Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

denphone 04-12-2016 09:47

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35873657)
Wizard of Oz. 8/10. Dorothy is well fit.

Still a classic even thought it was made over 70 years ago.

General Maximus 04-12-2016 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35873605)
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 10/10, and to think I was going to wait for the DVD!

As you should all know, the original source material was essentially just a guidebook, so I couldn't see how they could make a story out of it, unless it was about Newt's travels across the world. The fact that the film is set in 1926 New York put paid to that idea. So, not that interested.

And then I had a rrrroooooooooooouuuuuuggggghhhhh week at work. Insane levels of graft following That Day - I refuse even to mention it. You know the one I mean. The one that isn't white and comes the day before Saturday.

Yeah, that day. :rolleyes: I thought that was bad, but...anyway.

I decided to treat myself today. I'm so glad I did. It's a wonderful tale, very Rowling-esque...hardly surprising, since she wrote it. I had a merry time spotting creatures from the book and trying to identify them - the Niffler was very well-realised (and cute, I thought). There are several that aren't in the book, too.

Some not-so-subtle hints of Things To Come, such as mention of Albus Dumbledore and the Lestrange family, plus the Sign of the Deathly Hallows. Seeing the differing attitudes of American and British wizards was intriguing...and I loved that the American wizards had an equivalent of the FBI!

Casting was spot-on. The lead actor reminded me very much of Matt Smith, and played Newt in much the same way as Matt played the Doctor.

Lots of humour, very human touches, tragedy and life lessons regarding tolerance and understanding...as I said, very Rowling-esque. I rather hope she turns it into a novel.

I am glad you enjoyed it but unfortunately I felt completely let down. I am not a huge Harry Potter fan but I went to see each of the films at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was looking forward to this one and went in completely open minded and came out very disappointed. I thought the story was very week and most of the magic, especially at the beginning of the film, was written to remind people it was affiliated to Harry Potter and so all the children can go "wow, look at that".

I came out of thinking that the only reason they made it was for a Harry Potter cash in. Somebody would have sat there rubbing their hands thinking "great, another $1 billion in the bank" and the fact that they are making 5 of them is a joke (especially as they claim they aren't Harry Potter prequels).

Jimmy-J 08-12-2016 07:42

Malèna 9/10

Monica Bellucci is stunning.

Stephen 08-12-2016 09:58

Doctor Strange - 8/10

Finally got round to seeing it this week and really did enjoy it. BC was a great choice for the character.

Also loved the mid credit scene with Thor, very funny!

General Maximus 15-12-2016 03:51

Just got back from Rogue One. Very good and the cinematography was excellent. All the costumes, ships and everything fit right in with the original trilogy. It might just be me but I think I got myself so hyped up for it that it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The action and characters were great but I felt like there wasn't enough depth to the story as far as the alliance was concerned and I was hoping to understand more about them given that all the other films have been Jedi-centric. The other thing I need to niggle at because it was noticeable immediately was the lack of John Williams' music. To start off with I thought they weren't using it maybe due to copyright issues (not sure whether he owns the music or Lucasfilm) but there are a couple of snippets of it throughout the film. I know they don't want to rehash the same stuff in every movie but there are a couple of scenes where they defo should have used some of the music for when the
Spoiler: 
alliance scores a victory
. I can hear it in my head but I don't know what it is called but I am sure you'll know what I mean when you see it. They set the precedent for it in ep IV during the Death Star attack at the end. Just checked the soundtrack to episode VI for the scene when they are on the barge on Tattooine and Luke rescues them and the theme is called "Return of the Jedi".

rocktime 15-12-2016 12:44

Just watched the new Ghostbusters movie. Really not sure why there were so many haters because of the woman leads. they did a good job. There were a few laughs, but like most hollywood movies, it just ends up getting silly by the end. Chris Hemsworth absolutely saved that movie from disaster IMO, he had the best lines in the film.

Cameos from original Ghostbusters cast members felt unnecessary...

