Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

General Maximus 05-05-2017 08:46

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35897572)
Is it as good as the first film?.

100 times better.

denphone 07-05-2017 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35897577)
I thought it was, and very funny.

Usually sequels disappoint but from all accounts this one certainly won't.

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35897587)
100 times better.

Probably a slight exaggeration but l believe you.:)

ThunderPants73 07-05-2017 10:50

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

7/10 Not as good as the first, dragged on quite a bit in some places. Not much of a plot. Hopefully 3 will be better. Drax was funny though.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35893111)
l have heard its pretty good although some critics don't seem to like it that much.

The only two things that would have tempted me to watch Ghost in the Shell is if they used the musical score from the the original movie (which was stunning) and used ANYONE ELSE but SJ, she looks like a blow-up doll. IMO.

Stephen 08-05-2017 15:20

Fast & Furious 8 7/10

Mostly enjoyable but I think they are making some of the action scenes a bit too OTT and they are totally unbelievable now.

General Maximus 09-05-2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35898039)
Fast & Furious 8 7/10
I think they are making some of the action scenes a bit too OTT and they are totally unbelievable now.

I thought that 4 films ago :p: I did think it looked stupid when I saw the trailer and was umming and arring about seeing it at the cinema but seeming as though I get to go for free I thought why now. I actually thought it was very and agree with your 7/10. It is just an excellent action packed and entertaining film and tries to do nothing more. I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face and thinking and I had just seen a film which I thoroughly enjoyed. It isn't one of those films which you get emotionally invested in don't really care about the characters (well I don't anyway), I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the entertainment value.

As an example looking back at the films I have seen this year and last year, I would put it on par with John Wick 2, Kong: Skull Island, Jack Reacher 2 and The Accountant.

General Maximus 12-05-2017 03:35

Alien: Covenant: 5/10

It is okay as a generic sci-fi action but it is by far my least favourite out of all the Alien films purely because of how unrealistic the whole story is and it just spoils the movie.
I have harped on in multiple threads many times before about how "realistic" something is and for me to enjoy it it has to be realistic. Now when I say realistic, I am not talking about the premise of the world/situation because stuff like Aliens obviously doesn't exist. When I talk about realism I am talking about the character's behaviour. If they do something or react to something which you know just wouldn't happen and they do it for the sake of the plot then it is unrealistic and I can't enjoy the film because it wouldn't happen. This is why I don't like most horror movies because you always have some idiot hearing a noise and walking into a pitch black building/room/corridor unarmed when two of their friends have already been killed so they can find out what the noise is.
With regards to this film, a colossal series of failures and lapses in judgement had to occur at every level in order for the story to pan out the way it did.

Before I start let me make a point. Think of the vetting process, screening and training NASA pilot/astronauts go through for years before any mission and all the rules and protocols in place so they know exactly what to do in the event of any situation.

Spoiler: 
At the beginning of Aliens the very first thing Daniels says to the captain when they find the planet is "we have spent 10 years searching for our planet, taken scans etc etc" so if you had spent all that time searching for a planet, taking scans and making sure it was safe you, surely you wouldn't take the risk of landing on some random planet, especially when your goal is to setup up a colony to propagate the human species and the planet you are looking at has potential signs of life.
After this point everything is just failures in security and quarantine protocol. From the get go when the first dude became ill the captain should have told Covenant to leave. I'll let the quarantine breach go on the drop ship when the pilot opened the door because the ship exploded and they all died anyway. As soon as that happened even Daniels should have stepped up for the sake of the greater mission and instructed the ship to abandon them. We are up to two command failures so far. Putting self preservation aside on the part of the ground crew, the third in command on Covenant knowing what was happening should have left them and continued with the mission. He failed to do so and put his personal feelings first but even then, the forth officer should have used common sense and not provided override authority to put the ship into lower orbit. Command failures at four levels which just wouldn't happen!
After all this, when the third in command piloted the cargo ship to the ground for evac and the alien jumps on board, he should have crashed the ship knowing that the alien posed an unacceptable risk to the mission and Covenant. Even if he didn't think about it, Daniels should have made the decision and basically said "we have done our best and failed and now it is time to do the right thing".

There are a couple of other things which bugged me but I won't dwell on them. Given the massive security risk/threat David posed, why didn't Daniels at the very least ask Walter "what happened to David?" when they got back?

Anways, rant over :) I have seen quite a few films this year that I had little niggles with but didn't bug me enough to moan about them, especially not enough to do it as soon as I got home and at 3 in the morning but this just does my head in.

denphone 12-05-2017 05:35

Personally l don't think any of the Alien films since the first one have matched up to that wonderful classic General.

