Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Huge fire at West London tower block (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705008)

Gavin78 15-06-2017 22:30

Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35903526)
There seems to be a growing anger as to why our Prime Minister hasn't met with the survivors, residents and volunteers.

Maybe because until there is an investigation there is nothing more she can do. She wont be able to answer any of their questions it would make her look stupid. perhaps once things are settled down a bit she will pay a visit to them.

richard s 15-06-2017 22:36

There was a report that a guy knocked on a neighbours door and said I have a fire in my kitchen my fridge has caught alight.

What happened about this report.

Gary L 15-06-2017 23:37

A lot of people are claiming it's social cleansing.
Theresa didn't want to know the victims. and by all accounts the council won't take their finger out of their arse either.

TheDaddy 15-06-2017 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35903557)
I can't explain anything because:

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YET

Let me know if I can explain further, you know, for the hard of thinking.

There's plenty of questions that can and have been asked and can be answered without knowing the full cause of the fire like some of those posed in parliament today, I'd have thought being such a deep thinker you'd have realised that.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35903565)
A lot of people are claiming it's social cleansing.
Theresa didn't want to know the victims. and by all accounts the council won't take their finger out of their arse either.

That's one of the questions pierre doesn't think can be explained, why the council haven't coordinated any of the local volunteering, people from all over the country have come down to help but no one from the council as of this afternoon

Stephen 15-06-2017 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35903561)
There was a report that a guy knocked on a neighbours door and said I have a fire in my kitchen my fridge has caught alight.

What happened about this report.

I mentioned that in my earlier post. He was in a flat on the 4th floor. Where it is reported the fire started. He said that his neighbour woke him up banging on the door and after they all got outside the mant was talking to the firemen about the exploding fridge.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35903560)
Maybe because until there is an investigation there is nothing more she can do. She wont be able to answer any of their questions it would make her look stupid. perhaps once things are settled down a bit she will pay a visit to them.

Generally it just to show she actually cares. Speaking with some of the survivors a bit like The London Mayor did and same with Jeremy Corbyn and thy were praised for doing so.

Many people see it as disrespectful or that she doesn't care. However the excuse was that she only met the emergency services as she was gathering info on wether an enquiry was needed. Of course it is!

Gary L 15-06-2017 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35903566)
That's one of the questions pierre doesn't think needs explaining, why the council haven't coordinated any of the local volunteering, people from all over the country have come down to help but no one from the council as of this afternoon

What's the saying? he doth protesteth too much?

you have to wonder why the council don't want to know. why they just stand back and let the public fend for themselves.

denphone 16-06-2017 05:35

Why can't some leave their bloody politics out of this thread for once.:rolleyes:

GrimUpNorth 16-06-2017 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35903574)
Why can't some leave their bloody politics out of this thread for once.:rolleyes:

Because some people don't seem to be able to coexist with anyone who isn't blue to their core. They need to get out more.

Cheers

Dave

Damien 16-06-2017 06:37

Apparently the cladding put outside the tower is banned on Germany and the US due to safety concerns. There were nonflammable versions but cost only slightly more but which were not used.

denphone 16-06-2017 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35903582)
Apparently the cladding put outside the tower is banned on Germany and the US due to safety concerns. There were nonflammable versions but cost only slightly more but which were not used.

Apparently it would have cost £5,000 more which is a drop in the ocean compared to making peoples accommodation safer and saving lives..

Maggy 16-06-2017 08:24

To drag politics back into the mix. How about an interview with the new labour MP for Kensington who incidentally lives in the borough..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...MCNEWEML6619I2

Chris 16-06-2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35903582)

I wonder what it's going to cost now all that cladding will have to be removed and replaced ...

Damien 16-06-2017 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35903589)
I wonder what it's going to cost now all that cladding will have to be removed and replaced ...

Something that should have started yesterday IMO. Whatever the actual cause and failings are found there seems to be a consensuses that this cladding dramatically increased the speed at which the fire spread. A consensus which is only backed up by the fact it's already been banned in several countries as it's highly flammable.

There are reportedly six towers which this specific cladding. They should have it removed ASAP as well as money made available to start the process of ensuring each tower block has working fire alarms and sprinkler systems.

denphone 16-06-2017 09:08

There were recommendations made to install fire suppression systems and sprinkler systems in tower blocks in 2013 but none of it was acted on as also The All-Party Parliamentary Fire and Rescue Group has been demanding changes to building regulations on fire safety since 2013.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ower-fire.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politic...f-sat-10620357

Chris 16-06-2017 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35903590)
Something that should have started yesterday IMO. Whatever the actual cause and failings are found there seems to be a consensuses that this cladding dramatically increased the speed at which the fire spread. A consensus which is only backed up by the fact it's already been banned in several countries as it's highly flammable.

There are reportedly six towers which this specific cladding. They should have it removed ASAP as well as money made available to start the process of ensuring each tower block has working fire alarms and sprinkler systems.

You don't have to be a fire safety expert to see that the outside of the building was on fire, and ferociously so. There is no way a fire in a fourth floor kitchen should spread to the top of the building under any circumstances whatsoever. There simply shouldn't be enough flammable material in the basic fabric of the building to allow it. Yet someone thought it was a great idea to put flammable material all the way up the outside of the building, pretty much ensuring that any fire serious enough to blow out any one window could then spread right across the whole structure. This is an utter, utter national scandal of the highest order, and would have been so even if nobody had died. But a lot of people did die, and it seems some of them are so badly burned they may never be identified.