord

This ones plot made it easier

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

:bigcry:I will never get over what they did to her in Endgame:bigcry::bigcry:

Pierre 12-07-2021 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36085658)

Tomorrow war was ok.

I watched a movie called Captive State the other day, which I enjoyed very much. Think Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but with an alien invasion back story.

Also just watched Nobody, which is a right hoot, very much in the John Wick vein.

And also just watched Black Widow, which was just unnecessary.

General Maximus 13-07-2021 01:44

I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations. I was quite disappointed with Nobody, I would class it as a children's John Wick.

Jaymoss 14-07-2021 18:53

Gunpowder Milkshake 8/10 female John Wick with humour, really liked it

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36086101)
I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations.

watched this and it was just ok 6/10 just goes to show how we are all different

pip08456 14-07-2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36086101)
I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations. I was quite disappointed with Nobody, I would class it as a children's John Wick.

I too was disappointed with Nobody. It didn't bring what the trailer appeared to promise.

Paul 14-07-2021 22:32

Black Widow 7/10

Not exactly your typical marvel movie, but a good action movie and funny at times.

Jimmy-J 15-07-2021 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36086259)
Gunpowder Milkshake 8/10 female John Wick with humour, really liked it

Very entertaining, lots of influences from the director in there, such as Sergio Leone (spaghetti westerns) including the music, very Ennio Morricone. 8/10 from me.

Damien 19-07-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085923)
Good point. It is the first solo movie we have had in a long time where characters from the other movies haven't crossed over. I would like to think it is due to Scarlett Johansson's pull with the audience but I think Marvel are trying to start phase 4 with a clean slate and give themselves some room to introduce new characters (e.g. her sister) who can grow and feature in future movies.

I rewatched it and I enjoyed it more.

Someone earlier said it's what a female James Bond should be and rewatching that's exactly what this film is. The writers and directors have clearly been inspired by Bond films. There is the dramatic start, the long opening credits (which I don't think Marvel usually do?), Black Widow has someone who gets her gadgets (I.E Q), the globe trotting spy structure and Ray Winstone is channelling a lot of Bond villain energy complete with a powerful henchman. They even have a clip of Moonraker in the film in case anyone thought these homages weren't intentional!

Also Florence Pugh is excellent as she is in most films so it's good she'll be part of the MCU in future.

Jaymoss 19-07-2021 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36086776)

Someone earlier said it's what a female James Bond should be and rewatching that's exactly what this film is. The writers and directors have clearly been inspired by Bond films. There is the dramatic start, the long opening credits (which I don't think Marvel usually do?), Black Widow has someone who gets her gadgets (I.E Q), the globe trotting spy structure and Ray Winstone is channelling a lot of Bond villain energy complete with a powerful henchman. They even have a clip of Moonraker in the film in case anyone thought these homages weren't intentional!

Also Florence Pugh is excellent as she is in most films so it's good she'll be part of the MCU in future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36085751)

Glad I was not the only one caught that haha

Chris 19-07-2021 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36086776)

The Moonraker clip was most certainly a hat-tip towards the Bond franchise, no doubt chosen as it also prefigures the location of the Red Room. There were a couple of other places where I recall thinking that they had inserted an homage or two, maybe a line in the music or dialogue, but I’ll have to see it again to remember. IIRC it should become free to regular Disney subscribers in 3-4 months.

Damien 19-07-2021 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36086778)
The Moonraker clip was most certainly a hat-tip towards the Bond franchise, no doubt chosen as it also prefigures the location of the Red Room. There were a couple of other places where I recall thinking that they had inserted an homage or two, maybe a line in the music or dialogue, but I’ll have to see it again to remember. IIRC it should become free to regular Disney subscribers in 3-4 months.

I think it works in a lot of Bond tropes. Outside of the usual Marvel formula I wouldn't be surprised if Bond was the main other influence on it.

General Maximus 19-07-2021 20:54

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions: 7.5/10

A good sequel and worthy successor to the first movie. If you enjoyed the first one you'll love this one. It is a direct continuation of the story with more elaborate puzzles and some good plot twists. Well worth a watch.

Jaymoss 27-07-2021 14:53

Jolt worth 6/10 however it has Kate Beckinsale kicking ass that easily gives it an extra point for this sad man who still thinks she is smokin ....

General Maximus 27-07-2021 20:33

I love Kate Beckinsale and was all set to watch it but as soon as I saw the trailer I was put right off. I would rather go back and watch the Underworld films again than Jolt.

Jaymoss 27-07-2021 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36087628)
I love Kate Beckinsale and was all set to watch it but as soon as I saw the trailer I was put right off. I would rather go back and watch the Underworld films again than Jolt.

you as well as anyone knows trailers need to be taked with a pinch of salt ;)

General Maximus 27-07-2021 22:54

I can't remember ever seeing a trailer which made the film look worse than it actually was.

Dude111 01-08-2021 05:55

I last saw BUT IM A CHEERLEADER - 1999 on VHS :)

I would say 7/10 -- Its excellent!!

heero_yuy 01-08-2021 18:51

Miami magma on SiFi. Just appalling. no wonder it got a 3.3 on IMDB. Just a good waste of celluloid. Still better than watching children barbecuing

Paul 02-08-2021 00:58

Enola Holmes - 7/10.

Entertaining (and sometimes funny) film, and a nice change from Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

Apparently it did rather well on Netflix, and a sequel is in the works.

tweetiepooh 02-08-2021 10:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ppqpfI4WA

Candle in the dark - dramatisation on the life of the missionary William Carey who came to be called "The Friend of India".