General Maximus 12-05-2017 10:52

Aliens is my favourite. Going back to this "realism" thing, I don't enjoy watching any film where a group of untrained civilians with no weaponry has to survive/compete against a formidable foe, especially one of the ultimate bad asses of all time (aliens). I love Aliens so much (even out of most sci-fi/horror films in general) because you have got a group of highly trained marines with all the weaponry they want trying to kick ass and survive. They do their very best and still don't make it but it is still more realistic a story for me to watch. If you have got a group of civilians or scientists up against them then I don't need to watch the film because I can tell you what is going to happen ;).
Although the more recent AvP and Predators films got a hammering I love them purely for this reason, especially Predators. You have got a group of people put together specifically to give the Predators a run for their money.

Paul 12-05-2017 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35898465)
Personally l don't think any of the Alien films since the first one have matched up to that wonderful classic General.

Actually, I thought the second one (Aliens) was the best of them.

denphone 12-05-2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35898518)
Actually, I thought the second one (Aliens) was the best of them.

Yes it was not too bad as it certainly had more action in but l loved the claustrophobic tense feel of the first film a bit more.

adzii_nufc 13-05-2017 01:53

The fate of the furious. 8/10

Solidifies itself as the premium action franchise if that's your thing.

denphone 13-05-2017 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35898611)
The fate of the furious. 8/10

Solidifies itself as the premium action franchise if that's your thing.

Personally its fine and alright to watch but l need a bit more then that when l am watching a film.

General Maximus 01-06-2017 03:39

Wonder Woman is really really good and I strongly recommend it. I have been racking my brains big time on the way back from the cinema trying to decide how to score it. In terms of how impressed I was I really wanted to give it an 8/10 but then when I started to put it along side Marvel films I realised it was missing a little something.

It knocks the socks off all the other DC movies big time and Gal Gadot's performance is superb. The conviction and innocence she brings to the characters is amazing and she literally makes the film what it is and it is for this reason I wanted to score it so highly.

I have never seen the tv series so I knew nothing of the story or character and when I saw the trailers for the movie I was worried it was going to be a Captain America rip off (I don't know which one came first). The story is definitely different enough that it can stand on its own as this is more mythological and has gods in it which is interesting. The only reason I can't give it an 8/10 is because Marval always manage to strike the perfect balance between the drama and serious story line and yet slip in some genuinely hilarious comedic moments. They try it in Wonder Woman and it doesn't really work. I feel it deserves more than 7/10 though so it is going to get a solid 7.5/10 and I am definitely going to see it a few more times at the cinema.

Quite sadly though (for Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot) I think DC have shot themselves in the foot. I have been to many midnight premieres for the Star Treks, Star Wars, all the Marvel movies plus more over the years and this was the least busy I have been to. There were three 2d performances and two 3d performances scheduled for midnight and they consolidated them to one screen each. There were only 7 people including myself in the 3d showing and about 100 in the 2d apparently. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come because this film is well worth the watch. Poor ticket sales might give DC a kick up the ass and teach them a lesson on how to do things properly (i.e. you don't do ensemble cast movies before the origin stories) but I really hope they do a second movie in the present.

One little gripe as DC is obviously playing catch up.; they are once again copying Marvel and have done their own 3D logo at the beginning of the film with the DC universe characters on it. It loses its impact because you look at it and think "you have copied Marvel and the Marvel one is better".

:luv: for Gal Gadot

Stephen 01-06-2017 06:57

Wonder Woman first appeared in October 1941. I think Captain America first appeared in March 1941.

Their backatories are of course titally different so don't think they can be compared.

Paul 01-06-2017 17:20

I hope 3D dies a death, its horrible and I wont watch anything that uses it.

Went to the cinema over here as they did a special English screening of the new Pirates of the Caribbean.

It was better than expected and much better than the last one, 6.5 / 10.

General Maximus 01-06-2017 17:37

I like it when it is used effectively. The Marvel, Star Trek and Pizar films look fantastic in 3d. I have only ever seen Avatar in 3d. I think i went to see it at the cinema 9 times and then i bought an active 3d tv and 3d bluray player and bose surround sound system so i could watch it again.

General Maximus 09-06-2017 14:45

The Mummy: 6/10

Wasn't what I expected it tbh. It was nice and dark which is what I was hoping for but they tried to blend it in with some cheesy moments like the Brendon Fraser movies and it just didn't work. Like Batman vs Superman, this is clearly supposed to setup the Universal Cinematic Universe (which I know nothing about) with Jekyll and Hyde and it doesn't do anything for me.

