Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Dude111 01-06-2018 15:07

I last saw FERRIS BUELLERS DAY OFF (1986) on VHS :)

Excellent movie!!!

General Maximus 06-06-2018 04:06

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 8.5/10

Well this was a pleasant surprise for me. From the trailer I got the impression that it wasn't going to be big on story and just a dinosaur action romp but I was wrong. There is a real story here with depth and continues the overall moral quandaries from JP1. It isn't the nostalgia fest Jurassic World was but it still has many nods to the original, some comedic moments and some intense emotional scenes. I loved it and think it is a very well balanced film. The music and special effects were excellent and this is definitely a cinema worthy film. It is a shame we have had so many blockbusters in such a short period of time because imho this should be released in July during the summer holidays and it would be huge.

Paul 11-06-2018 13:47

Solo: 7/10

I wasnt expecting this to be a classic, and it wasnt - however, it was a good, solid, entertaining sci-fi film.

Dude111 12-06-2018 13:39

Good afternoon Paul :)

I last saw SAVAGE HARVEST (1981) on VHS :)

10/10

Best movie of its kind! (Its like nightmare on elm street with Lions)

General Maximus 14-07-2018 11:32

Skyscraper: 6.5/10

I haven't given 6.5/10 because it is a bad film, it is just your average predictable cheesy Hollywood action film and is on par with something like 2012 and San Andreas. There were a couple of things which niggled at my realism factor at the beginning of the film which shouldn't have happened but they didn't influence the main story so I let them go. The action and special effects were great if not exaggerated :) but the one thing which did annoy me is that there is a particular scene you saw in the trailer which they completely changed in the film and I can only assume they did it to expedite the start of the film and get straight to the disaster. I love the technology of the building though and the whole concept and you would wonder if they are working on something like it now.

I wouldn't spend money on going to see this at the cinema but it is definitely worth a watch and your typical Sunday afternoon entertaining film.

Stephen 15-07-2018 11:45

can't ever go to those type of movies expecting realism or a good script. They are purely all about the action and excitement. I love a good popcorn flick, go in and disengage brain.

Remember though that trailers are there to get you interested in the movie and will frequently feature clips out of context or scenes that may not make it to the final cut.

I will see it next week.

adzii_nufc 24-07-2018 21:44

Skyscraper - 5/10

Meh, as already said, it's acceptable if you can switch off and just let it flow with the Hollywood clichés. Dwayne Johnson needs to be careful though in accepting any old crap for roles. Can go the same way as Jason Statham pretty quickly.

General Maximus 25-07-2018 21:03

Mission Impossible: Fallout 7.5/10

I really enjoyed it, it was a great action film and I love how with each new film the stories and plot twists continue to improve and get more elaborate. I think was No. 6 and I would gladly see them go up to 10 or something. I gave it 7.5/10 because whilst the action scenes were great and there were plenty of moments when you cringe/squirm/say "oh shit" when something happens, it didn't blow me away or have any sort of emotional impact on me which some other films do. Well worth a watch at the cinema though.

General Maximus 02-08-2018 03:41

Ant-man and the Wasp: 7/10

Another solid and good Marvel film and was similar to Spiderman in a way where they steered away from the grandiose bad guy from the first one and dealt with more personal real life issues. It had many comical moments but I didn't feel it was as funny as the first one or other Marvel films but it more than made up for it in other ways though. The novel environments they are in when they are miniaturised and the way they interact with them is excellent and fun to see and the action scenes are excellent. I absolutely love Evangeline Lily (Katie from Lost) and seeing her gorgeous smile is what made the film for me :romance:.

Important note: there are 2 post credit scenes. The first one is a direct tie in to Infinity War and an absolute must see otherwise you won't understand what is going on. The second is funny but easily passable if you don't want to wait till the end/want to leave.