2.5/5

Stephen 15-12-2016 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35875848)
Just got back from Rogue One. Very good and the cinematography was excellent. All the costumes, ships and everything fit right in with the original trilogy. It might just be me but I think I got myself so hyped up for it that it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The action and characters were great but I felt like there wasn't enough depth to the story as far as the alliance was concerned and I was hoping to understand more about them given that all the other films have been Jedi-centric. The other thing I need to niggle at because it was noticeable immediately was the lack of John Williams' music. To start off with I thought they weren't using it maybe due to copyright issues (not sure whether he owns the music or Lucasfilm) but there are a couple of snippets of it throughout the film. I know they don't want to rehash the same stuff in every movie but there are a couple of scenes where they defo should have used some of the music for when the
Spoiler: 
alliance scores a victory
. I can hear it in my head but I don't know what it is called but I am sure you'll know what I mean when you see it. They set the precedent for it in ep IV during the Death Star attack at the end. Just checked the soundtrack to episode VI for the scene when they are on the barge on Tattooine and Luke rescues them and the theme is called "Return of the Jedi".

I am seeing it tomorrow and am looking forward to it.

I think the lack of John Williams is purely down to this not being part of the main saga and the director wanted the composer to try and create something slightly different.

Paul 16-12-2016 00:05

Rogue One - 8/10.

Good entertaining film, with some unexpected events, esp at the end.

admars 16-12-2016 00:12

Rogue One, I agree 8/10 v good film, enough to keep the Star Wars nerds happy, and normal ppl :)

Stephen 17-12-2016 11:25

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. 9/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it, a little slow to start but then they do need to introduce all the characters and set up the story.

the final third act though is where the film really kicks off. Space Battles and a big planet battle really are great. So well shot and throughout the film the wide angle shots of the planets and landscapes are simply stunning.

Mostly though it was pretty different to all other Star wars films but still ultimately felt like a Star wars film. With the settings and costumes it really fits in with the feel of A New Hope.

As others have stated there are a few surprises dotted throughout, whether its objects or locations or characters.

for me it was better than The Force Awakens.

adzii_nufc 20-12-2016 02:53

Spectral - 7/10

A Netflix movie, which is surprisingly decent.

techguyone 20-12-2016 10:24

it was... ok 5/10 basically Final Fantasy - the spirits within, you can see where they got the idea from.

adzii_nufc 04-01-2017 04:43

Jack Reacher: Never go back - 5/10

Bit of a let down for me, probably because my expectations are too high. The source material for Jack Reacher is more than enough for a procedural TV show once Hollywood buries it. NCIS is similar however.

General Maximus 04-01-2017 08:04

I was pleasantly surprised. I didnt the trailers for either the first or second film made them look amazing so my expectations were low. I enjoy both films as generic action films like Taken (another pleasant surprise) but they are by no means fantastic.

Chad 04-01-2017 19:49

Asassin's Creed - 4/10

Never played any of the games and don't know much about them. My wife wanted to see this one. The story was ludicrous. The action scenes where decent but not enough of them. Some decent actors playing terrible roles. Not fun. The guy sitting next to me fell asleep the lucky git.

adzii_nufc 04-01-2017 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35879093)
Asassin's Creed - 4/10

Never played any of the games and don't know much about them. My wife wanted to see this one. The story was ludicrous. The action scenes where decent but not enough of them. Some decent actors playing terrible roles. Not fun. The guy sitting next to me fell asleep the lucky git.

I expected exactly this. I had no faith from the get go and that's partly down to the way video games turned movies tend to go but also because I couldn't see how they'd make anything exciting of Assassins Creed on screen. You've pretty much confirmed my fears. Playing it would help you understand the story a bit more though, it is ludicrous but then again, it's based off a game. I'll give it a shot eventually but my hopes are dashing away. The idea is if someone gets it right, they'll make more movies from other successful franchises. Gears of War and so forth.