ThunderPants73 09-06-2017 15:07

The new xXx movie. 2/10 Tripe.

General Maximus 09-06-2017 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35902513)

It is on my to do list and I have been putting it off because I was worried about that. I watched the new Underworld film last night and didn't think much of it. I still need to watch Resident Evil and xXx and I am not expecting much from them either. If you would like a pleasant surprise though, you should watch John Wick 2.

Hugh 09-06-2017 16:04

Wonder Woman in IMAX 3D - really enjoyed it.

8/10

adzii_nufc 11-06-2017 18:04

The Mummy - 3/10

Yep despite saying in the other thread that the trailer put me off, I still gave it a chance and of course it failed miserably. I actually liked Brendan Fraser's versions, the theme, the setting, everything. This was nothing remotely close and was merely Mission Impossible: Mummy Protocol.

General Maximus 11-06-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35902868)
This was nothing remotely close and was merely Mission Impossible: Mummy Protocol.

lol that is great, I hope it gets used as a quote for a review somewhere.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2017 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35902881)
lol that is great, I hope it gets used as a quote for a review somewhere.

I actually got it from elsewhere. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZbgOPNK1E

General Maximus 12-06-2017 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35902505)
Like Batman vs Superman, this is clearly supposed to setup the Universal Cinematic Universe (which I know nothing about) with Jekyll and Hyde and it doesn't do anything for me.

From Foxnews:

Quote:

Warner Bros.' "Wonder Woman" wrapped up Cruise's "The Mummy" at the weekend box office, pulling in an estimated $57.2 million in North American theaters, according to studio estimates Sunday. Universal's "The Mummy" looked its age, selling a relatively feeble $32.2 million in tickets in its debut weekend.

That couldn't compete with "Wonder Woman" in its second weekend. The Gal Gadot superhero film, directed by Patty Jenkins, has quickly earned $205 million domestically in two weeks.
The poor North American opening for "The Mummy," which cost an estimated $125 million to produce, meant a weak start for Universal's ballyhooed "Dark Universe."
"The Mummy" is intended to launch a new, Marvel-style connected franchise that resurrects many of the famous monster characters — including Frankenstein, Dracula and The Invisible Man —from the studio's vaults.
Universal could still point to strong ticket sales overseas, where "The Mummy" grossed $141.8 million in 63 territories, including $52.2 million in China. According to Universal, it's the biggest worldwide opening for Cruise, whose star power shines brightest internationally where audiences have been more forgiving of the actor's baggage.
But critics slammed the film, directed by Alex Kurtzman; it has a dismal 17 percent "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences agreed, giving "The Mummy" a B-minus CinemaScore.
Universal distribution executives trumpeted the film's international performance while acknowledging the North American gross left something to be desired. But should there be any doubt, it's still full-steam ahead for the Dark Universe. Johnny Depp is already signed up to play the Invisible Man, as is Javier Bardem to play Frankenstein's Monster. "Beauty and the Beast" director Bill Condon is set to helm "Bride of Frankenstein."

denphone 13-06-2017 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35902513)

What else can one expect given its the 8th in the series.

General Maximus 13-06-2017 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35903140)
What else can one expect given its the 8th in the series.

You are thinking of Fast and the Furious (which was really really good). This is the third installment of the xXx franchise. Previously there was xXx (which was excellent snd what i always wanted James Bond to be) and xXx: State of the Union.

Paul 13-06-2017 13:53

I liked the latest xXx movie (its the only one of the series I have seen).

Went to see Wonder Woman on Sunday.
Good action movie, slightly different to my expectations - 7/10.

ThunderPants73 13-06-2017 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35902526)
It is on my to do list and I have been putting it off because I was worried about that. I watched the new Underworld film last night and didn't think much of it. I still need to watch Resident Evil and xXx and I am not expecting much from them either. If you would like a pleasant surprise though, you should watch John Wick 2.

I'm looking forward to it, I enjoyed the first one.

General Maximus 13-06-2017 23:26

yup, I was well chuffed with myself that I went to see it at the cinema. It is one of those films/sequels where you go in not expecting much and then you get blown away.

Stephen 17-06-2017 16:02

I did also really enjoy xXx 3. Was a daft but fun film and what the second one should have been.

Wonder Woman = 8/10

Cracking movie from start to finish. really well done origin story too.