Dude111 02-08-2018 12:37

I last saw Class of 1999 (1989) on VHS :)

9/10

General Maximus 07-08-2018 00:10

The Equalizer 2: 3.5/10

I have got to say that this is probably going to be my biggest disappointment this year. I was really looking forward to this but it doesn't deliver in any regard at all. It isn't as good as the first one, the story is weaker and lacks substance and depth and the film is poorly edited to the extent that during the first third of the film when they are setting things up you are scratching your head trying to work out what they are trying to get at. It is a shame because the first one just got more tense and engrossing as time went on whereas with this one I just wanted it to end and it kept going on and on.

techguyone 07-08-2018 00:24

Interestingly, you're not the only one to say the same, it's a shame, as the first was v good.

Stephen 07-08-2018 09:03

I think this was made purely so Denzel can kick some more butt.

General Maximus 07-08-2018 09:18

He does but the problem is that he doesnt do it as much as he did in the first one

Damien 11-08-2018 21:15

Leave No Trace 8/10. Slow but good film. Watch but only if you have the patience for it as it doesn't 'pay off' or step up that much.

General Maximus 25-08-2018 22:37

2036 Origin Unknown: 0/10
Whatever you do don't waste 1hr 30 mins of your life on it

Patient Zero
: 3/10
On par with World War Z for production quality and the story is full of plot holes. The only thing which stopped me from turning it off half way through was that Natalie Dormer is in it.

I understand that actors who we have never heard of are just grateful for the work and $$$ but I don't understand how people like Stanley Tucci read the script and think "I really want to be in this movie!"

ThunderPants73 03-09-2018 21:52

Oceans Eight.
7/10
Not bad, not great.

General Maximus 03-09-2018 22:19

I wasnt impressed. It had all the ingredients and followed the same formula as the other Oceans movies but something was missing. There just didnt feel like there was any chemistry between the characters and it didnt really matter who they were or where they came from. The Ghostbusters film was the same.

Let this be a lesson that politically correct forced all female cast for the sake of it films dont work and we dont need a female Avengers film to screw things up.

Damien 04-09-2018 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35962215)
Let this be a lesson that politically correct forced all female cast for the sake of it films dont work and we dont need a female Avengers film to screw things up.

A female Avengers film would just be a film combining existing female heroes from the Marvel Universe so it wouldn't be quite the same thing.

General Maximus 04-09-2018 15:24

I know and as much as i would love to see loads of evangeline lilly, zoe zaldana and scarlett johannson all in the same film there would neex to be a very compelling and plausable story line and reason for bringing them together like that. I actually think Marvel would top a cracking job and make sure it is done properly but i still cringe and think it isnt worth the risk. If it went wrong then that would be it. It would be the big stain on the MCU that cannot be removed.

Damien 04-09-2018 15:35

Yeah I can't think of a reason to bring them together. I think a Black Widow film and maybe have characters like Shuri take a bigger role in Black Panther 2.

General Maximus 04-09-2018 15:48

They are making a Black Widow film as part of phase 4.

Damien 08-09-2018 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35962266)
They are making a Black Widow film as part of phase 4.

It's odd that it's taken until next year's release of Captain Marvel for them to have a female-led film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

General Maximus 08-09-2018 09:31

Yeah, i think a Black Widow film would have gone down a treat any time after Avengers 1.

Dude111 12-09-2018 00:40

I last watched THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (1990) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable)

10/10

General Maximus 15-09-2018 19:40

The Predator (2018): 4/10

Okay, so from a positive point of view they tie it in with the narrative from the previous movies and it sort of follows on from there and it finishes on the same note which makes the plot line for any future movies very interesting (and also potentially stupid and OTT).

The problem with this is that it just wasn't serious enough; it is like watching The A-team but with a predator in it. It tries to be too light hearted and humorous from start to finish and it just doesn't work. There are a couple of really funny jokes which I properly laughed at but they were in the right moment when everyone was chilling, relaxed and not in mortal danger. There are too many things which don't make sense and are unrealistic such as hardcore science babe drafted in from University magically becomes a master weapons handler, kicks ass and somehow manages to keep up (on foot) with a spaceship that takes off and subsequently crashes many miles away yet as it crashes, she is there on the ground waiting for it. Other little things which niggled at me were the many many kills the predator racks up and you see loads of blood, weapons noises and something shooting out of his arm but you are left thinking "what was that, what just happened and how did he actually kill them" because you just see heads falling off bodies.