ThunderPants73 04-01-2017 22:44

Rogue One
1st half quite boring, 2nd half great. CGI Tarkin and Leia really bad. My mate said Tarkin looked like the Walking Dead.
7/10

adzii_nufc 05-01-2017 02:07

Max Steel - 2/10

Have complete confidence in saying this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's made that special list with Tommy Wisaeu. I should really at least Google something if I haven't heard of it. Instant regret.

denphone 10-01-2017 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35879093)
Asassin's Creed - 4/10

Sadly another popular computer game they think they can make a few dollars from by bringing it to the silver screen.:rolleyes:

Tinky 10-01-2017 09:18

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) 9/10

Could this happen in real life? Good film, very claustrophobic in parts, would watch again.:shocked:

Chad 12-01-2017 23:38

Why Him - 6/10

A bit better than expected. Decent comedy. Not a laugh a minute but certainly a few giggles.

Damien 14-01-2017 17:21

La La Land. 9/10

The hype is real. Very good film although some might be turned off given it's kind of a musical.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 35879891)
Could this happen in real life?

Probably not some of the stuff towards the end ;)

Hugh 14-01-2017 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35880647)
La La Land. 9/10

The hype is real. Very good film although some might be turned off given it's kind of a musical.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Probably not some of the stuff towards the end ;)

Just got back from watching it - loved it.

It's a hymn to Hollywood dreams, with magical realism - definitely a 9/10.

Think it might be a bit of a Marmite movie, though.

The Telegraph put it best, I thought...
Quote:

it sends you from the cinema with tears in your eyes, a song in your heart, and a clear six inches of thin air between the soles of your shoes and the pavement.
Emma Stone shows that she can act, though...

Damien 14-01-2017 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35880666)
Just got back from watching it - loved it.

It's a hymn to Hollywood dreams, with magical realism - definitely a 9/10.

It was so well shot too, very colourful. I love a film that does something with the concept of being a film. Mad Max, Birdman and Grand Bupdapest Hotel were other recent examples. La La Land was a brilliant example of that too. Spotlight last year was good but that could have been made for television or the stage without losing anything.

Quote:

Think it might be a bit of a Marmite movie, though.
The opening scene will make it clear to people if they'll like it or not.

Tinky 15-01-2017 16:10

Momento (2000) 4/10 the most back to front confusing film I have seen for ages.

Chad 19-01-2017 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 35880732)
Momento (2000) 4/10 the most back to front confusing film I have seen for ages.

If you have the original DVD there is a way to watch the film in chronological sequence. Some easter egg in the menu where you have to push various buttons. I found the film to be worse when watched in sequence!

Chad 20-01-2017 00:44

Underworld: Blood Wars - 5/10

5th instalment of the Underworld saga. Think you need to be a fan of the series to enjoy this one. Nothing new or exciting as such, pretty much just more of the same. Plot wasn't great, action scenes okay. I won't bother watching it again when it hits the likes of Netlix or Freeview. Even my wife who loves the series thought it was a let down.

If you like a film with a simple plot, over the top fighting scenes, eye candy and vampires you might just love this :)

techguyone 20-01-2017 08:24

I've been binge watching the underworld series in preparation of this.

! & 2 are fine (i'll not include the prequel as that's kinda stand alone)

Holy **** 3 is bad, I was hoping that this new one would at least take it back to 1 & 2's level.

heero_yuy 22-01-2017 11:12

Appleseed - First of the trilogy. 9/10 Animation (CGI) is breathtakingly beautiful but I'm glad I read the synopsis otherwise it could have been somewhat confusing.

Nice to have the original Japanese language track together with subtitles.

Damien 22-01-2017 15:44

Manchester by the Sea - 8/10

Very good film but a harrowing one

Paul 23-01-2017 04:00

Return of Xander Cage - 9/10

This was just awsome, lot's of action and humour as well.

I havent seen the previous two Zander/XXX films, but now I want to. ...

admars 23-01-2017 21:47

As revision for a potential cinema trip this weekend just watched Trainspotting, I've only seen it once or twice before, and last time must have been about 10-15 years ago! Really enjoyed it, forgot how exciting, funny, and horrible it is, still WWAW after all these years :)
8/10

adzii_nufc 23-01-2017 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35881737)

Don't hold massively high expectations for the second one, it's fun in it's own goofy way but compares very little to Vin Diesel's two.