General Maximus 17-06-2017 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35903740)
Cracking movie from start to finish. really well done origin story too.

absolutely, for me it is always about the characters and the story and that is why this one stood out a mile from all the other DC rubbish (and also why I love Batman Begins so much). If you are intending to make at least 2 films about somebody then you can afford to spend time letting us know who they are.

Stephen 17-06-2017 17:41

I did also really like Man of steel and to a degree BvS. For me the Superman character and back story from MoS was good and a bit different to usual.

However the movies weren't perfect by any means. I am a massive Supes fan.

The Wonder Woman theme is also fantastic and really makes you go OMG during the battle scenes.

General Maximus 17-06-2017 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35903748)
I am a massive Supes fan

me too but I was too young (I am not sure if I was even alive) when the original Superman films came out and for Superman (and especially the origin story) is Tom Welling and Smallville. When they get someone else to play Superman it is like it isn't real and all pretend. I think that is what is going to spoil Justice League for me to a certain extent because as far as I am concerned The Flash is Grant Gustin.

I have spoken to a lot of other fans of the series and who are also movie lovers as well and none of us understand why when you have got established and very popular series like Arrow and The Flash and you are doing a movie at the same time why you don't move those actors across to the movie roll as and when needs be. Having two different actors playing the same role just doesn't make sense to me.

Stephen 17-06-2017 20:19

They are two separate entities though. I love the DC series too but have no issues with other actors starring in the movies. I was not born when Superman came out in '78, but grew up with Reeve being Superman. Well until Cain in the 90s, who was great but looking back it was so cheesy.

Superman Returns was really dreadful and very dull. That came out when Smallville was still on I think and wished when it ended that they would get Welling as the main role as he really worked out well in the finale

General Maximus 18-06-2017 11:13

I just realised we are the same age :) I loved watching The New Adventures of Superman when I was 13/14 ish. I can remember it was on ITV on Satursday around 6 o'clock between Baywatch, Gladiators and Noel Edmonds House Party :) You are right though, it was cheesy definitely more for kids. Smallville started in my first year at uni and I watched it religiously every week. I enjoyed it an awful lot more because it was geared for the YA audience and dealt with every aspect of life, growing up and all the emotions that come with it. I love Lana and would marry her now if I could. She is still my number 1 babe of all time (as much as I love Buffy, Jessica Alba aka Max, Rommi and Jennifer Lawrence).

Stephen 18-06-2017 12:26

It was BBC1 that showed It not ITV im sure, it was before or after Neil's House Party. As i was haopy to have simething as Doctor who had ended.

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates 3/10

slightly funny in parts but over all pretty terrible.

General Maximus 26-06-2017 18:03

Transformers The Last Knight: 2/10

I really don't know how to describe this because everything I want to say I can't imagine saying about a Transformers movie and just sounds overly harsh. To cut a long story short it just felt hollow, you have seen everything before and was just a blur. Half way through the film I found myself asking when it was going to end and they could easily have chopped 30 minutes off it. The editing was rubbish. Scenes were cut abruptly short where you felt like another word or two should have come out of someone's mouth to finish a sentence but it was cut short and we jump to a two second scenic view of something. It jumped around way too much.

In the past I have judged films by whether they look good enough to watch at the cinema or wait to come out on dvd. I'll be honest and say you don't need to bother watching this at all. When I watched Fast 8 I said it was an enjoyable solid action movie and defo worth the watch. This is the complete opposite and is just air. I hope they don't make anymore after this one.

Paul 26-06-2017 23:27

Transformers : The Last Knight: 4/10.

Its a Michael Bay film, so it has lots of action & explosions.
Apparently it had a plot as well, though I didnt notice it appear much.

It was just so confusing, half the time I had no idea what was going on and who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

No idea what the point of Izabella was either (14 yr old girl, who somehow knows how to repair transformers).
She never really did anything, and vanished for half the film.

I hope the next two are better than this (Bumble Bee film, and Transformers 6).

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35903800)
It was BBC1 that showed It not ITV im sure

It was indeed BBC1 - no adverts :)

General Maximus 27-06-2017 17:46

I forgot to mention (silver lining), the only good thing about it is that the Deceptacons got their asses kicked for once. In the first couple of films I was sick and tired transforming into huge badass machines and kicking the autobots asses all the time (which were smaller cars).

cimt 28-06-2017 15:04

I've been told about a "twist" in that which sounds a bit like WTF but I don't know if it's cannon with the lore or not.

General Maximus 28-06-2017 15:33

say what you think it is with spoiler tags wrapped round it

Spoiler: 
like this

and I will tell you whether you are right or not because I didn't notice any twists in it and there definitely wasn't a WTF? moment.

adzii_nufc 28-06-2017 19:09

Not even gonna rate it. That was Bay's final go at it right? good.

dilli-theclaw 28-06-2017 20:05

Passengers - which wasn't too bad I guess.

