Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Locked Rar archive (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33603716)

AndrewJ 18-11-2006 18:22

Locked Rar archive

Hi all

I backed up all my banking and passwords and screenshots into a locked .rar file, now I know the password but for some reason now I extract it on my newly reformatted system the password works files extract but I cannot view anything and I get the no entry message on the folders, as if the windows account lockout is active.

I get the same thing if I was accessing a windows account with private folders.

Only thing is I have no way to get in the damn thing.

Xaccers 18-11-2006 18:26

Re: Locked Rar archive

Is it XP home?

Unfortunately, XP home doesn't give you full NTFS control over files, and if you select "use private folders" and then re-install XP, you'll be able to see the folder with all your old files in, but won't have access.
Sounds like your RAR is remembering the security settings of the files within and they're specific to your old username (which may be the same name, but to the computer it's different).

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

AndrewJ 18-11-2006 18:27

Xp Pro Sp2

opelfruitcase 19-11-2006 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felinix_Devotion (Post 34161322)
Xp Pro Sp2

So right click on the folder containing the rar file and/or extracted files, and as explained above, change ownership. To do this:

- Right click as mentioned above, and click properties.
- Click on the security tab
- Click advanced
- Click on the 'Owner' tab
- Change owner to Administrators
- Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' option.
- Click OK
- Then OK again

OK, now go back in, and this time rather than clicking on the 'Owner' tab, remain on the 'Permissions' tab.

- Ensure full control is given to your username, Administrators and the SYSTEM user.
- Deselect check box for 'Inherit from the parent....' and ensure also that 'Replace permission entries...' is selected.

Try this, see if this works for you. If not, let us know.

AndrewJ 19-11-2006 12:19

Shall do :D

SnoopZ 19-11-2006 12:27

Never keep your banking passwords on your pc, even if its passworded. Hope you get it sorted though. :)

gaffer_gump 19-11-2006 12:55

I use Folder Lock to keep all my personal stuff safe it locks it on 5 different levels and is just about crack proof as long as you have a good masterpass word so they say :D it has a good FAQ section and well worth the monetary outlay I think.

AndrewJ 19-11-2006 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by opelfruitcase (Post 34161566)
So right click on the folder containing the rar file and/or extracted files, and as explained above, change ownership. To do this:

- Right click as mentioned above, and click properties.
- Click on the security tab
- Click advanced
- Click on the 'Owner' tab
- Change owner to Administrators
- Check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' option.
- Click OK
- Then OK again

OK, now go back in, and this time rather than clicking on the 'Owner' tab, remain on the 'Permissions' tab.

- Ensure full control is given to your username, Administrators and the SYSTEM user.
- Deselect check box for 'Inherit from the parent....' and ensure also that 'Replace permission entries...' is selected.

Try this, see if this works for you. If not, let us know.

There is no security tab on the extracted file, it extracts to its folder and name but to access I get "access is denied" when I try to access the folder.

opelfruitcase 21-11-2006 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felinix_Devotion (Post 34161788)
There is no security tab on the extracted file, it extracts to its folder and name but to access I get "access is denied" when I try to access the folder.

Should be if your using XP Pro - I know it wont be there if your using Home though. Try rebooting into safe mode, the security tab I mentioned should be there then.

The Jackal 21-11-2006 17:44

unrar it from linux... Use a livecd and unrar it