Definitely not worth spending money to see at the cinema and is very much on par with Geostorm in terms of the calibre of the film if you would like something to compare it with. It is more pants than it is good.

Stephen 15-09-2018 20:29

Don't slate geostorm lol. I've watched it a couple of times and do enjoy it. Yes it's a bit silly but it's at least entertaining.

Have been expecting Predator to be bad.

Hugh 15-09-2018 23:24

Destination Wedding.

Keane Reeves and Winona Ryder - very gentle, slow moving, acerbic, and funny film.

Really enjoyed it, and snorted red wine out of my nose at one point - not what I was expecting, but very glad we watched it.

180 degrees from John Wick.

Stephen 18-09-2018 11:35

The Predator - 6/10

Not as bad as I was expecting, relatively enjoyable and a few good laughs and some references to the previous films.

There are a few dreadful plot holes and somethings that just don't make sense. I am guessing this comes from the heavy reshoots and different edits the film went through. Check the trailers and there is some scenes blatently different or not in the film at all.

Best thing is to disengage your brain and have fun.

Dude111 20-09-2018 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen
Have been expecting Predator to be bad.

Seems like everything they come out with now is bad huh mate?? (I love the first 1987 movie with the terminator in it)

Kinda sad......

I last watched THE PRINCIPAL (1987) on VHS :)

10/10

I think this is James BEST movie.....

Stephen 20-09-2018 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35963665)
Seems like everything they come out with now is bad huh mate?? (I love the first 1987 movie with the terminator in it)

Kinda sad......

I last watched THE PRINCIPAL (1987) on VHS :)

10/10

I think this is James BEST movie.....

Not every new film is bad.

Also Predator with Arnie was 1987 ;)

adzii_nufc 21-09-2018 16:32

It's not even relatively close to every new film is bad. Just a random check of IMDB post 2010, there's 250+ with a 7+ rating, I'd personally agree with the vast majority listed.

Mission Impossible: Fallout 6/10 - Don't think it was as good as the recent modern ones. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation were better in my opinion.

A revisit to Wonder Woman, my second watch 8/10. Still the best new universe DC movie in my opinion. By new I mean starting from Man of Steel which in its own right was a fair adaption of Superman.

adzii_nufc 03-10-2018 22:34

Venom 6.5/10

General Maximus 03-10-2018 22:45

Bizarrely i havent seen it yet. I have been to see all other marvel movies on opening day but the trailer for this left me feeling "meh" and not overly excited because it isnt part of the mcu. I will go and see it but it wont be for another week or so.

adzii_nufc 04-10-2018 11:16

Only gets a 6 for Tom Hardy saving it. The more I let it sink in a bit the more I realise its a 5 at best. Could very easily be the 2/10 critics are giving it if you scrutinise the pretty poor plot, poor finale and underwhelming character design.

This really should have set a far darker tone than it did and quickly descends into pure comedy crap rather than a potential action horror. Again the only saving grace is Tom Hardy seemingly making an effort to make this mess work.

Ultimately, Sony doing what Sony does best. Nothing.

General Maximus 05-10-2018 19:56

yeah, they should really give up trying to do stuff like this and just let Marvel do it and pay them a license fee/royalty as a % of the profits of the film. They would make a tonne more money that way.

Stephen 06-10-2018 22:54

A Star Is Born - 8/10

Phenomenal performances from Cooper and Gaga.

General Maximus 06-10-2018 23:08

He is a cracking actor and fantastic in everything he is in. I loved American Sniper.

Stephen 06-10-2018 23:37

I didn't know he could sing let alone sing as good as he can. The soundtrack is amazing.

It was also his directorial debut. I predict Oscars next year.

denphone 13-10-2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35965304)
Venom 6.5/10

So not as good as the hype then?

Damien 13-10-2018 21:41

Utøya - 8/10. Really difficult film to watch.

Damien 16-10-2018 09:31

Roma - 10/10. Great film, it's a shame it's going right to Netflix really because it deserves a big screen and sound system. Quite long though so patience is required.