General Maximus 29-06-2017 10:40

Passengers was amazing

General Maximus 05-07-2017 21:07

Spiderman Homecoming: 8.5/10

I have had to wait till now to write this so I could calm down and be more objective. I was in a very bad mood earlier and couldn't make my mind up how I wanted to rate the film. I booked my ticket for the midnight premiere last night and Odeon cancelled it and said it was a "scheduling error" even though this is the first Marvel film they haven't done a midnight premiere for. I then rebooked it for the first showing this morning and I turn up at the cinema and "there has been a technical fault and we are unable to show it". So I hung around for an hour and waited for the next showing.

Anyways, it is very very good. The one thing I was worried about with this is that I thought the bad guy would be OTT cheesy like the ones out of the other Spiderman movies and act like he had come out of Power Rangers or something but he isn't. He is well grounded with established and realistic weaponry which follows the story line. As with all Marvel films it isn't just action, it has depth of story and character and this is all about Peter Parker growing into his role and he reacts and adapts to life at school and his new superhero persona but at the same time, like with the other Marvel movies, it syncs up and fits in perfectly with what we know is happening in the MCU.

This film is more along the lines of Ant-Man and there are may lmao moments. I can't fault it at all and once again ticks all the boxes. I really want to give it a 9/10 but I can't because as good as it is, there wasn't a wow moment for me.

There are two post credit scenes. One after the main credits and one right at the end of the credits when everything has finished and you get the Dolby logo etc coming up. It is well worth waiting for.

adzii_nufc 05-07-2017 21:38

Wonder Woman 8/10

Again, just adding fuel to the fire regarding the standalone movies being better than the justice league crossover ones. It was exactly that. Better in every way. More of that, less of the Justice League. Without debating Flash TV and Flash movie universe, it's actually gotten me on board for a Flash movie.

Paul 05-07-2017 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35905427)
... and there definitely wasn't a WTF? moment.

The whole film was a WTF moment :erm:

Stephen 06-07-2017 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906313)

In what way? I've so far only seen positive reviews.

General Maximus 07-07-2017 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35906313)

in a bad way yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35906360)
In what way? I've so far only seen positive reviews.

about Transformers?

Stephen 07-07-2017 11:58

I thought paul was referring to Spiderman.

General Maximus 07-07-2017 13:28

I was a bit confused as well and had to run a search to see where he had quoted me. It was too pages back when we were talking about Transformers. I don't even want to mention them together or try to compare them. Spiderman in contract is creative, real, hilarious and brings us new action scenes that we haven't seen before (unlike what I feel are cut and paste jobs in Transformers)

Stephen 07-07-2017 16:05

Trasnformers was terrible though.

Stephen 08-07-2017 22:18

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9/10

Very much enjoyed the film and couldn't really fault it. Great moments of comedy that had the whole cinema laughing out loud. Also some very well handled easter ehhs in terms of characters that were seen and mentioned.

Also the mid credit sceen was interesting but the end credit scene was a great laugh. and everyone that stayed for it was laughing out loud.

Russ 08-07-2017 23:46

JFK - 10/10

My all time favourite film and one I’d not actually seen in about 4 or 5 years. I’d forgotten how good it was.

There are only a handful of 3 hour-plus films that my ADHD will allow me to sit through and this is easily one of them. Great performances from so many big names and Kevin Coster’s monologue explaining his case at the end was genius. Can’t believe the film is now 26 years old.

Paul 09-07-2017 00:26

Despicable Me 3 - 7/10.

My family (and me) all love DM & the Minions, so we had to go see this.
I was a nice change to go see something just intended to be entertaining and fun (and not seem to last all afternoon).

I dont think it was quite as good as DM1 & DM2 - for me it had a little bit too much song and dance in it (I hate musicals).

However, it delived what we expected, plenty of fun, humour and entertainment.

Mr K 09-07-2017 21:29

Gravity 1/10 , what a pile of pants.

General Maximus 09-07-2017 21:34

I went all the way to Nottingham to see it in IMAX, it was amazing.

Mr K 09-07-2017 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35906960)
I went all the way to Nottingham to see it in IMAX, it was amazing.

