Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   VPN recommendations for Kodi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705341)

SnoopZ 02-09-2017 16:37

VPN recommendations for Kodi

I am looking for VPN recommendations, primarily i wish to use one with a Kodi box and Firestick, so i have a few questions.

My setup consists of a VM Hub3 in router mode and i do not wish to buy a dedicated router.

1. Can i pay for a VPN service and easily use it with a Kodi box and Firestick?

2. Best cheap VPN for Kodi streaming?

Kabaal 02-09-2017 16:50

Re: VPN recommendations for Kodi

I use IPVanish on mine (FireTV) which works great. Quite expensive if you pay it monthly but yearly it's about £60.

ExpressVPN and NordVPN are the two others i see getting recommended alongside IPVanish.

Just be aware that most VPNs don't work on first gen Firesticks, if you have the newer one you'll be fine.

Edit - to check if you have the 1st Gen on 2nd Gen Fire stick look at the number on the back.

Gen 1 = 2ABDU-0509
Gen 2 = 2AE6S-0948

SnoopZ 02-09-2017 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35914974)
I use IPVanish on mine (FireTV) which works great. Quite expensive if you pay it monthly but yearly it's about £60.

ExpressVPN and NordVPN are the two others i see getting recommended alongside IPVanish.

Just be aware that most VPNs don't work on first gen Firesticks, if you have the newer one you'll be fine.

Edit - to check if you have the 1st Gen on 2nd Gen Fire stick look at the number on the back.

Gen 1 = 2ABDU-0509
Gen 2 = 2AE6S-0948

I have a Gen 1 Firestick so if i go with a VPN i guess i will buy another Kodi box.

What do i need to do to install a VPN onto a Kodi box is it just a case of changing some settings on the box? I guess i can't change any settings on the Hub3 router?

Kabaal 02-09-2017 17:16

Not sure how it is on other android boxes but on the Fire TV it has an app for IPVanish you can just search for on the box and install, you might have to install via ES File Explorer for some other providers but it's easy enough. Then you sign in, choose the server location you want to use (has them all over the world) and hit connect.

If i remember right i had to change the protocol setting on the app to UDP to get good speeds, on it's default setting it was really slow.

No you can't change settings on the SH's for a VPN unfortunately, you'd need your own router for that.

SnoopZ 02-09-2017 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35914981)
Not sure how it is on other android boxes but on the Fire TV it has an app for IPVanish you can just search for on the box and install, you might have to install via ES File Explorer for some other providers but it's easy enough. Then you sign in, choose the server location you want to use (has them all over the world) and hit connect.

If i remember right i had to change the protocol setting on the app to UDP to get good speeds, on it's default setting it was really slow.

No you can't change settings on the SH's for a VPN unfortunately, you'd need your own router for that.

Do i have to manually run the VPN app each time or can i set it up to always be on?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)

Kabaal 02-09-2017 18:07

Depends what you're doing, if it's for things like Netflix etc you can just leave it running but I find that it blocks access to my local content via Kodi so i turn it off and on depending what i'm doing. There's probably a workaround for that but i haven't bothered looking into it much to find out.

Qtx 04-09-2017 12:44

That is probably a flaw or feature of that particular app as usually local IP addresses won't get routed over a VPN.

I run a different VPN providers app on android and I can still access my NAS just fine. Same if I use the generic OpenVPN app.

pip08456 04-09-2017 19:11

I use VPNarea.

doreen12 15-09-2017 12:58

Well, there are a lot of popular VPN companies like Pure VPN, Express VPN, ZenMate etc. Maybe you've already heard of them, but they are supposed to be good ;) There's actually been a lot of talk recently about using Raspberry Pi to set up a VPN, which I find pretty fascinating :) It's apparently not as expensive as people think, and has strong encryption and good connectivity. Maybe that's something for you?

RichardCoulter 15-09-2017 13:43

There are some free VPN's out there, but people have been warned not to expose their online traffic to a free unknown party for obvious reasons.

benny79 20-09-2017 18:01

You are always best served having a VPN running when using KODI, not just to hide your tracks from the law but also to unlock some of the geo restrictive addons as they will not work in most countries. I was using http://www.vpn01.com on my home router in Perth and worked fine for unblocking BBC content in Australia.

OLD BOY 16-07-2018 16:39

Perhaps this is a timely opportunity to remind everyone of the risk of prosecution if they intend to use illegal sites for streaming purposes.

Many people seem to believe that as long as they are not themselves distributing or sharing, they are safe.

However, they are not, and they are entrusting criminals with their bank details. Quite a big risk to take, IMO.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/07/...er-jailed.html

SnoopZ 16-07-2018 17:04

I don't give anyone bank details while using Kodi, it's no different from streaming stuff off an internet web page the way I use it.

But there are people stupid enough to pay for something like this I agree, Kodi is still a legal piece of software though that can easily be installed.

pip08456 30-07-2018 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiewilliams (Post 35957224)
I advise you to go for express vpn.its the best vpn for kodi.but for more confirmation.you can read express vpn reviews from here https://www.vpnranks.com/expressvpn-review/ I am personally using it for many years.

Merely your opinion.

djfunkdup 31-07-2018 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35957238)
Merely your opinion.

Doh stating the obvious or what :dunce: lol Of course it was just his opinion the same as your post was just your opinion.:dozey:

And btw for a 62 year old Woman you look very young.I'd love to know your secrets for looking so youthful :D