General Maximus 13-08-2021 15:45

Free Guy: 10/10

Somebody poured their heart and soul into the story and characters in this film. From the trailer you get the impression it is an action and special effects extravaganza and it definitely is but it is also so much more than that. I have commented recently in another thread how I don't find most comedies funny because the humour is either too predictable or too stupid to be funny. This film is me down to a T and as expected all the magic is down to Ryan Reynolds. There are some special moments in the film where you spontaneously laugh your ass off but I won't spoil them.

Suffice to say that this is the best film I have seen in the last two years and you should drop any plans you have got for this weekend and get down to the cinema to watch it.

ThunderPants73 20-08-2021 13:52

Death Race 2000 (1975) 2/10.

My mate and I inflict a crappy movie on each other every week, this was his choice. His funeral is next week.

General Maximus 21-08-2021 19:21

Never seen it but I enjoyed the newer one released in the 2000's

Jaymoss 21-08-2021 19:37

Reminiscence. Enjoyed it. Interesting concept

General Maximus 23-08-2021 15:17

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins: 6.5/10

The title is a bit deceiving because it isn't an origin story about the Joe's; they are already up and running as an organisation in this film. Putting the GI Joe story aside, this is a good action movie with lots of martial arts in it set in Japan to add a bit of authenticity and culture.

Paul 02-09-2021 22:22

Avengers: Infinity War, followed by Avengers: Endgame - 5.5 hours the other evening.

Still as good as ever - I really need to go back and watch some of the others again.

General Maximus 02-09-2021 22:33

Dont forget Shang Chi is out tomorrow.

General Maximus 03-09-2021 15:29

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: 9/10

I know a lot of people had misgivings about this film and the trailer didn't exactly make you jump for joy. You'll be pleased to know that it far exceeds expectations and is really really good. I think it is very much a case of they didn't want to give too much away. It ticks every box and exudes the quality and richness which we have come to expect from a Marvel film. In addition to an action packed visual effects spectacle they have done a cracking job with establishing a new character and building his history and back story to the point that you feel like you know him very well by the end of the film. There are some well timed funny moments but the thing which makes the film so special is its blend with the new and the old. It is very much a Chinese film full of culture, mythology, martial arts and some absolutely beautiful choreography with a great soundtrack
Marvel made a big deal about Black Widow, the new characters and the family dynamic and tbh I felt like it was a lot of hot air because it didn't do anything for me. I like the relationship with the sister but the mum, dad and everyone else were just people in the picture. In contrast, this film is full of fully fleshed out deep characters who feel like they mean something and you are completely engrossed in the story and every scene. I can't wait to see more of Shang Chi and especially how he integrates into the MCU and interacts with the other Avengers.

There are two post credit scenes, one in the middle and one right at the end and it goes without saying that both are worth watching.

If you enjoy your Marvel films you'll be doing yourself a grave disservice if you don't go and watch this at the cinema. It is one of those films that just won't be the same either visually or auditory on a tv.

Chris 03-09-2021 15:58

Likely to be seeing it on Sunday afternoon. Without spoiling the plot, though, please tell me: what did this film do to your realism factor?

General Maximus 03-09-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36091988)
what did this film do to your realism factor?

I am glad you asked because I did want to mentioned it and resisted the temptation. The reason I enjoyed the film so much is because so much care and attention to detail went into every aspect of it that at no point during the film did anything stand out and ruin it for me to the extent that I went "hang on, that doesn't make sense/wouldn't happen" etc. I can't stand Awkwafina and she did my head in from the beginning and I was going to call her the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU but she redeemed herself at the end. In all honestly (and seperate from the film ;) ) the second post credit scene did hit my realism factor but I am sure they'll justify it in the next movie and do some flashbacks to explain it all so I am okay with it atm.

Stephen 04-09-2021 00:00

Shang-Chi 8/10

As mentioned above, stunning film mixing martial arts and Chinese mythology into the MCU.

Story was great and the back story to the characters was so well done. Ties in brilliantly to what will be coming next.

Also a surprising return from a preciously seen character that had some good laughs.

Mid credit and post credit scenes are well worth sticking around for.

Chris 05-09-2021 19:38

Shang Chi …. Mind blown. Nods, cameos and perfectly timed comic relief from an entirely appropriate but totally unexpected source. Solid story, well performed and as always with the MCU you are never in any doubt that the broader narrative is also moving forwards and the present instalment has been crafted to respect it, fit into it but also to add to it in new ways. Kevin Fiege and the team make it look easy, and it seems the only reason DC continues making films is to remind us that it isn’t.

I’m really not sure what more I could have wanted from this film, so based on a first cinema viewing I’m giving it 10/10. I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious. But that’s not very likely.

General Maximus 05-09-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36092184)
I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious.

did you spot the bamboo scaffolding ;) That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.

Chris 05-09-2021 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36092185)
did you spot the bamboo scaffolding ;) That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.

I did, and you should allow it to further engorge your realism factor - bamboo scaffolding is still widely used in that part of the world, particularly Hong Kong, which is famous for it, but also across the bay in Macau where that sequence is set.

Hugh 05-09-2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36092185)

Bamboo scaffolding was still being used in India late 90s and early 2010s - I saw it being used in Mumbai and Bhopal.

Paul 06-09-2021 01:09

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, 8/10.

Good action, good story, good comedy.
Great to be back at the cinema for another excellent Marvel film.

:)