Chad 23-01-2017 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35881737)

XXX - 3 /10

I just watched the first XXX for the first time in nearly 15 years. I couldn't remember any of it so it was like watching a new movie. Boy it was terrible. Hasn't aged well at all. Poor effects, poor acting, poor script, poor story. The irony is it was so poor I started to enjoy it. Checked IMDB half way through and learned the film had a budget of $83 million, that's roughly $110 million in todays money. Found it fun to try and figure out what they spent the money on. I have come to the conclusion the studio was scammed.

My wife booked tickets to go and see XXX3 tomorrow night but has cancelled them. She stopped watching XXX about 70 mins in. Lucky her as the nonsense continued for another 65 mins. We're now going to see Jackie instead :D

General Maximus 23-01-2017 23:34

I remember going to see xXx at the cinema, I loved it and thought it is what I always wanted James Bond to be. Pierce Brosnan did my head in and Daniel Craig brought the character back in line and made him a more realistic spy.

Paul 24-01-2017 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35881871)
My wife booked tickets to go and see XXX3 tomorrow night but has cancelled them.

Her loss. ;)

techguyone 24-01-2017 08:24

Doctor Strange 3/10 didn't sit well with me, maybe that's just me though, just felt it was meh compared to the other MU stuff

Arrival
3/10

Nice idea, but soooo slow and dare I say it - boring

Mick Fisher 24-01-2017 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35881898)
Arrival
3/10

Nice idea, but soooo slow and dare I say it - boring

You certainly may and as if all that wasn't enough I "just didn't get it" :(

Damien 24-01-2017 19:19

I thought Arrival was great! 8/10. It's not really about aliens visiting each so much as about language.

Paul 24-01-2017 20:54

I saw the trailers for Arrival and decided to stay well clear. Glad I did.

Damien 24-01-2017 21:17

I can see why people would think it's different to what they expected to be fair. It's science fiction but more to the drama side.

techguyone 25-01-2017 09:39

Drama? it wasn't dramatic at all, just sloww and pondering, with a touch of weird.

Stephen 25-01-2017 15:00

I watched Arrival the other night 2/10

Utter dross. I was angry that I bothered to waste time watching till the end.

Jimmy-J 26-01-2017 03:15

Split - 4/10. NO WAY! 10/10... Now come on guys, let's not argue, 6/10

adzii_nufc 29-01-2017 23:08

Dr Strange - 9/10

One of the best Marvel origins stories they've done. Cumberbatch on top form as usual.

Tinky 30-01-2017 06:22

La la land 5/10 I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes worth, starts of with singing and dancing on the motorway and carries on in the same vein, not for me. :rolleyes:

Stephen 30-01-2017 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 35883014)
La la land 5/10 I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes worth, starts of with singing and dancing on the motorway and carries on in the same vein, not for me. :rolleyes:

It is a musical lol.

Everyone I know that knew the genre beforehand loved it and others that didn't hated it and only saw it as people were talking about how great it was.

Mick Fisher 30-01-2017 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35883005)
Dr Strange - 9/10

One of the best Marvel origins stories they've done. Cumberbatch on top form as usual.

Not my cup of tea :(

2/10

Damien 31-01-2017 21:30

Hacksaw Ridge - 6-7/10

Tis ok, good even. Just felt a bit meh. The film sorta of drags in places and doesn't really draw you into it until they arrive at the war scenes.

Chad 31-01-2017 23:29

Jackie - 5/10

It was okay. The film was just incredibly one paced. Tells the story of Jackie Kennedy from the day of the JFK assassination through to his funeral. I know she's had rave reviews but I found Natalie Portman really boring in this. It was intresting enough and watchable but I was never gripped and towards the end I justed wanted it to be wrapped up.

One observation was the rest of the audience. My wife and I are mid 30's. Everyone else was between 50 and 70 I'd say. Maybe the film is aimed at a more mature audience?