Yes it looked nice but the plot was a tad unbelievable. Give me 'Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD' anyday ;)

Paul 09-07-2017 22:49

The plot of most movies is a tad unbelievable, certainly the ones I watch ;)

General Maximus 09-07-2017 22:55

Are you saying The Matrix isnt real? :shocked:

Damien 11-07-2017 21:10

Baby Driver - 9 / 10 : Very fun film set to music
My Life as Courgette - 9/10 : Nice little animated film, worth catching if you can
Spiderman 8/10 : One of the better superhero films

Damien 22-07-2017 14:54

Dunkirk 9/10 - great, tense, film. One of those you need to see in a cinema

General Maximus 22-07-2017 16:25

I agree that you need to see it in the cinema but I would only give it 6.5/10. I was expecting it to be like Private Ryan with a story, characters and dialogue however it was more like Gravity. I really enjoyed Gravity but I knew what to expect.

I am sure this is going to be nominated for a few Oscars and technically it did a brilliant job of portraying what happened and the sound effects were excellent, I felt like I was really there. I was expecting it to be more of an entertaining war film like Black Hawk Down (also based on a true story) but it felt more like a National Geographic special.

Damien 22-07-2017 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35908778)
I agree that you need to see it in the cinema but I would only give it 6.5/10. I was expecting it to be like Private Ryan with a story, characters and dialogue however it was more like Gravity. I really enjoyed Gravity but I knew what to expect.

I am sure this is going to be nominated for a few Oscars and technically it did a brilliant job of portraying what happened and the sound effects were excellent, I felt like I was really there. I was expecting it to be more of an entertaining war film like Black Hawk Down (also based on a true story) but it felt more like a National Geographic special.

I can see that. I think if you were expecting a story-driven film then this would surprise you. It is a film driven by picture and sound rather than dialog.

The thing about seeing it in the cinema is that it's perfect for that medium. It wouldn't work on television as well as it does with large screens a big sound systems. I also love that this and other films such as Mad Max, Gravity and Baby Driver to a less extent are taking advantage of cinema more.

This is the kind of film Michael Bay would like to do but lacks the ability. It's how you do a specular film.

adzii_nufc 22-07-2017 21:18

Transformers: The Last Knight. 1/10

Realised I just ranted last time and didn't actually rate. As before just an absolute pile of crap. Clearly just aimed at the Chinese market.

I worry Pacific Rim 2 will now be pushed with the same goal.

admars 22-07-2017 21:28

T2: Trainspotting 8/10. It would be fair to say it's an unnecessary sequel, but, we really enjoyed it, and again every Begbie scene has you on the edge of your seat worried about what he'll do :)

It's not quite as good as the first one, but that being the iconic film it is, it would be hard to live up to that, but it didn't disappoint.

Hugh 27-07-2017 13:56

Dunkirk 9/10.

If you can, see it in IMAX - the sound, especially in the opening sequence, is amazing.

Damien 27-07-2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35909468)
Dunkirk 9/10.

If you can, see it in IMAX - the sound, especially in the opening sequence, is amazing.

Agreed. I saw it in 15/70mm IMAX at the BFI and it was amazing, so amazing I booked to go again next week. The water sweeps under you.

You're right about the sound too, the opening scene shocks you and then it's unrelenting until the end.

admars 28-07-2017 22:08

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10 , it's very silly, but exciting, and made us laugh, perfect switch of brain and enjoy for a Friday night :)

General Maximus 28-07-2017 22:14

First or second one?

Paul 28-07-2017 22:45

The Mechanic 1 & 2 - good films if you like that kind of action film. 7/10.

dilli-theclaw 28-07-2017 23:37

Spider-Man homecoming.

It was ok I guess but nothing special.

admars 29-07-2017 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35909703)
First or second one?

First one, we didn't get round to seeing it at cinema, then I recorded it when it on BBC, probably when 2nd was about to be cinema. 2nd one comes out to buy in Sep, prob get round to that when it's on BBC in another 3 years, when the 3rd film comes out at cinema ;)

General Maximus 29-07-2017 16:00

if you really enjoy them you really need to make a point of seeing them at the cinema. Don't wait till the second one comes out on tv because it will be too late. Avengers: Infinity Wars is coming out next year and the Guardians of the Galaxy are in it. You need to watch the second one so you can go and see Infinity Wars at the cinema, it is going to be amazing. If you haven't done so already, you to need the watch Iron Man films, Captain Americas, Thors and Avengers' (preferably in the order the were released).

admars 29-07-2017 17:26

sadly don't have the time or money to go to the cinema like we used to :(

Stephen 30-07-2017 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35909797)
sadly don't have the time or money to go to the cinema like we used to :(

Get a cineworld card. £17.49 a month and you can go as often as you want. Had mine 9 years and use it every weekend.