Russ 16-10-2018 09:47

Loose Change - American Coupe 7/10

It’s more a documentary than a film but this is the 4th edition of Loose Change. It explores the idea that 9/11 was either an inside job or that the US government knew far more about it than people were told.

I’m not really a conspiracy type and I’m not saying I agree with what LC suggests but it will make you think a lot.

peanut 20-10-2018 00:19

Halloween (2018) 7.5 / 10
It was done well, a good 'sequel' for the original. 40 years later though.....

The Night Comes For Us. 2018 (Netflix) 9.5 / 10
Wow what an action packed ultra violent film. It's like 'The Raid' but cranked right up. You don't watch a film like this for the story too much. If you liked 'the Raid' and you like extreme bone crunching violence then it's hard to beat. Great fun.

denphone 21-10-2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35967148)
Halloween (2018) 7.5 / 10
It was done well, a good 'sequel' for the original. 40 years later though.....

The original was truly one of the most iconic horror films of his day.

Hugh 28-10-2018 21:14

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Really enjoyed it, a balanced mix of humour and emotion, with cracking music.

ThunderPants73 14-11-2018 14:38

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Just bought all 3 on Blue ray.

10/10

ThunderPants73 29-12-2018 11:51

The Happytime Murders.

7.5/10 Actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Hugh 30-12-2018 19:30

Spider-Man:into the Spiderverse - 8/10.

Really enjoyable film, a couple of laugh out loud lines - would strongly recommend it.

General Maximus 30-12-2018 19:44

Aquaman: 7.5/10

I wasn't expecting much and thought Wonder Woman was just a blip but it was actually very good. They followed the same formula as Wonder Woman which isn't a bad thing and did the coming of age thing showing you him as a boy growing up and as we progressed through the film they expanded on the Atlantean culture and society and it all adds depth to the story and characters and make it more believable. The cgi was very good but the lighting/brightness/shininess underwater was going to bug me and hit my realism radar but they explained it away with their eye sight and vision and how they adapt to the underwater environment and I was okay with that.
Jason Momoa made the character in terms of the attitude and definitely the fight scenes. It was refreshing to have normal foes for once and not generic CGI bad guys. All round it is a good film and I would definitely go to see Aquaman 2.

The only niggle I have and this is a first, is the soundtrack. I think throughout the entire film you literally had 20 seconds when there was just silence and no music playing in one form or another. It was constant from start to finish and flipped between normal orchestral and something which sounded like they had ripped it straight out of Thor Ragnarok.

Damien 30-12-2018 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35977343)
Spider-Man:into the Spiderverse - 8/10.

Really enjoyable film, a couple of laugh out loud lines - would strongly recommend it.

I saw this yesterday. Best comic book movie of the year IMO. Preferred it to Infinity War. 9/10.

Shoplifters - 8/10

Tinky 31-12-2018 08:57

Philomena 10/10 Heartbreaking story of a baby that was sold against the mother's wishes to rich Americans, and the mother's efforts to trace her son. Oscar deserving performance by Judi Dench'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux14UBZR2y0

denphone 09-01-2019 06:32

Well it looks like this film won't be happening this year at least.

https://www.worldofreel.com/2019/01/...paramount.html

Quote:

Director S.J. Clarkson's "Star Trek 4" has been shelved, at least that's what Deadline is reporting in their annual assessment of upcoming Paramount projects for 2019.

Stephen 09-01-2019 08:05

I knew that would happen. When there is a falling out over cast and pay it doesn't always end well.

That happened months ago. Just rebóot the movies again lol. Start over.

denphone 09-01-2019 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35978510)
I knew that would happen. When there is a falling out over cast and pay it doesn't always end well.

That happened months ago. Just rebóot the movies again lol. Start over.

Yes there were strong rumours this would happen sadly.

Oops just realised l posted this in the wrong thread.:dunce:

General Maximus 09-01-2019 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35978510)
Just rebóot the movies again lol. Start over.

fantastic idea and this gives them an excuse to do it. I would love to see them move back to classic trek as we know it. If I won the euro millions last week I would go halves with them on production cost as an incentive for them to do it and mitigate any potential losses.