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Okay so not as good as the original but it was pretty funny and entertaining. The overall story isn't amazing but it's full of little moments and scenes that keep things going along nicely. Plenty of nods to the original and little flash backs to when they where younger, to help flesh out their characters, which explains some of their behaviour in the first film.

Fun film which a great soundtrack. Nowhere near as dark as the original.

Stephen 31-01-2017 23:47

xXx 3 the return of Xander Cage 7/10

Good fun and enjoyable.

denphone 01-02-2017 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinky (Post 35883014)

Personally our household are fans of the old style musicals of Hollywood's golden age Tinky.

Pierre 05-02-2017 08:53

I watched Batman v Superman ultimate edition again, and don't think it was anywhere near as bad as people made out.

I think it was pretty good, and Afflecks Batman is the best incarnation in my opinion.

heero_yuy 06-02-2017 09:43

Appleseed Ex Machina 8/10 Second film in the trilogy. Again beautiful CGI animation but perhaps a little Matrix like in places especially the drone killing scene. Nice idea about wearable / implanted tech making people into zombie like creatures on receipt of a control signal.

General Maximus 06-02-2017 09:55

Lol, when i got the email notification and read your post you should have seen my face light up. I thought you was talking about a sequel to Ex Machina with Alicia Vikander and i said to myself "HOW DID YOU MISS THIS!!!"

techguyone 06-02-2017 10:30

Passengers

8/10

I & my wife found this quite good, I don't even like Jennifer Lawrence particularly but it was a good film.

General Maximus 06-02-2017 10:35

I absolutely adore Jennifer Lawrence and would marry her right now if i could. I saw Passengers in 3D and the wow factor for me was those scenic views of space from the viewing gallery and the pool scene when they lost gravity.

ThunderPants73 14-02-2017 16:52

Chinatown.

7/10

Damien 18-02-2017 15:44

The Founder - 7/10. Was alright, about the founding of McDonalds.

Stephen 19-02-2017 17:46

The Lego Batman movie 9/10

So so funny and loved all the references and some great cameos.

Dude111 20-02-2017 01:02

I last watched CAGED FURY (1989) on VHS :)

Its ok.......

heero_yuy 20-02-2017 08:57

Ghost in the Shell. (Japanese speech, English subs) - 9/10 Clever ending that was left open for a sequel. Traditional cel style animation. The credits suggest some computer animation was also used.

Stephen 20-02-2017 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35886662)
Ghost in the Shell. (Japanese speech, English subs) - 9/10 Clever ending that was left open for a sequel. Traditional cel style animation. The credits suggest some computer animation was also used.

I bet the Hollywood live action remake is not as good as that at all. I watched a lot of anime back in the mid 90s and a lot of them are still amazing today.

tweetiepooh 20-02-2017 11:25

"Welcome Mr President" - Italian movie with subtitles on Netflix. Very funny look at Italian politics.

adzii_nufc 23-02-2017 03:04

Need for Speed. 6/10

Not as bad as expected, isn't amazing by any means either but certainly watchable.

Sequel set soon based in Asia. Incoming drift movie then.

Russ 24-02-2017 07:00

Trainspotting 2

Not as good or original as the first but still very very good. Each character had more or less 'progressed' as you'd have expected them to after 20 years. Lots of clips from T1, usually I consider it to be lazy when sequels show parts of the original film but the way it was done here worked well to demonstrate that whereas 20 years have passed, life hadn't moved on that much for some.

Great soundtrack too.

9/10

ThunderPants73 26-02-2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35886662)

Love that film, the music is fantastic. Have you watched the series? I have them but it's way down a long list of things to watch before I snuff it.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Alien 3 & 4. Probably the worst of the lot but it passed a few hours. Watching Outland this aft.

adzii_nufc 04-03-2017 00:36

Assassins Creed 4/10

Has a full source to work with, abandons it for an 'original story'

Damien 05-03-2017 10:47

Logan - 8/10.

