Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 and internet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706826)

daveeb 13-09-2018 18:24

V6 and internet

Hi all
Been contemplating switching to Tivo V6 from my current old school 500 GB tivo, but there are pros and cons from my perspective.
I believe the V6 uses the internet connection from the router whereas the older Tivo has a dedicated 10 MBPS internet connection of its own.
Would the V6 still work to display TV etc if the router failed or is it essential to have an internet connection to operate.
Also would they try and persuade me to get a shub 3, i'm reasonably happy with my shub 2 as it does all the things i need it to do fairly well and i really don't like the reports of the shub 3.
Also can i keep old box elsewhere and if so how much would that be, i guess it would also need to be connected up in new location by engineer.

Ta for any info.

RobboEdin 13-09-2018 18:53

Re: V6 and internet

TiVo and V6 operate the same except that they get their internet connection from different places. In that respect, V6 continues to operate the same as TiVo when they lose their internet connection.
When either loses its broadband connection, they continue to provide Live TV, allow watching recordings and record programs which are scheduled.
Each would lose Catch Up and On Demand and access to apps which require the internet.
With an extended broadband outage, each would run out of Guide.
You would likely be asked to take a Hub 3.0 but, in my experience, it works well, assuming you configure it to broadcast separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

daveeb 13-09-2018 18:58

Many thanks for that RE.
What would be my options and cost for keeping the old box as well. It's currently plumbed in close to the router but i'd want to move it from the main tv. Would i need homeplugs to incorporate it into the network (this could be a problem as i already have a couple of tp link homeplugs running my sons xbox 1 from the router).

spiderplant 13-09-2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35963101)
Many thanks for that RE.
What would be my options and cost for keeping the old box as well. It's currently plumbed in close to the router but i'd want to move it from the main tv. Would i need homeplugs to incorporate it into the network (this could be a problem as i already have a couple of tp link homeplugs running my sons xbox 1 from the router).

The old box doesn't *need* to be connected to the SuperHub at all, but if it was, you'd be able to watch recordings from one box to the other. It would need a coax cable feed wherever you are moving it to, though.

You'd have to speak about VM about the cost.

RobboEdin 13-09-2018 20:13

The standard, additional monthly cost is £7.50 but, as always, have a chat with Retentions.

daveeb 13-09-2018 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35963104)
The old box doesn't *need* to be connected to the SuperHub at all, but if it was, you'd be able to watch recordings from one box to the other. It would need a coax cable feed wherever you are moving it to, though.

You'd have to speak about VM about the cost.

Thanks SP i'll see what Virgin have to say.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35963107)
The standard, additional monthly cost is £7.50 but, as always, have a chat with Retentions.

Thanks..probably not worth it as I only want to be able to view some archived football matches from it.

RobboEdin 13-09-2018 20:38

My understanding is that others have reported that you can continue to watch recordings on an old TiVo, even when disconnected from the cable co-ax, as long as you don’t power it down. It does eventually, as I understand, realise it is no longer connected and stop letting you have access to the recordings. Worth leaving it powered and connected to a separate HDMI on your TV?

daveeb 13-09-2018 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35963112)
My understanding is that others have reported that you can continue to watch recordings on an old TiVo, even when disconnected from the cable co-ax, as long as you don’t power it down. It does eventually, as I understand, realise it is no longer connected and stop letting you have access to the recordings. Worth leaving it powered and connected to a separate HDMI on your TV?

Yes i read that as well, but i assumed if i got a V6 they'd want the old one back ?

jfman 13-09-2018 20:52

Possibly, but sometimes not. It can be hit and miss.

I'd chat to retentions (as said above) - depending on your package they might be able to do something and offer you the second box for less than the statutory £7.50 fee.

RobboEdin 13-09-2018 21:44

My understanding is that the only equipment currently wanted back are Hub 3.0s and V6s.

daveeb 13-09-2018 22:11

So the plan is to do the annual retentions call tomorrow, thanks all for the input :tu:

jfman 13-09-2018 22:44

Don't take any nonsense off them - there's been a price rise after all - times are tight ;)

One thing just to watch in any documentation is that they don't try to make it a 9 month discount in a 12 month deal - they've been known to 'forget' that detail.

spiderplant 13-09-2018 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35963123)
My understanding is that the only equipment currently wanted back are Hub 3.0s and V6s.

Some 500GB TiVos are also collected.

raging bull 14-09-2018 05:13

I was told to recycle my Tivo when replaced by V6, currently awaiting visit to tip?

daveeb 14-09-2018 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35963126)
Don't take any nonsense off them - there's been a price rise after all - times are tight ;)

One thing just to watch in any documentation is that they don't try to make it a 9 month discount in a 12 month deal - they've been known to 'forget' that detail.

I actually got what I thought was a reasonable offer ??....£11 off for the first 6 months, goes up £4 on 7th month for another 6 months (but said I could ring back to try to re-negotiaite at this point) but still £7 cheaper than the £72 they were upping the price to for full house tv, weekend phone and 100 MB BB.