Damien 12-01-2019 19:18

Stan and Ollie - 8/10. Fun film, interesting with some depth. Relatively short which is a welcome break from the 2 hour+ epics film makers seem to think we should all watch.

Damien 26-01-2019 19:18

Vice - 6/10. Meh, a bit all over the place IMO. It just seems to drag at parts later on and you're wondering where it's going or why. Bale is v good though.

General Maximus 26-01-2019 20:09

I am going to start watching the Oscar films this week and I think I'll watch Vice first because I love Christian Bale.

Whatever you do don't watch Mortal Engines, it is the worst film I have seen in years and best example I can think of for comparison is Snowpiercer if you have seen it.

Mr K 26-01-2019 22:23

Stan and Ollie 10/10. Good in every way.
( Mind you, I haven't been to the pictures since 'Jurrassic Park', so I'm probably easily impressed !)

heero_yuy 27-01-2019 12:04

Sebastiane - 1976 (IMDB entry)

7/10

An interesting study of male relationships. Notable for its dialog being in (authentic) Latin. I had a tape from when it was shown on TV (to outrage) but this was a 1080P download. If you can get past the opening dance scene for emperor Diocletian you'll watch it all.

Trivia: When asked about the film's nudity, director Derek Jarman replied "We couldn't afford costumes."

Jimmy-J 27-01-2019 15:05

Polar - Brilliantly OTT and Nutty. I loved it! 9/10 (Casting was a bit naff, I mean come on, Matt Lucas?)

Dude111 29-01-2019 09:02

I last saw FINAL DESTINATION (2000) on VHS :)

3/10 -- I hadnt seen it in so long... I had forgotton I had seen it and when I watched it again I knew why.... Not that good!!

General Maximus 29-01-2019 09:34

Funnily enough something happened at work on Friday which made me think about them. I enjoyed them for what they were and can remember seeing the first one at the cinema with my friends. I havent seen any of them since the last one came out which was number 5 i think and that must have been 2011 ish. As an fyi last i heard they are making a new one.

starlingemotional 31-01-2019 11:05

Last movie I saw was Alpha (2018)

Pretty nice and inoffensive story about a boy befriending a wolf! Was all in subtitles, as the story was set like 20,000 years ago, which was an interesting move. Thought they might just speak English and not care about historical accuracy :D But was glad the main wolf was not a CGI creation, as it would have fell flat. Was exciting and kept me entertained all the way through.

4/5

General Maximus 02-02-2019 20:56

Escape Room (2019): 6/10

In the past I have given films 6/10 because they were on the verge of being bad or something was wrong with them. There isn't anything wrong with this film and I was happy to keep watching it to see what happened because it kept your on the edge of your seat. The only thing which stopped it from getting a higher score was lack of substance in the story but I think the entire horror genre suffers from that imho. It is defo worth a watch if you like the mystery/detective type films/series and like to think and suss stuff about while you are watching. I thought this would be a standalone film but the closing scene makes you think there is more to it so I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. It has already made $80m and it couldn't have cost that much to make.

General Maximus 06-02-2019 18:34

Alita: Battle Angel: 8/10
A beautiful film with a great story. I would describe it as fantasy scifi and I know some will argue it is predictable in the direction it goes (without giving away any spoilers) but I loved it. I loved the story, the action scenes were kick ass and the special effects and motion capture were out of this world; she looks real.

The only thing which is bugging me is that I didn't realise it is going to be a trilogy so as we were approaching the end of the film I was expecting a punch up with the big bag but instead I got a cliff hanger :rolleyes: so be warned.

If you have seen the trailer and are remotely interested in the film don't wait to download it or come out on bluray, go and see it at the cinema in all its glory and preferable in 3D.

Hugh 06-02-2019 18:40

*Alita: Battle Angel* in IMAX 3D.

Definitely worth seeing, great action, seamless special effect, good story - 7 or 8 out of 10.

It wasn’t "Avenger: Infinity War" or "Thor: Ragnarok", but still a very good film.