More superhero films like that please. better than the end-of-the-world, here comes every hero, cacophonous confusion that is the Avengers films. Logan is still an action film obviously but it was a compelling one with a much calmer and interesting plot. I prefer it when they focus on a few characters and use that time to tell a story rather than bombard you with characters, fight sequences and explosions etc.

Paul 12-03-2017 23:22

Logan - 8/10.

I was a tad slow in parts, but overall I loved it.
A bit sad in places as well, it will be interesting to see if they continue the series with "Laura".

Also had the Deadpool preview at the start.

General Maximus 12-03-2017 23:48

I am absolutely gutted that this is the last time we are going to see Wolverine and Professor X. I can still remember going to see X-Men with my two best friends at the cinema 17 years ago :cry:

General Maximus 13-03-2017 22:06

I have been a busy bee at the cinema recently:

John Wick 8/10: not the best film ever but a great action flick which built on the story of the first one and bucked the trend by being better imho.

Patriots Day 7/10: I love films based on true stories and action aside, this did a great job of showing you what went on behind the scenes when we were watching the news and press conferences

The Great Wall 6/10: I enjoyed it but couldn't help but feel the whole purpose of the feel was to glorify China and their culture and throw some monsters in the middle. I loved it though, I love seeing great empires in all their glory with the military precision of choreography and all the costumes.

Kong: Skull Island 5/10: Biggest disappointment of the year for me so far. I was happy to see Kong still turned out to be a good guy and was not captured but I felt like the film wasn't supposed to be about him and more of an "explore the Jurassic park" which happened to be part of. I still would have enjoyed it for the action and bad guys but there was something missing in it for me and it felt hollow.

Four good films coming up very soon which I am looking forward to:

Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
Fast 8 (midnight premiere)
Ghost in the Shell (midnight premiere)

adzii_nufc 16-03-2017 12:14

The Young Offenders 9/10

A surprisingly good film.

adzii_nufc 24-03-2017 08:05

Resident evil: The final chapter. 4/10

Mediocre ending to an average at best franchise. Loved the first, enjoyed the second but it started nose diving pretty quickly after that albeit with a semi decent film in between.

Hopefully it can now get the reboot it deserves and become more than just a 'loosely based on' adaptation.

Tinky 25-03-2017 06:50

Rings 2/10 worst film I've watched for ages :rolleyes:

Stephen 26-03-2017 03:12

Power Rangers - 8/10

really fun and enjoyable with a few really well placed nods to the original MMPR series. Only a few small faults for me were the pacing and a couple of editing issues.

Great update to a classic series and just on the right side of being darker and more grown up.

General Maximus 27-03-2017 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35891736)
Power Rangers - 8/10

I am looking forward to seeing it this week

Life - 4/10
I honestly wouldn't bother going to see it at the cinema. It is a space sci-fi horror (and the trailer makes it look better than it actually is) and if you turn your brain off you would think it is good. Unfortunately if you leave it on you will realise the whole thing would never happen because the characters do things that they wouldn't do in real life and they have omitted technology that is present on the ISS and exists in real life in order to fit the story line.

techguyone 27-03-2017 08:33

Shame the wiki synopsis looks pretty good (spoilers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_(2017_film))

General Maximus 27-03-2017 11:04

It really isn't. Without going into too much detail and I am not spoiling anything (and this is just one example), each of the charcters takes it in turn of being in mortal danger and instead of putting the safety of the space station or Earth first, which is what they would be trained to do and would do instinctively because of their background (CDC, Air Force etc), they instead opt for self preservation knowing that they are facilitating further contamination and risk.

I enjoy films like Aliens where they accidentally put themselves in a perilous situation and despite their best efforts they can't get out of it, but this is just stupid because they are so many times when things happen which you know just wouldn't and is completely unrealistic.

Damien 02-04-2017 21:04

Ghost in the Shell. Pretty good, certainly very well shot and scored. The kind of film you should see in the cinema.

denphone 03-04-2017 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35892982)
Ghost in the Shell. Pretty good, certainly very well shot and scored. The kind of film you should see in the cinema.

l have heard its pretty good although some critics don't seem to like it that much.

techguyone 03-04-2017 19:32

Its been seriously panned by the critics/box office revenue, bet it'll be a cult film in a few years though.

heero_yuy 03-04-2017 19:38

If you take a classic animé and make a live version there are many who consider that as sacrelage. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it and can compair it to the original.