Dunkirk - 9/10

Simply wonderful. The sound and cinematography are amazing. Makes a historical event feel so much more rea; and harrowing.

General Maximus 30-07-2017 12:46

the closest cineworld to me is in Nottingham and I have been nagging Odeon to do something similar for years. They started doing "Limitless" last year which is the same thing at £18/month and I go twice a week. I make my list of films every year just like me and Paul have done in the movie thread and I save money just by going to see everyone film on my list once. There are obviously some films like Star Wars, Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Wonder Woman plus many others that I will see more than once so it works out great value.

I don't know about Cineworld but Odeon also do an offer which changes every month for Limitless customers where you will get 30% off popcorn one month, next month it will be nachos, the month after ice cream etc.

Stephen 30-07-2017 13:38

Cineworld have lots of permanent discounts on the Unlimited card. You get a red card for the first 12 months which gives 10% off all snacks and drinks and then after 12 months you get a black card that gives 25% off snacks and drinks.

The black card also has no extra charge for 3D films and discounts on other tickets cuch as 4DX and VIP. There are also discounts in a few restaurants such as Pizza Hut and Frankie & Bennies

General Maximus 30-07-2017 13:47

I hope Odeon do something like that. The one thing which really bugs me is that you have to pay more for premiere seating or a 3d performance. The card is linked to your online account which is great so if you want to go and see a 2d film and sit in normal seats you go through the normal process and when it comes to the checkout you click on limitless and get it free. If however you want to sit in premiere seats (which I always do) then it deducts the normal price and I pay the extra £1. I don't mind paying £1, it is the ball ache of having to type all my card details in for the sake of £1. I appreciate that they might not want to invest in the security required to retain payment information like Amazon do so I can have it all saved online and just click on "use this card" but I wish they would do a second premium tier for an extra few £££/month so premiere seating and 3d is included.

Stephen 30-07-2017 14:21

Yeah I have it all saved on my account so when I book tickets on the app it either uses my Unltd card or just pay the extra with my saved debit card. Nothing for 3D or £2.50 for superscreen and its about $4-5 for 4DX and the VIP is £29 normally or £19 for me.

I am lucky that in Glasgow there are 3 Cineworld locations I can easily get to including the IMAX at the Science centre.

Paul 30-07-2017 17:28

I had a cineworld card for 3 years while I was working part time in the UK.

The problem is that the Nottingham one has no parking as its in the city centre, so you have to pay to park (or use the Park & Ride / Tram).

The Showcase has free parking, and the super delux seats, which I love, so I end up always using that (I usually go Sunday evenings, so I get the Insider discount).

I really wish Showcase did an unlimited type card.

Stephen 30-07-2017 19:39

Newer Cinworlds and the Glasgow city centre one that got recorded now have bigger comfy seats as standard. No flip up seats now so that's good.

I don't drive so luckily parking is no issue lol.

Paul 30-07-2017 22:00

Dr Strange 7/10.

I think Marvel did an awful marketing job on this, the cinema previews last year did nothing at all to make me want to see this, the were ... strange ... :erm:
They just seemed to be a competition to cram in as many special effects as possible in, with no clue as to what was going on. I didnt bother going to see it.

I finally watched it on BluRay tonight thinking its not going to be very good
I was pleasently surprised, it was a good entertaining story, made sense, and in the end, quite enjoyable.

dilli-theclaw 31-07-2017 14:46

Left Behind.

What a pile of old poop! I can't believe Natalie actually liked it.

Mr K 01-08-2017 09:21

Dentist on the Job 6/10. Hard to believe plot but Shirley Eaton looked nice as always.

denphone 01-08-2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35909468)
Dunkirk 9/10.

Looking forward to it as it seems Nolan has delivered another classic.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35909709)
Spider-Man homecoming.

It was ok I guess but nothing special.

Any reason why dilli?.

General Maximus 04-08-2017 16:58

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 8.5/10

The best way to describe this is a sci-fi spectacle and work of art. Rather than having a major story line and a serious bad guy to go after and everything revolves around it, this film deals with it a bit differently and sets up and the major story line and bad guy and shows you the adventures the two good guys have in trying to solve the mystery.

Visually it is absolutely beautiful and if you get the chance to see it in 3D you should. To start off with I thought it was a bit messy and cheesy because I thought they were going a bit OTT with the sci-fi-ness of it all. It was as if they tried to take every quirky idea ever made and put it all into one film. As the film progressed I started to appreciate it for what it was and it is very much a work of art and beautiful and true sci-fi movie. The second thing I want to mention is the acting. The relationship and sexual tension between Valerian and Laureline is great and they got it just right.

admars 05-08-2017 21:38

The Purge 7/10 - was better than I thought it would be, a not bad psychological thriller/horror in a Black Mirror kind of way, but not as good as Black Mirror and didn't explore that aspect as much as it could have.

