Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PC getting slow , would really appreciate your recommendations please (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711478)

ThunderPants73 18-11-2022 14:03

Re: PC getting slow , would really appreciate your recommendations please

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline (Post 36140202)
so my pc is getting slow now so i want to upgrade it to make it faster when coming on and going between pages , i would really appreciate your recommendations as to what to buy as i am really not techy on these things .

so currently i have
4 gig of ram
motherboard - GA-H55M-S2H

and are thinking about buying scandisc ssd plus 1 TB sata 111
to run widows on as i have a very old hardrive in it at the moment [12 yers old ]

what would you recomend if anything , do i need to buy a new motherboard if so what one ? .

An SSD will work wonders as others have said, not only a faster drive but also a fresh install of your OS may help too if it's been a while. If you're looking to get a new motherboard, you may need a new CPU and also different RAM etc. Might be cheaper to buy a new complete PC depending on your use.

Dude111 22-11-2022 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon
I've always wondered, Is there a reason you run an out of date (security risk), old computer? What on earth can you be running that needs such an old machine?

Well I love 98se buddy :)

I can use flash,shockwave and Java and I know my stuff isnt spying on me..... My computer IS MY COMPUTER,not someone elses that they can dictate what I do on it :)

Jaymoss 22-11-2022 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36140567)
Well I love 98se buddy :)

I can use flash,shockwave and Java and I know my stuff isnt spying on me..... My computer IS MY COMPUTER,not someone elses that they can dictate what I do on it :)

And please tell us how can you be sure?

Dude111 24-11-2022 19:41

I guess none of us can be sure :(

Hugh 24-11-2022 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36140726)
I guess none of us can be sure :(

We’re talking computer security, not Epistemological solipsism… ;)

Jaymoss 24-11-2022 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36140729)
We’re talking computer security, not Epistemological solipsism… ;)

Hugh 24-11-2022 21:40

Pretentious?

Moi?

If you expect me to be concerned by your floccinaucinihilipilification, you’re going to be disappointed…

;)

Mr K 24-11-2022 22:58

Empty the hard drive, get rid of the operating system, and just use a command prompt. It will be lightning quick.