Damien 03-04-2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35893118)
Its been seriously panned by the critics/box office revenue, bet it'll be a cult film in a few years though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35893121)
If you take a classic animé and make a live version there are many who consider that as sacrelage. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it and can compair it to the original.

I haven't seen the original but I am guessing that is what has happened. The film I saw was a decent, competent, entertaining film which looked amazing in terms of how it was shot. It's not the greatest film of the year or anything but it's better than the reviews that are coming out.

There was also a backlash against the casting of a white American actor to play a part which many perceived as being an Asian character (the creator has said the race isn't important, given the story it would make sense why) so that may have played a part.

denphone 03-04-2017 20:14

l am looking forward to seeing Beauty and the beast sometime soon.

General Maximus 04-04-2017 01:47

Beauty and the Beast is superb.

Tbh Ghost in the Shell was a bit of an anti climax for me. It is very thought provoking and makes you wonder what things are going to be like in the future with regards to cybernetics and it also did a good job of conveying the Japanese ethos of the spirit world etc. The thing which let it down for me though was the whole thing felt a bit hollow because they kept the whole thing very focused and didn't expand enough on the universe she lives in to make it feel real for me. The best analogy I can think of and can compare it to is the new Judge Dredd film. I thought it was really good and enjoyed it for what it is but the whole thing was based in a tower block and didn't expand on the world of the future and show you how everyone lives.

denphone 05-04-2017 17:35

The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies extended version.

techguyone 05-04-2017 18:20

den, give it a rating

dilli-theclaw 05-04-2017 18:57

The last days on Mars.

What a pile of poop.

denphone 05-04-2017 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35893437)
den, give it a rating

Well just for you l will Sir.:)

9/10 as l thought it was the best of the three Hobbit films but ROTK out of all the six films done by Peter Jackson was the best of them all IMO.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35893448)
The last days on Mars.

What a pile of poop.

Oh dear dilli that bad?

Have you seen Interstellar Dilli?.

lexio 11-04-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35893130)
l am looking forward to seeing Beauty and the beast sometime soon.

I have been thinking about this too, but my daughter just turned 4. I am not sure if she would get it.

General Maximus 11-04-2017 09:46

My best friends daughter is 4 is she had already seen the original cartoon so she understoid what the main story line was and she loves the new. There is loads of singing in it which children will love.

lexio 13-04-2017 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35894150)
My best friends daughter is 4 is she had already seen the original cartoon so she understoid what the main story line was and she loves the new. There is loads of singing in it which children will love.

How nice of you to share this! Thank you so much.I love this forum!

Chad 17-04-2017 22:22

Peppa Pig: My First Cinema Experience - 5/10

It's about 8 brand new episodes cobbled together intercut with some live-action footage. The cartoons where fine but the live action stuff was terrible. It featured a Peppa and George puppet along with a 30 something woman acting like she was 10 with the most off putting squeeky voice ever. She was singing and dancing with the puppets trying to get the audience involved. I heard one wee girl ask her Mum "why does she keep coming on?". My thoughts exactly.

Finding Dory: 7/10

This was good fun. I found it more entertaining than Finding Nemo. The usual tug at your heart strings with humor. My wee boy loved it. Not a bad way to spend 90 mins on a Bank Holiday.

JayLake 04-05-2017 15:49

The Arrival - 9.2/10

Paul 04-05-2017 16:05

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 8.5 / 10.

Mick Fisher 04-05-2017 18:38

Bad Santa 2 ...... 8/10

Tinky 04-05-2017 18:49

A walk among the tombstones 9/10

denphone 05-05-2017 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35897486)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 8.5 / 10.

Is it as good as the first film?.

Hugh 05-05-2017 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35897572)
Is it as good as the first film?.

I thought it was, and very funny.