Dude111 06-08-2017 08:49

I last saw Entrapment (1999) on VHS :)

9/10

Paul 06-08-2017 22:40

Delta Force - 8/10.
Years since I have seen this, a good enjoyable Chuck Norris action film.

Valerian - 7/10.
Entertaining Sci-Fi, but weird in places, and while I know sci-fi isnt real, I expect them to at least try and make it all believable - which parts of this were not, like when he took the short cut, doing a ton of damage, and yet no massive liquid leaks, and no mention of the carnage caused.

General Maximus 07-08-2017 08:01

I thought that as well. The other thing I was thing in the back of my mind was how the whole place was managed. They said the humans were in charge but it it appeared to be massive yet made of up various extensions/chunks over the years and I couldn't wrap my head around how they would power and maintain the whole thing and actively circulate air round it. It is one of those things that seem to exist because of the idea of it and without any thought as to whether it could actually exist. That was my bug with the film from the get go but once I settles into it I charged my frame of mind and just took it as a scifi film where things exist that may not be explained right now. With regards to the water coming out of that aquatic farming section, (and the pressure it would have come out at) I assumed they would have safe guards in place and some kind of force field in the event of a hull breach.

admars 10-08-2017 21:52

The Purge: Anarchy - 7/10
more of a dumb action film than the first, but quite exciting, if a bit silly

admars 12-08-2017 22:01

The Purge: Election year - 7/10
Like the previous one, a silly but enjoyable action film.
Don't know what we'll watch next, should probably mix it up a bti and watch something "good" :)

admars 14-08-2017 22:29

The Dark Knight Rises has been on our pending pile since it came out on Blu Ray(we didn't get round to it at cinema), so we watched Batman Begins, next we'll watch The Dark Night again.

Batman Begins was as good as I remember, still a solid 10/10

denphone 15-08-2017 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35911138)
Delta Force - 8/10.
Years since I have seen this, a good enjoyable Chuck Norris action film.

Valerian - 7/10.
Entertaining Sci-Fi, but weird in places, and while I know sci-fi isnt real, I expect them to at least try and make it all believable - which parts of this were not, like when he took the short cut, doing a ton of damage, and yet no massive liquid leaks, and no mention of the carnage caused.

Lone Wolf McQuade was one of my favourite Chuck Norris films.

General Maximus 15-08-2017 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35912551)
The Dark Knight Rises has been on our pending pile since it came out on Blu Ray(we didn't get round to it at cinema), so we watched Batman Begins, next we'll watch The Dark Night again.

Batman Begins was as good as I remember, still a solid 10/10

this is one of those occasions when you have missed out big time. I went to see all of them at the cinema and I agree that Batman Begins is 10/10, it is a fantastic origin story and probably the best one I have ever seen. It made the second one a must see at the cinema and at the time I think it broke the world record for highest opening weekend ever.

You should take a look at mine and Pauleh's movie list for this year (and there will be another one for next year as well), watch the trailers and make your own list of films you want to go and see at the cinema. The list isn't a I list I make willy nilly for every film coming out, it is purely for this reason and your example that I started making it about 15 years ago. I got really annoyed that I would watch films when they came out on video/dvd and thought "****, I wish I had been to see that at the cinema" so every year I now watch all the trailers and make a list of films that I want to see at the cinema so I can truly enjoy and appreciate them. I went to the cinema a lot anyway to see the big releases but there was always one or two that slipped through the net (the most annoying being The Last Samurai).

admars 15-08-2017 09:24

We saw Batman Begins and Dark Knight at cinema but circumstances change so going to cinema isn't so much of an option any more. We used to go at least once a month

admars 15-08-2017 22:54

Dark Knight 9.5/10, Still really good, but tries to be a bit too clever, and a few too many silly bits and doesn't flow quite as well as the first one, but still really good. ppl bang on about Ledger, but I forget how good Morgan Freeman is in these films as well :)

General Maximus 15-08-2017 23:03

Morgan Freeman is my second favourite actor ever, my first being Denzel Washington.

admars 16-08-2017 22:51

The Dark Knight Rises 9/10
Really enjoyed it, I remember when it came out ppl moaned about it, Bane mostly I think or maybe were just disappointed by it, but we liked it, even if it did have a bit too much cheesiness in places.