General Maximus 06-02-2019 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35982334)
*Alita: Battle Angel* It wasn’t "Thor: Ragnarok"

you are right, it is a million times better :p:

Stephen 07-02-2019 12:18

Stan & Laurel - 9/10

Fantastic film, telling the story of their career in later year after their popularity dwindled. Very interesting and honestly the two lead actors are amazing in the roles.

denphone 08-02-2019 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35982403)
Stan & Laurel - 9/10

Fantastic film, telling the story of their career in later year after their popularity dwindled. Very interesting and honestly the two lead actors are amazing in the roles.

Given the very good reviews this has had l am looking forward to seeing this as l had some doubts as to how good this film would turn out to be.

Paul 11-02-2019 21:20

Alita (Battle Angel) - 7 / 10.

I didnt have high hopes for this - and am happy to say my expectations of it being poor were not met.

It was actually quite good, and far better than I had expected. It was a litle slow getting started, and I think they could have cut down some of the first 30 minutes, but after that, it got going, and was quite enjoyable.

Stephen 12-02-2019 19:11

Happy Death Day - 7/10

Pretty decent and funny in places for being a 'slasher'

Girl gets murdered on her birthday and wakes to relive the day again and again, until she works out who the killer is. Basically Groundhog Day with murder.

Damien 13-02-2019 21:55

Green Book 7/10.

A bit paint by numbers and you can see why people were complaining about the way they handled race but I enjoyed it. It was well made. Certainly more than Vice! I could have watched it for longer, the interaction between the two actors/characters was enjoyable.

adzii_nufc 14-02-2019 12:58

Overlord - 9/10. Unsure why it bombed at the box office. Has next to no chance of a sequel.

Aquaman - 8/10. Further evidence that DC solo movies can be way better than the Justice League team ups.

peanut 14-02-2019 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35983194)
Overlord - 9/10. Unsure why it bombed at the box office. Has next to no chance of a sequel.

I'll give that a 6.5 at best. It's one of those films that's nothing like the trailer. I was left disappointed.

Damien 17-02-2019 16:56

Lego Movie 2 - 8/10 - Great fun!
Bohemian Rhapsody 7/10 - Decent although I think it depends strongly on the soundtrack. Plot wise it was a bit all over the place IMO.
Caperneum 9/10 - Depressing but v good film.

Stephen 19-02-2019 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35983437)
Lego Movie 2 - 8/10 - Great fun!
Bohemian Rhapsody 7/10 - Decent although I think it depends strongly on the soundtrack. Plot wise it was a bit all over the place IMO.
Caperneum 9/10 - Depressing but v good film.

It was trying to cover about 13+ years of the bands history so a lot to fit in a movie so they did have to pick and choose what to cover and did change a few things for 'movie' reasons. It was very well done however IMO.

admars 20-02-2019 22:43

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 9/10
Meant to see it at Christmas, didn't get round to it, sort of glad I didn't, as half term kids showing it's £3.75 each, so for 4 of us that's a big saving :)
Anyway, missus and I loved it, kids were quiet and sat pretty still for 2 hrs, so I think they liked it to :)

Damien 20-02-2019 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35983757)
It was trying to cover about 13+ years of the bands history so a lot to fit in a movie so they did have to pick and choose what to cover and did change a few things for 'movie' reasons. It was very well done however IMO.

Yeah. I think they wanted to make a Freddie Mercury film but Queen only licensed the music if it cover the whole band so as a result you have this. It was caught between trying to do the Freddie Mercury film or doing a Queen film and didn't commit to either. IMO. Still enjoyed it.

General Maximus 26-02-2019 17:21

Cold Pursuit: 4/10

The more and more I think about this film the more annoyed I get. I went to watch it thinking it is going to be another Taken/Non-stop/The Commuter but it isn't. It tries to be and fails big time. The first half kicks off as you would expect and is all Liam Neeson and then in the second half he is hardly in it and there is a very large group of other people knocking heads together. There is a lot of dark humour in it which is very much an acquired taste but the killer is that some characters leave/move away/disappear etc like it is a big part of the story but you don't actually find out where they have gone. It is weird.

You defo don't need to spend money on this at the cinema. The best thing about it is sitting in awe wondering where they filmed it because you have never seen so much snow.

