Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   General : TV Show Renewals & Cancellations (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677755)

pip08456 15-06-2021 22:43

Re: Renewals & Cancellations

Funnily General, Joe Mallozzi was talking about Netflix and Dark Matter yesterday. His take on it is this.

The streamer has the license for the first 3 seasons which are still being watched. Why would the streamer pay for another season if it cannot see an increase in subscribers?

Makes sense.

General Maximus 15-06-2021 23:33

When you have reached peak subscribers/saturation, given the competition with so many emerging streaming services, surely the paradigm shifts from acquiring new subscribers to retaining existing ones (especially when you are at a uniquely high level) and in that case you need to provide the content the fanbase want; quality over quantity. Even though it has been a few years now, I would love to watch a new season of Dark Matter and I would watch seasons 1-3 again first as well. Bring it back!

pip08456 15-06-2021 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36083377)
When you have reached peak subscribers/saturation, given the competition with so many emerging streaming services, surely the paradigm shifts from acquiring new subscribers to retaining existing ones (especially when you are at a uniquely high level) and in that case you need to provide the content the fanbase want; quality over quantity. Even though it has been a few years now, I would love to watch a new season of Dark Matter and I would watch seasons 1-3 again first as well. Bring it back!

I agree wholeheartedly but it appears the streamers don't look at it this way, yet...

Paul 16-06-2021 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36083363)
Why would the streamer pay for another season if it cannot see an increase in subscribers?

Makes sense.

It doesnt really make a lot of sense, if that were the logic then why would they make any new shows at all ?

Also, Im sure people are still watching Lucifer Seasons 1 - 3, but they still went ahead with S04, then S05, and even a S06 no one expected.

Paul 25-06-2021 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36082166)
Shadow and Bone renewed by Netflix. Second season will premiere sometime in 2022.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36082296)
Interesting, I have Season 1 on my PC to watch over the summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36082305)
You are going to love it

Well I dont think I actually 'loved' it, but overall it was enjoyable.
It was a little slow at times, especially the middle episodes, but finally got going. :)

I will certainly watch Season 2 when it gets released.

General Maximus 25-06-2021 20:11

It did my head in and usually when that happens you think it is the best thing since sliced bread ;)

Paul 26-06-2021 00:22

Pretty much anything does you head in.
It seems long ago lost sight of the fact these programmes are for entertainment, not 'realism'.

General Maximus 28-06-2021 07:56

and they are more entertaining the more realistic and believable they are. The Expanse being a prime example.

heero_yuy 28-06-2021 09:56

Quote:

Quote from The Sun: Unlikely farmer Jeremy Clarkson has landed a second series of his hit Clarkson’s Farm after the show broke all records on Amazon Prime Video.

The eight-parter let us into the life of The Grand Tour presenter on his Diddly Squat farm in the Cotswolds – mucking in with animals, dealing with dodgy weather, uncooperative crops and an agricultural nightmare brought on by the pandemic.

<snip>

"It’s rated five stars on Amazon and has a 9.3 rating on IMDB, which is practically unheard of.

Paul 28-06-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36084619)
and they are more entertaining the more realistic and believable they are. The Expanse being a prime example.

Simply not true.
Something does not need to be realistic or believable to be entertaining.

The Expanse is not really very realistic either.
Wormholes to other solar systems, Proto molecules ...
Even the speed they manage to zap around our solar system.

Very little Sci-Fi, or Fantasy, is realistic (Magic ? Vampires ? nope ....)

Jaymoss 28-06-2021 19:29

GM admitted he believes that only his tastes are valid. I now just do not take any of his posts on these subjects seriously now

pip08456 29-06-2021 18:14

Good Omens renewed for a Second season by Amazon.

Paul 29-06-2021 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36084813)
Good Omens renewed for a Second season by Amazon.

Crikey, that took a long time (but good to hear :))

General Maximus 12-07-2021 01:33

Cursed has been cancelled

Paul 12-07-2021 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085942)
Cursed has been cancelled

I watched it, and it was ok, but nothing special, I wont miss a second season.