Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707507)

Mick 19-03-2019 11:53

Brexit

Due to the last Brexit threads size. I’m starting a new fresh topic and Continuation of Brexit discussion. Prior rules are still in place.

Hugh 19-03-2019 12:01

Re: Brexit(New).

Redwood thinks the Speaker made the right decision

Quote:

the Speaker made the right decision and he united Remain and Leave MPs because we on both sides are very critical of this agreement [Withdrawal Agreement]... it was an entirely neutral judgement."

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 12:07

interestingly, I got my tax summary this morning

my lowest contribution was £150ish which was for the EU , then there was a significant increase to the next lowest which was overseas aid at £250ush

Relative to others are contributions to the EU are teeny.

Hugh 19-03-2019 12:10

James Cleverly (Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party) responded on the Government's behalf about the Bercow ruling (without a trace of irony).

Quote:

"The speaker makes a very fair point that, without changes, the Withdrawal Agreement cannot keep being tabled.

I made the point that, had he made such a statement after the first meaningful vote, it would have informed the decisions of how some MPs voted."
So, MPs may have voted differently had they been aware of all the facts...

Maggy 19-03-2019 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987524)
James Cleverly (Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party) responded on the Government's behalf about the Bercow ruling (without a trace of irony).

:D

Dave42 19-03-2019 12:23

Sky News Politics

Verified account

@SkyNewsPolitics
15m
15 minutes ago

More
"My suspicion is, that this is the end of Brexit."

Tory MP @JGray tells @adamboultonSKY that John Bercow's veto of a third vote on the PM's deal means there is likely to be a "huge" extension to Article 50 and no Brexit.

Damien 19-03-2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987524)

I think there were a few MPs those assumed it was coming back a third time so wanted to signal to their membership how against it they were before 'having' to vote for it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :rolleyes:

1andrew1 19-03-2019 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35987528)
Sky News Politics

Verified account

@SkyNewsPolitics
15m
15 minutes ago

More
"My suspicion is, that this is the end of Brexit."

Tory MP @JGray tells @adamboultonSKY that John Bercow's veto of a third vote on the PM's deal means there is likely to be a "huge" extension to Article 50 and no Brexit.

Does that mean no Brexit ever? If so, you wouldn't need an extension.

RichardCoulter 19-03-2019 13:43

It was being discussed on the BBC last night that there may be ways to get around the speakers decision. One was that they might try and persuade the Queen to prorogue Parliament. A new session could then be started afresh and May could try for the third time as it would be classed as the first time in the new Parliament.

Dave42 19-03-2019 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987531)
I think there were a few MPs those assumed it was coming back a third time so wanted to signal to their membership how against it they were before 'having' to vote for it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :rolleyes:

wonder if the ERG are regretting voting it down now as looking like it gonna come back to bite them in the butt

jfman 19-03-2019 14:03

That’s Theresa writing to Tusk to request an extension. We will be in the European Union on the 30th of March. :)

Mick 19-03-2019 14:08

Nope, law hasn’t changed yet, unless your advocating the law gets broken, until that Statute gets changed, we’re still leaving. Plus, it’s not up to Donald Tusk. 27 other members have to agree, only one veto required to deny the request.

denphone 19-03-2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987545)
That’s Theresa writing to Tusk to request an extension. We will be in the European Union on the 30th of March. :)

Absolutely inevitable giving the never ending omnishambles.

Mick 19-03-2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35987538)
wonder if the ERG are regretting voting it down now as looking like it gonna come back to bite them in the butt

It won’t and as I have already stated, they were not playing stupid games. May’s deal is not Brexit so quite right they should keep voting against it. From some of their tweets, they have no regrets.

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35987548)
Nope, law hasn’t changed yet, unless your advocating the law gets broken, until that Statute gets changed, we’re still leaving. Plus, it’s not up to Donald Tusk. 27 other members have to agree, only one veto required to deny the request.

Honest question, do you think we will actually leave on the 29th ?