Damien 04-03-2019 20:10

Fighting with my Family 8/10 - Very enjoyable film.

Mr K 04-03-2019 20:48

Man from Uncle (2015) 2/10 yawntastic.
Battle of Britain (1969) 9/10 They certainly don't like it up them !
Notes on a Scandal (2006) 7/10. Judi Dench being rude :)

denphone 05-03-2019 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35985305)
Man from Uncle (2015) 2/10 yawntastic.
Battle of Britain (1969) 9/10 They certainly don't like it up them !
Notes on a Scandal (2006) 7/10. Judi Dench being rude :)

A true classic that is for sure..

General Maximus 08-03-2019 04:16

Captain Marvel: 9/10

Before I talk about the film I want to impress upon everyone the need for silence and concentration at the beginning of the film. When the trailers finish and the BBFC certification comes up pay attention because there is something very special. Everyone clapped and cheered in my screen.

I don't know where to start on this, obviously expectations were high. It delivered in every way and I am not just saying it because it is Marvel. This film had a lot to contend with. It has come after many years of films, hundreds of established characters and had to go up against all that and hold its own. It is a fantastic origin story, it takes advantage of the fact that there are many things that we already know about the MCU and builds on it.
Tbh I was a bit confused by the trailer (without giving any spoilers away) because it lead you to believe something which I thought was different from what I knew from Guardians and Agents of Shield so it was great to see some twists to keep things interesting considering it is a sort of prequel movie and you think you know a lot of what should happen and how things should turn out.
I loved Brie Larson, she was absolutely perfect. I was worried she was going to be a macho superhero to try and compete with Captain America and Thor etc but she isn't. She is very sweet and gentile but kicks ass when she needs to. Samuel L Jackson was fantastic and it was great to see more of Nick Fury because in previous films he was one of those characters you felt like you never got enough of. The other little touch I loved was seeing Coulson again. He might not be a major character for some people because it has been yonks since we saw him in the MCU but he is a major character in Agents of Shield and very much the devoted and loyal soldier that Nick Fury is. I thought it was perfect that they had him in this and sewed the seeds for the future relationship that we know.
The humour is excellent in this one. By now you would think you have seen and heard it all but this film brings a whole new repertoire. There are the quipy one liners that we are used to but most of the humour is genuinely hilarious and takes advantage of the time period or things we know about the characters or events from the future. It is very cleverly done and I loved it.
It goes without saying that the special effects and action scenes were superb. There are some punch up scenes which you have seen in the trailers and featurettes and they look real and flow seamlessly; there is one point I squirmed for poor Samuel L Jackson.

All round superb film, fantastic origin story and out of all the MCU origin stories I would put this second behind Captain America for me. By the time the film has finished you are pumped for Endgame and if they were doing another showing at 3am I would gladly have stayed sat down and watched it again. I am just glad I planned ahead and I have got a ticket to go and see it again this afternoon :)

There are two post credit scenes. The first one is they key one which you need to see but the second one is definitely worth waiting all the way till the end for.

Keep your eyes peeled, I'll make a separate post somewhere letting everyone know but now that Captain Marvel is out I am expecting the tickets for Endgame to go up for advanced booking at some point within the next week and there should be a double bill with Infinity War going in to a midnight premiere.

Damien 08-03-2019 07:37

Is the 'special' thing part of the BBFC certification or just before/after?

General Maximus 08-03-2019 10:49

Immediately after when the film normally starts. I want to give you a hint but it will spoil it and i dont want to because once again Marvel have put a lot of thought and effort into something and proven that they do what they do because they care.

Damien 08-03-2019 12:37

I wondered if the BBFC had snuck an Easter egg or tribute to Stan Lee (which is still what I am going to assume it is)

General Maximus 08-03-2019 12:52

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2019/03/5.jpg

Hugh 08-03-2019 16:00

Captain Marvel - 9/10

Outstanding film, and very well done - funny, great action, and good acting - make sure you get there for the film beginning, as it’s so worth it; stay until the end credits as well.

Have to say, seeing the Avengers: Endgame trailer in 3D IMAX blew me away - gave it a completely different feel.

Damien 08-03-2019 16:58

You're all gonna be so angry when the twist of Endgame is that the entire MCU has been a dream.

Damien 09-03-2019 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35985686)
Immediately after when the film normally starts. I want to give you a hint but it will spoil it and i dont want to because once again Marvel have put a lot of thought and effort into something and proven that they do what they do because they care.

Yes that was a nice touch. No reaction in my screening but it wasn't busy.

I liked the film, real fun. I loved all the 1990s stuff including the soundtrack. Not much else to say about it but it does set up Endgame now and without spoiling anything you can see why her character could be useful in the film.

Also the movie has rebuked the 'fan' campaign against it by having a massive opening weekend: https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain...ds-1202571905/

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Oh I learned they also reshot Stan Lee's cameo (well, Captain Marvel's reaction to his cameo) after his death.

General Maximus 09-03-2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35985849)
Also the movie has rebuked the 'fan' campaign against it by having a massive opening weekend

good, I am hoping it does over $1bn and at least as well as Black Panther. It makes sense that everyone who went to see Infinity War would want to see Captain Marvel.

Damien 09-03-2019 20:48

Just as a business I am interested to see how well Endgame does. I think it's probably going to beat Star Wars: A Force Awakens for biggest gross of all time (not adjusting for inflation) and best Infinity War for biggest opening weekend. But then we have the third Star Wars film this year too. Disney know how to make money.

General Maximus 09-03-2019 21:04

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time

Damien 09-03-2019 21:06

Yup: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Sorry I get mixed up between US and Worldwide Box Offices.

General Maximus 09-03-2019 21:14

For anyone who is interested:

Without sounding like a dick I hope it takes the No. 3 spot from Star Wars. The new trilogy of films has received mixed opinion and I think everyone will agree that there are things like they about each film and things they don't like. In contrast, the MCU films are absolutely fantastic and the Avengers films especially are perfect so Endgame deserves to break some records to send the finale out with a big bang. I am very confident it is going to get the extra few million that Infinity War didn't to knock Star Wars off the No. 3 spot. What would be amazing is if it gets the extra boost and can knock Titanic off the No. 2 position and then you'll have two of the best films ever in the top two spots and they are both sci-fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35985864)
Disney know how to make money.

Don't even get me started. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the office of the dude who is responsible for scheduling and releases. This year "Disney" have got Captain Marvel, Endgame, Spiderman, Star Wars, Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 (and maybe the two X-men films depending what is happening with the Fox acquisition). Each of those films is going to gross $1bn+ (maybe not Spiderman) and that is without the extra $10bn per film in merchandising etc. I hope Forbes or whoever keeps track of this stuff does some number crunching and does an article about Disney's revenue this year from the cinema because it is going to be ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35985849)
you can see why her character could be useful in the film

I was thinking about that because given what she did at the end of the film you would think Thanos et al wouldn't stand a chance so it makes you wonder is going to happen because at the end of Endgame I thought it was leaning to a redemption arc. He had finally achieved what he set out to but he appeared to realise the cost of his actions in losing Gamora. I suppose clicking your fingers and changing reality or going back in time and undoing things is too much of an easy fix.

DocDutch 11-03-2019 08:28

Thought the tribute to Stan was brilliantly done also the last teaser was quite funny on captain marvel

Now just have to wait till the 25th of April

General Maximus 08-04-2019 16:15

Shazam: 4/10

I know everyone is going to slap me down for this but it is not good. The best way to describe it is as a film for 8-10 years old. It is a simple hero wannabe film with the simplest of plot lines to keep the children happy and that is it. They were many many one liners in the script which you know are supposed to be funny and aren't, nobody laughed. I smiled once in the finale and that was it. I can sum it up by saying weak story, weak script and weak acting and it isn't worth me saying any more.

You seriously do not need to waste your time watching this, not even when it is available by alternative means.

Stephen 08-04-2019 16:25

Shazam! - 7/10

Really fun and a good contrast to the other DC movies that are all dark and depressing.

So many good elements and Zachary Levi was brilliant. If you know the comics then they did a great service to the character.